Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (116)neighborhood gem (112)fit for foodies (105)good for groups (97)vibrant bar scene (90)hot spot (75)great for lunch (63)special occasion (60)great for brunch (57)romantic (45)scenic view (45)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (18)Show More
- Brunch with the touristsRCinEastYorkDined on 7/6/2014A very pleasant space in a great location in Old Town Alexandria. Service was spotty, though (long waits for beverages), and the food was mediocre (and some of it arrived cold, although there were only four in our party). Aimed at tourists, I assume, who just need to be lured in once, not convinced to come back.
- Tasty brunch with friendly serviceHappyCustomerDined on 7/6/2014This was our second visit to Virtue, first time for brunch and again we weren't disappointed in the food or service. I had the chicken and waffles which was delicious! My husband had crab benedict and bloody mary and enjoyed both very much. When we needed to make a quick exit as our 20 month old was starting to melt down, our friendly server quickly gave us and processed our bill so our wild animal could roam free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service and foodYummyDined on 7/5/2014Our waiter was great and the food came out hot. Came for an outdoor lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is always goodDCWorkerDined on 7/4/2014We just love Virtue Feed and Grain-we've never had bad service and have always enjoyed what we've ordered.Special Features:
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/4/2014We eat out frequently and live in the Old Town area so we've eaten at Virtue Feed & Grain before and the service was good when there aren't many patrons. Our last experience was probably the worst service I've ever received. We sat for over 15 minutes and still did not have our beverage order taken, let alone order our lunch. Could not get our server's attention many times when he was near. We were not impressed so we left and will not be returning. The staff in general has a rather tepid approach to customer service and there are too many other restaurants in the area that do know what service is supposed to be.
- Amazing food, great drinks!KrystaDined on 7/4/2014Had a Bloody Mary with lunch and it was astoundingly good. No mixes here, they make it themselves from whole food. Like the rest of the menu, there is wonderful attention to detail. I haven't had anything here that wasn't amazing.Special Features:
- Excellent food in cool spotLutzpsbcDined on 7/2/2014We had the lamb and skirt steak. Both were outstanding. Very cool buildout of an old building. We also got out of there for $66 + tip! Very reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday DinnerTobeinerinDined on 6/29/2014Chose Virtue for dinner with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile. Got seated right away Server showed up, but was gone for a bit before first drink was able to be ordered. Food was excellent, as well as timing of food. Was NOT happy with seat location at the last table, along the brick wall, on the 1st floor. I was in the chair seat on the aisle. The restaurant was extremely busy and noisy. I was so close to the serving station, kitchen and outside doorway, that it was distracting and annoying. I had to lean in to even hear anything. Needless to say, seat location ruined the meal and the visit. Mentioned to the manager when asked how dinner was. Was told they needed to build a lonegr wall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!CorinnellDined on 6/29/2014I've been here twice, and the food was amazing both time. Their crab dip is to die for and I'm really partial to their fish tacos. The second time I was there they were serving "bottomless" bloody marys, which were outstanding. They also have a great list of local beers on draft. The upstairs tables next to the windows are great. I haven't sat outside, but their outdoor tables are always bustling. They do get busy, but the wait staff is very pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for a grouplkjdinesVIPDined on 6/24/2014We went there for a post work event. Everyone loved it! Great food and service. I will be back for sureSpecial Features:
- Veggie Burger DisappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/23/2014Ordered the veggie burger. Quite spicy but didn't indicate so on the menu. Disappointed with my choice.
- Love this place!FoodieWannaBeDined on 6/22/2014Great food (try the Braised Short Ribs Rostadas - dreamy good, as was the Heirloom Tomato Panzanella). Awesome beer menu. Service was spot on - she seemed to always be there when we wanted something but never was when we didn't. Professional all around, everyone on the staff is friendly and helpful. Also, they did an amazing job of converting the old bookstore into a gorgeous space of their own. I can't think of any negatives to give you - this place is really terrific, and we've been here about a half dozen times, so we have fully tested it! We don't normally like to come outside the city if we can help it (traffic reasons), but Virtue is always a draw for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it!greatDined on 6/21/2014Food was great! Excellent feel to the place! It was a shame the upstairs was closed to a private party because that's the best part of the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placebrunchgalsDined on 6/21/2014a little loud due to the wedding reception on the second floor., but otherwise a great experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always busy. Always good.HBearVIPDined on 6/21/2014An incredible spot in Old Town for any meal with quick access to parking, the riverfront, and a great evening. Upscale takes on a number of classics, including a Prosciutto and Gouda Mac n Cheese and a slightly spicy skirt steak, made it a truly memorable evening. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014Great food, great atmosphere and great service. We celebrated our wedding anniversary here and will come back soon just because ewe had such a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food but LOUDTobyATLDined on 6/20/2014We liked the food here, and our server was good. But it was incredibly loud, and so crowded that it really felt like a glorified bar to one of our guests. So just be aware it's not a good place for conversation - we yelled at each other across the table.Special Features:
- Joy and John Saul ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Service not good on the day we attended however. Private party was being held. Room full of lunch business people. Chef I believe overwhelmed. Waited more than a 1/2 hour to be served. Yes, we timed the wait. Server polite. Courteous. Accomplished. But not particularly attentive. Young man. Working the lunch crowd. Upstairs. Latino perhaps. On 6-19-2014. He was full of excuses because the private party chef (or maybe there was just one chef) was swamped. Sorry, not our problem. We didn't ask, but honestly, we hoped the server or manager would have come by and offered maybe-just maybe a free dessert. For our displeasure. Didn't happened. We ordered dessert anyway and paid for it. Excellent by the way. Ice box pie.Special Features:
- Hide the Salt from the Chef!DLSOCVIPDined on 6/18/2014We had a lovely dinner one night, but returned with a girlfriend for lunch and couldn't eat the food. Had the wedge salad and it was covered in salt. Sweetie, when you already have a blue cheese, there's no need for additional salt. Ditto on over-salting the fries and layering salt in the nachos. A complaint to our waitress, who was a sweetie, basically wasn't understood as she asked if I'd like a box to take the food home. It's a lovely location and the concept of fresh ingredients is wonderful. The cocktails were lovely, staff was incredibly friendly. But I don't know if I'd go back....Special Features:
- In the weeds....OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/15/2014Not sure if the brunch crowd had not thinned out or if people decided on an early Father's Day dinner, but at 6:30pm the place was jammed. We had to wait 8-people deep to even get to the hostess stand for our reservation. We then were asked to wait and I believe promptly forgotten about because other walk-in parties of 3-5 were seated ahead of us. When I prompted the hostess, a quick look of horror crossed her face prior to seating us. Had I known it would be so loud (between bodies and the music from the bar), I would have worked harder for an outside table (usurped by said walk-ins anyway so moot). Server took time getting to us and well into 10 minutes to get our wine, entrees came five minutes after salads. But the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten Free friendly & good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/14/2014Very good, fresh food. Farm to table & not a rushed dining atmosphere. APPS: Mussels - fresh & true to flavor description, can be split b/w 2-3ppl ENTREES: Skirt Steak- the corizo-corn puree & chipotle sweet potato hash really made this dish stand out. This is my second time ordering this dish & again, it did not fail to please. I had it cooked in the past medium, this time I got medium rare. I liked it better medium b/c w/ this cut of steak, it was very chewy more rather than "melt in your mouth" medium rare, so I recommend cooking it at least medium. Pan Seared Salmon - hearty piece of salmon paired with a strong parmesan cheese flavored risotto which was still creamy and a good texture considering it wasn't made with a true risottoSpecial Features:
- Fun Girlfriends DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/13/2014food was delicious and we had a fun girlfriends night out. Just wished it was a bit less loud to more easily hear folks at our tables.Special Features:
- Fun place with tasty food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/9/2014Had a wonderful experience and meal here. Delicious craft cocktails, prompt and friendly service, tasty food and a cozy but lovely outdoor patio all contributed to a special dining experience. Had the quinoa risotto and it had fantastic flavor. Salads were fresh and loaded with veggies. Get the strawberry martini. Perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trip to Old TownAngelVIPDined on 6/9/2014This restaurant is awesome. It's in a historic building that's been updated and it's just beautiful. I was here for lunch with my daughter and a girlfriend of hers that's a student at Catholic University. Everything we had was delicious and the service was great. It was quiet when we were there but I can imagine it's probably loud when it's full. There's a full service bar inside the restaurant as well. I highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Bad HostessdisappointedDined on 6/7/2014With an 8:45 reservation and after arriving 15 minutes early, I had the pleasure of waiting 15 minutes past my reservation (9:00 pm) and watching a party of 6 (I was in a party of 3) with no reservations get seated right away. When I confronted the hostess, she was rude and told me that they were taken to a table in the back. After saying that I had no preference in seating, she sassed me by saying that a party of 6 is different than a party of 3, never apologizing or accommodating my inquiries. Another hostess stepped in and brought me to a table outside (a table that was unoccupied when I arrived at 8:30). I am extremely disappointed with the staff and poor organization.Special Features:
- Perhaps an off nightOldTownResidentVIPDined on 6/7/2014We've dined here several times before and the food is usually wonderful. This time, it was just so-so. I hope it was just an off night.
- Fun but noisyOldtownresidentDined on 6/7/2014Like the ambience but because there are bars on both levels - noise level is crazy loud!!!! Can't hear your guests- we had 4 people and screamed at eachother for the entire time. Love the ambience and food is better that it used to be, move the bars away from the dinersSpecial Features:
- Pretty averageOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014We went specifically for brunch on a Saturday only to find out that its served exclusively on Sunday (need to better advertise that on their webpage). The food was good, but not great - especially for a $16/plate lunch. It was situated at the very end of King Street near the water so it had a nice atmosphere. Just wished the food matched its look.Special Features:
- great mealrdwrghDined on 6/3/20144 of us found the ceviche appetizer, Fish and Grits, pasta special and tuna entree excellent. It was very nice to have the assistant manager stop by our table to greet us.Special Features:
- The following 326 reviews are from the Virtue Feed & Grain reviews archive.
- Team DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/2/2014Our team was in town and a group of seven of us ate here together. The food was great the service was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/1/2014The food is good and the outdoor seating area is nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So soFoodie4meVIPDined on 5/30/2014Appetizers were good. You can skip the skirt steak. Spices were ok, however it was like chewing rubber. Ordered medium-rare lamb chops. They came out rare. The noise level was something else. There were four of us. Could not hear each other across the table unless we actually had to shout. Can't really have a leisurely dinner. Clientele was between 20-30 somethings. I guess they find it ok, since it was crowded. I don't think we'll go againSpecial Features:
- yummy!fiendforfreshnessDined on 5/30/2014This place has great food! I've tried half the fresh catch and it's good every time. Glad to have discovered the place. Only downside is it's noisy but if you can snag a table outside, it's the best way to go in the evenings.Special Features:
- First TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014This was our first visit to the restaurant. We heard about it from our daughter. It was a fine dining experience. The food was delicious and the server was friendly and attentive. The service, however, was a bit slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/29/2014A little on the loud side for an early dinner. We had the crab dip to start; not what we were expecting. It's like soup. For dinner I had the calamari and a salad - the calamari was cooked well but was so salty I couldn't eat it. Everyone else I was with liked the rest of their food. Our server was friendly but we waited a very long time for everything, even when we were one of the only tables in the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/29/2014Ok for lunch, not wow but ok, service was good. Soup choices limited, little pricey for what it was.
- The food is mediocre & overpriced.tmatthew99Dined on 5/28/2014This is my fourth and last time coming here. I had another bad food experience with overcooked and over priced shrimp. In my party of six everyone had some issue. We went for beer menu and 5 draft beers were out. The preparation of the food was not done with great care. Nice venue but I feel each successive visit has been a poorer experience.Special Features:
- After biz meeting repastGreatHostDined on 5/27/2014Brought several partners and a business client here for an evening meal. Overall, I'd rate the outing a success; the food and service were both good. I had the Chef's seafood preparation and the client had the miso sashimi. We were very pleased with our selections. However, a couple of minor annoyances. The lighting is dim to say the least. We resorted to breaking out cell phone flashlights to read the menu, unless you were fortunate to be under one of the scattered spotlights at the table. The fish ceviche was tasty, but way too salty. We returned it for the crab dip which was a great improvement. Three of our party had the lamb chops and all but one really enjoyed them. The third person ended up with very rare chops instead of medium.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy LocationTravellerVIPDined on 5/27/2014Very conveniently located in Old Town near the Torpedo Factory. Because it was the day after Mem Day, they were out of several things on the menu. I had wedge salad, very tasty; my husband had salmon with quinoa risotto. We were both happy with our meals and the service was fine. Beer on tap was too tame for my husband (he likes the rich dark or hoppy stuff). We'd go back for a casual lunch or dinner. It wasn't so noisy that we couldn't hear each other, but if full it might have been. Nice decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhJoedinerVIPDined on 5/26/2014I thought the food was ok. A little too much focus on the plating and not enough on the quality. The inside and the bar area are awesome. Very cool view of the water.Special Features: