Barrel House American Bar
252 Cabot Street
Beverly, MA 01915Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Barrel House American Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.barrelhousebeverly.com/
- Phone: 9789984627x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French
- Executive Chef: Patrick Shea
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: For information on special events please visit our website at www.barrelhousebeverly.com
A word from Barrel House American Bar
Barrel House American Bar, located in historic Ellis Square, in the heart of downtown Beverly, is a neighborhood bistro specializing in American and French regional cuisine. Our Depression era building features a bustling dining room, with an authentic tin ceiling, reclaimed wood floor, period lighting, and tufted banquette, providing a warm and comfortable space for Sunday brunch or an evening out. Casual diners and larger parties may enjoy our spacious family table and the friendly shared experience it provides. Or if you prefer, cozy up to our beautiful cast pewter bar for a classic cocktail or craft beer. At Barrel House American Bar, we believe in serving an outstanding home-made product in a sustainable and responsible way, while helping the local economy by buying from local producers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Barrel House American Bar - Best Restaurants in Beverly ›
Barrel House American Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (23)neighborhood gem (22)vibrant bar scene (15)special occasion (14)notable wine list (13)hot spot (10)good for groups (8)romantic (8)late-night find (5)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Blizzard BirthdayAbbyDined on 2/15/2014My boyfriend and I dined at Barrel House for his birthday. The food was delicious...everything from silly pickles to stuffed quail and then a special rice krispie treat for dessert. The server also included a candle as a special addition to our dessert for his birthday. I didn't even have to ask! Some times it's the littlest things that make people smile. We were there this past Saturday at 5:00 when the town was expecting a blizzard. The restaurant was cozy! I am sure it can get packed on evening where the weather is not prohibiting travel. Either way I would go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DinnerSethDined on 2/14/2014They had some special items on the menu which was nice. I got lobster canneloni and the lady got the coco vain -- delicious!Special Features:
- Food & Service Did Not Disappoint!DanielleVIPDined on 2/14/2014Actually made a same day reservation for Valentine's Day. Comfortably cozy setting that lends itself well to an intimate Valentine's dinner or just a great night out with friends. Fabulous service afforded by warm and knowledgable staff. The filet was prepared perfectly and the port (suggested by our server) I had with dessert was amazing. A single long stem rose was given to all the women that night which I thought was a nice touch--speaks to the caliber of this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great whiskey, bourbon, scotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014Great whiskey, bourbon, scotch and beer list. Great food options that where both familiar but had a great uniqueness about them. Will def be backSpecial Features:
- Best food in New England.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Best food in New England. Everything is made with perfectly by chef Shea. Service is great and so is the atmosphere. A must trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank TaylorEmandJoelDined on 2/14/2014Great night and great service thanks to Taylor and the bar staff. Had an incredible meal and amazing drinks. Our favorite spot by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in a long timeBrodyDined on 2/14/2014The meal from start to finish was amazing. The waitress Taylor was exceptional and we can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good. We had a greatMaryDined on 2/6/2014Very good. We had a great time celebrating my niece's birthday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome dinner.JonWDined on 2/6/2014The food and service at the Barrel House are excellent. Everything was cooked perfectly and our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful as alwaysamandaamaeVIPDined on 1/31/2014Brie fondue with bacon lardons! cod fish special, steak frites, and meatloaf all fantastic! the almond cookies on the confectioners dessert plate are delicious I could eat a plate of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Beverly VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/31/2014Scrumptious apps (Almond Honey Brie Fondue and the organic beets salad), delicious entrees (Mustard Seed Encrusted Salmon and Skirt Steak) along with an excellent selection of martinis, wines and an outstanding beer list made for a wonderful first impression. The only thing lacking (in our opinion) was the lean selection of desserts. But no doubt, we'll be back! Tip, make a reservation so you won't be turned off by the crowded bar and long wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/28/2014Dinner was outstanding and Aileen, our server was excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all-aroundfffffdasfDined on 1/25/2014The drinks were fantastic, the bartenders were very quick and efficient and the presentation was great. We ordered the fondue to start and would be very tempted to get it on a return trip because it was just amazing. My croquey sandwich was very good and went well with the truffle fries while my wife enjoyed her steak and broccoli rabe with fries as well. The service was good overall and my only trouble was that there wasn't much standing room to get a drink at the bar. Other than that, we greatly enjoyed our experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Locally Sourced FoodTarinDined on 1/25/2014We went here for my birthday. The food was very good, a lot of it was locally sourced. The menu was inventive and different. We were able to order apps and then put our order in, nice to not be rushed. I thought they could have had a few more red wines by the glass. They had a great beer selection, including a lot of great New England brewers (Yay for Baxter's). The staff was very friendly and helpful. I was not thrilled that even though I made a reservation and we had to wait. I'm pretty pretty patient so it was fine, however, date night is rare, the sitter is on the clock and we are trying to make a movie. Subsequently we missed dessert. The ambiance was a little loud, they could use some sound dampeners on the ceiling.Special Features:
- Worth a drive and then some!LimespringDined on 1/25/2014This place shines...in every detail, in every ingredient chosen for each dish..it's a real local gem - and much like an upscale gastro-pub that you'd find in NYC or San Francisco..but - even better - it's right down the street. The servers are extremely friendly and knowledgable (much like No. 9 Park in Boston) - and - even better - unpretentious - it's just dinner folks, not a job interview. The food is thoughtful and fun, and not small - another great thing. Excellent wine, beer, and spirits list... Highly recommended for a date night, special occasion, or just out with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfectFancypantsDined on 1/24/2014The food was absolutely delicious and creative and our server was excellent, she knew the menu and was open and interactive; she gave the impression that she loves her job and truly an asset for the restaurant. I also liked the way the tables are set up; everyone is right next to each other. We made a reservation so our table was separate which is also nice. we will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new spot in BeverlyKathyVIPDined on 1/24/2014Terrific cocktails and thoughtful, comfort food define this place. Our table was very late in being ready for us but we entertained ourselves at the bar. Great vibe:)Special Features:
- Friday Night DinnerEllieppDined on 1/24/2014We frequent the Barrel House and love it. The cocktail list and food menu are unbelievable and you have an opportunity to try something you never would have before. The service is great and the bartenders are fun, energetic and knowledgeable. The place is always busy, so if you make a reservation plan on being there for a few hours. Overall its a fantastic place to go and you should try it.Special Features:
- Great placesarahdVIPDined on 1/23/2014My husband and I go to Barrel House often - probably 2-3 a month. We love it - the food is always great, the service is wonderful, and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Last time we visited, I was disappointed that the hostess sat us directly next to a table with 2 small, noisy children at it. We had made reservations and the other side of the restaurant was mostly empty - it didn't make much sense to me, but I didn't want to be asked to move and make the woman with the kids feel uncomfortable. The kids were so noisy (or maybe it was just that they were practically on top of us) that we left without the after dinner drink/dessert that we usually get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!MeeshDined on 1/18/2014This place is great! I love the drink menu, very unique. The food menu changes slightly every 6-8 weeks so there's anyways something new to try! Also have pig specials on Sundays. My only complaint is that the truffle fries didn't taste like truffle!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates, great specialsJeepgrrlDined on 1/17/2014The pace of the meal was un-rushed so that each course could be enjoyed. The cheese plate was locally sourced and excellent. Oysters- all from the Cape, fresh, and fantastic. We got one of our appetizers with fresh shaved black truffles - a real splurge, but something I find seldom offered. I got the shrimp and grits as my final dish - also outstanding. The coffee is roasted by the Atomic Cafe - also local and my favorite. This is the perfect place for cocktails and lots of small plates. Lots of interesting choices and usually several specials too tempting to pass up. The service is always good. Only downside, weekends are always busy, so make sure to make a reservation.Special Features:
- I have never had a bad meal hereFoodiewceliacDined on 1/16/2014I should also say I have never had anything but remarkable service. Waiters are friendly and know their stuff. I have been here half a dozen times, half before being diagnosed with celiac and half after. They are accommodating and friendly to my needs. The food is just the best, especially the specials. Fun drink menu that they will help you navigate. Same for the wine and beer. My new favorite restaurant on the North ShoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Barrel HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/10/2014Great drinks, great service, nice view and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To there and back againJanetDined on 1/9/2014Usually difficult to impress but was happy to see home cured meats,fabulous drinks, interesting options. They even went out of their way to help a gluten free member of our party! Going back again. Very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first brunch of 2014amandaamaeVIPDined on 1/5/2014I have dined at barrel house for dinner multiple times but enjoyed the first of many more brunches this past Sunday. it was super quiet around 1:30--my only complaints were the lack of light (it's brunch time) and the temperature--the heat finally kicked on as we were paying...we tried the eggs and bacon and eggs 'beneduck' which were both phenomenal! the Bellini was also delicious..a twist on the typical Italian version barrel house uses rum and lemon yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding in BeverlyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/28/2013It was our first time here and we plan on being back often. The food was great and the service couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding bar with good foodCsbgVIPDined on 12/28/2013The drinks at Barrel House are outstanding; it's clear that their bartenders tKe their work seriously. The food is very good, and the vegetarian menu is a great idea. However, there are many dishes that did not appeal (fois gras, marrow) or had to be modified to comply with the common palate (omit the pig ears from the leek bisque and it's both outstanding and appealing). Food is very well prepared and yummy,just not outstanding. Prices are reasonable. Dining room is small,so even with a reservation you may wait unless you want to sit at the 'farmers table,' a concept I dislike immensely. A nice addition to Beverly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, staff and ambience.tm2013Dined on 12/28/2013Saturday was my third visit to Barrel House and once again left very impressed and full. The staff is fantastic, they know not only the food menu but very knowledgeable of the drink menu as well. Any questions asked about the menu or drinks were answered on the spot, no running to the bartender of kitchen for answers. A+ well done!Special Features:
- The waitstaff were very knowledgeabOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/28/2013The waitstaff were very knowledgeable,courteous and nice timing. The bartender is proficient at mixing drinks. The food was very good as well! We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 North Shore RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/21/2013Without hesitation, I think this is one of the top 5 overall restaurants in the North Shore. Menu selection is lights out; drink selection matches it toe-to-toe, and to that point, they are one of a very few number of spots who are on the accepted vendor's list for Pappy Van Winkle bourbon whiskey, which is like the Screaming Eagle of the bourbon world in terms of cult following. $40.00 an ounce, but it's worth it if they have it (you'll have to ask for it separately, it's not on the menu, and they may soon run out, though I hear a rumor that they may get a batch of the 15yr old).Special Features:
- quiet Sunday nightamandaamaeVIPDined on 12/8/2013I've been multiple times but never on a Sunday night! it was great! quiet, not too busy and overall fantastic! I always order the whiskey smash (super refreshing..they go down too easy) silly pickles and almond honey Brie fondue! the grilled cheese with a cup of tomato soup and salad was comfort food at its finest! love barrel house!Special Features:
- Casual but great dining experienceMuffyDined on 12/7/2013Although it was the evening, my companion and I were interested only in sandwiches and wine by the glass. However, our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and the wine list and at request brought samples of wine to aid in decision-making. Our sandwiches were interesting combinations of ingredients, flavorful, good breads and generous portions. Also included a tasty salad on the side. Each of us brought half a sandwich home! We will definitely return and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthdays @ Barrel HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/4/2013We were seated quickly, then we enjoyed the great waitstaff. They were knowledgeable and engaging. The menu reminded me of the bistros in Paris. The oysters were shucked nicely with no messy shells and nice plump oysters. The drinks were very good. Once they found out that there were 2 birthdays @ our table of 5, the chef sent around a wonder Sherry to go with our Cheese board. It was a great pairing. The meals were delivered hot and everyone was satisfied how their meals were cooked. The plating was creative. I would recommend them for a special night out and would like to thank them again for extra effort all around in making the birthday and dinner experience memorable for all!Special Features:
- Great spot on Cabot StPiepleaseDined on 12/1/2013Give The Barrel House a try. Great menu, great bourbon list. Good beer selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Food God blessed us...JZB2Dined on 11/26/2013with Barrel House. I have eaten all over the world, and could name my fave resto's and dishes off the top of my head. Barrel House and Eggs-n-Bacon would be on the very short list. This is a restaurant that you'd find Anthony Bourdain happily eating at, top 10 Zagat's, whatever top list you want to put together. The fact that Barrel House is in Beverly is truly unreal. Bartender's like John, SJ and Matt make the cocktail experience just that- an experience. Chef's like Patrick Shea come up with flavorful dishes that make you salivate when you remember what you ate, a week later. He sources local and has a die hard following. BH is a gem, and I'd put my money on the fact that is is one of the best restaurants in all of Massachusetts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We ate at Barrel House onmrstibsVIPDined on 11/22/2013We ate at Barrel House on Friday night. We started with the cheese plate which was good but pretty small for the price. Loved the pickles. Then the three of us had macaroni and cheese, a burger, and the grilled chicken sandwich. All were very good, especially the mac and cheese. For dessert we had the apple cobbler which was a little under done (the apples were hard) and the coffee was exceptional. The beer selection was very good and we were all happy with our choices. The server offered us samples of a couple to try which was great. We usually go to the pub at the Depot but this will be our new go to spot for Fridays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Find!LsantDined on 11/21/2013Thanks to Opentable, we found this gem! Outstanding server, knowledgeable, and eager to please. Cod was outstanding. Clean food with lots of interesting flavors. Pink Penelope is my new fav cocktail!Special Features:
- has it ups but also downsjaylVIPDined on 11/17/2013great selection of Bourbon,good beer selection, but my complaint is for a place that promotes Pig and Bourbon, they need a little help with the pork, everything on my plate was fantastic BUT the Pork was over cooked!! and my wife had a Pork sandwich (poor mimic of what Dinic's in Philly does) was just a soggy mess and the pork had a odd off putting taste, but the ups again the app of brie fondue was one of the best things we both have ever had! it was just fantastic! BUT again the Poutine was not great. service was great. the potental is there for sure, the just need a few tweeks in the kitchen.Special Features:
- Interesting MenuMooreArtSea1Dined on 11/15/2013We made reservations online which was fabulous. When we arrived our table was ready and I knew that being a Friday evening it would most likely be loud and crowded, and it was. The interior of the establishment is eclectic, and the menu was good because it wasn't your typical bar or pub menu. Good choices for everyone, bring a flashlight so you can read the extensive drink menu, it was a bit dark for me. Great beer and cocktail lists. Our food came quickly, and it was hot and really good. We ended up taking some home because we couldn't finish it in one setting. Be prepared for loud crowds on the weekend. Looks like a fun place to gather with friends.Special Features:
- good experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2013Had wonderful cocktails and enjoyed a bunch of apps. Reservations a must.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.