Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
254 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (116)neighborhood gem (107)fit for foodies (104)good for groups (93)vibrant bar scene (91)hot spot (67)great for lunch (65)special occasion (61)great for brunch (55)romantic (47)scenic view (45)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (25)late-night find (16)Show More
- Not the Same VirtueOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/24/2013First thing we noticed was the changed menu. "Where's the weird stuff?" We ask the server. "The ownership of the restaurant has changed," Oh. While our server was pleasant, the service was slow--and we were the first ones in the dining room! We had to ask the server for bread. We had to ask the server for catsup. We had to ask the server for forks to go with our dessert. We had the linguini with kale and clams and the lamb. They were okay, not great. My kids didn't like the French fries--what kids don't like French fries? The cole slaw was bland. So disappointing. We won't be going back.
- Limited choicesGrantwoodDined on 5/22/2013This was my second time dining at Virtue. I had such a good experience the first time I thought I'd take my partner here for our anniversary. We shared the fried pickles and the onion rings. Would have like the rings to have come with some sort of dipping sauce. My disappointment was the selection of entrees. I was swayed to the linguine with clams and thought the portion was small, for the price, and it wasn't linguine but a heavier spaghetti. The intelligencia at the next table had the burger which looked like a better value and food for the money. The pretzel crust and the bourban pie, were both good choices. Again great apps and small dishes but I just think they need a few more entree choices. I would still go again.Special Features:
- disappointinglislenlawVIPDined on 5/18/2013Sat downstairs in view of the bar and could barely talk because it was so noisy. The burger was very good but the fries were soggy and unappealing. The rest of the food was not good. I will not return, though the service was good.Special Features:
- Good food, good service, crazy loudDeafenedDined on 5/18/2013You can't deny how popular Virtue has become. Perfect location and they did a great job rehabbing the space. Just don't take a family there for dinner and expect to have a conversation. The place is ungodly noisy beyond any reasonable level. The wait staff can't hear you and you can't hear them either. The food was good and well prepared as well as timely. No complaints there. There are ways to mitigate the noise and the owners should think about some sort of abatement. I would definitely go again for the atmosphere and for the food, but the noise makes it like being in a yelling contest. I'll stick to lunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, poor service, poor foodDJHorkVIPDined on 5/17/2013Loud. Packed six people around table for 4. Served five orders; forgot sixth person's order. Leave it for the tourists and bar happy hour folks.
- Loud, poor service, poor foodDJHorkVIPDined on 5/17/2013Feed & Grain is appropriate as they treat you like cattle. Packed six people around a tiny table that should seat 3 or 4. Asked for different table; said that was largest table. It was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think. You had to talk/yell so loud to talk to person next to you. Food was slow; finally delivered five dishes, forgot the six person's order. Food was so-so, but lost appetite after horrible experience and just wanted to get out of there. No plans to return; leave it for the tourists.
- New Owner/ChefOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/17/2013We recently went to Virtue, which was one of our favorite places in Old Town, and found that the menu had changed due to new ownership. While the ambiance and draft selection was still great, and some menu items remained, the new options were unimaginative. Overall, while the execution was decent, the food was very boring and lacked the special (and unusual) touch it had before. As well as the portion sizes were absolutely tiny. While I got the clam linguini with kale, and found the sauce to be quite delicious, I was only given 5 small littleneck clams, and the pasta itself wasn't anything to write home about. Also, my mother in law got the salmon, which was a tiny piece, and not wild, but farmed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is terribleNovadinerVIPDined on 5/15/2013Virtually everything on the menu seems to be fried. Nothing was memorable at all. Not much of a selection. I really was shocked and disappointed. Good beer selection I'll give them that. Very dark and cold inside. More like an Irish pub than a restaurant.
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/12/2013I thought the food was unremarkable. Nothing wrong, just underwhelming.Special Features:
- Very DisappointingmeaninaDined on 5/12/2013I have visited other establishments owned by the current operators of Virtue Feed & Grain, and I have raved about all of them. I was looking forward to eating at Virtue Feed & Grain for Mother's day and I was very disappointed. The mother's day cocktail was very week, which was surprising considering the that drinks at the other establishments are phenomenal! The complimentary biscuits were very dry and no amount of butter/jam could save them. The calamari and the surf and turf were amazing, but I was surprised that the kitchen was out of salad. Who runs out of salad? I will go again, because I love the other establishments and I hope this was just an off night.Special Features:
- Surprised by Poor FoodTiniwinkDined on 5/11/2013The waiter was cool and the beverage selection is great. The calamari which was average. It was regular fried calamari with a sweet sauce on the side. I think the sauce was described as being spicy and sweet, but it was just sweet. I had the chicken Caesar salad and my friend had another salad. She had a huge piece of chicken on top and I got only a fraction of that piece. She said her salad was o.k. and my Caesar salad was tasteless. I couldn't tell there was a homemade dressing on it, tasted no anchovy, and they offered no fresh pepper. The chicken had no flavor. Also, my 8 month old son sat in a highchair and it felt like it was never cleaned. It was sticky and gross.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FailDinetteVIPDined on 5/10/2013Virtue was never amazing but it is now horrible. Driest chicken ever, poor service, empty at 8:30 on a Friday night, uninteresting menu, cheap wine. Much worse after the change in management. Chadwick's or Hard Times are serving equivalent food and drink.Special Features:
- Could not hear my guestsMikeVIPDined on 5/9/2013We love Virtue, but have not dined there in the evening until this week. We had an early reservation (5:30) and our server was great! The food was amazing...I had the swordfish special and everyone's dinners were equally enjoyable. Unfortunately, even though we were a party of 5 sitting at a cozy table, I could barely hear my mom and dad over the overly loud music. We were also fairly close to the kitchen, but the music was all I could hear the entire evening. I also know we were very near to the bar, but again, all I recall is that loud music. Our server nearly shouting at us could also not communicate well at the table attempting to speak over all the noise. Cut off the music, the dining room is lively enough!Special Features:
- Excellent OptionKimberlyDined on 5/8/2013If you are looking for a good place in Alexandria to meet for lunch, this is your place. The menu has a great variety, the food is good, good value for price paid and the atmosphere is conducive for conversation. Lots of natural light and good energy vibe.Special Features:
- Great location, average foodTownleyDined on 5/5/2013We had brunch at VF&G as a break in our Sunday bike ride. Service and food are good, bloody mary very good! Brunch menu items centered around primarily eggs, which is okay, but not alot of variety in the brunch menu. Cool spot and ideal location in Old Town Alexandria, close to all the shops and fun walking around activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Change in directionDCregularsDined on 5/4/2013We used to love this place with its original menu- there was always something unique to try. NOw they have moved to more "American fare" with chicken wings and burgers. The chicken I got was good but the change has not helped. I'm sure the owners wanted to make more money which they will from the tourists, but not from us local folks. Sad.Special Features:
- Everything was great. I hadDaGoodsDined on 5/3/2013Everything was great. I had the NY Strip and she had the duck and we both loved them. The only thing that wasn't perfect were the leather benches, which were cumbersom to get in and out of and sat low to the table. Pricey, but definitely worth it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs WorkOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/3/2013Virtue may be suffering from an identity crisis as they move people in and out. Advertise for things the new chef does not support! Detail still must be worked out to get this establishment on the right track. The food was good (maybe a bit less salt), but variety was lacking. Just not sure what the restaurant theme may be or if the intent is to have one? I will go back in a month or so to see how things are going! More to come........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a fabulous BirthdayBigDebDined on 5/2/2013We had a fabulous Birthday dinner for six. We loved the atmosphere and the servers made all of us feel welcomed, as if we were family. Every dish was served to perfection -- the duck contif, burger, claims and linguini, mussels were all delicious. And the nice birthday dessert was a special treat. Service was perfect and the wine was superb.Special Features:
- Virtue is worth a second returnFlorenceDined on 4/30/2013I went to Virtue with a friend for dinner. We didn't try another of their drinks because we are both pregnant but they had a very substantial beer and wine menu. My friend ordered the chicken wings and the mussels she loved her wings but found some sand in two or three of her mussels. I ordered the frickles (fried pickles) and they were great, very delicious and I got the cuban sandwich. I would not order the cuban again the bread was all wrong for a cuban and the edges of the bread were hard and stale. The sandwich was overall dry. I think other then the Cuban though the food seemed good and all generously priced. But I think Virtue is worth another visit and probably will go again. The staff is super friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place in AlexandriaOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/29/2013Food and service were outstanding. Casual bar-like atmosphere in historical building was very well done. Lots of competition in the DC area and this holds up very well - highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bomb!BronxYankeeVIPDined on 4/27/2013Poor!!!! Table by the kitchen was very brightly lit by the kitchen. Waitstaff constantly bumping into each other, almost amateurish. Food was disappointing, cannot believe any association with Restaurant Eve!!!! Cesar salad dry and wilted, mussels, artichoke dip, salmon and French fries all cool to the taste upon arrival, Rosemary Chicken had no rosemary! VERY loud inside! May give them another chance,to be determinedSpecial Features:
- Great for beer and snacks-PickyVIPDined on 4/27/2013Great for beer and snacks- limited options for meals and nothing is meatless.Special Features:
- Take themselves way too seriously.CapitanSourceVIPDined on 4/27/2013Take themselves way too seriously. Greeters had a real attitude. Had to wait even though we had a reservation and there were open tables. Not the first time this happened. We won't be going back.
- Small menu, bad food, good beerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2013The food took way too long and was really sub-par. Went with a group of 4, we had the salmon, virtue burger, cuban sandwich, and spinach salad as our entrees, not a single one was good. The frickles and fries were great, but seriously if you fry anything it will be delicious. The beer menu was huge, but I wanted a sizable food menu to match. The two vegetarian entree options, which were both salads, were not labeled consistently and there's no key on the menu. I had to ask for clarification on what else was vegetarian, which is nothing other than appetizers. Really surprising, considering their whole vision is about being eco-friendly and progressive. We definitely won't be back here for food, maybe for drinks and patio time.
- Good but over-rated. LimitedBoomerVIPDined on 4/22/2013Good but over-rated. Limited menu but what they serve is good to very good. The atmosphere makes it sort of special.