Jo's American Bistro
24 Memorial Blvd West
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jo's American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://josamericanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4018475506x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday noon-3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Preble
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jo's American Bistro
A fresh take on American cuisine using the finest ingredients served in an upscale setting with a casual and friendly atmosphere. Our chef uses locally sourced seafood and produce whenever possible and serves meats which are free of hormones and antibiotics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Jo's American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Jo's American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (50)great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (33)romantic (32)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (7)great for lunch (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- OUTSTANDINGGafferDined on 11/14/2013BUILT, OWNED AND MANAGED BY A TRUE RESTAURANT PROFESSIONAL, JO'S AMERICAN BISTRO IS A MUST VISIT WHETHER YOURE A LOCAL OR VISITOR TO NEWPORT. WITH SO MANY FINE NEWPORT DINING OPTIONS AVAILABLE, JOS IS UNIQUE IN ITS MENU CHOICES, FOOD PREP, SERVICE AND AMBIENCE. THE FILET STEAK WAS "MELT IN YOUR MOUTH". CANNOT RECOMMEND JO's AMERICAN BISTRO ANY MORE HIGHLY. PS----GREAT BAR TOO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentBarrakenDined on 11/8/2013The short rib appetizer was a disappointment. They were neither tender nor tasty and were over salted. The big eye tuna was a disappointment. It was absolutely flavorless and only edible when slathered in the red sauce on the pasta.
- Great new restaurantcedinesoutDined on 10/5/2013I used to live in Newport, RI and was back visiting. My friends told me that a new restaurant had opened up and we decided to go try it out. I was impressed with the renovation that was done, very classy, nice flow and multiple seating areas. Everything we ordered was amazing. Wonderful flavors and very creative. I would go back in a heartbeat next time I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st-time visitnewporterDined on 10/1/2013A very attractive makeover ! Expanding into the former patio makes room for a lovely bar area, as well as allowing for a less compact dining space. Our party ordered from the prix fixe menu & were impressed with the choices, quality, & prompt service - an excellent value. I'm pleased that an old favorite is getting a fresh start. I'll be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great deal!OurAnnualWeekInNewportVIPDined on 9/30/2013We went on a Monday night, when they have their 3-course for $19.95 special. We were very surprised to get such a great meal for that price. You get a soup or salad (several of each to choose from), an entree (there were six of us - four got the sole, stuffed with a lobster and shrimp stuffing with a light blood orange sauce and the other two got the hanger steak, cooked to perfection). And it includes either a nice glass of wine or a choice of beers. No skimping on the portions and the wine and beer were of premium quality. Would absolutely go again and would highly recommend it to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, not amazing,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/30/2013Food was very good, not amazing, but quite good. Servings were moderate size. Service was excellent, and the decor is very very tasteful, a very nice ambiance. As long as you are not expecting foodie level food, you will be happy. Kid friendly too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful upscale bistro setting.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2013Wonderful upscale bistro setting. Our server was excellent , knowledgeable and attentive. I had a fabulous sole dish. Thin filets were artfully stacked on a vegetable medley with fingerling potatoes, all perfectly cooked. My husband had the duck special and loved it. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed lovely serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/20/2013We enjoyed lovely service and well prepared delicious food in a much improved setting from Puerini's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was our first time thereMarianneVIPDined on 9/14/2013This was our first time there and we look forward to going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday night at the Boat ShowBoatShowDinnerVIPDined on 9/13/2013Just thought I'd say I had the same Sancerre the following evening at a restaurant on the water, and paid 30% more there. It tasted FAR better at Jo's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As one of the newest restaurantsMamieVIPDined on 9/8/2013As one of the newest restaurants to open in Newport, Jo's American Bistro should be one of your restaurant stops. Newly renovated and simply chic decorated, this restaurant offers a great selection of delicious and well prepared food. The ambiance is good for small groups or larger ones. Definitely a must!Special Features:
- Great new Newport restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/2/2013My husband and I loved Jo's. We stumbled upon it while walking around Newport - it was near our B&B and looked very appealing. It had only been open 9 weeks, but we found the service great and the food exactly right. They have just begun a $19.95 prix fixe menu Monday-Friday, and we both took advantage of this. I had a delicious seafood stew, and my husband, the beef guy, had a perfectly cooked (medium rare) steak. The salad was fresh, with a tasty dressing; and the meal included a choice of wine or beer (I had a pinot noir, and my husband had the Sam Adams beer). Our waitress, Jennifer, was attentive and a delight to talk to. We will definitely be back the next time we're in Newport.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So glad to add this restaurantilovefinediningVIPDined on 8/31/2013So glad to add this restaurant to our dining choices - both visits have been terrific - food and service wise.Special Features:
- Wait was unacceptableJanMDined on 8/30/2013We were there just about an hour before our first course showed. Too long a wait. The food was good, not great, but the slow kitchen output spoiled it all for us.
