China Grill - New York
60 West 53rd Street
New York, NY 10019Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $50 and over
China Grill - New York
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
- Phone: 2123337788x1
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:45pm - 4:30pm Saturday 12:00pm-5:00pm
Dinner: Sunday: 3:00pm-10:00pm Monday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday: 5:00PM - 11:30PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Pan-Asian, Asian, International
- Executive Chef: Vidal Hernanadez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: 42" Plasma Screens at both bars
- Special Events: On-site Sales & Events manager, Elizabeth Katusa at 212 554 6507 or email@example.com
- Cross Street: 53rd Street between 5th and 6th Avenue
- Public Transit: E or V Train to 53rd Street& 5th Avenue B,E,D Trains to 7th Avenue N,R Train to 55th Street
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Now offering parking validation for discounted parking from 5pm-midnight at 1330 6th Ave—entrance located on 53rd directly across from China Grill.
A word from China Grill - New York
China Grill provides a globe-spanning culinary adventure in a spectacular setting. While Asian flavors and techniques are an influence, the menu is labeled as “world cuisine” with virtually every dish being prepared on either grills or in woks using ingredients gathered from pantries around the globe. Portions are generous, dramatically presented, and meant to be shared family style. Spectacular architectural settings, including an exhibition kitchen in the center of the restaurant are also part of the China Grill magic, creating a place to see and be seen.Continued
To check out what’s happening at your favorite hotspots, visit http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
To check out what’s happening at your favorite hotspots, visit http://www.chinagrillmgt.com/restaurants-and-bars/china-grill-ny
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
China Grill - New York - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
China Grill - New York reviews from OpenTable diners
214 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (89)fit for foodies (88)special occasion (75)great for lunch (67)great for outdoor dining (49)romantic (40)neighborhood gem (37)hot spot (37)vibrant bar scene (26)great for brunch (21)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (14)notable wine list (10)scenic view (5)Show More
- Fantastic birthday dinnerJenibleeDined on 5/30/2014We visited China Grill (& New York) for my birthday - it had been a few years since we ate there. Food was absolutely fantastic - lobster pancakes to die for, and beautiful shrimp with fettuccine!! Service was super at the start - with Tom Dolan, a true professional - but it was a bit patchy after he finished his shift! Great ambience at the front of the restaurant while we were placed at a very quiet spot at the back (is this normal treatment for non locals?)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- China Grill AmazingTorontonianDined on 5/24/2014My husband and I had an amazing dining experience at the China Grill in New York. We had a fabulous table, perfect service, enjoyed the tasting menu and people watched! The tasting menu portions were very generous and were a good variety of flavours and China Grill favourites. Thanks China Grill, we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, unique choices!CusefanDined on 5/24/2014Good service on top of food. Had plenty of time pre-theater. Steak and tuna were excellent. Would go back. Recommend.Special Features:
- Recent guest, before Broadway show.AlexDined on 5/24/2014Menu is misleading, they do not have items they specified on the menu. The cheapest wine is starting from $50 price tag, but do not expect they are better wine cost $9.99. Do not go there unless do not have any other place to go.
- The following 1866 reviews are from the China Grill - New York reviews archive.
- Hidden gem in midtownGreatEggspectationsDined on 5/18/2014We stopped for Sunday brunch before a matinee. Scrambled eggs with lobster were delicious. Great service, nice atmosphere. Very convenient to the theater district.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a groupLiz084Dined on 5/17/2014I have been to China Grill several times. Their calamari salad keeps me coming back. Great service, accommodating, friendly. Order a bunch of plates and share with friends/family.Special Features:
- Outstanding late lunchTomMDined on 5/14/2014The accolades for this restaurant are not hype. Innovative menu that includes things like Duck two ways and a special of tenderloin and pad thai. Excellently prepared and presented food. Our waiter was helpful without being intrusive. Great Experience.Special Features:
- Excellent Food, so-so waitressJust2posh9Dined on 5/13/2014It may have just been the luck of the draw (not in our favor) the last time we dined here. The waitress was not attentive at all, we actually had to have bus person find her because she left us hanging for so long. As always though the food was excellent, very flavorful. The drinks were alsoto die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayZgaoDined on 5/11/2014We went for my fiancé's birthday because it was where I asked her to be my girlfriend. It was a pleasant surprise and brings back fond memories. The food, derive, and vibe was great as always. I don't really see it that great for kids or old folks though; it's dark, chic, and loud, more for people in their 20s or 30s.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014It was Mother's Day and we wanted to go to an "UP" restaurant. We were not disappointed. When we are in the neighborhood again we will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- audreyaudreyDined on 5/7/2014the lobster mashed potato. crab cakes were both delicious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/3/2014a lot worse then what it was in the 80s. will never come back.Special Features:
- So accommodating and kid friendly!!ExclusivityVIPDined on 5/1/2014I love this place. We came here for a late lunch. They were so accommodating and when they saw that we had brought our three month old child with us, they sat us by the window up front and at a table meant for 6 guests so we had more space! I was able to breastfeed and change a dirty diaper during the meal. Even more convenient is the parking garage across the street so you can leave the stroller in the car. Food was the same as always but the calamari salad has gotten a lot better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sharing experienceDinerDined on 4/29/2014This restaurant is a nice find in midtown Manhattan. The food is fresh, well prepared and not your typical fare. The portions are small so for a group of 4 or more you will need at least 6 dishes. The restaurant also subsidizes half of the parking if you use the garage directly across the street. Nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findGenie86Dined on 4/28/2014We went to China Grill as a group of 8 and had the tasting menu which I would really recommend. Service was great and the food was delicious. Large portions so you will not leave hungry. Another great thing was that drinks such as wine, prosecco and a number of beers and cocktails were only $7 all night at the bar. Will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Wonderful findRachieCDined on 4/26/2014Such a wonderful dining experience, the taster menu & wine pairing is a must!Special Features:
- Great appetizerstunkiemoDined on 4/26/2014Went to China Grill for a special occasion and loved the appetizers. Would go back for appetizers alone. And if you want to be wowed by dessert, try the great wall dessert, enough for 4-6 people.Special Features:
- Food Good, Service RushedMia418Dined on 4/25/2014I took my mother day for early dinner b/c it has been always solid food. But, unfortunately, the service kept rushing us. The environment gets very bustling after work and later on, more bustlier. And being asked by servers in SUCCESSION, if we are finished when I still have my fork is beyond rude. It interrupts the conversation, we felt rushed and in an environment that is already bustling just adds to the negativeness. I was hoping to relax a bit, catch up and avoid the too late dinner and we felt rushed. My mom was feeling rushed. Servers should come by to see how the diners are doing, but they need to gauage the table.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014Went there whilst on a short break to NYC. Really enjoyed the meal and the evening, bubbly atmosphere, very tasty food, and good service. Prices no more than you would expect for this type of Restaurant. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nostalgia at it's bestnycdinerVIPDined on 4/22/2014we've come to this restaurant for the last 20 years. it's pretty much the same with some updated dishes. no one was disappointed. the portions are quite large so order accordingly. my favourite remains the calamari salad although the dumplings were also amazing.
- Delishugot2eathereDined on 4/20/2014The service was amazing. Food was delish. Will recommend it to friends and family. First was seated next to a big party with lots of children. Was a bit noisy but was relocated after we requested the change. Our water was top notch. My seared tuna was out of this world. Loved it!Special Features:
- Excellent chineseBrikintVIPDined on 4/17/2014China Grill is a great dining experience. We dined with 3 kids including one Gluten allergic and they were amazing with us. Food and service are outstanding. Don't miss it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 4/15/2014The food was just alright. It was also very noisy.
- The Food You NeedCrystal4TDined on 4/11/2014Salmon was awesome and the vegetable fried rice was out if this world. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- classy, great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014Went on a recomnendation. Fairly quiet but was early evening. Service impeccable and food absolutely delicious, particularly the beef with goats cheese mash. Be warned the desserts are huge but fantastic. Not cheap by any means but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/10/2014Delicious food, especially The Great Wall dessert - simply amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food, excitingHoustonDined on 4/6/2014Outstanding food, exciting menue, Service was fair to poor. Has to call some one to get waiter back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Chinese!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2014Dinner at China Grill was not your typical Chinese food that you might get at restaurants offering "take out" in addition to dining in. This was a Chinese culinary experience. We ordered the price fixed option for our table. Each plate of food that came out was better than the first one, and the first one was very good! Two days later, I still have vivid memories of the explosion of delicate tastes of the courses. I especially liked the lobster pancake. Wow, did that taste good! Everyone at the table raved about the food the next day. You cannot go wrong with the China Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent asian-fusion.MikeKVIPDined on 4/5/2014Great Asian Fusion food with incredible and friendly service. Portions were very ample and we ended up taking food home. Cocktails were NY pricey, and neither of us would go out of our way to order them again. I had a pear sangria, he some lavender flavored drink. Stink with the decent wine and sake list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb!!goodfoodDined on 4/4/2014This is our second trip to NYC and we fell in love with China Grill the first time we came so it will always be on our list when we come to the city!! Wonderful food and great service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- China Grill always worksNJHeatherDined on 3/31/2014I've been to CG now several times over the last few years and have not yet had a bad experience. The food is phenomenal and they have a decent wine selection as well. My dining companion and I got the prix fixe menu the last time we were there - March 31, 2014, at the suggestion of the server and it was fantastic. Good portion sizes and choices as well. It's a bit on the pricey side but well worth it in my opinion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingTh34d3v1l5Dined on 3/22/2014Went for a romantic date with my wife. The menu was small but we still couldn't decide what we wanted. We decided on the tasting menu (recommended). This proved to be a great idea. We got to have most everything we wanted to. There was so much food that we couldn't possibly finish. The waiter was extremely helpful and attentive. The bus staff was also extremely attentive. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting Brunch MenuCDS1975Dined on 3/22/2014There are some interesting brunch choices and the food was very good. It was not that busy but there service was a little slow and inattentive.Special Features:
- Overpriced and poor foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 3/21/2014We decided to go to China Grill before theater based on the reviews on Open Table. Not sure if they were referring to the same restaurant as we had a horrible experience. We shared the spare ribs and dumplings for an appetizer. 2 of the 5 small ribs were all fatty and inedible, and, the dumplings tasted like they were just defrosted. We told the waiter, but, he didn't seem to be fazed. We shared the shrimp for the main course. 4 shrimp with a little pasta for $27.50 is absurd! On the way out of the restaurant, we tried to tell the manager, but he and the other front desk person were on their cell phones, and it seemed like they could care less. No wonder the place was empty on a Friday night.
- Great ServiceMaryDined on 3/20/2014What a wonderful waiter we had and the food was awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- China Grill not as goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/19/2014Went to dine here for a client lunch recently. My experience this time around was not as good, and this was only my second time. The food portions were smaller and more oily than usual - the crispy spinach was extremely oily, we were disappointed. Our waiter did remove it from our bill. The dessert - we ordered the bananas in a box - was delicious as usual. Would think twice about coming to this restaurant again in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the tasting menuchowfest14Dined on 3/15/2014My friend & I got the tasting menu and it was great, but alot of food! We got to taste 3 different dishes EACH for apps, entrees & dessert. Yes, 3 apps, 3 entrees & 3 desserts for two people! Definitely good bang for our buck. Went on a Saturday eve and service was a little slow. The place was pretty tame for a Saturday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive BrunchupsidedownDined on 3/15/2014I came to China Grill for their "Dragon Brunch" for my birthday with 12 of my girlfriends. They offer a prix fixe menu with options such as pan seared spicy tuna, curry miso black cod and yuzu cream stuffed french toast. For an extra $10 they offer "free-flowing" bellinis, bloody marys or screwdrivers. All of my friends were impressed with their meals and the staff was extremely attentive toward all of our needs. At the end of the meal they came out with a dessert called "the great wall of china." Emerging from it were two massive sparklers. The expressions on all of my friends faces when they lit these things were priceless. Overall, I really felt that the staff went out of their way to make the day special and stress free for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food and the service wasErinDined on 3/14/2014The food and the service was excellent. Got a free desert for my birthday, very thoughtful. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New York TripBeefstakeDined on 3/14/2014The service, the food and the experience has always been excellent at the New York restaurant. The food is outstanding!Special Features: