Rockin Baja Lobster Old Town
3890 Twiggs St.
San Diego, CA 92101Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Rockin Baja Lobster Old Town
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.rockinbaja.com/
- Phone: 6192600305
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dialy: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Rockin Baja Lobster Old Town
Rockin' Baja is a full service and fun Mexican-Seafood restaurant that offers uniquely prepared Baja style seafood presented in rustic steel buckets. We created a diverse menu filled with exceptionally great, finger lickin’ good fun food delivered fresh to your table daily. Kick back, drink an ice cold beer or margarita, enjoy a shot of tequila and experience all the good times that are Rockin’ Baja.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Rockin Baja Lobster Old Town - Best Restaurants in Old Town ›
Rockin Baja Lobster Old Town reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (53)great for outdoor dining (49)kid-friendly (28)special occasion (26)neighborhood gem (19)hot spot (18)great for lunch (18)late-night find (11)vibrant bar scene (10)fit for foodies (9)romantic (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014The food was well seasoned and the portions were fit for a family style meal The waiter was helpful and friendly. The menu was explained and the complimentary chip and dip bar was a added bonus. The live music enhanced the experience. This will be my new location to Take friends and relatives who visit looking for good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday dinnerTrevor51Dined on 1/27/2014I have missed going to Rocking Baja for a number of years so this year for my birthday I chose to have dinner there. The buckets were as amazing as ever (I had the lobster and shrimp). As good as the grilled shrimp and lobster were- the mango salsa on the salsa bar was the best part of dinner. I could have taken a gallon of that home! The churros for dessert came out fresh and hot. Flora was our server and she was great! I will be back VERY soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedJaredRVIPDined on 1/26/2014The restaurant was located right in old San Diego however it was outdoor seating next to the freeway. So every car, truck or motorcycle that drove by could be heard. Total mood killer. The food was decent but there are so many other choices in old San Diego that you should try them first and if nothing else is available come here.
- Good, but not greatLK2014VIPDined on 1/26/2014It's been a few years since we've been to Rockin' Baja Lobster, and although it hasn't changed much, something in the food was just lacking - no zing! Nothing special. Quantities were plentiful, as always, and fresh, but just not a lot of flavor. Had to put salsa on everything just to get some flavor???? Over all good, but nothing special.
- fun time good food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2014The food is great but this particular night our server disappeared for like 15 min until one of us got up & asked for some help so we could order our food. They had live music so its loud & fun but not good if you want to have a conversation. Good party place. Buckets of meat are yum! $5 parkingSpecial Features:
- First time for usOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2014This was to celebrate my daughter's boyfriend's birthday. He and my daughter had been there before; my wife and I had not. We had a terrific experience. The waitress was very attentive. The food was great. I enjoyed the Carlos Santana tribute band. I guess the only negative was that our table was pretty crowded once our orders arrived. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have been to Rockin' Bajabward2000Dined on 1/11/2014We have been to Rockin' Baja about 4 times and I can honestly say that this place is one of the things we look forward to the most when we come to San Diego. The food is always great and we absolutely love the salsa bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeLajollaguyDined on 12/30/2013Great food. Best for Mexican in old town. I have tried them all. Great place to bring out of town visitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Baja style, hipper Old TownpozcubDined on 12/26/2013We were on vacation with our older teenager sons and found this place on Open Table. Our family loves Mexican food, but are always looking for something new and different. We found it here. Our sons are self-proclaimed foodies and they loved the lighter, fresher Baja-style menu. The salsa bar had a robust array of unique and interesting options. The seasoning for the seafood bucket was outstanding and seafood in it was plentiful. The other dishes we ordered and the sides were equally as tasty. Our server was knowledgeable and attentive. We'd definitely recommend this to other vacationers in the San Diego area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always ExcellentHappyDinerDined on 12/25/2013I have been eating here for quite a few years now and it's always the same, great. This is my go to place for Mexican food, seafood and special occasions. I have introduced several friends to this place and they were all thrilled with it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun place; good dealJ2014Dined on 12/24/2013We had booked a reservation for the regular dining room but our plane was a little late and the restaurant was closing early for Christmas Eve, so we switched to "Taco Tuesday" for a quick 30-minute dinner in the bar part of the restaurant. Quite good "street tacos" for $2 a piece, a friendly staff, and a good beer and a decent margarita....and a chips and salsa bar. Not fancy but good and everything you'd have reason to expect in this context. I'd definitely go back and try the main restaurant on another trip to San Diego. Good location as well--short walk to the stores and historic park in Old TownI would recommend this to a friend.
- Good TimesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Joined some friends for dinner. All had a great time and really enjoyed the food and received teriffic food and drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place For Food and FunSD2dineDined on 12/14/2013My wife and I love eating at Rockin' Baja Lobster in Old Town San Diego, so when it was time to start make arrangements for her birthday dinner there was no other choice but Rockin' Baja Lobster. Open Table made making a reservation easy. I've used Open Table for other occasions in other cities and it is a great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mexican Seafood at its BestJedkydhoVIPDined on 12/3/2013The food was over the top excellent and tasteful. The service was attentive, happy and excellent but, please keep in mind we went on a Tuesday night so there was not many people there. I am looking forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lava RocksNickDined on 11/26/2013We were given a table for our party of 12, which was wonderful. But they keep the heaters up so high that it was a bit uncomfortable. My brother in law proposed and had the ring in deep fried ice cream and it was really romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't waste your time or money!PLhappyVIPDined on 11/16/2013Didn't have dinner here as planned because we could not get the waitresses attention after waiting for 25 minutes, so can not rate the food or drinks. The manager was kind enough to offer to move us to another section or comp. a round of drinks, but by then we just wanted out of this really loud no service place.
- Good Food - Great ServiceMajorDadUSMCDined on 11/15/2013For a chain establishment, the Rockin' Baja Lobster location in Old Town is by far my favorite location. On my recent trip, we received excellent service from Jackson and the other team of servers. The RBL offers an array of items for kids and adults and the ambiance is outstanding-including live music on Friday night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, OK foodScottyVIPDined on 11/9/2013Ate here for the first time at the weekend. Had one of the "buckets". Looks big, and the food is placed to make it look as though it's overflowing, but there is a brown wax-paper "hammock" inside that actually supports the food - in reality, the bucket is half- to three-quarter empty. Service was excellent; friendly & prompt. Live band was VERY loud, to the extent that you had to yell to have a conversation. We enjoyed the slightly quieter piped music that played when the band went on a break. Margaritas seemed low on alcohol, high on mix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had great service and thePaulDined on 11/1/2013Had great service and the seafood here is well priced..it is a good place for friends or a group..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rockin lunchlcabralDined on 10/31/2013The staff was very friendly and helpful. Food was very good. This is a must go to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a blastCeltic0088Dined on 10/12/2013The food was great, the service was wonderful and we had fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food So SotencentDined on 10/11/2013Baja Lobster use to be good not anymore the food was not good drinks ok service was good won't return!
