Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
244 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (119)great for outdoor dining (111)fit for foodies (108)good for groups (100)vibrant bar scene (83)hot spot (80)great for lunch (63)great for brunch (59)special occasion (58)scenic view (44)romantic (44)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (21)Show More
- Great serviceLouieNYDined on 7/19/2014This was our second visit, we went to brunch the first time. This time it was dinner with friends which included an elderly woman. The Maitre D was unbelievably accommodating and made sure she was comfortable. The service was great and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- An Excellent Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I had a great dinner at Virtue on Saturday evening. Service provided by Luke was phenomenal. The entrees (skirt steak & pan seared salmon) were delicious. The quinoa salad was an absolute let-down though. I believe that item should be removed from the menu or completely reworked with different ingredients and a more balanced ratio of quinoa to other items in the salad. We ate outside on an unseasonably cool July evening (79 degrees!), which was perfect. The inside of the restaurant was incredibly loud and likely would have been a far less satisfying experience ambience-wise. I'll definitely be going back, but I'll wait for another perfect weather day so I can dine outside again.Special Features:
- First Time and I'll go BackNuts4CoffeeVIPDined on 7/19/2014I've wanted to try Virtue ever since they opened. I made the reservation and it was early dinner on a Saturday night. Actually worked out perfectly as we were able to get the open porch area on the second floor with a view of the river. The menu is just right and offers wonderful choices but I went with the Chef's Seadfood Selection for the evening and it was wonderful. If I had anything to be critical about it was the service. Our waiter was more attentive to the table of young women behind us, he left the dishes on the table long after we were done and only checked on us once during our dinner. When I return he will not be our waiter. Also, food temp was not what it should have been because it had been waiting a while to serve.Special Features:
- Virtue, Feed, and Grainfoodie4lifeDined on 7/19/2014This restaurant offers a rustic atmosphere and nice farm to table food. You'll enjoy time with friends either inside or outside. The patio offers many available tables with umbrellas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ServiceCrucitaDined on 7/16/2014First time visitor. Overall a nice experience. Next time I will invite more friends because it is excellent for groups and after office gatherings. Kudos to the service! They made us feel special.Special Features:
- Always good!PuddlePirateDined on 7/14/2014I took my friends and their 10 month old baby here, nervous that it might not be child friendly... boy, was I wrong! A reservation for 5:30 on a weekday was perfect. We got the full dinner service and we were one of 3-4 tables with babies/kids. Everyone had a good time and we didn't interfere with the young single professional crowd enjoying themselves at the bar upstairs. As always, the food and drinks were great and I will certainly be eating here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good .... and yetYumyum1Dined on 7/13/2014We did have to send back an entree because the tomato sauce on it was too salty to eat. Additionally, the entrees were slow to arrive. But, the crab dip and the hummus are worth a return visit. Truly delish. Swordfish was superb--very fresh. A bit noisy but they gave us the quietest possible table, as requested.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experienceAlexandriaLocalVIPDined on 7/13/2014Really had a great time, service was excellent, food was exceptional, loved the lively scene, wish we could have stayed all evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experienceGoRavensVIPDined on 7/13/2014This place has fantastic and creative food - definitely try the mac & cheese! The service was also phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/13/2014I've been to Virtue Feed & Grain twice for brunch. Good food with nice presentation. I had the chicken and waffles which were well flavored and light. My eating companion indicated the crabcakes were good though pretty small for the price. The ambience is casual chic with movable booths, two floors both with bars, tvs, and curtains for a little privacy on the second floor. Service is good too attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Over-hypedOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/12/2014This place is always busy with a really long wait if you don't have a reservation. My friend and I got the Mac & Cheese to share which was really good. It's on the menu as an appetizer, but would be better as a side. It's filling. My friend got the skirt steak. He expected it to be a little tough as skirt steak usually is, but this was chewy. He gave up after a few bites when his jaw was tired. I had Not Your Mom's Chicken Dinner. Very tasty, but extremely salty. Asparagus was cooked perfectly. No room for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time in Old Town Alexandria.foodNfunDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful place to bring new friends and visitors to DC. Ask for Mara! She is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jst4FnVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great location, fabulous food...too loud, wouldn't go back unless I sat outside. We visitied on a Saturday night and although we had reservations, we waited for a very nice table. The restaurant was packed, primarily with a younger crowd. The restaurant has a wonderful rustic decor, however, the surfaces are all hard with nothing to soften the noise. There are many other great restaurants in the area with a lower noise level and that's likely where you'll find me in the future. Too bad, as I said the food was wonderful.Special Features:
- Disappointedlovegr8foodDined on 7/12/2014The cleanliness was poor: dirty floors with broken glass and trash under our table and seats; flies in abundance -everywhere; dirty glasses, etc. Service was slow and not friendly! This was a birthday celebration, which I noted in my online generated reservation, and the hostess and wait staff acted as if they had never heard of birthdays. The humus appetizer was not properly made, so the waiter took it back to the kitchen and smashed avocado slices into the remains in the dish instead of remaking the dish. The waiter never checked on us, and we had to flag him or others down in order to get service. Poor service!
- Always a good decisionHBearVIPDined on 7/10/2014Delicious and delightful. If you haven't been to Virtue yet, you need to fix that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drinksDee115401VIPDined on 7/10/2014Great dining at Virtue Food and Grain. Food was good and the energy is great. The service can be a little slow because they are always crowded. But the managers always step up and take care of you. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good but noisyTastesRVariedDined on 7/8/2014Nicely decorated but put at a table that had little space and it was hard to get in. Food was good and good service. Like the fact that they use only fresh local food. Restaurant was very noisy (bad acoustics) and had to yell to be heard by others across the table. Might be better for drinks.
- Brunch with the touristsRCinEastYorkDined on 7/6/2014A very pleasant space in a great location in Old Town Alexandria. Service was spotty, though (long waits for beverages), and the food was mediocre (and some of it arrived cold, although there were only four in our party). Aimed at tourists, I assume, who just need to be lured in once, not convinced to come back.
- Tasty brunch with friendly serviceHappyCustomerDined on 7/6/2014This was our second visit to Virtue, first time for brunch and again we weren't disappointed in the food or service. I had the chicken and waffles which was delicious! My husband had crab benedict and bloody mary and enjoyed both very much. When we needed to make a quick exit as our 20 month old was starting to melt down, our friendly server quickly gave us and processed our bill so our wild animal could roam free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodYummyDined on 7/5/2014Our waiter was great and the food came out hot. Came for an outdoor lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always goodDCWorkerDined on 7/4/2014We just love Virtue Feed and Grain-we've never had bad service and have always enjoyed what we've ordered.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014We eat out frequently and live in the Old Town area so we've eaten at Virtue Feed & Grain before and the service was good when there aren't many patrons. Our last experience was probably the worst service I've ever received. We sat for over 15 minutes and still did not have our beverage order taken, let alone order our lunch. Could not get our server's attention many times when he was near. We were not impressed so we left and will not be returning. The staff in general has a rather tepid approach to customer service and there are too many other restaurants in the area that do know what service is supposed to be.
- Amazing food, great drinks!KrystaDined on 7/4/2014Had a Bloody Mary with lunch and it was astoundingly good. No mixes here, they make it themselves from whole food. Like the rest of the menu, there is wonderful attention to detail. I haven't had anything here that wasn't amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent food in cool spotLutzpsbcDined on 7/2/2014We had the lamb and skirt steak. Both were outstanding. Very cool buildout of an old building. We also got out of there for $66 + tip! Very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday DinnerTobeinerinDined on 6/29/2014Chose Virtue for dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. Got seated right away Server showed up, but was gone for a bit before first drink was able to be ordered. Food was excellent, as well as timing of food. Was NOT happy with seat location at the last table, along the brick wall, on the 1st floor. I was in the chair seat on the aisle. The restaurant was extremely busy and noisy. I was so close to the serving station, kitchen and outside doorway, that it was distracting and annoying. I had to lean in to even hear anything. Needless to say, seat location ruined the meal and the visit. Mentioned to the manager when asked how dinner was. Was told they needed to build a lonegr wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!CorinnellDined on 6/29/2014I've been here twice, and the food was amazing both time. Their crab dip is to die for and I'm really partial to their fish tacos. The second time I was there they were serving "bottomless" bloody marys, which were outstanding. They also have a great list of local beers on draft. The upstairs tables next to the windows are great. I haven't sat outside, but their outdoor tables are always bustling. They do get busy, but the wait staff is very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a grouplkjdinesVIPDined on 6/24/2014We went there for a post work event. Everyone loved it! Great food and service. I will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- The following 345 reviews are from the Virtue Feed & Grain reviews archive.
- Veggie Burger DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014Ordered the veggie burger. Quite spicy but didn't indicate so on the menu. Disappointed with my choice.
- Love this place!FoodieWannaBeDined on 6/22/2014Great food (try the Braised Short Ribs Rostadas - dreamy good, as was the Heirloom Tomato Panzanella). Awesome beer menu. Service was spot on - she seemed to always be there when we wanted something but never was when we didn't. Professional all around, everyone on the staff is friendly and helpful. Also, they did an amazing job of converting the old bookstore into a gorgeous space of their own. I can't think of any negatives to give you - this place is really terrific, and we've been here about a half dozen times, so we have fully tested it! We don't normally like to come outside the city if we can help it (traffic reasons), but Virtue is always a draw for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!greatDined on 6/21/2014Food was great! Excellent feel to the place! It was a shame the upstairs was closed to a private party because that's the best part of the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placebrunchgalsDined on 6/21/2014a little loud due to the wedding reception on the second floor., but otherwise a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always busy. Always good.HBearVIPDined on 6/21/2014An incredible spot in Old Town for any meal with quick access to parking, the riverfront, and a great evening. Upscale takes on a number of classics, including a Prosciutto and Gouda Mac n Cheese and a slightly spicy skirt steak, made it a truly memorable evening. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Great food, great atmosphere and great service. We celebrated our wedding anniversary here and will come back soon just because ewe had such a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food but LOUDTobyATLDined on 6/20/2014We liked the food here, and our server was good. But it was incredibly loud, and so crowded that it really felt like a glorified bar to one of our guests. So just be aware it's not a good place for conversation - we yelled at each other across the table.Special Features:
- Joy and John Saul ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Service not good on the day we attended however. Private party was being held. Room full of lunch business people. Chef I believe overwhelmed. Waited more than a 1/2 hour to be served. Yes, we timed the wait. Server polite. Courteous. Accomplished. But not particularly attentive. Young man. Working the lunch crowd. Upstairs. Latino perhaps. On 6-19-2014. He was full of excuses because the private party chef (or maybe there was just one chef) was swamped. Sorry, not our problem. We didn't ask, but honestly, we hoped the server or manager would have come by and offered maybe-just maybe a free dessert. For our displeasure. Didn't happened. We ordered dessert anyway and paid for it. Excellent by the way. Ice box pie.Special Features:
- Hide the Salt from the Chef!DLSOCVIPDined on 6/18/2014We had a lovely dinner one night, but returned with a girlfriend for lunch and couldn't eat the food. Had the wedge salad and it was covered in salt. Sweetie, when you already have a blue cheese, there's no need for additional salt. Ditto on over-salting the fries and layering salt in the nachos. A complaint to our waitress, who was a sweetie, basically wasn't understood as she asked if I'd like a box to take the food home. It's a lovely location and the concept of fresh ingredients is wonderful. The cocktails were lovely, staff was incredibly friendly. But I don't know if I'd go back....Special Features:
- In the weeds....OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/15/2014Not sure if the brunch crowd had not thinned out or if people decided on an early Father's Day dinner, but at 6:30pm the place was jammed. We had to wait 8-people deep to even get to the hostess stand for our reservation. We then were asked to wait and I believe promptly forgotten about because other walk-in parties of 3-5 were seated ahead of us. When I prompted the hostess, a quick look of horror crossed her face prior to seating us. Had I known it would be so loud (between bodies and the music from the bar), I would have worked harder for an outside table (usurped by said walk-ins anyway so moot). Server took time getting to us and well into 10 minutes to get our wine, entrees came five minutes after salads. But the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free friendly & good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Very good, fresh food. Farm to table & not a rushed dining atmosphere. APPS: Mussels - fresh & true to flavor description, can be split b/w 2-3ppl ENTREES: Skirt Steak- the corizo-corn puree & chipotle sweet potato hash really made this dish stand out. This is my second time ordering this dish & again, it did not fail to please. I had it cooked in the past medium, this time I got medium rare. I liked it better medium b/c w/ this cut of steak, it was very chewy more rather than "melt in your mouth" medium rare, so I recommend cooking it at least medium. Pan Seared Salmon - hearty piece of salmon paired with a strong parmesan cheese flavored risotto which was still creamy and a good texture considering it wasn't made with a true risottoSpecial Features:
- Fun Girlfriends DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2014food was delicious and we had a fun girlfriends night out. Just wished it was a bit less loud to more easily hear folks at our tables.Special Features:
- Fun place with tasty food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Had a wonderful experience and meal here. Delicious craft cocktails, prompt and friendly service, tasty food and a cozy but lovely outdoor patio all contributed to a special dining experience. Had the quinoa risotto and it had fantastic flavor. Salads were fresh and loaded with veggies. Get the strawberry martini. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.