520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: 2025184092x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (64)great for outdoor dining (57)great for brunch (44)good for groups (41)vibrant bar scene (26)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (4)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great neighborhood spotspot82Dined on 11/2/2013My friends and I went had brunch at Shaw's Tavern this past weekend and had a great time. The restaurant has a lovely patio so we decided to sit outside and enjoy the nice weather. The server was very attentive and the brunch menu is very good. We all ordered different dishes and everyone was pleased with what they ordered. My only improvement would be to serve better coffee. The coffee was pretty bland. Other than that minor glitch, I would recommend this place for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good entreesGee32VIPDined on 10/30/2013Had two special entrees, braised lamb shank and NY strip both were amazing. Both of which are being added to the menu. Always get the fried green tomatoes. Highly recommend for dinner! House red wine is also really good and reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- burger night!foooodVIPDined on 10/22/20131/2 price burgers on Tuesdays and 2-for-1 beers. Can't beat it. My buddy appreciated the portobello option and we would both like to see a homemade veggie burger be added. I swapped the fries for a good portioned side salad for no upcharge. Food was tasty and my buddy liked his beers. No complaints!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed itEmmmDined on 10/12/2013My family and I enjoyed our brunch at Shaw's Tavern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unfriendly Waitress1dcdiningdivaVIPDined on 9/28/2013The waitress wasn't the friendliest; however, she was much more friendly, and attentive, to the rowdy table behind us. She almost seemed like she was annoyed with us.
- Fabulous place for affordable,SaraVIPDined on 9/8/2013Fabulous place for affordable, friendly outdoor brunch in the neighborhood. Waitress was great, although they seemed slightly understaffed for the first 30 minutes we were there. THey keep the bottomless mimosa's flowing! Well worth 12 dollars.
- Now a believerHillaryDined on 9/7/2013My first experience here was less than ideal but thanks to good customer service extended by the general manager via a gift card my friends and I visited a second time. Our second experience was a stark contrast to the first. We had excellent service, prompt seating and tasty food. All around we had an enjoyable evening dining alfresco. Most importantly we all now agree to frequent this neighborhood gem for outdoor group meals! Oh and don't forget to order the Mac n cheese :)Special Features:
- Yum!ladystylistDined on 9/1/2013Fun rustic atmosphere with nice cocktails and good food. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- European vibeCattDined on 8/31/2013It was great sitting on patio when it was a hot day. Really delight full and great refreshing drinks pink lemonade with vodka!, beers and food. It has a bit of an European vibe which we love.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly DisapointedmmcadenheadDined on 8/23/2013After a great night here the week before I decided to take my friends here for my birthday. They nearly ruined my birthday, taking almost two hours to finally get our entrees, and only after we demanded attention from a manager and a friend of mine stood at the kitchen. The only excuse they had to offer was the kitchen was backed up. This didn't explain the wait time for our drinks or the fact that the table seated nearby and well after us of the same size got there entrees first. Not only were my guest hungry, but the bad taste in my guest mouth from this poor service killed the mood and our appetites. Thank you Shaw's Tavern for nearly ruining my birthday.
- Great Tavern that has maturedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2013My wife and I have been to Shaw Tavern three times. Shortly after they opened, a few months ago and this past weekend. Their food went from ok to excellent. Every dish we received was top notch this past Sunday. We will definitely return. I will note that since the neighborhood is still on the rise, you can expect to see homeless folks stare at you while you enjoy a yummy meal on the tavern's outdoor seating area. Also, since the tavern is located on Florida Ave the street noise is very high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchCal5Dined on 8/11/2013First time visit. Party of four. Sunday Brunch. Seated quickly. Once ordered, food took almost an hour to get. Hushpuppies, for a starter, undercooked and mushy. Mac &Cheese skillet w/biscuit side was brought out with dry toast because they “ran out” of buscuits That is not only bad service, but bad form. Chicken and waffles with syrup poured on the chicken not of sufficient quantity to reach the very dry waffles beneath them. Bacon/Cheddar omelet (“OK”) with side of cheese grits (very good) and finally a Bacon/cheeseburger that got a rave.
- Service needs major workmrsplacedsoulVIPDined on 8/10/2013Our waiter couldn't have been more absent. The owner/hostess even had to check on us to see if we'd been checked in with by our waiter. After asking for our check, we waited another 15 minutes for him to come back to our table, and it wasn't even a busy time. If the food was fantastic, I'd let it go, but it wasn't worth it.
- wouldn't knownothappyDined on 8/6/2013I went to dine at Shaw's tavern, looking forward to trying a few things on the menu. After being completely passed over by waiters for 25 minutes, my date and I left without experiencing any of what Shaw's looked like they had to offer. We were both starving and very unhappy with the service.
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2013Cant be punishing to a restaurant when you've only been once and havent tried the whole menu. So Im just gonna be matter of fact. Went for dinner and found the spot not packed but still alive. My party chose to eat inside b/c it looked like service would be quicker there. Hostess was very attentive waiter took a while to get on board but was ok. We werent a huge party requiring lots of refills and food courses. But having no silverware or plates on the table when our apps came out was not a good look. But hey mistakes happen and was easily corrected. Now the calamari was fresh but lacking a good sauce accompaniment. Was dying for some plain simple marina sauce! Jambalaya Risotto was a miss too bland and taste like it was out of a box!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningMonaDined on 8/4/2013We sat outside on a gorgeous evening sharing awesome fried green tomatoes then delighting in salad and entrees. The blue salad is excellent as is the jambalaya orzo. I'll return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Time. Food was good.brunchgoerDined on 8/1/2013Good Time. Food was good. Server was a little absent minded but no real problem. Nice place before a show at the Howard. Not too crowded when we were there.Special Features:
- Mediocre at BestOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/19/2013This restaurant should focus on being a local bar, and not a restaurant. Despite our Open Table reservation, a table was not available when we arrived. After being seated and placing our orders it took the kitchen about an hour to delivery our food, mind you we had what I thought were simple orders, pulled pork sandwich and club sandwich. Based on the amount of time it took to prepare our food I was hoping it would be amazing, but it wasn't, it was pretty average. I felt bad for our waitress, as she was doing the best she could to keep us happy despite the kitchen's massive delays. All and all I won't go back to eat at Shaw's Tavern, but would perhaps consider having a drink.
- Never again!NANAVIPDined on 7/19/201390 minutes after having ordered entree, we left a tip for cocktails and walked out. Hot! Loud! Greasy table tops! Perfect place for the incoming college crowd. Once they mature, they'll never return.
- Great for outdoor loversbaconVIPDined on 7/13/2013Shaw Tavern has a new chef and with that a new menu. I do miss the old brunch items and classics but the breakfast burger was off the charts. That said I have been here before and cannot have dairy. My last visit they were able to accommodate me with soy milk and this played a large influence on our decision to again go for breakfast/brunch. I was saddened to learn that they no long will be accommodating coffee drinkers who ask for soy milk. This will probably prevent my group from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had a warm welcome andDCsbbDined on 7/7/2013We had a warm welcome and sang a cute birthday song with a bunch of other customers. Goat cheese salad was great and the sausage scramble was good too, but the biscuit was not my favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood barUStFoodieVIPDined on 7/3/2013The food is more than your typical bar food. We love the fried green tomatoes. The pizza is perfect for kids. The hamburger and rib plate is good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for Nice WeatherOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2013The outdoor patio is great! The food looks better than it tastes, but isn't terrible. Happy Hour specials were decent ($2 off house wines and $3 PBR).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okVidaDined on 6/16/2013Based in the reviews, I set my expectations pretty high. Overall the food was average. We had the mussells ( I'd give them a "B"), the hush puppies ( a "C" because they were bland), the scallops and grits (B-, scallops great, grits just okay), and crab cake sandwich (B/C). Staff very friendly though. They brought the appetizers and entrees out together, which drives me nuts!!!!Special Features:
- FairMLRVVIPDined on 6/9/2013Shaw's Tavern has a great ambiance and selection of drinks but I never get my hopes up too much about the food. This time, my food came out lukewarm and my pancakes were soggy. Hopefully they'll get it right one of these days.Special Features:
- I really like brunch at thisOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/9/2013I really like brunch at this place. The staff is awesome, the mimosas are great, I love the patio. Last time I brought some friends though and I feel like maybe they were having an off day. The chicken on my friends salad was like sawdust and everything else was just ok. I still really like this place and will be back but they need to get their food back where it used to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2013I dined at Shaw's Tavern on Friday May 31, 2013. I made reservations through open table and requested seating outside. I arrived and got seating inside by a window near the back of the restaurant. My seating was perfect. Loved it. The restaurant was nice inside and out. I tried a brand of wine I never had before and Loved it as well. The food was good but the portions were for what I got. I left hungry but that's not biggie. Nice place to go for drinks. I'm not big on restaurants that are loud, so the noise level in Shaw's Tavern was just right. A great experience for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeRickVIPDined on 5/17/2013The food was very good and the service was friendly. It was a little loud inside for conversation so we sat outside. There is construction happening next door but once that it completed the outdoor seating will be excellent.Special Features:
- Great SpotDaveVIPDined on 5/15/2013Great Spot to get a bite or a drink. The burgers are excellent (per my companions), the pizza was pretty forgettable though....
- Truffle fries or bustFrankiVIPDined on 4/28/2013Get the truffle fries. Everything else is forgettable.Special Features:
- The host, Derick, made a SundayLaurMVIPDined on 4/28/2013The host, Derick, made a Sunday Brunch wait tons of fun! However, his energetic round-up lefy people waiting longer than they should have. Balance...Special Features:
- Shaw Tavern reviewOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/28/2013Shaw was nice. However, I think I am spoiled with our brunch options in baltimore that seem to be higher quality food-wise and that certainly cost less than the comparable spots I have been to in DC.Special Features:
- We ate there Sat and Sun forDaveVIPDined on 4/27/2013We ate there Sat and Sun for brunch last weekend and had a wonderful time, both times! Great service, friendly staff, tasty food, fun atmosphere... loved it and highly recommend it :-)Special Features:
- Best restaurant in Shaw.dcdinerDined on 4/25/2013A world away from the madness of 14th St., I appreciate the neighborhood feel of this place while at the same time it's a very good restaurant. The staff are so friendly and welcoming, the feel is like a long-established restaurant in Europe. Most enjoyable meal I've had in months.Special Features:
- I really enjoy the restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/22/2013I really enjoy the restaurant it was my first time and was very exciting, enthusiatics and the staff was very well polite, and well entuned with their customers and needs. excellentSpecial Features:
- Great service, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2013Great service, great food and tasty mimosas. Very accommodating and friendlySpecial Features:
- Everything was very nice.chillyDined on 4/20/2013Everything was very nice. Staff & guests were friendly. Some might think it was too loud bc lots of folks into the basketball game on, but we enjoyed all the action & people watching. Food was reaaly good too. It's hard to find a place for decent meal before a show at the 9:30 Club or Howard Theater but this works and only have to park once.Special Features:
- Really good food and atmosphere.walterVIPDined on 4/17/2013Really good food and atmosphere. We had a great time.Special Features:
- Shaw Tavern is my local publicswedeDined on 4/12/2013Shaw Tavern is my local public house and I have always enjoyed my experiences. This was for a send-off for my wedding and Shaw was very accommodating to a large party where friends came in and out over the evening. Great service and a great place to have an informal party.Special Features:
- Fun, attentive service but chill spasxantosDined on 3/29/2013Decent food but nothing to go home raving about. Open kitchen to dining area can be a little loud. Good for those that like vibrant scene. We had an awesome server though so that made it fun.Special Features: