2901 Bayview Ave
Toronto, ON M2K 1E6Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://originnorth.com/
- Phone: 4164798833x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner nightly from 4pm to close;
Lunch Monday through Friday from 11.30am to 4pm;
Saturday 11am to 4pm
Sunday 10am to 4pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Claudio Aprile
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Please contact our events department for all special event and catering inquiries.
A word from Origin North
Origin was born out of Chef Claudio Aprile's desire to create a spontaneous, high energy restaurant that serves ingredients at the height of their season. Our large, naturally-lit space is great for all occasions that demand fresh, creative food, and first-rate service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Origin North reviews from OpenTable diners
310 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (126)good for groups (112)special occasion (93)great for lunch (74)neighborhood gem (73)great for outdoor dining (73)great for brunch (58)hot spot (42)romantic (39)kid-friendly (35)vibrant bar scene (26)notable wine list (18)late-night find (13)scenic view (5)Show More
- wrong use of fusion cuisinefoodheraldDined on 7/5/2013The restaurant is overpriced for the microscopic and expensive portions of "fusion tapas" it offers. Their creation of tapas with elements of european, north american and asian dishes combined together frequently ends up in unorthodox and "un"tasty tastes. The decor is minimalistic and not inspiring with the exception of the washrooms (very good). Wines are overpriced as well; the concrete floors contribute to a rather noisy environment. Some of ts tapas are ok, just some. You end up paying $300+ for a party of 4 with 2 bottles of cheap wine and after you leave you feel hungry again.Special Features:
- All round FantasticHappy2galDined on 7/5/2013Great ambiance delicious food wonderful service!!!will definitely come back !!! Chef Oliver promised me a Shiraz for my birthday celebration and he delivered even though it was not on the wine list.Many thanks.Special Features:
- REFRESHING ADDITION TO BAYVIEWOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2013Have been there twice and enjoyed the experience. The Lobster Ceviche w. Plaintain Chips, Sweet Chili Chicken w. Shrimp Cracker, the Bankok Beef, and the Tapioca and Coconut Pudding w. Glazed banana were all superb. Service was prompt and courteous. Dining el fresco was a delight. We look forward to returning often. Claudio Aprile and staff....keep up the excellent work!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Origin North ReviewFood4thoughtDined on 7/4/2013The restaurant is beautiful and lunch and dessert were excellent. Our server was pleasant but didn't offer us a drink when we sat down. We weren't asked if we wanted dessert after finishing lunch. Also, she had to be told to wipe the table before serving dessert. The restaurant was quite noisy so it didn't exactly give a relaxed feel to the place.Special Features:
- Interesting, new and freshNapoleon77Dined on 7/3/2013Despite the horrible experience at the door, our server Dana made up for it. She was simply excellent- explaining the menu, different flavours, concept and background of the restaurant. One of the best servers we have had in many dining experiences throughout the world. Food was also excellent. We had the sugar snow peas, Spanish fries, curried shrimp, chili chicken and crab legs. Dessert called second rush was also amazing with a homemade cheesecake, truffle, mini lava cake and a caramel candy floss that our daughter loved. Kudos to Dana our server and Lisa at the front door! Jessica and Aaron need lessons on making first impressions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall: mediocreGrt4eatingDined on 7/3/2013Yet another mediocre resto on the scene...very pretty food.... Small portions and lots of kinks to be worked out! Expensive and limited menu. Won't go back for a long time... Nothing new here.Special Features:
- Delicious, creative dishes.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/3/2013Delicious, creative dishes. Shrimp curry, duck, miso cod excellent. Service a bit disorganized and drinks slow to arrive. Not enough servers for a busy restaurant. Noise level high. Need time work out some service issues but food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJDiamondDined on 7/3/2013New and interesting variety of items on the menu. Very tasty. Dessert was fun and delicious!Special Features:
- Not Worth ItPickyEaterDined on 7/3/2013Expensive and pretentious with mediocre food at best.
- Excellent and unusual foodLoloDined on 7/3/2013Excellent and unusual food served by very pleasant staff in a well designed space.Special Features:
- Great addition to Bayview VillageAmaliak99Dined on 7/2/2013Amazing food, great for sharing and wonderful atmosphere. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, different . a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/2/2013good, different . a little bit expensive,its word it to try. nice for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charging $3:50 per bottleDocchefVIPDined on 7/2/2013Charging $3:50 per bottle o Q water is riduculous, At least refrigerate it before servingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely outdoor dining spaceMiumiuDined on 7/2/2013We went for lunch on a cloudy day and notice there is a huge outdoor dining space. It's all covered so you don't have to worry about rain. Food is great and drinks are exceptional. We will definitely go back for dinner and brunch. Service is slow and servers looked lost most of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best BurgerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/2/2013I'm not one to order a burger at a restaurant and for $17.00, I wasn't inclined to do so on my first visit to this restaurant but my friend and I were sharing a number of menu options and she asked if we could also share the burger. Well it was amazing! The quality of the meat, the bun, the toppings made this burger the best burger I've had. It was moist and it had a bit of zing to it. The next time I order a burger there I won't be sharing it with anyone! We also shared the pea risotto and crusty calamari which we really enjoyed as well but I have to say the burger was the star of our meal.Special Features:
- more choice north of 401OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/30/2013Origin North sits inside a nice building. The entrance is not that obvious if you park inside the mall but it is definitely a plus to have a bus stop and subway station close by. The menu is priced similar to O&B therefore it is good to see some good competition. I am glad to see downtown restaurant opening spots north of 401. The patio is not facing Shepard which is good and the tall enclosure gives it some privacy. The servicing staff is polite but the service need some fine tuning. They just opened two weeks ago so hopefully they will work out the kinks in the coming weeks. The food is good but I don't know how it compares to Origin downtown. The use of liquid nitrogen is probably the first north of 401!!Special Features:
- Only desserts were amazing!Angie12Dined on 6/30/2013We found the seating awkward for 2 people- being sat at a bar. I had to keep craning my neck to talk.... Not very relaxing.... Also for the prices, the food was too little.... And the menu was not varied enough. If you're only going to serve small portions Then every thing on the menu better blow you away and I didn't find that at all. I only found the desserts different enough and Amazing.... Would only go back for the desserts unfortunately :(Special Features:
- trying too hard to be chicGettogethersDined on 6/30/2013Our server had a bored expression all the while taking our order. She was borderline rude; I felt like we should not have bothered her. Our questions were answered with "What?". The food was passable but order was not correct. We order pasta with sausage but only the pasta came. It took another 10 minutes to bring the sausage. Overall, it was not a pleasant experience. I think chef may try to create a chic and upscale atmosphere here but came across as snobby. I think the restaurant totally missed the mark of good customer service. My friends and I are always on a lookout for good lunch places for our get together but this is totally disappointing.
- Great first experienceFuntodineDined on 6/30/2013Service was friendly efficient and courtious. Salmon and pasta salad served with it were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing addition to the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2013It is great to have something other than O&B Grill in the area (Origin North is a massive step up in food quality, creativity and excitement, of course). Sat at the raw bar and got to see several of the chefs (including owner Claudio Aprile) in action. The Burger is one of the best I've had in the city, right up there with Nota Bene's and Marben's. The Spicy Spanish Fries were amazing (one of the heavier items we ordered, as they are loaded with chorizo), as was the Lobster Seviche and the Oysters. We loved the Bufala mozzarella with pear, pine nuts, honey and rosemary oil on crostini and also really enjoyed the Bangkok Beef dish. Dessert was great as well. We had the Tapioca and Coconut Pudding and the Doughnut. Amazing service all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst anniversary dinner ever!!!KikiDined on 6/29/2013We made a res for 3 ppl and we noted that we were celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary and they reconfirmed the res and the #of ppl. When we got there they acted as if we were lying about the res being for 3ppl and did not even say Happy Anniversary. We lived in NYC for many years and have eaten at many amazing restaurants so we were excited that North York would have a similar type of restaurant & we are so disappointed with our experience. 1. Rude clueless staff (food delivered to the wrong table over and over again) 2. Mediocre food 3. Loud music 4. Inattentive service (guests ignored, even turned away w/lots of tables open) We will NEVER eat here again and we will NEVER tell anyone (friends or clients) to try this restaurant!!
- Love the TapasMarsBarDined on 6/28/2013We dined at Origin on Fri nite. I was wondering how this would go as I know the restaurant had just opened the prior evening. This was not a concern at all. The resto was busy but the staff were on top of it. The kitchen was at full function with our tapas arriving hot, on time and delicious. All the food was delicious. I loved the devil eggs(their specialty) the curried shrimp with nan and the beet salad. Our waiter helped me with ordering and did a brilliant job. Will definately return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try Origin North this weekend.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2013Try Origin North this weekend. I was expecting something really spectacular but was left disappointed. Just another restaurant in North York in my mind. Deserts are worth trying though. I would give lower marks if not for the wonderful desert!Special Features:
- Fun experienceTuomasDined on 6/28/2013We live a across the street and we've been waiting for ages to check this out. They officially opened last week. If you've been to the other Origin restaurants you know what you're going to get.....great food. My only real issue with the night was the waiter just sort of popped up out of nowhere and occasionally interrupted our conversation. Then as one point he asked how I was enjoying the cocktail....next thing I know it was gone (with just under a 1/4 left). *we learned that there are only 2 tables for 2, so you better make reservations (like we did) and hope you get a table. We weren't fortunate enough to get a table, we got seating at the Mozzarella Bar (which was still cool). Welcome to the neightbourhood Origin North!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bayview village gemluv2dineDined on 6/28/2013did not feel like I was anywhere near a mall server wasn't great but the greeters and manager was very accomodating food was great but the french fries were a little over cooked I would definitely return and recommend to a friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates with big plate pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/27/2013Trendy, very pricey for small plates. We left hungry. We live in the area and can afford to eat there but it just ends up costing you double what you would normally pay because you have to order a lot to feel satiated.
- We ordered three sandwiches.JohnDined on 6/27/2013We ordered three sandwiches. One was ok, two were bad, the bread was soggy. Your knives have a nice shape, but they did not cut the soggy bread. I was asking for a better knife, the waiter said that you did not have any. The noise level was not "energetic", it was loud. Your competitors in the other building are much better both for a meal or for a sandwich (Bonacini, Pusateri, etc.)
- Worthy of the location.WheresthebeefVIPDined on 6/25/2013List of rules at time of making a reservation somewhat off-putting. Earn a reputation first.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good idea gone wrongRestreturneeDined on 6/24/2013A huge space, interesting décor, au courant with sharing size dishes, scuppered by blaring music which was turned down briefly when we commented that conversation across the table was impossible. The food was good, if Spartan in portions, The serving staff was helpful but perhaps could provide more details about the potential sharing ability of the individual dish. Great desserts, but on the whole, too expensive for what it is -- a new neighborhood restaurant not destined to become a destination restaurant. And because it is outside the Mall people will think twice about returning if food, service and parking are not a good part of the whole package,Special Features:
- Food quality was good butVCOTDined on 6/23/2013Food quality was good but only very limit choice on menu. We were told their appetizers are great for sharing so we ordered a few to share (Oysters, Lobster Ceviche, Mozzarella, Spicy Spanish fries) but some dishes weren't that share friendly and portions are small in general. Our server was nice but seems fairly new and lack of knowledge in some dishes. I think this place is more fit for happy hour than dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good, free parking!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/22/2013But would choose different menu items next time. Though they were good, they were deep fried. The menu has a sweet chili chicken, but no mention of it being deep fried! Also fried - calamari, and broccoli. Beef- not fried and delish. Downtown menu has many more choices for hot food. Risotto was runny like soup. Dessert was dulche de leche with yogurt and lemon cake. Was nice, not fab. Coffee came after we had already finished the dessert. Best dish of the night was the bufual mozzeralla with truffle oil. They also don't bring a bread basket. This is good for the waistline, but it seems cheap. They push their salsa, chips and popcorn on you to nosh on. Restaurant was not busy for a Saturday night. Decor was cool and booths were comfy.Special Features:
- Must GoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/22/2013The best food, best presentation you have ever seen in north Toronto !!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good for uptownmelatoninDined on 6/21/2013Tried out Origins North during its second opening weekend. While the menu is fairly safe, most dishes have beautiful presentations that over delivery from the description of the menu. Though none of the dishes smacked you with the "wow" factor, they were all pretty solid. In comparison with other restaurants in the area and with uptown western style restaurant choices in general, Origin North seems to be a very good option for those too lazy to venue downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressivePinnheadVIPDined on 6/21/2013Efficient, friendly, professional service. The food was very well prepared and presented. Went for lunch, the sandwiches were amazing, the fries were perfect. Wines by the glass are a decent price. Can't wait to return for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible service and the musicdisappointedDined on 6/20/2013Terrible service and the music was way to loud. Unfortunately will not be returning for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/18/2013We live across the street, but we will not be going back. Despite making reservations and an empty restaurant, we were placed at the bar. We requested to be changed to one of the many empty tables, however, we were told there were reserved. After 2 hours, the seats were still empty; another couple made a fuzz about being sat at the bar and were seated in one of the empty tables. Food was tasty, however, the delicious flavors were quickly replaced by a bitter taste, when the bus boy spilled the broth from the plate onto our lap, requiring to dry clean our clothes; no apologies were offered. Furthermore, for the first time in a restaurant, we had someone hover over our shoulder, literally, while entering the code for our visa.
- Ready or not? I guess not yet.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2013Let me start with my attempt to reserve a table for 2 with the OpenTable app for lunch at 12pm, which it did not allow us. I thought because it just opened and there must be line ups to get in especially for the restaurants reputation of excellence. We showed up for allocated time slot at 1:30pm, and the place was busy on their patio, but the indoor dining area was almost empty, I'm sure we could of been seated at noon. We were informed of the limited bar selection & the style of tapas for sharing. We ordered an appetizer & 2 mains. Our appetizer was mistakenly delivered to another table, which was left for them to enjoy will we waited for another plate to be prepared, all the food was tasty but not so abundant to share. Maybe next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some of the dishes were tastyFoodieVIPDined on 6/17/2013Some of the dishes were tasty but we were disappointed with the miso cod. It tasted fishy!
- Disappointing first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2013The decor inside was nice and seemed modern but comfortable. The service was a bit disjointed in terms of when items were brought out. Also when asked about the drinks/food, feedback was given but nothing was really done other than, "Oh, that's not good. I'll let the chefs know." The staff just didn't seem to know what they were doing. In terms of the food, the menu seems to go in the direction of fusing various flavours, but unfortunately the dishes that were ordered, everyone at the table could agree just didn't work. We ordered 3 appetizers and 4 entrees amongst 4 people. I could break down each plate as we all tried a bit of everything, but as mentioned, nothing really worked. Too bad. I was hoping it would be a neighbourhood gem.
- Great time with great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/13/2013Went to Origin north for my 32 birthday. I've been to the other origin's. this one is the newest restaurant. I went before their grand opening. The menu is like the original Origin with a few add ons. I enjoyed each plate I got. Churizo fries, duck wrap and honey pine nut with fiore Di latte are amazing. They have a pretzel with mustard seeds that's amazing. Shall be returning g when the fully open up and enjoy their patio. The waiter Josh was friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.