Grey Horse Tavern
291 Bayport Ave
Bayport, NY 11705Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Grey Horse Tavern
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.greyhorsetavern.com/
- Phone: 6314721868
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Friday - Saturday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Catering: Catering options are available. Please contact the restaurant directly.
- Private Party Contact: Irene Dougal 6314721868
A word from Grey Horse Tavern
Everything we prepare is made from scratch, using the best local, seasonal & sustainable ingredients. Grey Horse Tavern is proud to support small farms, local producers, artists and musicians.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Grey Horse Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (33)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (18)good for groups (14)great for lunch (12)vibrant bar scene (11)romantic (11)great for brunch (9)hot spot (8)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)great for outdoor dining (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Outstanding!ErinJHuntDined on 4/19/2014The food was outstanding; our party of 11 loved every appetizer, main dish, and drink selection. Everything was fresh and clearly made with love. The selection was unique and varied, although comfort foods like "hot oniony cheese dip" and their classic burgers offer something for even the pickiest of diners. The decor is beautiful and comforting. Later in the evening, the bar scene is vibrant and full of the best local musicians around. Above all, the people are friendly and kind, staff and patrons alike! Bravo, GHT!Special Features:
- EclecticFoodisGoodDined on 4/18/2014Creative menu! Tasty, healthy, and local. The cocktail choices do not disappoint. Fun, fun, fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off the beaten path...DenieDined on 4/16/2014This adorable Victorian home is very charming. The menu was very limited but it was fresh and delicious. It seems to be a neighborhood spot, quiet and family operated. Overall it was nice. I would hope they would broaden their menu. I'd eat there again.Special Features:
- UniqueCliffDined on 4/12/2014The menu is not ordinary....its a place you will go to try new things...different things. Even the drink menu is unique...I have never heard of a Bourbon Margarita until today...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful first time experienceSapara26Dined on 4/5/2014This was my first time dining at the Grey Horse and I was not disappointed. Food and Service was excellent. My only issue was that the dining room was uncomfortably warm but other than that everything was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemMidgieVIPDined on 3/23/2014Highly recommend. I had the best linguine and clam sauce ever! Service was great. Reservations a must - extremely casual attire. No airs about this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband and I enjoyed ourYummyDined on 3/15/2014My husband and I enjoyed our visit to The Grey Horse Tavern . The food was great so was the drink and our server Jake was friendly and knowledgable of the menu. We will definitely be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and live musicAndreaDined on 3/7/2014The food was excellent. The little neck clam appetizer had our out of town guests mouths watering. Great beer selection, great entree choices. We then went to the bar area where we could chat and listen to some great live music. I would recommend it to anyone living in the area or if you want the charm of your favorite local spot.Special Features:
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2014Great place, when I went for brunch food was good and live music was playing. Although I didn't get a Bloody Mary I hear they're good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- distinctive menu with nice specialsDonnCDined on 2/28/2014distinctive menu but also a few neat specials each night. nice bar, sometimes live music, and a variety of spaces adjacent to the bar good for a group or a couple... and then dessert !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/19/2014I always come here when I travel to Long Island on business. Great food, Great Staff, Great BeerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChristineDined on 2/14/2014Too much too write but the biggest disappointment was the food! Did they change chefs?
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014We dined on a Tuesday night with 3 energetic kids. The staff put us in the corner of the room away from tables for 2. It was perfect! We felt relaxed and the servers were friendly and sweet. The food was fantastic and we ate every last bite. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Food was great excellent serviceDld0421Dined on 2/7/2014We will definitely go back had the scallop special with Beet risotto one of the best I ever had wine was very affordable also enjoyed the clementine drink all in all a great night thus was our first time can't wait to go back. Already recommended to a few frendsSpecial Features:
- First time at The Grey Horse TavernCynthiaDined on 1/18/2014My husband and I heard about this place from a co-worker of his. We heard there was going to be a cover band playing, Easy Chief, and decided to take a ride to go hear them. Also I read the food reviews prior to going and I decided we should try it out. I had the cesear salad as an appetizer and the mac & cheese with mushrooms as my entree'. Both the salad and the mac & cheese were very good. My husband had the sweet potato and chick pea veggie burger, which was very tasty. After dinner, we tried to enter the bar area where the band was playing and it was jam packed so we had to stand on the porch. The band sounded good but I wish I could've gotten closer to see them play. It was an overall good experience for a last minute date.Special Features:
- Had been recommended by twoDisappointedDined on 1/18/2014Had been recommended by two people in te same week. However, having an extensive background in food service industry found food to be very disappointing. Also, asked to leave so they could turn table over. Would not go back or recommend to anyone we know. Maybe a nice place to go for just a drink and listen to live bluesy type music.Special Features:
- Great spot!Mastk89Dined on 1/17/2014This place is the best! They have awesome burgers and the service is friendly and quick. Have to love that it is also just a short walk down the street. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite place. Fresh localOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013My favorite place. Fresh local well prepared food. Always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thanks for Nothing2fordinnerDined on 12/24/20138 people who did not have reservations were in front of us in the lobby. On 3 occasions I tried to get the sour faced hostess' attention to tell her that we had reservations and was completely ignored. After she sat everybody else, I explained to her that we had reservations. She basically called me a liar, asking me to prove it, which I did. The restaurant had no record of it, hence the title- Thanks for Nothing! It wasn't just Christmas Eve, it was my girlfriend's birthday. We were sat in a hallway by ourselves and ignored. They forgot our coffee and tea and tried to give it to us 10 minutes after we finished her birthday cake! Over all the experience was sub-par. She shouldn't be greeting people! She has zero people skills!
- Wonderful!DakotasunVIPDined on 12/22/2013We had a family Christmas dinner for 10 it was wonderful! So much we plan to do it there every year! No rush ,fantastic food and service! This is our fourth visit and we have loved it each and every time.Special Features:
- Grey Horse TavernDeniseDined on 12/21/2013We wanted to bring an out-of-town visitor to a local restaurant - not a chain restaurant. The Grey Horse Tavern is gorgeous, quaint, and was decorated for Christmas, so we enjoyed that. The menu isn't your average fare, so picky eaters might have a problem. All their food is local grown and farm fresh, so it's healthy and good quality, but again, if you're looking for regular American food, don't expect it here. My advice is to look at their menu online. We've been there for the live music also, which is always fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs to improveTJH92VIPDined on 12/20/2013although we like the Grey Horse and have dined here on many occasions, two thing have us hesitating each time we set to return. One, the service is always slow. In fact, this last visit we were all set to order desert when after 15 minutes waiting for our waiter to return, we decided to hunt down someone for the check and call it a night. The second reason for hesitation is the sparse menu. Maybe it is our family, but we have never been able to choose an appetizer that we liked. The sandhwiches and entrees remain basically the same with a small change here and there. Once they had a fantastic flatiron steak sandwhich as a special but it never made it onto the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice place to have dinnerPilotWayneDined on 12/18/2013Good selection on the menu, great food, very good service, and a nice atmosphere! 15 minutes from Long Island MacArthur Airport.Special Features:
- Neighborhood Hidden TreasureCrazy4my4VIPDined on 12/14/2013Never disappointed at Grey Horse Tavern. Charming place with great food, amazing drinks and awesome service.Special Features:
- Fun night with friends!NikkithefoodieDined on 12/12/2013Met up with a couple friends for a pre-Christmas celebration. Had an amazing dinner including fried pickles, baked brie, salmon, steak and the pear salad with chicken. Finished off with 2 incredible desserts! Drinks were also amazing. While I do not normally go for mixed drinks, GHT has such interesting and eclectic ideas that I had to try and I was not disappointed.Special Features:
- 4th time not so lucky4thtimenotsoluckyDined on 12/11/2013waitress spent alot of time talking to regulars . had to ask bus staff twice to get waitress back to table . burger not medium rare requested cheese request ignored . Owner / manager needs to remind staff of basic fundamentals of the business. Bus staff very attentive and helpful should have left them my tip. And on a cold winter night turn up the heat before you put a party of five on the porch nobody likes to be cold for the first ten minutes of a night out.
- Beautful winter night!:)OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/7/2013My girlfriend and I tried this place after it came highly recommended by our "foodie friend". We absolutely loved it. The food was wonderful and the place itself was cozy...perfect for a winter night. The staff was also very friendly and our waiter Jared had us laughing all night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visitwoosterbirdDined on 12/7/2013We had a great evening. We were seated in the "porch area" which was very quiet a much needed atmosphere for the two of us. The food was delish,, the "satur salad" was so fresh and interesting with shaved potatoes stands on top. The gnocchi special was very different & rich; salmon was terrific too. We shared a dessert. We'll be back for sure since we live right in Patchogue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance and Food! OneNoClass2112Dined on 12/6/2013Great Ambiance and Food! One of those tucked away great finds!Special Features:
- Ambiance, food and musicKellbellDined on 12/6/2013This restaurant is amazing! Good is top notch, ambiance is beautiful and the have talented local musicians playing all the time! Don't forget to check out their brunch menu! To die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Satisfied dinersSatisfieddinerDined on 12/6/2013We have been to Grey Horse several times but this was our first visit with my in-laws who appreciate fine dining and fun atmospheres. Grey Horse did not disappoint. We started with drinks in the bar area where the bartender was attentive and good at his trade. We moved to the dining room where we were given a nice corner table. The restaurant was nicely decorated for the holidays but not overdone. As always, the food was exceptional and Zoe, our server was excellent. When I asked for modifications to my order she was more than accommodating without trying to deter me as other places often do. Everyone's food came as ordered and the presentation was beautiful. The food was fresh and good tasting. My in laws loved it and plan to return.Special Features:
- Favorite birthday restaurantFamOfFourDined on 12/6/2013I look forward to birthday's and aniversary's because it's our go-to place for a down home gourmet meal. From starters to desserts, all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Night OutOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/29/2013My wife and I brought relatives from Australia to the GHT. Our server Zoe did a great job and the food was out of this world. We had a great night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Find!DGBabylonVIPDined on 11/23/2013Always looking for high quality unpretentious places to try and Grey Horse Tavern was a definite winner. Drive from Babylon Village well worth the time for a very enjoyable Saturday evening dinner with friends. An accomplished and innovative chef, coupled with fresh and local seasonal ingredients, and topped with friendly and prompt service. Will be back!Special Features:
- Great!DakotasunVIPDined on 11/15/2013This is the third time dining at this restaurant,and it just gets better each time!the food was terrific and it's so cozy. Service was wonderful Will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Just love Grey HorseFoodieMomDined on 11/10/2013Local, seasonal food made from scratch, extensive craft beer menu and delicious cocktails, a vibrant live music scene and cool people of all ages all in a cozy barn house chic atmosphere-love it! And the Tuesday night open mic always features a wide variety of great talent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GHT IS A-OK!NormDined on 11/10/2013The GHT is the best! Great Food, Music and People!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls DayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2013Three girlfriends and I arrived two hours before our reservation to enjoy the bar scene, have cocktails and catch up. The bartender was very unattentive and left our glasses empty most of the time we sat there. Shame on him for losing the tavern all that money we would've spent if he kept 'em coming! Not to mention his tip! But the ambience was great and the live music phenomenal. Upon sitting our hostess and waitress were top notch. Seemingly only the barkeep is lacking in this unique spot! I'll still return but maybe we'll hit another bar first! ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new menu was so unappealingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013The new menu was so unappealing that my party of 4 has a hard time finding something to order. The food actually failed to meet our very low expectations. None of us were happy with our dinner. Appetizers and drinks however were good in comparisonSpecial Features:
- Second time as good as the firstvlasDined on 10/18/2013I don't live near Grey Horse Tavern. My husband and I found it accidentally on a drive back from the east end of long island a few months ago. We loved the food, the ambiance and the service. We enjoyed it so much, that we drove 45 minutes the other night to eat there again. We enjoyed it just as much the second time as we did the first. Great food in a comfortable, casual setting. We will be back!Special Features: