Pier 5, The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coquetasf.com/
- Phone: 4157048866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily, 11:30AM – 3PM
Dinner: Sun-Wed, 5PM – 10PM; Thu-Sat, 5PM – 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Chiarello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring Coqueta to your next celebration. Chef Michael Chiarello"s team will bring you the flavors and conviviality of Spain right to your home or social gathering. For more information please contact General Manager, Michael Iglesias.
A word from Coqueta
Brought to you by Award Winning Chef Michael Chiarello and located at Pier 5 on the the bustling San Francisco Waterfront, Coqueta is inspired by the cuisines of Spain. Chef Chiarello feels that Spain"s signature ‘small plates’ coupled with the social vibrancy of their dining scene is the perfect combination for San Francisco, which has its own deep-rooted history with the country. Focusing on regional dishes from Madrid, Catalonia, the Basque Country and beyond, the menu will feature Chiarello's interpretation of traditional Spanish cuisine and, as has always been his tradition, will highlight the bounty of fresh, local ingredients from land and sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coqueta reviews from OpenTable diners
300 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (223)scenic view (140)hot spot (131)special occasion (115)great for lunch (110)vibrant bar scene (92)good for groups (73)romantic (67)notable wine list (60)neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (39)great for brunch (33)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Great View and Unique Drinksbbaker256Dined on 6/12/2014Coquesta is situated in a fantastic location along the Embarcadero in SF. The drinks are great, and the service is very professional.Special Features:
- Great findb8conDined on 6/12/2014Awesome food! Amazing service and the ambiance is gorgeous.Special Features:
- The food is good, but not awsomelacabezitaDined on 6/11/2014It is Spanish food with a twist, some things were good and others like the patatas bravas aren't, the cocktails are tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Spanish-inspired tapas!madeinargentinaDined on 6/10/2014We weren't terribly impressed with the pintxos, but the tapas more than made up for them. Our servers were great but a couple of close encounters with the others while en route to the bathroom made us think they need to be trained on the proper traffic etiquette when in close quarters: they made no attempt to avoid us!Special Features:
- a favoritefussyeaterDined on 6/10/2014The food is totally delicious with the paella being the best I have ever had. And I discovered a remarkable IPA, locally brewed and on tap. Going either at the beginning of a service period, or at the end, keeps the noise level quite bearable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BarSharonDined on 6/10/2014Our reservation was for the dining room, but the bar was so beautiful and unique we ate in the bar. I never saw the dining room, we got as far as the bar and fell in love with it. I usually don't like the "little" plate concept, but it actually worked here. Of all of the little plate restaurants, this one most resembles Spain. And a good Spanish Rose by the way. Wonderful calamari, grilled pork/duck meatballs, roasted pardon peppers - everything was very good.Special Features:
- Grab a Reservation When You CanOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 6/7/2014Great meal: wonderful food, knowledgeable and personable server. The environment is upbeat. Even with a reservation, we were sat at the counter, which was not ideal.Special Features:
- Amazing Tapas!OpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 6/7/2014We dined for lunch and the views were spectacular as well as all the food. The grilled octopus is the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/7/2014While the meatballs and pork shoulder loin were good, I can't say I'd be inclined to return given how many great options there are in San Francisco.Special Features:
- New chef de cuisine, better food!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/6/2014Just when we thought it couldn't get any better, Michael Chiarello/Coqueta brought on a new chef de cuisine and the food is even better! A few dishes have been tweaked for the better (such as the croquetas de pollo). My favorites always include the pulpo (octopus), the new croquetas, calamares de la plancha (grilled calamari), kale salad, and may super favorite amazing albondigas (duck and pork meatballs). We had a new waitress, Asja, she is amazing! My usual servers, Lowell and Kim, were there and came by to hello which made my visit extra special. Always great to see GM Tasha as well. Everyone is so friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Welcome back lunchFoodieVIPDined on 6/6/2014My son was returning from overseas and we planned a late lunch at Coqueta. As luck would have it, customs took longer than anticipated and we were over 30 min. late to our appointment. The server and staff were very welcoming and we proceeded to have a terrific lunch. Each selection was terrific...Sadly due to the late time we couldnt choose the paella (takes 30-40 lead time) but will certainly choose that next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great.Foodie2Dined on 6/5/2014Amazing food. Local foodies directed me here. They were correct.