1177 California Street
San Francisco, CA 94109Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.ossosteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 4157716776x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room
- Private Party Contact: Jim Wagner 4157716776x
A word from Osso Steakhouse
It's the new kid in town! Osso Steakhouse offers the steak lover a quintessential dining experience--Art Deco elegance, dry-aged steaks, premium cocktails in the latest restaurant on the San Francisco dining scene.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Osso Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Nob Hill ›
Osso Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
89 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)romantic (36)neighborhood gem (27)good for groups (24)fit for foodies (22)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- The BartenderOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2014Our second time here, we decided to stay at the bar, Daniel the bartender was superb, great drinks and great recommendations on food, we will be back to see him, thanks Daniel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedsuperdinoDined on 6/17/2014Superb service, and we'd recommend the bone-on filet mignon. Lovely view of Grace Cathedral is a bonusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you Chris Ruth Steak HouseLuLuVIPDined on 6/15/2014For NOT being able to accommodate increasing my reservation for 4 to 6 people. This led me to scramble at the very last minute to find another restaurant (preferably a steakhouse) on Father's Day. Luckily, I was able to book a table at Osso's and it was the best thing that could have happened! The ambiance and feel of the restaurant was very cool! The staff were engaging, professional and attentive. The food was A-mazing! I haven't had such a perfect steak in such a long time! Our dinner was enjoyed by all and we will definitely share our praise with friends and family and go back again soon!Special Features:
- Butter anyone?FinedinerDined on 6/7/2014If you like steak with your butter maybe this is the right place for you. The steaks were terrible, they soak the steaks in massive amounts of butter before searing them. You could see the melted butter layered like icing on the steak when it was served. The cuts were less than impressive. Longhorn and Outback do a better job.
- The following 151 reviews are from the Osso Steakhouse reviews archive.
- Less impressive than expectedSteakloverDined on 5/31/2014When going to "one of the 10 best steakhouses in the US" you expect nothing but excellence. Not so at the Osso. The steak was very good but not exceptional. The service was average but not exceptional. Something you would never expect from a restaurant of this class: The bottle of wine that I ordered was brought to the table 5 minutes after the main course was served. What a faux pas.
- Great Steaks and CrabPaulAZDined on 5/24/2014Really enjoyed the atmosphere. The steaks and crab were outstanding. The service was excellent. I look forward to going back the next time I am in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceMzTeeDined on 5/17/2014I recently started a couple of informal dining groups with friends. I found this restaurant on OpenTable. My friends and I had a great time. The food was good, the service was excellent, and the decor was gorgeous, especially if you're a fan of Art Deco which I am. The presentation of the food is very nice. We had an awesome waitstaff that attended to our every need. We liked the place so much that we stayed there for almost 5 hours --- practically shutting it down. I'd dine there again and gladly recommend it to friends.Special Features:
- Prom DinnerBeachbabe418Dined on 5/10/2014The food was amazing, but the service was terrible. They took so much time to bring our whole party their food & they never came back to check on us. It was confusing to know who our waiter was & who was extra help.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014bone in filet a must have cooked write-on with no needed extra salt or pepper, creamed spinach the perfect amount of cream, mushroom taste and cut perfect, mussels and crab flavors needs no extra butter extremely flavorful and quantities are enormous and fun presentation. its Bobo's in a better location and atmosphere. Loved it!Special Features:
- Very pleasantly surprisedOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 4/26/2014Who knew this place was here?? Menu has a similar feel and quality to Bobos and decor has an Art Deco old school feel that works somehow. Unpretentious. Would definitely go back, great find for a change of pace...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Food was amazing, service was less than what I expected for a 100 dollar dinner. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:
- Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/20/2014I had one off the best steaks of my life. Or waiter forgot one of our sides, but the meal was very pleasant otherwise. I will definitely return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSallyDined on 4/18/2014Great food, wonderful service, and delightful ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top 5 steakhouses in the citySamdanDined on 4/15/2014I loved this place! Perfectly sized portions, fresh oysters, the Italian pot stickers were a big hit, Perfectly cooked steak, and attentive staff makes osso a go to spot. The only negative, if you have to pick one, is there dessert menu. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- AnniversaryJannieDined on 4/12/2014Our kids sent us to San Francisco for our fortieth wedding anniversary and we wanted to celebrate with a special meal. Osso did not disappoint! We were fortunate that it was a two block walk from out hotel,booking on line was very easy,and everything about or evening was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous steaks; great servicegalockeDined on 4/12/2014I had never before been attracted to bone-in steaks, but Osso Steakhouse appears to specialize in them -- and now I'm hooked. The bone-in filet mignon was wonderfully tender and succulent, and the retention of the bone during grilling did seem to add an extra level of flavor. My wife's bone-in New York was excellent too. Highly recommended when visiting Nob Hill.Special Features:
- Delicious!EheldDined on 4/11/2014I had the bone-in petite filet and it was delicious! Loved the decor.! Service was excellent and the waiter was very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meat, service has to improveMarcVIPDined on 4/11/2014The meat can be conisdered as one of the best you'll find. I've tried every steakhouse around here and if you're not into wagyu but prefer good American beef, this is probably the best place you'll find. The wine list is good, even though it is kind of limited, you'll not find all of the big European wines on it. From starters to main courses, all of them tasted absolutely fabulous. The only thing the restaurant as to improve on is service. For a restaurant of this price level the service just doesn't keep up with the quality of food and french chateau wines. It were those little details that were missing, but if you're not into hospitality and European haute cuisine and service culture, you will might not even p recognize it. Enjoy itSpecial Features:
- My bone-in filet at Osso wasSTK123Dined on 4/10/2014My bone-in filet at Osso was incredible! The chorizo mac n'cheese, caesar salad and crispy potatoes were delicious as well. Osso is a very traditional steakhouse, which was refreshing in a city of foodies where 'traditional' restaurants are not valued as they should be. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Not GreatScottBDined on 4/9/2014I have been to my fair share of steak houses, some memorable and some not. Osso while good just comes off as average to me. The prices they charge for what they consider a top cut of meat falls short. Side dishes were good. Their lightly creamed spinach is just about the only thing I would consider memorable. Don't think I will be back again.Special Features:
- Our first visitjefferyDined on 4/5/2014A touch expensive, good food, for a steak house no French Fries, wine list kind of limited especially by the glass, no price breaks for people living in the building (250+), service is good, wine by the glass a touch expensive, really could utilize the bar area more with less expensive drinks and a nice bar menu. Should include parking if you spend over $100.Special Features:
- Great as usualhoagiemanDined on 4/2/2014Great place for business dinners. Menu keeps everyone more than satisfied. One of the better steak places in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was excellent. Look forwardYummyasusualDined on 3/29/2014Food was excellent. Look forward to returning the next time we are in townSpecial Features:
- Romantic Night OutHollister31Dined on 3/29/2014This is perfect for a special occasion or romantic night out. Very modern yet sleek decor. The black cushion chairs were awesome that made our table more private feeling. The wine list is great with good prices. The bone-in filet mignons were perfect. The best steak we have ever had! The Brussel sprouts and twice baked potato went well as sides. The pineapple rum cake topped off the evening. Will definitely go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was sub par for the prices.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/26/2014Food was sub par for the prices. Steaks bland, appetizers decent, salad small
- Steak!SloFoodieDined on 3/16/2014Amazing steak, great sides. Only down side is that the beer list is sad :(. They had a couple of bland domestics and maybe an import or two. There are so many beers out there right now that would go great with a steak of Osso's quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best steak in SF!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 3/7/2014The bone in filet is outstanding! The other steaks are OK, but the bone in is why you go here and why the reviews rave about the steak. Sure it is big, but IF there are leftovers, don't give it to the dog -- it makes an excellent lunch or dinner the next day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Occo goodTheHimDined on 3/4/2014The name says it all ... Tender juicy steak; variety of choices for side and appetizers. The setting is a traditional modern atmosphere atop Nob Hill. I must for steak and seafood enthusiasts. My second visit was just as fantastic as the first. Decor - food - choices can a carnivore ask for more? Occo has it all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I think the food is deliciouslewieVIPDined on 2/28/2014I think the food is delicious - better than other steakhouses in San Francisco - the service is also very good - hope business gets better, so they don't leaveSpecial Features:
- Good choice for a special occasion.DspartanDined on 2/22/2014Went there for wife's birthday. Got there at 7:30p.m. on a Saturday and the place, except for the bar, was empty. I thought I might have made a mistake. Fortunately, the place picked up and was pretty busy by 9 p.m. I got a bone in filet and it was awesome. We shared macaroni and cheese with chorizo and broccoli with bacon that were both fantastic. Even though I was full I even got dessert because everything was just so good. Service was excellent. My wife asks me about once a week, "when are we going back?"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Experience at OssoFood4FoodiesVIPDined on 2/19/2014We each begin with a light and refreshing, flavorful house salad..beautifully presented. I ordered a bone-in filet mignon, perfectly seared and charred, tender and juicy..cooked medium as requested. My partner had the bone-in New York, just as seared and charred and cooked to perfection. Both delicious. We chose two sides, a baked potato and creamed spinach to go with our tasty steaks. Our meal also comes with house baked half loaf of cheesy chorizo bread...served warm and satisfying. And dessert, we had the chocolate cappuccino mousse cup...most delectable! This is one of the scrumptious dinners we had for a long time. Service was top notch, classy, knowledgeable and friendly. Atmosphere is very modern, relaxing, sumptuous and spacious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pales by comparisonJhc3VIPDined on 2/17/2014The meal here was OK, but not by comparison with other upscale steakhouses. The prices were as high as the competition, but the portions smaller. Service, decor ... nothing special. The location is interesting, however, atop Nob Hill, but that does not justify eating at Osso.
- Major mistake for the pricepeterfDined on 2/16/2014Service was excellent. My guest ordered the bone-in New York, medium. I ordered the osso style porterhouse, medium-rare. Osso style means they cook the filet and new york parts of the porterhouse separately. Sadly the kitchen mixed up how they cooked the new yorks - my guest's was medium-rare, and mine was medium. My guest said he liked his and finished it. I decided to just finish mine, but in hindsight, I probably should have requested a new piece properly cooked. After informing the server, they gave us dessert on the house. We went to Osso's because I couldn't get a reservation in the places I really wanted to go, and thought I'd give Osso a try. After this experience, for the price I paid, no way will I go back.
- GREAT SERVICE AND EVEN TASTIER FOODOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014Went in on a saturday sat at the bar until our reservation was available. Great drinks had the Bloody Rum. Everyone is all smiles and make you feel very welcomed. The waiter suggested New york NEW YORK 32 oz steak and it was cooked to perfection. The sides are a lil on the small side but make up for it in flavor and with all that beef who needs sides. Lol... overall wonderful nite. A definite must stop next time im in the bay area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not well executed on the foodSeanVIPDined on 2/15/2014First off our server Gina was actually stellar. I hate to give a bad review on anything but this is a steak house that can cook steak. My wife ordered a well done filet. It showed up rare so she sent it back to be well done. It came back in 3 min still rare with charred edges. At that point we didn't want it at all. Service was great. Drinks were good. Fairly priced but seriously fire the chef who can't cook steak. I still tipped well because Gina was excellent and super upset about my wife's steak.Special Features:
- Bone in filet mignonEv3rthesameDined on 2/15/2014Yummy steak. We both got the bone-in filet mignon and it was quite yummy. Better than Ruth's Chris SF location. Side portions were small but delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awkward and slow serviceStephanieDined on 2/14/2014We went to eat here for the first time on Valentine's Day. The waiter, understandably busy, looked at us two separate times & said he'd be right with us but we still waited a while until he came to take our order. We would have preferred he apologized & asked us to wait than give us false expectations. When taking our order he didn't look up at us once. We ordered an appetizer to start off the meal, "italian potstickers." Having never heard of an Italian version of potstickers, we were curious to find that caviar was set down at our table. Puzzled, we each sampled one spoonful, upon which the waiter came & hastily took it away from us saying it was the wrong order. Bf's meat was cooked too rare. I asked for medium rare: got medium well.
- Valentine's DayValentineDined on 2/14/2014Better take on steakhouse staples like creamed spinach and twice-baked potatoes, with much more comfortable ans casual service. Ambience, unfortunately, is rather like a "chain" or suburban restaurant - which is just a fault of the location and decor, more than anything which the owners or staff have done. Enjoyed the bone-in New York steak, wine and warm lemon tart VERY MUCH, but don't know whether we would choose to go back, with so many other more interesting choices in the City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Done to PerfectionDateSpotDiningDined on 2/14/2014The steak this restaurant features is amazing. The price is completely appropriate for the quality of the food, the beauty of the establishment, and the elegance of the dining experience. My lady and I were seated in comfy leather seats, given amazing service, and we felt as if we were in our own bubble, a perfect romantic dining experience. The wine was amazing, and the wine list would impress the biggest connoisseur. Other parts of the restaurant were suited to other dining experiences, a much busier lounge and back room could accommodate groups or allow for conversation with other diners, while private booths offer a small group a perfect hide-away. For a beautiful view, check out the room to the right of the bar when you enter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff is good but a bitAvatarDined on 2/14/2014The staff is good but a bit stiff at times, no smiles, prompt to serve but it would help to see them smile and be more cordialSpecial Features: