227 Tenth Avenue
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theredcat.com/
- Phone: 2122421122x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 11:00pm; Sunday: 5:00pm – 10:00pm
Lunch: Monday – Friday: 12:00pm – 2:30pm
Brunch: Saturday – Sunday: 11:30am – 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Andy Xu
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining
- Special Events: What makes The Red Cat so special is that is expertly walks the line between familiar and cutting edge, using innovative American-inspired cuisine and a relaxed atmosphere to set the tone. Whatever the occasion, The Red Cat will always fit the mood.
A word from Red Cat
This Old Chelsea food hall is a New York original. The Red Cat's combination of come-as-you-are sensibilities and straightforward, satisfying, and occasionally irreverent cuisine instantly establish the restaurant as a favorite with New York diners. Andy Xu runs the kitchen that's become famous for such whimsical creations as Reuben Wontons with Red Cabbage Slaw and Pan Roasted Cod with Flageolets, Moroccan Olives, Oranges and Basil Oil. Such dishes only add to the restaurant's mystique as a place for all seasons, styles and spirits. As Frank Bruni wrote in the New York Times "The Red Cat feels vaguely colonial and tavern like, except when it feels downtown-gallery cool, and apart from those moments when it feels modestly and eclectically elegant."Continued
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
If you are unable to book online, please call us directly and we will do our best to accommodate you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Red Cat reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (144)fit for foodies (127)romantic (67)special occasion (56)great for lunch (51)great for brunch (38)vibrant bar scene (32)notable wine list (29)hot spot (20)good for groups (17)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Neighborhood GemBrendaDined on 6/3/2014My friend and I loved the food at Red Cat and thoroughly enjoyed the suggestions of our waiter. He was knowledgeable, friendly and nonintrusive. Among the best dishes is the quick sauté of zucchini first course. The tempura green beans were also light and delicious.Special Features:
- Intersting Menu SelectionCherylDined on 6/2/2014Interesting selection on the Menu. Really enjoyed the short ribs and pork chop dishes. The green beans were amazing. Nice wine list and desserts were really nice. Overall very nice and would recommend it.Special Features:
- DelightfulPleasedvistorDined on 6/1/2014Interesting variation of dish....with a pistachio alfredo to die for.Special Features:
- Same Old ExcellenceAdmiralDined on 6/1/2014Having moved out of New York to the country a few years ago and meeting out-of-town friends for dinner in Manhattan, we thought we'd try an "old reliable," the Red Cat. We weren't disappointed: the food and service were as good as ever and our friends said it was the highlight of their visit to New York. It was a great, relaxing end to a hectic, touristy day. Makes us want to move back.Special Features:
- Chelsea CatGolem212VIPDined on 6/1/2014Red Cat is practically an institution as NYC restaurants go. Now well into its 15th year as a Chelsea anchor, it's not as hot as it once was. The good news is, it is also easier to grab a table for brunch or dinner at a place that dishes out delicious, inspired and unpretentious food that, like the galleries that surround it, is a work of art in and of itself.Special Features:
- Good for brunchGeezerDined on 5/31/2014Nice variety on the brunch menu. Delicious salads, Good bread. Excellent drinks. Not noisy. A nourishing, calm experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectletsgomathiasDined on 5/26/2014Best place to eat in the neighborhood. That is all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great timebjzpVIPDined on 5/25/2014The bartender Nick is amazingly nice and friendly!Special Features:
- comfort foodfoodieVIPDined on 5/25/2014Always a good family choice for comfort food. The hamburgers and fries are good choices. The deep fried zucchini and the green bean tempura are yummy. They must learn to reduce the salt they use.Special Features:
- 1st disappointmentTraumamdVIPDined on 5/24/2014HAve eaten here several times, never disappointed. Had the short ribs this time, tasteless and over cooked. They said sorry and little more. Will still probably go back as others enjoyed their meals.
- Gemrock7VIPDined on 5/24/2014Came for brunch. The special lobster omelette was delicious & the decor/service, outstanding. Will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/21/2014Never disappoints. My favorite restaurant for the 10 years I lived in NY. I try to get there each time I visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1890 reviews are from the Red Cat reviews archive.
- joyboyVIPDined on 5/20/2014Greatly enjoyed everything - from the burata starter to the passion fruit sorbet finisher and everything in between, and the service.Special Features:
- very nice brunchmbarDined on 5/17/2014Met some friends who were from out of town. Arrived at 11:45 am for brunch on a Saturday. The table was small, which worked in our favor for great conversation, restaurant got noisier as the meal went on, but compared to most places, it wasn't bad. Our bloody mary's were very good, and we ordered toasted bread to scoop up baked Fontina that came in a crock. It was delicious, and great for sharing. My husband had the Huevos Rancheros which he said was the best he ever had. I had an omelette which was good, nothing too special. Coffee was strong and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just okprincessnellVIPDined on 5/17/2014had read some good things about red cat, so we decided to try it before chelsea gallery hopping. unfortunately, the best thing about it was its location. the food was fair to middling, with one actually bad dish. best thing was the tempura green beans we all shared. light and crispy and delicious. i had a rabbit/fava pasta that was tasty, but pretty standard. my husband's grilled chicken salad was just sad. On a bed of limp iceberg with a few peas thrown on it, and a bland chicken breast that could have been cooked any time in the last few days sliced on top. No presentation or flavor. cocktails were nothing special, and we didn't order a second round, which we normally do at brunch! service was very good, though.
- when in n.y....1reliablefriendVIPDined on 5/14/2014Started here the year it opened and return when back in city. Feels like home.Special Features:
- A DisappointmentMackDined on 5/14/2014I have hitherto been a great fan of the Red Cat and a repeat diner. My last experience at lunch was a disappointment. A chicken salad for one of my party was perfunctory and what was given in the menu as a Roast Beef Sandwich turn out to be a flavorless, slightly tough steak sandwich. The pasta passed muster with my guest. The wine list is good and partially saved the day as did the efficient service of PHILIP D. The staff is always courteous but management needs to buck up the kitchen a bit.
- Love the Red CatGeoffdiVIPDined on 5/12/2014We love coming here, my children gave me a gift voucher for my birthday ,as they know how much we love to eat at this restaurant. It is our go to restaurant for celebrations, family occasions, visiting guests from Australia etc. This actually was our farewell dinner before we return to live in Australia but we will definitely be back !! Especially for the Tempura beans !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious from start to finishMattVIPDined on 5/11/2014Took my mom here for Mother's Day this past weekend and we had a really great time. Started with the filet mignon tartare and zucchini/pecorino apps, both of which were delicious (both independently and combined!); Mom enjoyed the crispy skin salmon and I loved the hake. Cocktails were expertly made, service was friendly and attentive without being overbearing and the ambiance was lovely. Worth the price, and we'll definitely be back. Meow!Special Features:
- A Chelsea gem!!AnyaDined on 5/11/2014ALWAYS Excellent! Red Cat is my favorite restaurant on the West Side! Staff and servers are ALWAYS gracious and professional! The several waitstaff members we have had, have ALWAYS been knowledgeable and helpful! They ALWAYS know their extensive and varying menu very well and are great at suggestions!--I ALWAYS listen! Love the fact that they serve Tito's Vodka! We have brought many friends to The Red Cat, and they have all returned on their own. I don't usually eat dessert, but ALWAYS have it here! Last Thursday, the Cavatelle (sp?), fava bean, and rabbit appetizer was spectacular!!-as were the calves liver, and the pork dish! Go! You will love it!Special Features:
- dinner at Red CatvoltigeurDined on 5/10/2014My wife and I have been dining at Red Cat for many years. We find it to be a consistently high quality, adult dining experience. The staff is always cordial and welcoming and the service is professional. While the meals are not fancy, they are very tasty and perfectly prepared. we plan to return for another dinner in a month or two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm to table charmerTrshblrdDined on 5/10/2014The Red Cat came recommended by a friend who had moved from NYC a few years back and it didn't disappoint. Walking off the city street in Chelsea you feel transported to a elegant but cozy farm house dining room with low lighting decorated with pops of red, black and white. I had read that the restaurant can be overwhelmingly loud, but we were seated in the very back around a bend in a corner banquette and we found the noise level tolerable. We tried the recommended zucchini appetizer that was wonderful. A rabbit pasta dish and spring pea ravioli were delicious and fresh too. The desserts were more than big enough to share (not that we did!) and the rhubarb cobbler and chocolate creme brûlée were perfect ways to end the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent Red Cat Visitjdenton2232Dined on 5/9/2014Dined at the Red Cat for the third time in three year span. It has been excellent every time. Food and service were fantastic as usual. I recommend this restaurant to all of my friends that come to New York. I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did he do it?AddictedDined on 5/9/2014What a waiter! How did he memorize everything without writing it down? He was very solicitous of us, as one diner has an allergy to garlic. He got a recommendation from the kitchen, and we all had a terrific dinner. We had been to Red Cat during Restaurant Week for lunch on two occassions, and that paid off for Red Cat, as we had such nice lunches that we came back with friends for dinner. We live nearby, and hope to be back sooner than later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Cat--Top Cat!TresChicDined on 5/9/2014still excellent after many years…….unusual wine list, knowledgeable waiters, excellent, unobtrusive service. Went for a business dinner--and it was perfect. As good as 10 years ago!Special Features:
- Consistently GoodMANYCDined on 5/7/2014Over the years I have had dinner and brunch at the Red Cat and from the minute I walk in the door I have been glad I made the reservation. The welcome is warm, they do their utmost to accommodate your table location request and the wait staff are attentive, knowledgeable and ensure the pace of the meal allows for dining. Food is consistently delicious, especially the Skate when its on the menu and I like the use of seasonal salad and vegetable selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise Level really highBobbieVIPDined on 5/7/2014I know one o'clock is popular and that good restaurants are hard to find, but the noise level here. I was screaming over my entire lunch, does not make it enjoyable. The tin roof provides no sound cushion, and the waiters are hard-pressed to give good service. The pizza was great. There must be a better way as it's a great Chelsea location.Special Features:
- A favorite dining spot in NYCcatfoodieDined on 5/6/2014I try to get to Red Cat whenever I'm in NY. The restaurant has never failed to please, surprise, and delight. The first thing we noticed was the freshness and flavor of the olive oil served with the crusty bread. We ordered appetizers -red beet salad, and tempura green beans with hot mustard dip. Both were perfectly prepared and delicious. I had the pea tendril ravioli as a main dish, my companion had the hake, which were excellent, and we shared a plate of fresh spring peas, and a rhubarb crumble for dessert. The service was attentive without being intrusive. Ambience was lively without feeling noisy or crowded (though the restaurant was full). Altogether a very satisfying and pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:
- Snobby Maitre-dGabbysueVIPDined on 5/4/2014I went here last Sunday for a brunch at noon. I was 10 mins early and asked if I could be seated earlier. The maitre d told me they were running on time and I would have to wait for the table and she said this with attitude as if she was superior to me. I am a paying customer, you should treat customers with respect. The restaurant was half empty with plenty of available seats, I didn't say anything and I waited. I was not seated until 12.20 (20 mins after the reservations)...the empty tables were still empty. Why ask someone to wait when you have plenty of available seats? Just to make it look like they are popular? If they do this to maintain the image they are popular, it is NOT working.Special Features:
- Nice brunch placeAJiLVIPDined on 5/4/2014Chill vibe, the nutella fritter thing was really good. Cute place in Chelsea, recommended if you're looking for solid food and a laidback but nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luvs2eatDined on 5/4/2014Found out about this Chelsea gem on Tasting Table. Great food (highly recommend rabbit orichetta and zucchini sauté) and service. Would go again ... Maybe try dinner!Special Features:
- Fun night outPhillyguyDined on 5/3/2014Food was good we had the Pork chop & salmon both were delicious and well prepared. Green bean tempura was a nice starter to share. Only draw back was 2 tables of some very loud people who were enjoying some after dinner cocktails. But they having fun with friends so you didn't mind so much. Service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inventive food heavy on veggies.Jar1229VIPDined on 5/3/2014We really loved the menu here - especially the chicken liver terrine and the pea rabioli. The skate lacked sauce. The semifreddo dessert was also delicious. Great wine list and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably Good8BlackcatVIPDined on 5/3/2014Wonder Restaurant Great menu and food Great ambiance. Lovely eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Red Cat rocksSarahDined on 5/2/2014So happy to be able to get a reservation! Red Cat is terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkipBuzzVIPDined on 5/1/2014Extremely popular, high energy spot in Chelsea. Attractive bar and dining room packed to the rafters with tables closely spaced. Menu nicely varied. Both grilled asparagus and filet mignon tartare appetizers were very well prepared and very tasty. Skate with pea puree was VG, perhaps a bit overdone. Atlantic Hake was outstanding. Pistachio Semifreddo desert is to die for! Wine list well diversified and affordably priced. Service is professional but slightly harried. Decently priced and highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the same as it ever wasrajdVIPDined on 4/28/2014A favorite for years, I returned to the Red Cat recently only to find that it is definitely not the same as it ever was. While still a lovely experience in many ways, the service was a bit bumpy, and the beans...oh the tempura string beans. Once a classic that I used to call ahead to order on my way to the restaurant, this time they were a soggy, congealed mess. They were also out of an entrée, and a wine selection (it was only 6 p.m.), which our server failed to mention before we had the misfortune of trying to order both. Hopefully it was just an off night, as the Red Cat has always been a favorite.
- Fabulous FindGingerBread1972Dined on 4/27/2014This is our go to place for great food, service and consistency. Just enough formality. Just enough fun. Staff is amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPLENDID!TheOpinionatedDined on 4/25/2014I absolutely love this place! Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original and fabulouszeeceeVIPDined on 4/25/2014The menu is exciting and everything we had was delicious. Don't miss the string beans, fried to be like tempura with a mustardy sauce. The orso that accompanied the pork chop was one of the best things ever. And the red wine we had with a name like Brillante was also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.