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 6/4/2014This is a great place. We recently had a very nice lunch - the mushrooms and asparagus were just divine! The indoor space is quite lovely but a bit noisy; the bar area was much more comfortable. The view was spectacular. The spanish wines and cheese were delicious. The waitstaff was not as attentive as we wished but the food made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/3/2014This was the first time for lunch and it was equally as good as the dinners we've had in the past. We started with the roasted polpo and potatoes, one of my favorites. Then roasted asparagus salad was outstanding and the branzino was grilled to perfection. A very memorable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing albondigasIronik1Dined on 6/1/2014Small tapas, generally delicious. Noisy, on the water but not much view of the bay. Service spotty. Busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- alan35Dined on 5/28/2014Great lunch. Only complaint: ditch the metal drinking glasses. Otherwise, the restaurant works! Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close to authentic tapasmadrilenaDined on 5/27/2014I've worked in Spain. I became a huge fan of Tapas there, and Coqueta comes very close to delivering the unique flavors that only "local ingredients" can. Compared to other SF tapas restaurants, this restaurant sources more, and superior, Iberian ingredients. The cost of bringing so many ingredients from Spain is reflected in the prices on the menu. Two people with a modest bottle of wine can reach $200. There may be some sticker shock at this price, but you have had a Tapas meal that equals anything you might have in Madrid or Barcelona.Special Features:
- fun and yummykatoVIPDined on 5/26/2014we really enjoyed the lunch at Croqueta recently. the food was great; loved the Paella and El Plat Cap. at $50 per person for lunch (w/Sangria) it was a bit much to repeat often however!Special Features:
- The following 427 reviews are from the Coqueta reviews archive.
- Tapas and much more!ParadiseFoundDined on 5/20/2014On a recent visit to San Francisco, had a really early dinner at Coqueta. (Only reservation available was 5:00 pm.) From the moment we arrived everyone was very welcoming. Cozy space, with white marble bar. Cool look with all the wood and leather. The food was excellent: chorizo and manchego cheese appetizers finished with sangria was the perfect start. Chicken coquetas were delicious, paella was fantastic, flan and cafe con leche was the perfect way to end the meal. Great spot. Would like to try it later to really get the vibe! A "must do" if you are in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/20/2014We had an outstanding lunch in a very pleasant atmosphere with excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaniceDined on 5/18/2014Celebrating a friend's birthday, we brought our own champagne, which our waiter took good care of. ($25 corkage well earned.) We shared a lot of dishes that everyone found delightful. Desserts were small to share but so delicious. A French Press of coffee topped off the meal, then a lovely walk along the waterfront. Perfect place for brunch or lunch with good friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flies everywhereOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 5/18/2014This place did not live up to the hype. Went for brunch on a Sunday, there were flies all over the restaraunt which is massively disgusting and everything we ordered was super oily and heavy on the fish flavor... wondering if 1) tapas are typically that oily and 2) if all of the seafood wasn't fresh because everything smelled. Staff was lovely and attentive. Great looking space but very loud
- Doesn't compare to BottegaPoachedEggsDined on 5/15/2014It's worth trying if you're a Chiarello fan, but it didn't have the same impact on me as Bottega did. We had the Paella, which was good, but I think next time I would focus on the small plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!Magician2166Dined on 5/11/2014We were very excited to get the reservation, since we were informed that this is one of the best restaurants in town and fifth in the country. However we felt completely opposite at the end of our tour. The waiter kept coming every 2 minutes and asking the same question: "How are the flavors?" In fact, the food was so greasy, that the only flavor we tasted is the enormous amount of butter and oil in all the dishes we tried. And we tried quite few of them. It was absolutely nothing special to our taste. Facilities are extremely tight with only a single restroom for each sex, which resulted in a long waiting line. The bottom line: If you want to try it, go ahead. Just make sure you drink a lots of Mylanta afterwords.
- Great TapasKETCALDined on 5/11/2014Great Tapas and Paella. The grilled octopus is exceptional as well as the patatas bravas and the sunnyside egg with shrimp. The meat and cheese platter had a great selection. We were seated within in minutes of our reservation and the service was very good. Don't forget the churros with dipping chocolate too! We will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Fun experience at CoquetaGrndmthrof4Dined on 5/10/2014Our party of three found the food to be interesting and excellent; some unfamiliar combinations proved to be quite delicious. Our servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Ambience was energetic and fun. Highly recommend Coqueta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly a gemMimiVIPDined on 5/9/2014From the moment we got there, we were treated warmly. Then, our waiter explained every plate , so we knew exactly what to expect. Everything was exquisite.. We would recommend it not only for the food but also for the atmosphere. Freshness of ingredients…Special Features:
- Merci MichaelOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Thank you for such a special time and for giving our niece, Manon, the sounds of home with the help of your gracious hostess. Coqueta and Bottega are two favorites for our family! All the best! The Lolivas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spain come to the EmbarcaderoOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/9/2014Fantastic Spanish flair with the right menu and drinks for a memorable eveningSpecial Features:
- Coqueta is great!ChriswDined on 5/9/2014I liked everything about Coqueta. There were two us and we ordered 4 tapas, 2 sides. And we could not resist having a jamon. We shared the manchego cheesecake dessert which was perfect in amount and incredible flavor! All of the food was excellent. My favorite tapa was the albondigas. But everything was soggiod that I would go back and try all new dishes! The service was also excellent. Everyone was friendly and professional. The restaurant space is nice and takes advantage of being on the waterfront. The bar is also cool.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hungry?DisappointedVIPDined on 5/8/2014The food was nothing special and the portion was extremely small. Ordered almost everything on the menu for 6 people and we were still hungry.Special Features:
- Amazing restaurant experienceLummiGirlDined on 5/6/2014Michael Chiarella has created a true gem of a restaurant - the ambiance is absolutely beautiful with tall wooden kitchen shelves stocked with Chorizo, spices, bread and wine. Waiters carry chunky wooden trays filled with extraordinary looking Pinxtos - these you cannot resist! We ordered the Classic Paella and it was one of the best we've ever had - exceptional saffron flavor. The table next to us was having a round of the most beautiful gin and tonics I'd ever seen - an excellent cocktail menu. All around WONDERFUL - we loved this place and will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Disappointing FoodglobaldinerDined on 5/6/2014If you like very overpriced mediocre food, then you'll love Coqueta. We did not. Over salted Patatas Verde, under cooked Shrimp Fritters (doughy in the middle), so-so Paella (true Paella has a crustier bottom and more ingredients in it), and one bite Tapas, well, I hope you have a very small mouth. Our cocktails were room temp. at best, and don't even think about asking for club soda in your drink,(they don't carry it!). Needless to say we were very disappointed in Michael C's new adventure. His one saving grace is an awesome wait staff. Especially Sarah. PLEASE Michael, stick to what you do so incredibly well, Italian!! We are great fans of yours, but Coqueta is a big two thumbs down from us. See you at Bottega!Special Features:
- Must visit!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/5/2014Incredible! A real gem! Tapas heaven! Balanced wine list and the best gin and tonic of my life. GO NOW!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingly complex flavors!Lucky13sfDined on 5/5/2014Wow, this place totally lives up to the hype! From the pintxos to whet the appetite, to the albondigas that startle your taste buds, the gaucho plate that warms the belly, and the exquisite wines to wash it all down with, the whole meal was a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastySammDined on 5/4/2014Love the food here--very posh restaurant with a great atmosphere and delightful snacks. I've been with a group of 10 and as a group of 2 and I highly recommend going with a larger group so you can sample a larger assortment of the menu! Kalimotxo is a must even if it feels a little wrong!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Brunch!fastlayneDined on 5/4/2014Having dined at Coqueta several times has always been a pleasure, so we decided to try brunch last Sunday. Again, we had the best service, delicious food, unique drinks and would highly recommend to anyone who is searching for a different type of brunch spot in San Francisco!Special Features:
- Not worth the wait...DinnerDateNightDined on 5/3/2014After 4 weeks of wait for our reservation (we could not get a saturday night booking less than 4 weeks in advance...) the day finally came. The ambiance is fun and upbeat, service was great and the manager used our names when talking to us which is pretty nice and rare these days. Food was very good, but not excellent - we had the duck and pork meatball which were the best dish (to me) of the entire dinner, octopus was perfectly cooked (texture wise) but did not taste as smokey as I hoped for and for our main dish, we chose the Paella which to me was very good, but again, not excellent - my fiance thought it was too salty but the seafood on it tasted great. Overall a fun place to eat and drink, but not worth a 4 week wait...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well worth finding a reservationMadeleinetpVIPDined on 5/3/2014Not easy to get in and once there you won't regret it. The food is truly outstanding.Special Features:
- Outstanding tapasBrunchladyDined on 5/2/2014Gorgeous views. Creative drinks. Delicious tapas. Best of menu: crispy shrimp on potato pancake, croquetas, grilled mushrooms. Book early for weekends. Reservations open 30 days in advance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.