- Excellent addition to theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2013Excellent addition to the Newport dining scene. Great food, service and atmosphere. Love the Statler chicken. We highly recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/18/2013Delicious food, great service and location. Out of the crowds of the wharf area but close to attractions. Jo's has their act together for a new restaurant. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2013We enjoyed this new restaurent. Hope the great service and attention to Detail will continue when Jo's gets more Popular as word gets around. Our fish and chicken was delicious. Ashley our waitress was very attentive and cheerful. The bread pudding dessert was fantastic.Special Features:
- This was a last minute decisionKz44tzVIPDined on 8/16/2013This was a last minute decision to try for dinner. On our vacation out east we wanted something in Newport after a day in Martha's Vineyard. There wasn't a menu online which was a gamble which paid off. The numerous choices, service and quality of food was wonderful I would recommend this place to any one in the Newport or traveling through Rhode Island. This restaurant was not in the tourist area several blocks to the north which also added to the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceBdispignoDined on 8/13/2013Food was great, service was great, date night success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous find in Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/11/2013On a recent August weekend in Newport, which can be nutty with tourists and crowds, we discovered Jo's and boy were we happy! Went for Brunch, no trouble getting a seat outside. Other than the traffic heading to the beach, it was quiet and peaceful. My lobster roll was perfectly prepared and the presentation was lovely. mimosas were fresh squeezed and great. Attention to detail was evident. The restaurant itself was tastefully decorated and nothing missed the decorator's eye. We heard Jo's was recently opened. We hope everyone tries it. Can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/5/2013The food and service were outstanding. We both had the striped bass special and loved it. Calimari, salads, and coconut lemon tart were dellicious. Server was great. We are from Portland Oregon and were in Newport for our anniversary. The meal made it special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!ElnossDined on 8/3/2013I found Jo's on Opentable. Most other well known restaurants were full as it was Jazzfest. Food was great, service was great (we were sharing and they split the food up onto separate plates at no extra cost). Really nice outdoor seating upstairs. Sole was great as was seafood pasta. Very pleasantly surprised!Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/3/2013Everything was excellent. From the greeting at the hostess stand all the way through the meal. The service was warm and efficient. The calamari was deliciously; lightly battered and the stuffed clams were awesome. Everyone at the table loved their entree. Nice wine list and interesting beers. Definitely going backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dinner before jazz festival!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/2/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our first dinner at this new restaurant. Servers were attentive though they had to scurry a bit as we were on the second floor deck. Both dinners were delicious and well prepared. It was a busy evening but we were not rushed. The setting was lovely - renovation was well thought out! We will surely return in the very near future.Special Features:
- New gem in Newpirt eateriesMelodybVIPDined on 7/28/2013Jo's opened only a month ago, yet they are up and running in flawless fashion. Staff is on the miney and food is innovative without being fussy. Great cocktails too. Newly refurbished decor is elegant yet warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner ExperienceKathDined on 7/28/2013My husband and I decided to try Jo's out since I had worked at Puerini's for 4 years I was curious to see the changes. I was absolutely surprised at the amazing renovations! Great atmosphere, excellent service from the beginning. Our waitress, Lisa, was absolutely wonderful! It was nice to have a local wait on us and she did an excellent job. The food was fabulous as well as the wine!! Thank you so much and we will be back! Hope Lisa can be our server on our next trip!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good potential, but newness showsXawdisDined on 7/26/2013The place looks beautiful, and some of the food is great, some not so much. Our waitress was nice but a little too "friendly" ather tha professional or attentive. My date said her sole was fantastic... My fruite de mare had a generous complement of seafood, but was a bit flawed. The "heirloom tomato" sauce, instead of a marinara sauce, was more a creamy vodka sauce: sweeter, and richer than we had expected and called out to be cut by a squirt of lemon... The fettuccine was undercooked and tasted a bit pasty. The fellow at the next table shared our opinions, but sent his back because it was cold. The place seems to have a good potential, but needs a bit of polish to be a top-class restauant. We will probably try it again in a year or so.Special Features:
- Fabulous New Restaurant in NewportOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/26/2013I can't say enough about Jo's American Bistro. It opened a couple of weeks ago at the former location of Puerini's on Memorial Blvd. West. Joann Carlson - former owner of Percy's on Thames St. which was our favorite, go-to eatery of the time - definitely knows how to run and staff a restaurant. The renovations are beautiful, comfortable, and so inviting. The food is superbly prepared, the drinks are generously made, and the wine list offers well-chosen vintages. The wait staff is amazing - professional, efficient, and attentive. My husband and I will be back at Jo's the very next chance we get.Special Features:
- Kindest staff ever!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2013We walked in on a Sunday afternoon about 15 minutes before the kitchen was closing and the entire staff was so accommodating. They made the experience! Our food was delightful and everyone went out of their way from our waitress to the chef to make sure we had a wonderful relaxing meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First, but not last, visitMeggieDined on 7/20/2013Delicious fresh seafood. Can't wait to go back for some of the appetizers and see the outdoor seating upstairs. A little on the pricey side, but since this is Newport in the summer, I would put it on par with many other restraunts in the area price-wise. Great food, great waitress. Easy parking behind Jo's in the CVS/Creamery parking lot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New FindMikeDVIPDined on 7/5/2013My first visit to this newly opened restaurant......was a regular at Perini's, the former restaurant on this site. .A very pleasant experience........newly renovated, attractive ambiance, excellent food and great, pleasant and attentive service.......a little pricey but it is season in Newport....hope they plan on off-season specials. will definitely return...many times.Special Features:
- New Gem In Newport!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2013We have have been fortunate to have dined at most of the best restaurants in Newport and this on is near the top of our list. The new owners have done a terrific job in upgrading the interior and exterior. Jo's American Bistro has a nice clean design with both indoor and outdoor seating. Jennifer, our server was very attentive and knowledgable and made some great recommendations, We started our meal with a cooked oyster appetizer and stemed mussels. Both were delicious! For entrees we went with the lamb loin and pan roasted sole. The lamb was cooked perfectly and very flavorful, although not over-seasoned. It was presented upon a nice bed of root vegetables with a little bit of curry spice. Very nice! The sole was also nicely prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food ExperienceDanBVIPDined on 7/3/2013Jo's American Bistro has all it needs to be a great success. They recently opened and have a few very minor kinks to work out, but my overall experience was overwhelmingly positive. Great menu, nice ambiance, quality food and attentive service. I have already been there twice in the last week and expect this to be my 'go to' spot, either for dinner or drinks/apps at the bar. So glad that Newport has this new gem!Special Features:
- Great new spot 4 dining in NewportOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/29/2013We didn't know what to expect from Jo's American Bistro which had been open for only a week when we tried it. A restaurant that new can be risky. We were very happy with our experience. Jo has completely redecorated and updated the space so that it is both classic and new. The prior restaurant had very good food but it was really noisy and tended to be too hot in the summer. Jo's was comfortable and not too loud until a party of 10 showed up. Nothing you can do about those. Luckily we were just leaving. The food was very good with interesting combinations of ingredients cooked just right. The wine list is varied and fairly reasonable. Portions are not over-sized like so many places so we had room to share a dessert. We'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrived a little early, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2013Arrived a little early, but was seated immediately. This establishment is new to the area, and was pleased to see three employees that I have known for many years from different restaurants in the area, so was really like "old home week". Plenty of wait staff and could not have been more attentive. Very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jo's is a winner!SandyandMaureenDined on 6/27/2013Jo's replaced a restaurant which had been in the community for many years, so we were anxious that a nice restaurant replace it. We were not disappointed -- the food is great, the service wonderful, and the venue is absolutely terrific. They've taken a nice Italian family place and transformed it into a locale that adds modern touches but takes full advantage of the historical area. The menu offered a lot of diversity with just the right number of choices. The calamari were crispy and tender. The oysters were briny and fresh, the grilled shrimp were juicy and large, served on a wonderful, creamy risotto; the pan-roasted sole was a bit dry on the outside, but still very tender and flaky. All this and great service to boot. Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We waited for several weeksNPT23VIPDined on 6/22/2013We waited for several weeks for Jo's to open and we weren't disappointed. Although only open a few days, the service was good and food even better we can't wait for our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.