Virtue Feed & Grain
106 S. Union St.
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Virtue Feed & Grain
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://virtuefeedgrain.com/
- Phone: 571-970-3669x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday 11:30am-12:00am, Friday 11:30am-1:00am, Saturday 11:00am-1:00am, Sunday 11:00am-12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Santiago Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Private Parties, Stunning Weddings & Receptions, Rehearsal Dinners with a view, Cool Cocktail Parties, or Memorable Meetings ~ Virtue has you covered!
We have everything you need to make a fabulous impression with your guests: fantastic hors d’oeuvres, great drinks, delicious food, a beautiful space, friendly staff, and a terrific atmosphere!
Let us know how we can help with your next event!
- Cross Street: King St.
- Public Transit: King Street Metro
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There are 3 parking garages on South Union St. within 2 blocks of the restaurant: Republic Parking Systems, Central Parking Systems, and Parking Solo.
Free 2 hour parking is also available along many of the streets parallel to S. Union St.
For PM Service Wednesday thru Sunday- Altman Parking next door offers a reduced rate. Park, pay $7 and then bring a stamped receipt to receive $3 back.
A word from Virtue Feed & Grain
Virtue is a modern American tavern located near the Potomac River in Old Town, Alexandria. Our menu offers an array of farm-fresh food and refreshing cocktails to please your tastebuds, and a vibrant atmosphere to make for an enjoyable dining experience at any time of day! Housed in a historic feed & grain warehouse from the late 1800s, Virtue's stunning rustic modern decor is sure to impress.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Virtue Feed & Grain - Best Restaurants in Alexandria ›
Virtue Feed & Grain reviews from OpenTable diners
245 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
neighborhood gem (119)great for outdoor dining (112)fit for foodies (107)good for groups (100)vibrant bar scene (82)hot spot (81)great for lunch (63)great for brunch (59)special occasion (58)scenic view (44)romantic (44)notable wine list (30)kid-friendly (26)late-night find (21)Show More
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014The food was great -- and the staff was attentive and friendly! Lovely place for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Happier w/ Virtue but not quite!military18wifeDined on 10/18/2014We sat at the bar and waited a good 5 minutes with several bartenders walking down to our end, making eye contact, before anyone gave us menus and asked what we'd like. I chose the grilled grape and cheese appetizer. $10 for 8 grilled grapes, a few 1-inch cubes of cheese, drizzled in honey with no crackers or bread. It tasted good, but was just flat ... and didn't impress. I had the salmon w/ grilled brussel sprouts. That was delicious. I like the new menu, but under the new owner I think the service has suffered. I think the chef should re-think the grape appetizer and perhaps pair it with bread or crackers or just not serve it.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/17/2014Way too noisy at night. Could not have a conversation. Good food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with great serviceKatherineVIPDined on 10/17/2014Every time I've been to Virtue, the food is excellent, and almost without exception, delivered by waitstaff who are pleasant and knowledgeable about the food they're selling. My most recent trip was on a Friday evening and the place was very busy, but with a reservation we were seated on time without incident. The patio is very pleasant in nice weather and appears to be dog-friendly. During family-friendly hours, though, it might mean children running laps around your table :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerjaredDined on 10/17/2014Had a great dinner there on Friday night. If the weather is nice, I would definitely recommend sitting on the outside patio, because it's super loud inside, but maybe that was just because it was Friday. Food was really good, and our server was attentive.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere & foodInstylegirlDined on 10/15/2014This was my first time to this restaurant. We were a group of six people, easily accommodated. The space is really interesting and unique and the menu has a little something for everyone. Great drink selection as well. My only complaint is that when sitting upstairs, the noise level is high so it was hard to have conversations with people at times.Special Features:
- Loyal CustomerDCWorkerDined on 10/13/2014We just love the food and service here! We went for Octoberfest and wish that full meals were offered instead of small plates, but that is our only complaint. Otherwise we really enjoyed the food.Special Features:
- Great spotTNGYDined on 10/12/2014Loved the décor! The service was great, fantastic waitress who was helpful, cheerful, and attentive. Last but not least, the food was outstanding.Special Features:
- octoberfest?AshleyDined on 10/11/2014The server was very good. The Oktoberfest menu was totally lame. I expect more than hotdogs. We had nachos and the stew. Both did not have a lot of flavor.
- Good food but it's very loud!AlexDined on 10/10/2014Also had a good beer and wine selection. Love that it's on the waterfront!Special Features:
- Experimental Food recipiesRosieVIPDined on 10/6/2014They have some items, like a child invented... It should be named , t As te Kitchen.Special Features:
- A great findTastyVIPDined on 10/5/2014Service was spot on and the food was excellent. They could've put a little less sauce on the short ribs but still excellent. I hope others enjoy it as much as we did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaBigFellaDined on 10/4/2014uniformly excellent! Service, food, attentiveness [not overdone], answering questions and making recommendations...excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Quality/Limited Menudewey1netDined on 10/2/2014I've always enjoyed the bar at Virtue, and with family in town, I decided to try the dining room this time. The menu we saw online the night before was slightly different from what was available when we arrived. The menu itself was quite limited. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing if the choices they have are high quality, and in this case, the quality was certainly excellent. One item of note, though: the ribeye that WAS on the menu is no longer available. Overall, though, I highly recommend Virtue. Pros: food quality, service, drink selection, phenomenal salmon. Cons: Menu limited, dining room VERY dim at night, and can be a little chilly toward the front of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistency is the key...BaconmasterDined on 10/2/2014We have gone enough times to say we are regulars. The food and drinks are outstanding. I only have one complaint...the nachos really bring down the menu. It's like going to a Michelin star Restaraunt and ordering chicken nuggets. We tried it just to see if they tasted unique but they didn't. They tasted just like I was in a dark dive bar with pub food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food!Kimmy81VIPDined on 9/28/2014We love Virtue. The food and cocktail menu are incredible! The rib-eye steak is always prepared perfectly and flavorful. The bibb wedge was a perfectly flavored salad with a beautiful light blue cheese dressing. Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014Not an extensive brunch menu, definitely leaning towards more lunch food.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant, good foodesoccer85VIPDined on 9/27/2014Very nice seating either outside or by the window. Prompt service with good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- DiningSaturdayNightDined on 9/26/2014Made a reservation for 9:15 and got there a little bit before. They were jammed packed and we still got seated before 9:15. The server was very friendly. We had the brisket appetizer and the hummus guacamole was amazing. However the table next to us seemed not to have the same experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WAY TOO LOUDHungryDined on 9/26/2014This is more like a bar than a restaurant. If you want LOUD, where you can't talk across a table this would appeal. If you want to dine and visit do not go here. The noise completely ruined the dining experience
- Great Happy HourAdventureLovingJayhawkVIPDined on 9/26/2014We headed to Virtue after sightseeing and our late lunch was during their Happy Hour. Several tasty, local brews were available and we loved the Port City Ways and Means. We also tried the nachos (plenty of them and quite tasty), guacamame hummus, and crab dip (rich and delicious). We had great service and our waitress was very knowledgable about the beers available.Special Features:
- ExcellentdryindelrayDined on 9/23/2014This place is great on many levels. It's a good spot to grab a drink after work, take a girl/guy you'd like to impress on a date, or even get a small group together. Excellent food with an eclectic menu. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gathering placerobindDined on 9/22/2014Virtue Feed & Grain is a restaurant with an energetic vibe. The bar scene was busy, loud and a great [;ace for groups. We dined outdoors, which was nice on a great early fall evening. Food was good - a bit over-salted, but still tasty. It was rather loud - there was a convention group next to us, and they were a few drinks to the wind. One complaint we had was that the entrees were delivered about 3 minutes after the salad. With the small size of the tables (not to mention that our tilted downward because of sitting on brick sidewalk) this proved challenging. I think its poor planning on the staffs part to serve entrees so close to delivering appetizers or salads.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My New Traditional Fri/Sunday SpotRaymondDined on 9/21/2014I think about their food throughout the week. I think about their environment regularly. I compare every restaurant to them. They have the best French Fries and I think I am addicted... I will be seeing them again this weekend, because no matter the time, they are always ready to serve me just what I need, minus the platter!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBradBDined on 9/20/2014This is a Old Town Alexandria gem. Great location, great food, great service and great ambiance at a popular price. This is the perfect place for business or pleasure. Simple but complete menu of the freshest food. After 10 years living in the Washington, DC area and someone who eats out every night this is one of my favorites hands down. Virtue Feed & Grain is a must do and repeat.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchShanaDined on 9/14/2014I've been here once before, when the restaurant was less crowded, and the food and service was great. This time around, we waited 30 minutes after receiving our appetizers to get our main course. The apps were delicious, but the grilled cheese could use a little butter and my boyfriend's breakfast came out without the french toast. Instead of taking the plate back, they brought out the french toast on a separate small plate a few minutes later, but it tasted like regular toast with nutella drizzled on top. Won't be going back during such a busy time (there was an art fair going on a few blocks away).Special Features:
- A true let downdcnveaterDined on 9/14/2014Virtue has a great atmosphere and good cocktails. However, brunch was very underwhelming. Despite a reservation and timely arrival, it took awhile to get seated. And then we went unnoticed by the wait staff for probably 10 minutes, without an apology for the wait (although the table next to us who had been there 5 minutes less got one). Once we were able to order both our food and drinks were slow coming out. The eggs chesapeake I ordered was bland and not fresh - think frozen homefry potatoes and less-than-fresh crabcake. Bottom line: slow and poor service and very mediocre food.Special Features:
- Healthy, sustainable and yummyRuthieVIPDined on 9/13/2014I was excited to find VF&G--have become tired of the Old Town staples--and it didn't disappoint. The ambience is very cool, using all repurposed building materials to create a warm yet hip and inviting atmosphere. Thoughtfully placed screened in picture windows on the second floor provided an open air feeling and a natural light to brighten up the back room, and cozy couches and coffee tables added a nice homey touch to the front room. Service was extremely attentive and friendly, the food was equally good. We had lunch--crab cake starter, fish tacos and Bison burger and all were prepared to perfection. This is a restaurant that clearly has every detail attended to and their "green" commitment is the icing on the cake!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice business lunch locationOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2014Perfect for a business lunch - good service, nice but not stuffy, great outdoor spaceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Kid on the BlockHarrisonDuckworthDined on 9/10/2014More upscale than its neighbor, Union Street Bar & Grill, Virtue is smaller and decorated as if its a man cave inside a renovated barn. It trends towards business lunches and tourist fly-bys, but has an interesting dinner menu. The patio is good for outside dining if you don't mind the traffic, both foot and vehicle. That said its better than being right on King Street. A key point of the establishment is its bar and this is where Virtue comes into its own - it's worth stopping by for a GNT or two...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the name, but too loud!!TravelingdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Loved location & concept, but too loud for my friends' gathering. Couldn't talk to one another. Lesson learned! Good menu, but atmosphere out of control!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Overpriced (17$), overcooked hamburger. Server took my plate before I had finished food, took cups before finished drinking.Special Features:
- Very fine mealRudyGManVIPDined on 9/5/2014I ordered the bison burger and enjoyed it immensely - it was cooked just right, the roll did not overwhelm and the side pickles were exceptional, a bit of dill, sweetness and a slight spicy habanero touch. Service was very efficient on a very busy night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warehouse PubVLawDined on 9/5/2014Ideally located at the foot of King Street in the heart of Old Town. Rustic warehouse ambiance with close "neighborly seating" and an inviting long bar along the side. The food was average at best: the crab cake mediocre, the salad had a soppy tasteless dressing; However the crab corn chowder and desserts were good. Nice venue for a beer and a hamburger or sandwich but there are far better restaurants a few steps away. Definitely has promise -- if they improve their food offerings beyond the hamburgers. I will note that we received friendly, prompt and attentive service from our waitress.Special Features:
- Disappointed After Hearing the HypeSanFranVisitorVIPDined on 9/1/2014Always looking for a new spot in Old Town, I booked a table for two for lunch with a friend. She had been before and said how good it was. I left unimpressed with the food. Service was quite attentive, and we got a table with a view of the river, but the food was average at best. Started with shared plate of nachos - half hot, half cold (microwave in the mix), then shared Panzanella salad which was a big disappointment given tomatoes are in their prime right now. Large chunks of so-so tomato with a touch of frisee and croutons, not bread and very little dressing/balsamico/olive oil. We then split the fish tacos. Again, nothing to rave about. Over rated.
- Noisy brunchlovetoeatDined on 8/31/2014Went for brunch. A bit on the noisy side. I could hardly hear what the other person was saying. That alone may prevent me from coming back. They need some sort of sound absorber in the ceiling. The Bloody Mary was well made. I ordered the crab cake benedict. Menu said it came with asparagus salad. It came with arugula on the side. I did find one very small asparagus tip in it. The benedict was also missing any type of sauce like hollandaise, and the crab cake and egg didn't even cover the English muffin. Attention to detail is lacking here. For the price you pay here, it is disappointing.Special Features:
- Great bar staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/30/2014This was not our first time at Virtue but we loved it. The bar staff and bar manager were outstanding and expanded our knowledge of Rum and Whiskey (good call since we ended up drinking more). The food is outstanding. Only two complaints: 1) we ate upstairs in the back and the walk from our table to the bathroom involved a very, very slippery wood floor (something that should probably get handled so people don't sue) and 2) while the bar staff and service was great...our waiter disappeared for large periods of time when we wanted to order or refill drinks. The waiter was nice but he just wasn't around as much as he needed to. He must have had tables somewhere else far away from us in the restaurant. I think his name was Eren?Special Features:
- Bar sceneKattDined on 8/30/2014I was disappointed because I did not know that this restaurant was mostly a noisy bar. Food is good not great. House salad was overdressed but the tomato salad was good. Service was poor. Drinks came slowly and had to ask 3 times during dinner for cocktail sauce. Probably a good place to meet for drinks before going to dinner.Special Features:
- Good, not greatbert16Dined on 8/30/2014Came here for drinks and appetizers early in the evening before heading to a show. The food was solid and I love their patio space; but the service was inattentive. The server was friendly and took our initial order promptly; but we had to flag him down after sitting around with empty glasses that were desperate for a refill. Eventually got the refills and then, after sitting around with empties yet again, just decided to flag him down for the cheque instead of another round (even though we should've had plenty of time), for fear of how long the whole process would take. Again, solid food, good beer and wine selection, and friendly enough service; just expect to actually be waited on.Special Features:
- Virtue is good eats.GoodEatsDined on 8/30/2014Virtue is a great place to go for something as simple as a drink, to a group get together for lunch or dinner and everything in between. The food is excellent, and interesting. They do daily specials with locally sourced products that tantalize your pallet. For those who like to eat the same thing often they have a core menu of food that is tasty and well executed. Their appetizers are creative and tasty and sized such that sharing several works out well. The lunch and dinner portions are well sized for a normal appetite. The service is superb and the ambiance is really nice. The upstairs near the back windows is a prime spot to be and if you like eating outside they have a nice little outdoor space on the lower level. I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.