29 North Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chalkboardhealdsburg.com/
- Phone: 7074738030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Shane McAnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine Bar
A word from Chalkboard
Chalkboard restaurant, open May 2013 under Executive Chef Shane McAnelly, offers a modern small plates menu emphasizing seasonal and technique-driven fare. McAnelly sources much of his menu from local purveyors and farms, with many ingredients coming from the restaurant’s own dedicated 3-acre vegetable and herb garden located at nearby Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. Highlights on the daily changing menu include crudos and tartare, house-made pastas, just picked salads, roasted and grilled meats and seafood. The dining room has been completely remodeled into a contemporary and welcoming space with an open kitchen, new banquettes, hardwood floors, hand-forged iron finishes. The bar has also been renovated to create a lively environment with new finishes such as a Carrera marble bar-top. Offerings of local wine flights and an extensive list of wine-by-the-glass are a major focus at Chalkboard, as well the cocktail menu inspired by fresh ingredients from the Chalk Hill garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Chalkboard - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (198)great for outdoor dining (154)good for groups (91)special occasion (91)notable wine list (90)neighborhood gem (86)romantic (72)hot spot (53)vibrant bar scene (34)great for lunch (34)great for brunch (11)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Dining with out of state friendsMorcellaDined on 7/26/2014We always enjoy sharing amazing places with our friends. This was a hit! Our second time there and again every dish was interesting and delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/25/2014Fresh ingredients, well prepared food. Concise and solid wine list, and recently added outdoor seating. Our service was great, kept the dinner flowing nicely and made great recommendations as we moved from course to course. Overall a great experience and highly recommended!Special Features:
- Out of orderJudyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Love this spot for late lunch on weekends. While the food was all so good, it was presented "out of order." I had ordered the corn as an appetizer, but my entree was served first. Oh well, all the dishes were well prepared and our waiter most gracious. They were out of sliders when we ordered so my daughter chose something else. Five minutes later we could hear orders going in for sliders... we would have waited those five minutes for her to have her first choice of meal. The Donut Duo is deadly! Yum!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/24/2014We were there for a occasion, for dessert. Was great. Waiter very helpful with choices, and amounts. loved everything. We all plan to returnSpecial Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/23/2014WOW. Ate here for a special occasion and everything was perfect. Our server, Stefan, was extremely knowledgable, friendly, and attentive. The food came out in a timely manner. We ordered 7 plates and we never felt like we waited too long for any of them...after we finished one dish, we had another one on the table to work on. For dessert we asked to sit outside near the fire pit, and our server didn't mind brining our dessert out to us. The ambience was amazing...the music fit the mood and the chairs were extremely comfortable. It felt like paradise. Do NOT miss the Pork Belly Biscuits or the Donuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT RESTAURANT I LOVE COMING HEREWindsorWineGalDined on 7/23/2014I love coming to this restaurant for its casual elegant atmosphere, the food is always good, I like the small plates concept and I love the pork belly sliders! As much as possible comes from Chalk Hill estate culinary garden, the desserts are to die for - especially when you can get donuts! The wine list is fantastic and represents this area and Napa and Santa Barbara too. I enjoy being able to buy 3 different size pours for many wines, so you can have a taste of one or several and not feel guilty about it. This is a great place to be! The service is impeccable as well as they make everyone feel special. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone for a great night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyablemaggieDined on 7/22/2014We had a very good dinner at Chalkboard, found the food extremely good, albeit one dish a bit salty, but it did say that on the menu. The portions were just right, the service very good and polite, friendly but not over friendly, i.e.. not too gushing which we do not like . All in all a very good evening and as we live locally and have just moved to this area, we will be returning often. Great that they served Pimms too.Special Features:
- DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/21/2014WE had a light dinner at the Chalkboard and had a great experience. The Chalkboard was recommended to us by the staff at Madrona Manor when we dinned at Madrona on Sunday nite July 20 . great find for a light meal and good wine list.Special Features:
- Superb!JohnnycanuckDined on 7/21/2014This was an excellent experience all-round and I recommend highly. Superb service, superb food and atmosphere. Very well-informed and personable staff. The roasted corn was to die for and the cocktails were interesting and tasty. There are a lot of choices of places to eat in Healdsburg, but do not pass this up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SRFoodieDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Chalkboard last weekend. The food was outstanding - fresh ingredients, creative dishes - we loved every plate we ordered. Service was satisfactory. They were very busy and we had a bit of a wait between courses. Our only real complaint was the noise - it was terribly loud and we had to practically shout across the table to be heard. Will definitely return again for the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!RobGDined on 7/17/2014The food absolutely blew me away. The taste, texture, aroma, presentation... It had all of it, and it was perfect. I normally don't take the time to write reviews, but this was exceptional!!! I highly recommend it if you are in the area, and if you not, get in your car and drive there, you'll be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal but waiter was offTBMDVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had a great meal at Chalkboard food was memorable in a good way and waiter was memorable in a not so good way. He never introduced himself by name and when I asked him to explain a few dishes on the menu more fully he told me "the menu is self explanatory". He was a bit arrogant an aloof and not a people person at all. The calamari was delicious and desserts were fabulous - make sure to get the donuts of the day and candy bar dessert - my husband says best dessert he has every had at a restaurant!Special Features:
- Best Restaurant EverTheSportsVirusVIPDined on 7/17/2014We think this restaurant has the best food we have ever eaten. And this comes from 2 people who travel all over the country for work.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014Terrific place to eat in downtown Healdsburg. Great food and a fun place to try many different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointedliveforfoodandwine1202Dined on 7/16/2014disappointed with the salmon preparation- steamed in a way that left the texture mushy. A last minute order of shrimp pot stickers (our attempt to redeem the meal) were even more disappointing -hard to identify the shrimp as it was more like a mealy flavorless sausage stuffed inside a wrap with no sauce-dry and flavorless. The sweet corn con queso with chipotle sauce was admittedly delicious. Our overall take a way was that you don't have to try that hard to make good food taste good. With all the fresh "farm to table" accessibility in the area the food just dosent need to be worked that hard and..... Wheres the beef? Sliders alone do not make a restaurant
- Wonderful !!PearlieDined on 7/15/2014Popped in after looking at the menu and what a fabulous meal !!! Great food, service, wine list, etc. A must visit while in H'burg !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceDebbieDined on 7/13/2014Our waitress was very attentive and gave good suggestions regarding the small plate selections. The only disappointment was the octopus dish. Everything else was really good and we had fun sharing the dishes. I would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great Family dinnerPaloAltoDinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014Tried many small dishes, all were excellent! Especially liked sliders, squid ink pasta and crab tater tots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LMRONEVIPDined on 7/6/2014We expected more from this restaurant. The food was salty, and unevenly prepared. Wine service was slow and confused.
- Perfect!ChicagoeaterDined on 7/3/2014My husband and I recently dined at chalkboard while staying at Hotel Les Mars. It was our anniversary and they immediately brought sparking wine to our table to congratulate us. The food was amazing. Loved the grilled calamari and sliders. We also enjoyed the cocktails- nice change after a day of wine tasting. Don't miss this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcoming perfectionianonVIPDined on 7/1/2014Had dinner here after a day of sightseeing - staff was very welcoming and helpful, which is sadly somewhat uncommon when one is traveling solo. Every course was perfection, and the flights perfectly complemented my food. Waiter was knowledgeable, helpful, and attentive without being obtrusive. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Nice outdoor patio, good small plate food. Very nice wine flights, reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstnding small platesCarpeDiemVIPDined on 6/29/2014Small plates bursting with flavor, plenty of vegetarian choices, off the main drag so not too crowded Did not have a bad dishSpecial Features:
- small plate additionalocalDined on 6/28/2014chalkboard is a nice addition to healdsburg's collection of restaurants, one of four small plate eateries. the selections where good and varriedSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerBap2Dined on 6/28/2014A friend recommended that I try Chalkboard and see one of the chefs, Jason who was very friendly and gave a complimentary dish. He is outrageous chef great dish!!! Staff was excellent. I will recommend to everyone. It is a ride from the Bay Area but worth it. K.S.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent new restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/27/2014Californian cuisine can be boring, but that is not the case at Chalkboard. The dishes were inventive and well executed. This place is excellent, and this is coming from a harsh critic who is unhappy with many restaurants outside of San Francisco.Special Features:
- Always fresh, tasty and interestingshaktigalDined on 6/27/2014I've been to Chalkboard many times since it opened a year ago and have never been disappointed in the food. I am gluten intolerant and the wait staff has always been helpful in pointing out which choices are safe for me to eat. I had a friend visiting from out of town who had never been to Chalkboard so we decided to go there for dinner one night. I specifically requested their al fresco dining as I knew that inside seating can be overly noisy thus making it difficult to converse. We ordered their pre fixe menu which was a rare offering and two paired wine tastings. Everything was sensational. Although we had a great waiter, the food and wine didn't always come at the same time--but he did his best to remedy the issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5+ Star MealmbdzdiningoutDined on 6/27/2014My husband and I organized a family birthday celebration at Chalkboard for our 25 year daughter. All nine diners gave the experience 5+ stars. We sampled many diverse dishes and found each to be fresh, flavorful, and creatively prepared. Several of our guests commented that Chalkboard ranks among their all time favorite restaurants. We will definitely be back the next time we visit Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014Great combination of tastes and flavor. Just enough to share. Walked away satisfied for having shared seven plates with six adultsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but Cyrus is missed.EuroboyDined on 6/25/2014The food was hit and miss. Good service. I wish Cyrus never closed down in that location as many others feel as well. Cyrus will be missed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 448 reviews are from the Chalkboard reviews archive.
- HealdsburgFoodiesHealdsburgFoodiesDined on 6/24/2014Loved it. As last time, food is interesting and tasty, service perfect. The arugula/nectarine salad was refreshing, the quail light and complex. The tartare was meaty, not over processed, seasoned well and lovely presentation. The new patio is very nice. Need to make this our go to spot for our regular "Healdsburg Hobble"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fave Healdsburg Outdoor Diningwair4artDined on 6/20/2014Chalkboard never disappoints! As a local, I appreciate being able to get a table on the weekend. Food is inventive and delicious! The pork belly biscuits are so good they need to be sold by the dozen to take home! I am a fan of the bar and fabulous drinks, and sitting in the "library" after dinner is a pleasure! Finally, the staff sets just the right tone of warmth and efficiency.They always make us feel welcome and we leave satisfied and looking forward to our next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findTrixDined on 6/20/2014Food was delicious and unusual. We shared starters and dessert, but had individual mains. Highlights: the pulled pork biscuits, and the doughnuts.Special Features:
- SERVICEOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/20/2014The waiter we had needs so direction how to make people feel welcome it seemed to be painful for him to serve us.Special Features:
- Great for FoodiesDutchieDined on 6/20/2014Our dinner experience was nice. Small portions and 4 to 5 are suggested. You can taste different dishes and combine that with some nice wine. Very creative food combinations. I highly recommend Chalkboard, it was a nice experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/18/2014It was my boyfriend's 50th birthday and being from Healdsburg, he decided that he wanted to go to Chalkboard for his birthday dinner. What a treat! Our waitress and the manager picked 2 different glasses of wine to go with each of our dishes, so we were able to see for ourselves what worked best. Service was amazing, food came out at good intervals, and overall it was one of the best dining experiences I have had in a long time.Special Features:
- Memorable mealSuebsonicDined on 6/18/2014We took our son, who was home from college, here for the second time at his request. We were greeted immediately at the door and were given a couple of seating choices. We sat outside for the first time. What a pleasurable experience. Nice secluded and beautiful courtyard. Love the interaction that develops making menu choices. Our reserved son became quite involved and talkative as the evening evolved. Food was both interesting and excellent. Waitress was exceptional too! Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JerryDined on 6/16/2014Excellant Food , Knowledgeable Staff, Quiet, Beautiful DecorSpecial Features:
- Continued greatnessGoGiantsVIPDined on 6/15/2014With the addition of outdoor dining, and its continued commitment to great food, Chalkboard remains one of our favorite restaurant. Chef Shane has kept the menu alive with the "oldie" hits such as the pork belly biscuits, while also introducing specials such as the salmon crostini. We took the whole family for Fathers Day and it was my son's first time. He is a bit of a foodie and we had talked up Chalkoard so much that I was worried he might be disappointed. I shouldn't have worried, as he said it was easily one of the best meals he had had in a long time. Go to Chalkboard, you won't regret it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "ChalkB" not boringmmslawyerDined on 6/15/2014Better a bar than restaurant. Small plates "eclectic"( 'confused' or 'not integrated'.) Diverse selection interestingly seasoned, fairly well cooked dishes--they're well presented. CAL spin on food reflecting worldwide range of herbs and seasonings--forunately not in one dish. The variety of offerings makes transition from one course/dish to another displeasing. The flavors from the lst course linger and are most often not complementary. Very smart--they sell wines by 1/2 glass, glass,etc. Actually some of dishes difficult to pair w wine. Altho I dont drink, beer might be better.Special Features: