29 North Street
Healdsburg, CA 95448Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chalkboardhealdsburg.com/
- Phone: 7074738030
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Californian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Shane McAnelly
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Wine Bar
A word from Chalkboard
Chalkboard restaurant, open May 2013 under Executive Chef Shane McAnelly, offers a modern small plates menu emphasizing seasonal and technique-driven fare. McAnelly sources much of his menu from local purveyors and farms, with many ingredients coming from the restaurant’s own dedicated 3-acre vegetable and herb garden located at nearby Chalk Hill Estate Vineyards. Highlights on the daily changing menu include crudos and tartare, house-made pastas, just picked salads, roasted and grilled meats and seafood. The dining room has been completely remodeled into a contemporary and welcoming space with an open kitchen, new banquettes, hardwood floors, hand-forged iron finishes. The bar has also been renovated to create a lively environment with new finishes such as a Carrera marble bar-top. Offerings of local wine flights and an extensive list of wine-by-the-glass are a major focus at Chalkboard, as well the cocktail menu inspired by fresh ingredients from the Chalk Hill garden.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerTapas / Small Plates
Chalkboard - Best Restaurants in Healdsburg ›
Chalkboard reviews from OpenTable diners
256 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)great for outdoor dining (150)notable wine list (97)neighborhood gem (95)good for groups (93)special occasion (92)romantic (77)hot spot (61)vibrant bar scene (36)great for lunch (35)late-night find (11)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- CHALKBOARD DOES IT AGAIN!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/27/2014This was our fifth time dining at Chalkboard, and it was great (as usual)! We really appreciate the small plates format as it allows us to explore the menu more extensively. Pastas are always innovative,vegetables are shown the proper respect due them and,oh dear god the desserts are the best in Healdsburg! Just wish they had a steak on the menu more often. See you soon Chalkboard!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super impressed!BuffasiannDined on 10/25/2014This is now my favorite restaurant in Healdsburg. We had an amazing dining experience. Ambience, service, and food were top notch. Started off with great cocktails - they made one of the best Vespers I've ever had. Then came the food and we loved every dish...the vegetable tangible, Dungeness crab tator tots, pasta, and blue cheese burger sliders. The timing of the courses was spot on too. Our server offered great suggestions on the wine and the pairing was excellent. Finally, we finished with awesome desserts. Get the Makers Mark ice cream. We'll definitely be back. That patio in the back would be amazing on a warm night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect endingkikosrunerVIPDined on 10/25/2014After 3 days and nights in Sonoma we had our last dinner before heading back to Miami at Chalkboard. It was wonderful. We enjoyed the tapas style dishes, the ability to share multiple plates, and the wonderful service we received from our waitress. The food was innovative, and delightful.Special Features:
- ChalkboardOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014Exceptional food made from local ingredients. Something a little off in terms of staff. A bit too much on the production side and not the dining experience side. Never assume people don't know something about food or wine. Always take heed to peoples choicesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/25/2014After running the Healdsburg Half Marathon, we rewarded ourselves with an amazing dinner at Chalkboard. The small plate format really enables you to savor a wide variety of dishes. Each item is exquisite and unlike anything we've had before. My husband's favorite was the hamachi and I had a hard time choosing between the pappardelle and the calamari. To die for, all of it. We also went big with dessert (Butterscotch pudding and The Candy Bar) and were not disappointed. Service is divine as well. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing place!RonJVIPDined on 10/25/2014The food was great and I love the venue. Great energy. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Memorable mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/24/2014Every dish was perfect - the vegetable terrine, the incredible sliders, the candy bar dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant SurprisesxraytedDined on 10/23/2014Chalkboard is one of those establishments that you enter with hI've expectations that were not disappointed. The food was delicious, wonderfully presented and we'll portioned. The rye pasta was incredible and the crab tater tots devilish. Our service was excellent throughout and enthusiastic to say the least. We hado a few wine flights which were delicious and interesting. Overall excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExperiencedeaterExperiencedeaterDined on 10/23/2014Wonderful food with a flare for the unexpected. Very creative plates made for difficult choices but each did not disappoint. If we could stay longer a return would certainly happen. The service was quite exceptional and entertaining.Special Features:
- Chalkboard was crowdedArthurJacobVIPDined on 10/22/2014If you enjoy small plates this dining spot may be just for you. We found the service a bit harried, atmosphere boisterous and a tad impersonal. Food was a mix, fries good, salad overdressed, pappardelle good, ricotta gnocchi, meh.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/21/2014Loved, loved, loved our dining experience! Differently will go back!!Special Features:
- FirstdatebluesDined on 10/19/2014Lovely place yummy food great waitress! Would go back and take friends. Definatley high end just a little pricy for tapas but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingLy modest despite hi repHungryBoyDined on 10/19/2014This is a small plates specialist, with an interesting variety of selections, ableit a small list. They brag about fresh herbs and veggies, and everything we sampled had good responses by our group of six. While few of the standard descriptors fit Chalkboard's feel, it is a winner, and I would return. Cost was reasonable, even for a town growing its list of hot restaurants. Chalkboard is unpretentious, a bit of the industrial modern feel, with reasonable noise levels. Good for families or adult groups. Service was responsive and cordial.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CHALKBOARDOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/19/2014We had a wine tasting that one in our group, (of 6), provided at 10:00 am, so lunch at 12:30 pm was a natural. We ordered practically every small plate on the menu and devoured every last bit of all of them....they were delicious...and the wait staff was knowledgeable and efficient. We will definitely go back and refer our friends...a great, fun lunch on their patio !!! (The beef tartare was amazing.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/17/2014Our server was great and the food overall, was delicious. We all shared about 9 small plates and only one was not to some of our liking.Special Features:
- Highs and LowsGoldenFoodieVIPDined on 10/10/2014Highs_ Service in the dining room, pork belly starter and the cheese course Lows_Service in the bar, wilted arugula.
- Very AttentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/10/2014Went here with my wife for our anniversary. They were very responsive and gave us exquisite service. Perfect little romantic spot.Special Features:
- WowPrchalDined on 10/10/2014This place could be in NYC and still be at the top of the heap! From the time we walk through the door until we left, we were in heaven. 5 star ambiance everywhere. We ate on the patio, tables were spaced for privacy. Outdoor heaters and fire tables warmed our evening dinner nicely. The menu, we wanted it all but what we chose ensured we would return for the other. Absolutely a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- We went for our anniversary.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Fantastic dinner. Interesting menu and everything was very, very good. Service was perfectly balanced with attentiveness and friendliness. Outdoor patio was beautiful and had heaters for the slight chill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/6/2014The food was good but the staff was totally lacking in any warmth or connection. On an empty Monday night we were sat in a corner with two other couples and didn't even know there was outdoor dining on a warm evening. The host and manager seemed bored, talking with friends at the bar and not paying any attention to the 10 guests eating. We left to have dessert and a drink somewhere else (Charlie Palmer's) and were greeted with a lively scene and welcoming staff. Should have been there for dinner too.
- Another great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014We had out of town guests and we all just loved Chalkboard. Dining outside is so nice there.....quiet and the service was excellent! Food was delicious as always. Our guests were impressed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/5/2014this chef is absolutely fantastic..food is just as delicious as the day they opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Spot for Lunch!LexiBDined on 10/5/2014Came here for a quick lunch, food was great, came out quickly and the patio was peaceful and comfortable. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Poor ServiceSoSonomaCountyDined on 10/4/2014This is the second time that my wife and I have dined at Chalkboard. The first time was amazing in all ways. So we we're really looking forward to our dinner there for the second time. As we experienced the first time we dined here, the food was fantastic. The scallops and quail were amazing. Order them! The problem we had the second time, and it was annoying, was how we were served. After ordering, we had two dishes served to us before we received our wine flights. And the 3rd dish showed up awkwardly delayed. While this may sound like no big deal you have to realize that this is Healdsburg. There are an incredible amount of 4 to 5 star restaurants all within a 1/4 mile of each other. We'll be back one more time for the food.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/4/2014Always friendly with great food and service. Nice wine selection by the glass with options for standard tastings or make your own. Very comfortable neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BaileyMDined on 10/4/2014Food was inventive, unique and delicious. Would recommend to friends and will return.Special Features:
- Server out to lunch??EEEEVIPDined on 10/1/2014Had another wonderful food and vino experience at Chalkboard but our server, Andre, was either pre-occupied with a complicated mortgage loan issue, or, was simply in a "fowl" mood as the result of dining on raw chicken!?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good!BentManDined on 9/30/2014Weat outside, enjoyed several small plates and wine. The service and water feature added to our experienece.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plate heaven.Luv2dinewellDined on 9/30/2014This was my second time with local lady friends.The first in the middle of Sept. was excellent.Salads fresh, scallops nice and warm.Crab taters crisp.The second,again with local women,cocktails ordered,but not many of the liquor items available? Andre, our waiter, was pleasant, patient, and didn't rush us, and had a great smile and sense of humor! So important in a service business. Food was good, but not quite as exceptional, slider buns over cooked, sea scallops weren't warm enough! Looked for cucumbers in that salad! Am looking to make reservations for myself and another local woman for lunch. The third time in any Healdsburg restaurant is my score card for return visits. So I am hoping for a more, all around pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best of the Best!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/28/2014My all time favorite restaurant! Best food ever. So inventive and it works. Pork belly biscuits are to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect pictureJudyVIPDined on 9/27/2014The perfect weekend picture is me on the patio enjoying lunch at Chalkboard. While the specialty drinks vary, I always come back to the King's Ransom. It has changed my mind about bourbons…. Pork belly biscuits? What's that about? Well, thick slabs, better than bacon, sandwiched between lovely biscuits. Gazpacho with fresh, garden produce, pastas, freshest vegetables and salads. Day boat scallops, shrimp, sliders. And to top it off? For me it's a choice between Makers' Mark ice cream or the Doughnut Duo. Sometimes the ice cream wins, and sometimes it's the doughnuts...Special Features:
- NytomkeVIPDined on 9/27/2014good service and consistent food quality. the grilled octopus and the sliders were two of the favorite choices. they were out of several items including one of the specials which was a surprise for a 1:00 lunch.Special Features:
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 9/26/2014Each small plate was filling and better than the next. Service was excellent. Will return to try more delicious food and wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our Anniversary Dinnerfoodietimes2Dined on 9/25/2014My wife and I wanted to try a new restaurant in Healdsburg and found Chalkboard on Open Table. The reviews were great and we had not tried small plate dining before. Our plates was fantastic, the staff was pleasant, helpful, and engaging. Every dish had its own dynamic flavor palate that was better than the last dish. We plan to come back with a small group of friends to share more dishes.Special Features:
- Out of food and lousy serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014So maybe it was a tough night...... But the server was hard to find, didn't seem to know a lot about the menu, and didn't care. The food we did get was ok, but nothing special. And they were out of both the ice cream and the donuts.!! REALLY..?? I wouldn't think of coming back.
- Good sm plate choice in HealdsburgNickDined on 9/21/2014Good food, good service, tasty small plates. We sat in the outside courtyard which was very attractive. Reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a dining event!lavagrrlDined on 9/19/2014Small plates- all delicious and inventive. Fun to shareSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELICIOUSOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/15/2014Thank you for a memorable meal, Chalkboard. Every thing we ate was absolutely delicious. Service was attentive, friendly, and informed. My father, a man who is unimpressed by everything, said it was one of the best meals he has had in his 67 years. That is no easy feat, Chalkboard! Thank you for making us all feel so welcomed, and for filling our bellies with goodness. Not to be missed: gazpacho with crab, beets, pork biscuits, arugula salad (those pears!), corn. The wine list was overflowing with enticing options, and the cocktails were fantastic as well. I so look forward to eating there again next time I'm in Healdsburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NorthbayDined on 9/15/2014Good food and drink, service started slowing down when it got busy, could have used more servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/13/2014Great food with beautiful presentation. The menu is unique and eclectic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.