329 Market St
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
Downtown / Gaslamp
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.royalindia.com/
- Phone: 6195467777
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Friday - Sunday: 3:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Indian
- Executive Chef: Kambo Brothers
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: No party is too small or too large for us. We have well built hall which can accommodate many number of people with all the luxuries provided. We can cater Indian cuisine, Italian food, Mexican food etc. For Indian food we can bring Tandoor onsite with team of our chefs and staff. Royal India is adequately equipped for corporate events or office parties with abundance of tranquility. Royal India offers a unique luncheon and dining experience.
- Private Party Facilities: You tell us what you want and,we’ll set the scene. Whether want to organize a rehearsal dinner or a corporate event, we will create a personalized, enjoyable, and memorable event. Our team of expert staff will do everything required to make your experience enjoyable. We will take care of every detail and make your experience a memorable one, from a welcoming greeting to the last bite of dessert.
- Private Party Contact: Sam Kambo 6194870000
- Entertainment: Ambiance Dancers on special occasions.
A word from Royal India
"Experience the difference with the Royal Touch" Escape to the hottest Indian restaurant in Southern California. At multi award winner Royal India you will be utterly pampered with gracious hospitality, plush Ambiance and world class food made with authentic ingredients and recipes, that will leave you utterly aglow. So Good So Pure So ROYAL "Experience the spirit of spice in every bite" Only at Royal IndiaContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Royal India reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (13)good for groups (11)special occasion (8)neighborhood gem (8)great for outdoor dining (7)romantic (5)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Ladies out for dining wellSheristrDined on 2/23/2014Fantastic experience from moment we walked in & smelled heavenly aromas. Small group of female conventioneers from out of town really looking forward to the visit. Delicious food, attentive service while still giving us space. Beautiful surroundings. Good menu - tandori chicken surprisingly moist. Tika masala so good. You converted whole group to loving Indian cusine for those on the fence and disappoint longtime fans. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceJaxpaxDined on 2/14/2014The food and decorations/atmosphere were great and the waiters were all nice. They could work on better service though because I found myself waiting a little long for everything: water, food, check. Despite that I definitely recommend the restauraunt for a romantic date!Special Features:
- Valentine DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I booked this restaurant for Valentine dinner to have romantic dinner with my spouse. Frankly, we didn't enjoy much. Prior booking table I have explicitly asked for Candle light dinner which they completely ignored it. I would never visit this restaurant on Special occasions. Also, This restaurant seem to be little congested and food was okay. We ordered Biryani which was more like Fried Rice.Special Features:
- Nice ExperienceFrankDined on 2/14/2014Pleasant owner and very good food. Only complaint was that we asked that our food order nit be ordered for a while so we could enjoy cocktail and hors dourves (sp). Waitress assured us no problem. Hors dourves and drinks arrived and less than 10 mins later the main courses arrived. That was disappointing for our party of 4 but otherwise it was good night overall. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to the hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014Went here for Valentines day and was greeted with quick seating and smiling staff. The place was not busy at all, so when it took 10 minutes to get water and the attention of a waiter, my hopes quickly diminished. After which we were informed that the only menu we could order from was the single "valentines day" menu which was $50 a person. At this point we were about to just get up and leave but as they room filled they quickly realized they needed to abandon their menu idea as most all patrons were less than thrilled with the offer. We decided to stay and enjoyed the food. It was very good however overpriced. It was nice environment, but overall I wouldn't go back unless I wasn't paying.
- Fun Family EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/9/2014Great food and fun drinks made for an excellent evening.Special Features:
- This was our second time here.BrutusDined on 1/17/2014This was our second time here. Great Indian food, will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!FoodguruDined on 1/10/2014This is by far my favorite Indian food Restraunt great food great service and wonderful atmosphere. The prices are reasonable for the portion sizes you get and of course the quality! I highly recommend this place to any Indian food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Room for improvementVarfamDined on 1/1/2014Food was very good service was not . They kept interrupting and trying to take the dishes before we were done eating . The dinner felt rushed. The chicken tikka and palak paneer were noteworthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalPapadDined on 12/25/2013I love the fact this restaurant was open on Christmas day, Was able to relax and eat great food. Although the management did not plan accordingly for the busy day of foot traffic. Our poor waitress was running around trying to keep up and she did very well, but she did struggle to keep us happy. Service was great, food was excellent but the management should get a spanking for poor planning and putting all of their servants through a hellish night. I would recommend this place to people who love Indian food. Decor needs some updating as for any restaurant with these prices. Needs some more elegance and more balanced lighting as one room is very dark and then another extremely bright.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Spin on Christmas Eve DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013This was a special evening for our family. Often times my 13 year old and 5 year old are very picky about food, but not on this night. They loved it all. We were able to order the meal for two, extra rice, samosa, and nan. It took care of the whole family. The staff was excellent with my 5 year old. They made great suggestions and made the time a memorable night for the whole family. The meal was supposed to be a gift for my wife but instead it ended up being a gift for the whole family. Could not have asked for a better experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well, it was fastBMacDined on 12/17/2013On the strength of a number of online rave reviews, we gave Royal India a try. I was surprised at the low number of items on the menu, but maybe that would mean fresh and scintillating flavors. Overall, the service was rapid and polite, but in the swift flow of items from the kitchen, our appetizers never materialized. The salad was nondescript, but the accompanying somoza was quite nice. Entrees were without particular merit, and looked and tasted as though they had been defrosted and re-warmed. It was a disappointment, especially when compared to our two other dining experiences in San Diego, which were close to stellar, and quite nearby. Our appetizers were credited on the bill before I even mentioned it. We were there less than an hour.
- Very nice and peaceful!FoodcritiquerDined on 12/6/2013This restaurant had a nice, quiet ambiance, just off the main trek in gaslamp, but it made a world of difference! Food was delicious, service was great. Overall, very nice, but a bit pricey.. For $2 of us with one entree and garlic naan (no drinks, appetizers, or dessert) total was just over $50.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining at Royal IndiaEpicureanDined on 12/6/2013Wonderful downtown San Diego location and an easy walk from the main business and shopping district. I sanpled the naan, lamb Rogan Josh, Chicken Tikka Masala and Vegetarian Korma. They were all authentic, full of flavor, with just the right amount of spice and made with fresh ingredients. Two thumbs up on service and the food. Will definitely come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced food and bad service!Skyhawk73Dined on 11/14/2013Average to good and overpriced! Limited menu due to convention in town. We came to this restaurant after looking at their extensive menu on their website but found out that they had limited it to very few dishes and since it was late and we were hungry we didn't really have much of a choice. Food was way overpriced for the quantity and quality. Server had a bad attitude, kept banging things around change the table cloth and cutlery on the tables around us and was a constant nuisance. Never came to ask if we needed anything. When I pointed out a cracked glass I was served water in, there was no apology, just simply picked it up and came back and replaced it with another. Had to ask a couple of times for a kids cup of water for my son.
- Don't use a coupon!metzlerDined on 11/13/2013We followed all directions on the coupon but when we got there, they refused to honor it. We walked out and went to Rama Thai ( Excellent restaurant) !
- terrible servicediner123Dined on 11/11/2013Made a reservation for 10 two weeks in advance. But the hostess separated us in two tables of five without a hint of an apology. Each table was large enough for eight so the five at each table could barely talk across the large table. The food was ok but definitely not worth th e terrible service. There are much better Indian food options nearby. Would not go back.
- Best Indian FoodLisaDined on 11/10/2013The food is to die for! Great location in Gaslamp Quarter. We come here every year when in San Diego on business and every year it was the best dining experience of the trip and we wish we ate there every night! I guess the place is on the more expensive side for San Diego standards, but I'm from NYC, so I think the prices are more than reasonable and well worth the quality of food! Only downside... They don't serve coffee! But there's a Starbucks right next store!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as AlwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/10/2013Simply put...maybe the best Indian food in San Diego. Get there early...half the restaurant was reserved for a special event. Before we had our entrees, the rest of the tables - inside and out - were filled.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overshadowed by wedding receptionagt24Dined on 11/9/2013We were in town for a conference and made a reservation for six at 7:30 and arrived promptly at 7:30 and were told there were no tables available. The restaurant was hosting a wedding reception that was taking up half of the dining room. We waited at the bar for 30-45 minutes and were finally seated outside. I enjoy sitting outside but there are no ambient heaters so several members of our party were quite chilly. The food arrived promptly and was good but unremarkable. Our servers were attentive and courteous. I assume the problem with our reservation was due to the wedding reception -- there was a general air of chaos in the restaurant. Maybe they were just having an off-night.
- OVERCHARGED/OVER-SERVEDdavidDined on 11/8/2013The server was in a hurry to take our order and doubled the order. the portions were on small side so I didn't think twice when the two plates came. My bad for not looking at bill until after leaving. We were charged $60 for 4 small pieces of Salmon. Our first time in many years. The food was wonderful. Everything was fine, including the double dinner. I probably would have left hungry without it.Special Features:
- WOW!LBS1029Dined on 11/1/2013I had a surprise birthday dinner for my husband here. (About 12 of us) the service was fantastic, appetizers and food served in a timely manner. The food. .the food was THE BEST indian cuisine I've ever eaten. Explosion of flavors! Our friends really enjoyed as several had never eaten Indian. We will be back again and often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very tastyKatSDDined on 10/26/2013The food was very good, as was the service and atmosphere. The only thing not so good thing was that our main dish was served shortly our very hot soup arrived. So by the time we got to the main dish, it was almost cold.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Regarding Dinner QualityAkhileshDined on 10/23/2013We ordered dal makhani, malai kofta. So reveiw is based on them. We ordered for medium spicy but food was too much spicy. It was very difficult for us to finish our food. Otherwise we were happy with the quantity of the food. Service was good. ambience was good. But it was too expensive. price rate need to revise. if you want customer to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst Indian foodPaulaSSZDined on 9/24/2013This was the worst Indian food I ever had! Items on the menu that haven't been served in years, what is that? Update your menu!!
- Royal India is OutstandingLuv2EatOutDined on 9/14/2013The service was excellent and very helpful and the food is out if this world. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent, reallyanneDined on 9/12/2013Food was excellent, really delicious. Service was good but a little slow. Parking was a problem. Awesome martini! Ambiance was better inside than outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodpaulDined on 8/31/2013Traffic was enough to keep us from returning. Food was very good but a bit to much upselling for my taste and a bit of irritation at the end when I asked for a box to take my small portion home. Good but not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Take a Step into a Royal RestaurantJasonDined on 8/19/2013From the moment you walk in the door you are immersed in a plethora of delicious smelling entrees and beautiful traditional acoustic Indian music. After taking a look around, you might think that you have stepped into some sort of Indian palace. There are gilded arches and a sparkling fountain covers the back wall. Each one of the plush, red and gold booths look like royal thrones and are delightful to sit down in. The food was delicious. We really enjoyed the Korma curry. All of our food was delicious, we just felt like we have had better Indian food at other restaurants. However, the atmosphere is unbeatable. I took my girlfriend here and we had a great time, I'd recommend it for romantic dates as it is very quiet and peaceful there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealluvssandiegoDined on 8/1/2013Decor is tasteful and appropriate, food delicious, especially the naan, and moderately priced. Only problem we had was that we visited with a coupon from the newspaper. It wasn't clear if it the price was for one or two persons or how many portions you received. Unfortunately the server was very confused as well, but did his best to make us happy. Curry was wonderful - would definitely go back again when looking for Indian food in San Diego.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spoilt - haven't found it yetKiwiDined on 7/27/2013We were really looking forward to an Indian dinner with our new neighbors. With all the ratings we read, we were expecting to have an exceptional experience. As we travel, and have lived in Australia for a couple of years, we enjoyed Indian food at a couple of favorites during that time. We also discovered an Indian Restaurant close to Heathrow Airport in London which excelled in both flavors, options and presentation, that we wished it was transplanted many times-Mr Todiwala's Kitchen. Also, 3 of us were served and then there was a considerable wait before my husband's food came out without any explanation from our waiter. Unfortunately, Royal India did not meet our expectations and we will continue to search for that right place for us.
- Very Good Experience on All LevelsHawaiiBikerDined on 7/15/2013We went as a group of 7. We were seated promptly. 2 had never been to an Indian restaurant previously, and 1 had never eaten lamb. The waiter was helpful on making the choices for those who had not previously been exposed to what is my favorite ethnic cuisine. The food was delicious, and the servings were generous. Everyone - including those for whom this was a new experience - said that they really enjoyed the dinner. I know that I did. I would return tomorrow if I lived in San Diego. I noticed later that there was an 18% gratuity added to the check. I had added another tip. I called the restaurant, spoke with our waiter, and my credit card already (in 2 days) has been credited with the amount of the additional gratuity.Special Features:
- It is the best food from IndiaPopsFanDined on 7/14/2013It is the best food from India that I have had in many years. Service was impecable and courteous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelishIlovefoodVIPDined on 7/13/2013The food here was delicious with a wide variety for vegetarieans and meat-eaters alike. While the food is good and delicious, the service is quite slow, especially with drinks. The drinks were slow and at one point we were tempted to grab the water pitcher and fill the glass ourselves.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/6/2013Staff obviously very new. Food Blah. Generally a poor experience followed by indigestion.
- Pleasant But Not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2013This is a nice setting for conversation and relaxed dining. The staff is courteous, but our server seemed to lack knowledge about service and the menu. My husband ordered a glass of cabernet sauvignon. The server returned, explaining that they were out of cabernet sauvignon (really?), so he brought a glass of chardonnay instead (!). We're not wine snobs, but that isn't exactly a replacement. The food was good but not spectacular. The chicken korma had very little chicken to it. The lamb rogan josh was a little better. The hummus had a nice flavor and the sag was excellent. Overall a pleasant but not inspiring experience. We will not return.Special Features:
- special occasion dinnerwineanddineDined on 7/1/2013Being it our 9th wedding anniversary we requested one of their best tables and we were sat at a table for 2 in front of the waterfall. Very nice. Our reservation was for 5:30 on a Monday evening so the restaurant was not busy at all. Food was good; we ordered our curries medium spiced and that level definately had a kick. The pappadum and garlic naan is phenomenal. Our only negative comment is that the chicken pieces were too small. Overall a very good dining experience and we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian FoodjkwdvmVIPDined on 6/22/2013We were here for an early dinner (5:30 PM) before the theater. The restaurant was fairly empty because of the hour. The food and service were good. The server seemed confused by our wine order and we had to point out the wines on the menu despite the fact that we were ordering wines by the glass, which I would expect to be familiar. The food was good and I was impressed that basmati rice is included with the entrees and they would gladly bring more if requested. They did not have saffron rice which was a little disappointing. The naan and bengan bharta were excellent. The ambiance was ok but a little run down. I was just with a friend for a causal dinner so it was fine but I wouldn't go here on a date necessarily unless it was very casual.Special Features:
- delicious foodbobbyDined on 6/16/2013we went on fathers day and it was just wonderful . The customer service was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodMattDined on 6/15/2013Excellent food and Naan, seasoned and spiced very well. We really enjoyed our dinner here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.