520 Florida Ave NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.shawstavern.com/
- Phone: 2025184092x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday -Saturday: 5:00pm - 11pm, Sunday & Monday 5:00pm-10:00pm
Bar open until midnight Sunday - Thursday, 2:30am Friday & Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Peter Prime
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact us if you are interested in private events or group happy hours.
- Private Party Contact: Rob Heim, General Manager 8776251703
- Entertainment: Wednesdays Piano Bar with Jill Parsons 9:30pm
Thursdays Live Jazz 9pm
Fridays Live Bands 8pm
A word from Shaw's Tavern
Shaw's Tavern is an exciting DC gastropub located in the heart of the city that brings a seasonal menu and innovative atmosphere to the energetic Shaw Neighborhood. Our seasonal menu offers both a vast array of classic comforts and rustic delicacies. Here, people gather to dine in one of the best restaurants in Washington, DC with family and friends amongst a backdrop that combines urban form with country elegance. Whether you are searching for a quiet table for two or multiple private dining venues, Shaw's Tavern is one of the best dining experiences in Washington, DC and can cater to all of your dining needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Shaw's Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (65)great for outdoor dining (57)great for brunch (44)good for groups (40)vibrant bar scene (27)great for lunch (24)fit for foodies (21)hot spot (14)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)romantic (4)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great pub food!JoanieboVIPDined on 4/25/2014It's a tavern with really good food -- love the dressing on the salad. Reasonable prices. Although it's not in my neighborhood, it's definitely worth going back to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!NY2DMVDined on 4/24/2014This restaurant is wonderful. I was quite pleased with the food and service. Pretty laid back ambience, worth the return trip to try other entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusually disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/12/2014This was a dire night for the restaurant by any standards. The food took around 1 hour 10 mins from when we ordered it to arrive. When it finally did arrive, after much complaining to the wait staff, it was not as described on the menu. One vegetable and quinoa plate had no quinoa - the restaurant said they had run out when we asked. I ordered chicken which was supposed to come with roast vegetables. There were none. The restaurant had a big party upstairs but they clearly took in more people than they could cater. I usually like this place. I would give it another chance but was seriously disappointed even though they gave us all the food for free in the end.
- Apps were good. Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2014Apps were good. Not impressed with the entrees/sandwiches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy, Uneven Neighborhood SpotNeighborDined on 4/12/2014Fun hang out. Very much a tavern, with dark interior, great windows & streetside outdoor seating. Can be noisy inside with excellent, but over-amped singer, & outside with ambulances from nearby Howard hospital. Service started out prompt but ended so slow that we had to box entire entrée to make an event. Prices a bit hi for some entrees at this modest place. Most food tasty but not gourmet. Know that the lamb app is rather bland & very heavy on double-fries. Like Aanold, I'll be back.Special Features:
- Sunday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Food was decent but came to me cold. I had to send back the soup and ask them to reheat. My grilled cheese sandwich also could have been hotter. Overall, the food was fine. I'd like to give them another chance but hope the service is better the next time around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love me some Shaw TavernKingMynoDined on 4/4/2014My girlfriend and I stopped in for dinner on a Friday and had a fantastic time. We split an appetizer and got a sandwich and a beer each; the prices were great and the sandwiches were huge (if you're hungry, get the Big Charcuterie). There was also a live bluegrass band playing, which we loved. Can't say enough good things about Shaw Tavern, it's a wonderful spot in a burgeoning part of DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service to service membernesrobin4VIPDined on 3/28/2014I was celebrating with my friend who just returned from a tour of Duty. Our server was great. The food very delicious and great for someone who just served our country. She really appreciated it. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We started with the blue salad,CaitVIPDined on 3/23/2014We started with the blue salad, which was quite good. I had the jumbalaya and my fiancé had the half chicken. Both were decent, but nothing spectacular, and like many things in DC, overpriced. It's a nice spot and decent food if you live on or near the neighborhood. For dinner, it's not worth a trip, but for the bar scene, I think it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You must try their brunch menu!BrunchfandcVIPDined on 3/23/2014Shaw's Tavern is a neighborhood delight, situated in the quickly developing shaw neighborhood just on Florida Avenue past U Street, it's location is prime. But the atmosphere and the food are even better. The brunch menu especially is absolutely delicious. I've had almost everything on the menu and it all tastes amazing. The brunch burger is an easy callout, and the brunch pizza is pretty much to die for. The red velvet pancakes are also good, but a bit too sweet for my taste with the cream cheese frosting, but seriously just go and try anything. And get a brunch beverage while you're at it. You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Burnt, too loud, and way too slowheyyoDined on 3/15/2014The burgers were actually pretty good. The fried green tomatoes were burnt. They were obviously left in the fryer for a bit too long. Our appetizer (FGT) took 25 minutes to come out. Our entrees (the burgers) took 40 minutes to come out. That was a bit ridiculous. Not worth it.
- Expensive, Decent food, but $$fightingfredVIPDined on 3/15/2014Not a great deal for what you get. We got burgers that were good, but fries the fries were terrible. $12 for just a hamburger and terrible fries? No thank you. The bread pudding was exquisite and worth the money.
- I ordered the pizza. The crustOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/14/2014I ordered the pizza. The crust was not cooked on the top - still looked like raw dough. The cheese was low quality. Very disappointing. My boyfriend had the pulled pork sandwich. It was more like a sloppy joe. I thought this would be an authentic neighborhood spot, it felt more like a sports bar and the food was very disappointing. I won't be going back.
- Slow on food deliveryOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/9/2014The food was okay and took forever (we waited over 30 mins for our table of four's meals to be served during a nearly empty Sunday brunch), but our server was polite and quick with taking our orders and coffee refills. Overall, I liked the ambiance and am looking forward to enjoying the patio when the weather is warmer, but based on the food we got for brunch, I think I might just go for happy hour. I may amend my review once I've visited again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud and slowJTNUGENTVIPDined on 3/7/2014So, I thought the point of a reservation was that you didn't have to wait for the next available table for 40 minutes.... Our waitress was good, but the food was only so-so. The live music was okay, but cranked way too loud which made everyone shout to each other to speak, which made the noise almost unbearable. Got out of there as quickly as we could. The whole upstairs area was apparently blocked off for a party, but when I went up there, only about 5 people were there. Kinda weird.Special Features:
- Great First Visit!YergsDined on 3/7/2014My partner and I finally made it to Shaw's Tavern for the first time, after living in DC for almost 7 years! It was well worth the wait! We had a 7:15 reservation, walked in at 7:12 and were seated immediately, on a Friday! We were met with drink menus and were immediately introduced to the food menu. The appetizer and food menu had a wide range from various meets, to vegan. Our appetizers were amazing and were immediately followed by our main course. Everything was cooked and prepared to perfection. Excellent spread of bar food to some fine entrees!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighful eveningMonaDined on 3/6/2014Fortunately we got a semi-quiet table by the window. Everyone was attentive and helpful without hovering. The jambalaya was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch over Mimos & FoodbcrothDined on 3/3/2014Shaw's Tavern has always been a great spot for the nightcap, musical/piano karaoke wednesday nights. But, I was shocked to realize that their brunch was also a great event! The food was all drool-worthy and sophisticated in it's presentation, the service was on par with other DC places (so just keep on top of that waiter for drink refills ;) ), and no brunch is complete without: THE BOTTOMLESS MIMOSA! This spot will be put on the repeat list of brunching spots for my friends and I, for sure.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PleasantLancerDined on 3/2/2014Wonderful brunch experience for a moderate price by DC standards. The entire restaurant had a great laugh when a shelf of plates fell over while we were there. I know it sounds like a bad thing, but the neighborhood ambiance of the place made it a funny and memorable moment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch in ShawjbndcDined on 2/23/2014The staff were friendly and attentive. The meal was great. Service was prompt. My only complaint was the noise level and one of our party recieved a dirty spoon. I'll chalk both up to it being extremely busy on the warmest day of the year so far. I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw's Tavern was awesome.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014Shaw's Tavern was awesome. Our server was very accommodating for a party of 12. She was very attentive and was nice enough to split up our checks at the end which was really nice. She made it as easy as possible for our group which was perfect since we were celebrating a surprise birthday party. I had the grilled cheese, tomato soup, salad and mashed potatoes. It was the perfect comfort food and was really delicious. The mashed potatoes were amazing. I could have just ordered a trio of sides, they all sounded so good. The house red wine was great. The ambiance was great. Loved the piano player and karaoke that was going on in the background. We also had the fried green tomatoes, highly recommend. We love Shaw's Tavern. It is really a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It did the trickamsreDined on 2/7/2014I wasn't terribly impressed by the food, but the atmosphere was good and the booze was plentiful. I had no idea there was an upstairs area, which was nice a little quieter. Was not a big fan of the stools at the tables though.Special Features:
- Will not be returningadb123Dined on 2/1/2014The best part about my experience was the energetic host at the front. Once seated, my server walked by our table to pick up the tip that the previous table had left. It then took him 10 minutes to come take our drink order. When we finally got our drinks, it was another 10 minutes before we got our order taken. Our server forgot our appetizer. I disliked my pulled chicken sandwich, simply shredded chicken smothered in bbq sauce, no seasoning. My calamari finally came and was very bland. My boyfriend enjoyed his club sandwich. I returned my sandwich for the pepperoni pizza, that was good. Another 10 minutes for the check and boxes. We weren't even provided with napkins. Granted, our server had many tables. But I felt completely neglected.Special Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/26/2014The food was delicious and reasonable priced. The ambience was great and the service was phenomenal. I was greeted with an enthusiastic high five from the host and my waiter never let my mimosa glass go empty. I will definitely be back with friends to try different menu items and experience the events and deals throughout the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't expect good serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 1/20/2014Especially if they stick you in a corner. The wait staff is slow and seem to have a difficult time paying attention to their tables.
- Excellent experienceGatorArcangeloDined on 1/11/2014We had tickets at the 930 Club and wanted to get a bite before the show. I've been driving by Shaw Tavern for years and finally went it. The food was fantastic and service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/9/2014Have been going to shaw t for a while now. The staff is always very friendly. I messed up a birthday reservation and the host was so nice and still accommodated us even though it was jam packed. Food is always great , cozy spot with good live music on Fridays.Special Features:
- Only been there onceJanetDined on 12/31/2013The service was phenomenal, which made up for the set-up for the band, which was not so great. We could not see the band and there was no place to really dance. I did not eat but my friends did and nobody complained. I asked for an Irish coffee, but you had no whipped cream, and your desserts were left to be desired, but it was an exciting atmosphere and easy to fall into the NYE holiday mood. It was fun but I'll come back when I can either get a better seat or you re-arrange the space for the band, add dancing, and better seating.Special Features:
- Went on New Year's Eve. OrderedmjmdcVIPDined on 12/31/2013Went on New Year's Eve. Ordered the pork sandwich, which was good. Service was slow, but it was NYE.
- Chef doesn't give a damnOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/31/2013Ordered a burger plain, "nothing but the bun" I said - burger came with mayo - both top and bottom. Sent it back - when it came back to the table the chef had very obviously scraped the mayo off and sent it back to me. Unacceptable. Restaurant comped me and gave me free burger but I've never had an experience like that before. Waiter was very nice and apologized and said he had told the manager, but manager never appeared.
- Great ExperienceDCEaterVIPDined on 12/17/2013I've been to Shaw's Tavern a few times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT BRUNCH !!!!dcjeepVIPDined on 12/8/2013First time here and the service and food was unbelievable. Michael our server was extremely friendly and very accommodating. We will be back for more!!!! ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!JonathanDined on 12/7/2013At first we were put off by the ambiance and beer smell... Then, suddenly the aroma of garlic permiated from the kitchen. We ordered the pull pork sandwich and the burger with fresh goat cheese. We also shared a side of Mac and cheese with peas and bacon. This was one of the best burgers I have had in DC. The burger was juicy and full of flavor. The goat cheese was rich, creamy, and fresh! The pulled pork was amazing. The BBQ sauce was tangy yet sweet. The fresh slaw that accompanied the pork was a perfect pairing. For dessert we got the cornbread waffle with bacon ice cream and the chocolate bread pudding. The culinary journey continued. Just spectacular. Overall an amazing culinary journey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shaw Tavern is greatAJW69Dined on 11/23/2013I'm a frequent visitor of Shaw, and I always have a great experience. The staff is responsive to turning down the loud music so you can hear a conversation. I shy away from the entrees--seem a bit expensive--but ALL of the food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch Done RightTPC10Dined on 11/23/2013Although fairly new, this restaurant is a must-visit whenever in DC for brunch. The food was delectable and the service was impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Had A Great Timenystateofmind2Dined on 11/22/2013I had a great time at Shaw's Tavern. The catfish dinner and the customer service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Saturday BrunchctellihoDined on 11/16/2013I had been to Shaw's Tavern once before, for drinks and light fare and found it to be very good - Food and Atmosphere. I went back w/ 2 friends for brunch and found it to be lacking. Red Velvet Pancakes were not red, but almost black and very heavy. Mac & Cheese w egg skillet, was undercooked, bland and not hot. (the skillet should have been put under the broiler to get a nicely browned top before adding eggs) 3 biscuits served with the Mac&Cheese were stone cold. The high round tables very crowded for 3. For 2, it's workable, but three people w/ large plates made a very crowded table. I don't know how it could have served 4, which it was set for. In addition, the high tables and chairs are not relaxing and rather uncomfortable.Special Features:
- I took my 5-year old for aNkssVIPDined on 11/13/2013I took my 5-year old for a mid-week dinner, and had a great experience all around.Special Features:
- Fab brunch experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/10/2013The service was amazing and the food was great. We'll definitely be coming back! And if you aren't into mimosas, try a jalapeno margarita, it's FANTASTIC.Special Features:
- Great Out-of-Town Guest Dinner SpotChrisDined on 11/8/2013I met a couple of friends and an out-of-town visitor to DC here for the first time. What a great find! Very fun atmosphere, good menu with tasty comfort food, and really nice staff. The NY Strip was perfectly prepared and the cheesy grits were delish. The rustic, vintage decor was great for a visitor to feel like they were in a fun local DC spot - and even my friends from "the Commonwealth" were surprised to find it was just as good as their preferred Arlington hot spots. Will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.