29 North Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chalkboardhealdsburg.com/
- Phone: 7074738030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Shane McAnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine Bar
A word from Chalkboard
Chalkboard restaurant, open May 2013 under Executive Chef Shane McAnelly, offers a modern small plates menu emphasizing seasonal and technique-driven fare. McAnelly sources much of his menu from local purveyors and farms, with many ingredients coming from the restaurant’s own dedicated 3-acre vegetable and herb garden located at nearby Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. Highlights on the daily changing menu include crudos and tartare, house-made pastas, just picked salads, roasted and grilled meats and seafood. The dining room has been completely remodeled into a contemporary and welcoming space with an open kitchen, new banquettes, hardwood floors, hand-forged iron finishes. The bar has also been renovated to create a lively environment with new finishes such as a Carrera marble bar-top. Offerings of local wine flights and an extensive list of wine-by-the-glass are a major focus at Chalkboard, as well the cocktail menu inspired by fresh ingredients from the Chalk Hill garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Chalkboard - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
235 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (185)great for outdoor dining (132)special occasion (93)notable wine list (82)neighborhood gem (77)good for groups (73)romantic (65)hot spot (37)great for lunch (32)vibrant bar scene (27)great for brunch (10)kid-friendly (8)late-night find (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- PERFECTION.TabsDined on 7/6/2013This was one of the best meals I have ever had. My husband and I came up here for the weekend to celebrate and could not have walked away any happier. I have recommended this to many friends and family and will always come back to this restaurant every time we are in town. I absolutely loved everything I got from food to wine to service. And the ambiance/decor was just adorable. I can not say enough nice things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eating on my ownKevinOVIPDined on 7/3/2013I hate eating on my own but I wanted to try Chalkboard and I'm happy I did! Food was great and Tatiana could not have been better. The rest of the staff were very accommodating as well. The hostess took me to my table (which wasn't by the kitchen) as soon as I arrived (it was busy!). I suggested the bar as I didn't want to take up a table and she said that she already had a table for me! Highly recommend! Can't wait to bring my friends (yes, I do have some :))Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/2/2013Great food and friendly staff who are excited about the menu. Very loud and energetic so not the place for a quiet romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative healthy diningDianeVIPDined on 7/1/2013This new restaurant is wonderful -- smaller servings that are beautifully presented, and taste delicious. This is sort of like a Tapas and tasting cafe. They offer wine flights along with a regular wine menu and a full service bar. They use farm fresh fruits and vegetables prepared in very creative ways, using varied ingredients for accents and sauces and spreads. The selections are numerous and the prices are very reasonable. The serving staff was gracious and pleasant and thoughtful in many details.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous new place in HealdsburgDon7VIPDined on 6/30/2013A group of 8 of us went to dinner at Chalkboard in Healdsburg and had a wonderful dining experience - Known for small plates, we all shared our orders and really enjoyed the whole experience - would definitely go back - they had our table ready right on time and were very friendly and carefully explained all dishes that we inquired about - there are a lot of good restaurants in Healdsburg, but we all agreed it would be one to go back to - I think the menu changes with the seasons and with the availability of local products - but they were all excellent -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just averageOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/29/2013Compared to many other Healdsburg restaurants that are longer established, seasonings weren't very exciting. No specific negative, only below the others that stood out.Special Features:
- Looking forward to going backJamesDined on 6/28/2013Most dishes are served where everyone shares. It is actually best just to order a few items, then order some more. Most everything was done very well, our favorite being the Pork Belly Biscuits, Roasted corn with chipolte (I don't see it on the online menu), and the Three Beef Sliders. Unlike some places in Healdsburg, I felt Chalkboard was fairly priced for the quality of food and I will definitely return and recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Star in HealdsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013Chalkboard has beautifully redecorated and redesigned its space in the center of Healdsburg's bustling restaurant district. It is comfortable and inviting, welcoming both casually and formally dressed patrons. Service is attentive and flawless. The "small plates" format is done well, with care paid to each presentation, and each plate is on the ample side of "small." The food is superb and the cuisine innovative. The focus is on locally procured foodstuffs, including very fresh vegetables from nearby Chalk Hill. The whole menu is affordably priced. This new "star" moves to near the head of our select list of the Top 10 Restaurants in Healdsburg, a list that already excludes, due to its size limit, a number of other fine choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ChalkboardOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/26/2013Small plates seems to be the trend in Healdsburg; Chalkboard's offerings are excellent! Each dish is fresh and vibrant with taste. The pork belly biscuits were just the right amount of pork juiciness, the pickled onions were a nice addition and the biscuits with the slight salted tops were wonderful. The "mac 'n cheese' pasta with duck confit was fabulous! Save room for the dessert! The chocolate peanut butter cookie is to die for! This was my second dinner at Chalkboard and I had the cookie dessert the first time. My second time I had a scoop of the vanilla with home made potato chips - honest, it was delicious! The wine list is comprehensive and offered excellent flights. I will return for another meal.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceHomerDined on 6/26/2013every dish we had was great. this is our second time there so we ha e tried a lot of the menu.Special Features:
- delightful surprisecorvanDined on 6/26/2013The concept of "small plates" is a nice departure from "ordinary" meals. The variety of dishes was outstanding and the combination of flavors was a constant surprise. We ate too much, but couldn't stop. The entire experience was an unexpected surprise. In so many ways it was better than the restaurant it replaced in the same location. Will definitely put it on our "must go" list.Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningAnniDined on 6/24/2013Group of us dined here and I arrived first. Loved the bar, has an inviting cocktail and wine list, has food service and the ambiance is light and friendly elegance. The dining room is casual elegant, and comfortable. We liked the open kitchen. Service and friendliness also notable and food choices interesting and delicious. Not surprised that locals also like to come here as one can enjoy a special or a casual evening. Very satisfied with our first visit.Special Features:
- Way too noisy, put up someWeirdroomDined on 6/22/2013Way too noisy, put up some drapes, something. Service was good maybe too much busyness. Food portions a little small even for small plates. Wine list is young and pricey. It would take a lot to go back.Special Features:
- Great food!LadyDiDined on 6/21/2013Was pleasantly surprised at the menu selection and the quality of the food! The beef tartare may have been the best I've ever had! Service is not quite up to par yet - but I suspect it will get there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in the seviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2013Had dinner at Chalkboard and found it was a big miss. Service was very clumbsy and didn't have a flow. I didn't pick up on any branding connection between the name Chalkboard and a theme. Boon in Guernville and their sister deli Big Bottom have more of a chalkboard feel than this restaurant. The view from the dining room into the pool area was horrible. The pool furniture was scattered around, the umbrella was laying on the a chair, there were orange construction cones used to prop open a service door and food crates stacked in the corner. This view does not lend itself to a fine dining experience in Healdsburg.
- Small plates, yay!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/16/2013I had to try Chalkboard out - a new small plates bar, in my hometown, and where Cyrus used to be. My boyfriend and I went for his birthday dinner and really enjoyed ourselves. They were out of the crab tater tots (sad face), and our waitress seemed just a tiny bit confused at times, but she was very sweet and I have a feeling that Chalkboard is just stretching its legs out and hopefully has a long life in that spot. I would love to go back and try some more dishes! The pork belly sliders were INCREDIBLE and I loved the beef sliders as well. The soft pretzels were overwhelmingly salty - I don't know that I would order those again. Thank you so much!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Many better places in HealdsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 6/16/2013This restaurant is trying to be special, but it is run of the mill in a town full of better places. The ambiance is that if a dining room in a Marriott in Walnut Creek. The food is perfectly fine with some stand out dishes like the pork belly sliders, but aren't we seriously over the small plate thing? On top of that, the noise in here is truly deafening.
- The restraunt was very tidyfamilyof5Dined on 6/16/2013The restraunt was very tidy and the workers were fast efficent and our meals were divine.The crab tater tots are a must and the mini sliders and pork belly buns were excellent. bouvet Bubbly was fantastic and the dessert chef ia a genious! YOU MUST TRY THE "CANDY BAR" for dessert....the carmel and choclate combination is AMAZING! Also the sorbets were perfect! coconut and the apricot was like biting into a fresh picked apricot A+++++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2013The food was amazing! The small plates were a perfect size to share and be able to sample several things. The beet salad is a must have and the duck duck mousse is incredible. The crab tater tots are just ok. If you are in Healdsburg, Chalk Board is a must. Service is great, very knowledgable staff. The tables are a little close together but it's understandable..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delighted and eager to return!RabbleFishDined on 6/14/2013Elegant, yet warm and homey interior; relievedly bright now with all of the windows exposed. Beautifully flavored & composed dishes, and blessedly well-executed pasta courses (somehow notoriously tricky to implement well in the U.S.). Each course delighted, as did the surprisingly reasonable prices. Our server kindly offered tastes of wines new to us before we selected. (Such a simple, inexpensive, and educational service a restaurant can provide, that educates and pleases customers, who end up a wine they actually like.) We are grateful for the care put into the tastes and atmosphere, and the consideration of our wallets -- they illustrate that mid-range prices are sufficient to provide top-level culinary offerings.Special Features:
- Small plates with Big FlavorsMemoDined on 6/13/2013This restaurant had big shoes to fill in the space formerly occupied by Cyrus. We were wowed with Chalkboard on our first visit and returned with friends who were equally impressed. It's now on our list of excellent Healdsburg restaurants. The small plates are small but the flavors are big and very tasty. Do try the crab tater tots, fresh pea soup shooter, either white or sweet pototo fries, or any crudo. Desserts could use a little work, the vanilla cake baked to order wasn't baked all the way through. The wine list is interesting and the flights are a great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner Ever!clagunaDined on 6/11/2013Stayed at the Les Mars Hotel and dined at their on-site restaurant, Chalk Board. Absolutely amazing food!!! Very fresh. local vendors and extremely creative presentation! Loved the small, shareable plates!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best addition to HealdsburgOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/11/2013Great variety for all tastes. Crab topped tater tops are our favorites. Well priced wine list with great variety.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a treatOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/11/2013We were looking for a special place to celebrate our anniversary and found the perfect spot. The food was superb.....imaginative, appealing, just the right amount to share the small plates and leave satisfied. The timing and order were perfect-and the service impeccable. This will be our go to place with friends in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/10/2013We sure miss Cyrus Chairs are hard to sit on it for mature People Service was great Some food items need mature improvements (Beef Tartar, Crab Tots Scallop portion should be three for the price Crudo of the day was delicious but to small for 10 Highly recommend the Beet Salad, Pretzels, Baby Carrots and Candy Bar HZSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/9/2013With five at the table we got to share and sample lots of dishes, and we were utterly wowed. Without any of the self important pomp of the previous restaurant in that space, we were served plate after plate of imaginative, perfectly prepared food. How do they make such complex, ambitious dishes seem so effortless and casual? The new look of the space is a refreshing change, and our waitress was a delight: efficient, charming, and funny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of tapas in Heladsburg nowOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/9/2013But Chalkboard has unusual dishes with great flavor, particularly in the sauces. Generous portions, creativity and good service! They were happy to decant our wine and discuss it with us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How Much FunOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/8/2013Great presentation, Excellent quality, meant for sharing so makes the meal very memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/8/2013Found this restaurant through Tasting Table. What a GREAT find. Good variety of small plates offered from appetizers through to main courses. Desserts were fantastic, too. The food was DELICIOUS. Fresh ingredients and layers of flavors in each dish. Can't wait for the opportunity to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect except for seating comfortRobertDined on 6/8/2013Only complaint is the dining chairs, (unless you are the fortunate patron on the banquet side of a table) are flat seated solid wood and not conducive to comfortable dining. If you are expecting a leisurely paced meal, as the menu is geared towards, you expect comfort to be a given.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/8/2013Great food and service. The only thing missing was more local wines on the by the glass menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome menuMicheleVIPDined on 6/2/2013Wonderful small plate options to share...and great wines to pair with food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a change from CyrusBertDined on 6/2/2013We now have another gem in Healdsburg. For those familiar with Cyrus, you will be surprised at the transformation. The service is still first class, but much more casual. The small plates were all excellent and generous sized. Easily shared by two. The menu features beautiful vegetables in abundance, along with an interesting selection of meats and seafood. We wanted to try everything on the menu. We will definitely return and also recommend it to our other foodie friends.Special Features:
- Every bite deliciousYumyumDined on 5/30/2013This is our second visit to Chalkboard in Healdsburg. Every bite of the many dishes we've shared has been really delicious and memorable. They've got it right!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new small plates restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 5/29/2013For a restaurant that just recently opened they really have it together. Really "fine dining" quality food in small plate concept. Bright fun energy. Interesting (good) wine list. The fava bean and artichoke salad, hamachi crudo and scallops over tiny risotto cakes are brilliant. And YUM! Happy and attentive servers.Special Features:
- Upscale Small PlatesLocalVIPDined on 5/29/2013Although I think the "small plates" idea is getting overdone, I must admit almost everything we had was delicious. There were 4 of us and so we shared a lot of plates. To die for "Scallops on Risotto", but there were only 2 of them so sharing was difficult. I might be tempted to have 3 plates of them for my dinner next time. Not so good, "sauteed shrimp", still in the shell and a little "off", tasted like iodine to me, but the waiter immediately took those off the bill even though the others had eaten their 1 shrimp each. Every other dish we had was good to great, the service was terrific, if you are looking for a smal plates place, definitely keep this on your list.Special Features:
- girls out to dinnerBeachwalkerDined on 5/28/2013The food was good the service was not. Our waiter was very nice but we had to ask twice for a beverage. The items we ordered were very good but the minute you took your last bite they came by and abruptly took your plate or glass. We are all local people who wanted to support our new restaurants but it is hard to refer people to this place due to the service. I am going to give them another month or so and try it again to see if they have worked out the bugs!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing culinary experience!MemoDined on 5/25/2013The local restaurant reviews of the newly-opened Chalkboard didn't convince me that this would be such an amazing dining experience. Our server explained the menu and specials and we proceeded to choose six dishes for the two of us. The plates are indeed small portions but the flavors are huge. The chef has combined ingredients that seem a little weird but worked perfectly for a flavor experience that is outstanding. The wine list is interesting and has a big selection of varied wines by the glass. Flights are also available as well as bottles. Service was efficient and friendly. We are fortunate to live close by and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New addition to H'burg dining scenenewtuxedoVIPDined on 5/23/2013Food is excellent. 3-4 so-called small plates are sufficient for dinner for 2. We started with the Dungeness Crab Tater Tots "snack" course. Then we had the Wild Nettles and Ricotta Gnudi, the Crispy Pork Belly with fried egg and grits, and the Three Beef Sliders served on homemade minibuns, with pickle, blue cheese, and short rib marmalade. My wife wanted dessert, so we ordered the "Donuts and Coffee". A semifreddo "donut" and three donut holes with chocolate glaze. We each had a wine flight - they have 10 different flights, plus a good wine list. Service was surprisingly good for a new restaurant. One of the chefs brought out each course and the waitress came by several times to ask how we liked the food and to chat. Great new place.Special Features:
- Friendly, good service, goodGregDined on 5/20/2013Friendly, good service, good food. We liked the wine flights. 1/2 pours of three wines for less than the price of 1 1/2 glasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.