- This was a great find. I wouldSunnyDined on 10/6/2013This was a great find. I would have never gone to this restaurant if not for Open Table. Everyone in my party enjoyed. The food was outstanding.Special Features:
- loved it!! wish there weredaffodilDined on 10/4/2013loved it!! wish there were rockin bahas in Illinois!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantHappyDinerDined on 9/30/2013I have been going to this restaurant for years. The quality has stayed the same over the years. It is my go to place for seafood. I bring people there for special occasions and out-of-town guests. I highly recommend this restaurant to people with a wide variety of taste. Their rice and beans are the best tasting Mexican rice and beans I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic LobtersThisIsMyTownVIPDined on 9/29/2013This restaurant knows how to prepare a Baja Lobster...! Don't waste your time or money on anything else. Go straight for the Lobsters. You won't regret it!Special Features:
- Love this place!volleyponyVIPDined on 9/27/2013Great food! We had the lobster feast and it was yummy! The drinks are always good and I really enjoyed the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mex restaurant in Old TownBOS2SANVIPDined on 9/27/2013Went for lunch with two other people. I ordered the lobster bites and the lobster corn soup which were great compliments. My husband had the burrito and my brother had the mixed fajitas which they enjoyed very much. The two guys had margarita's and I tried the sangria..nice and fruity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went at the wrong timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/1/2013I went to the restaurant on Labor Day Weekend which was the first mistake but we had friends in town that wanted to go to Old Town so we decided to go here. They were understaffed and we waited almost 40 minutes from the time we placed our order to get our food. The waitress was overworked but still had a great attitude. This was my 2nd time here and I like the food but it just seems like they are usually understaffed. They have really good margaritas though!Special Features:
- Good food, and FUN!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2013This place is located in Old Town, so on busy days parking is a major pain. Luckily they have only $5 valet parking, which is well worth it. The ambiance is F U N. It's like your on a beach in Mexico. We were seated outside. There was a Santana tribute band playing. We took our son and he was in love with the music. The food is very tasty. The drinks even better. Not cheap, but the portion sizes are generous. Would recommend, and visit again on another trip to Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best place for lobsterCla08Dined on 8/30/2013The restaurant only offers valet parking, being in Old Town n going on Friday night, I found parking 4.5 blocks away. The only reason I decided to go here was because I had been craving lobster n what better place for that... I was wrong. The size of my palm was bigger than the size of the lobster (including the shell). Please note that I did ask the waitress several questions about the lobsyer choices n this one by far would get me the bigger size one. The flavor was good however it was well overpriced for the type of restaurant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Loud and Raucous RestaurantJanetDined on 7/28/2013If you are looking for a quiet Mexican restaurant in Old Town San Diego, this is not the place. The food is good but not outstanding and the service is very slow.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2013The lobster was sooo delicious! Great service and cool ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost as good as it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2013I have been coming to this location for more than 15 years. The quality of the food was great as usual, that's why I keep coming back. The only thing that is no longer offered is the small caesar salad they used to offer when you purchased a bucket. I would think that if two people were going to spend $45-$50 for a bucket why not serve the 50 cent ceasar salad? Our server was very attentive for our party of 7. He complied with all of our requests in a timely manner. He was very polite. The only issue was with our bill. We didn't notice it at the time but we were overcharged for 2 soft drinks that we did not order. When the bill is $180 we didn't pay much attention to the $6 over charge until later that evening when we returned home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheaper and better elsewhereHDCBelDined on 7/14/2013If you want crab, lobster and shrimp, go to Joe's Crab Shack. Better quality and cheaper. Maybe the Downtown SD location is more vibrant, but Old Town is pretty dead and exceedingly touristic.Special Features:
- Never DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2013This was the first time we made reservations for Old Town Rockin' Baja Lobster. Our table was ready right on time. There was seven in our party and it was nice not having to wait for our table. The valet staff and the servers were very friendly. As usual the food was good quality with great flavors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Late Father's Day Dinner ...LenaDined on 6/17/2013Our two year old loved being near the waterfall. We enjoyed the drinks and the food. We will definitely be back to try Happy Hour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not quite like previous times....Princess1Dined on 6/16/2013Brought husband for Father's Day...food always great. However our waiter kept forgetting small items that were essential (water, tortillas and drinks). I know it was busy however you need to always attend to your clients or at least ackowledge them. No need to whistle to grab waiter attention. Will come back for the food hope staff is more attentive.Special Features:
- Excellent food, great ambiencepepeDined on 6/16/2013Excellent food, great ambience and oustanding service. I have always reccomended this restaurant to friends and familySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The buckets are awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013We had a reservation for Mother's Day and all the moms (and the dads!) enjoyed it. There were 15 of us and our server was very attentive and accommodating. We had to wait a while, but that was understandable since the place was so busy. Again, our server was great and when things were forgotten or overlooked, he fixed them immediately. The food was delicious as always and the special Mother's Day Bucket was well worth the price. It fed me, my husband and our toddler with food left over. The room we were in was quite hot and humid though. The fan wasn't cutting it. On normal, not so hot days, it would have been fine. I'm sure the people on the patio and in the back were loving the sun and the warmth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.