Murray's Cheese Bar
264 Bleecker St
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Murray's Cheese Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.murrayscheesebar.com/
- Phone: 6464768882x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact CheeseBar@murrayscheese.com
- Private Party Contact: Cara 2122433289
- Special Events: Monday, Oct. 27 - Fall Harvest NY Cider Dinner
Monday, Nov. 10 - Meet The Cheesemaker Dinner w/ Jasper Hill Farms.
A word from Murray's Cheese Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Murray's Cheese Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
111 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (78)neighborhood gem (61)notable wine list (33)great for brunch (32)great for lunch (26)good for groups (22)hot spot (15)romantic (14)special occasion (12)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (2)Show More
- Cheese for days!iheartfoodVIPDined on 2/9/2014Excellent selection of cheeses, wines, and our server (Brian) was fantastic & very knowledgeable in the menu & the cheese selections and their historic backgrounds! We were impressed :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service, butMaxfoodVIPDined on 2/7/2014Great food and service, but way too loud to really converse. Go if you're ready to get rowdy with a good, fun group and enjoy some fantastic food. Don't go if it's date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long distance regularsLoriDined on 1/30/2014We love MCB so much that we live on the upper east side but go there as much as someone who lives in the neighborhood would. The cheese mongers choice is always superb ( and is so go that is ruin cheese plates at other restaurants for us). The brunch is everything you want out of a brunch. Innovative and well balance dishes, light refreshing drinks and decadent dessert ( if there is room after any meal you have there). Oh yeah and the service is perfect. Friendly, attentive, upbeat people ( especially Bo) really are the cherry on this wonderful experience. We shlep there on weeknights and weekends ( and my husband has work lunches there) because it is that good! The only thing I would ask is that they open one on the upper easy side!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum yum yumo!CheezinDined on 1/29/2014Must like cheese to dine at Murray's! (In order to fully appreciate their specialty!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More cheese pleasekf1nnDined on 1/24/2014If you like, no, love cheese, this is your new home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for cheese and wine lovers!SEB514Dined on 1/24/2014I've often purchased cheese and sandwiches from Murray's Cheese Shoppe and was excited to try the wine bar. Service was excellent and the cheese experts have great recommendations for cheese and wine pairings. We didn't order actual entrees but we were more than satisfied with all of the cheese and bread. I went with a friend but it also seems like a great place for a date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Cheese Spot in the citymkw15Dined on 1/23/2014Loved each course- fondue, grilled cheese, and house selection eight-cheese plate that was customized based on our verbalized preferences. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedFoodieGalDined on 1/22/2014I wasn't expecting such a nice service. Our waitress was very knowledgeable in the wine list as well food. Very attentive and accommodating. Atmosphere was great, not too noisy, chilled, perfect for our group of 4. Will definitely come back with other friends! Cant' wait to try the rest of the menu or stop in for brunch! Best dishes we had burrata and of course our scrumptious chz platter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveBalkanMommaDined on 1/19/2014The prices between the online brunch menu and the menu I was given were off. I ordered the ricotta parfait which was listed online for $8 but the actual price was $12. There wasn't even 3 oz of ricotta in the parfait. It is listed as being served with fruit compote. When I asked the waitress what it was, she said it was a sauce. I asked if it was jam and she said that it was indeed like jam. Turns out they had cut up some apples and put that on top instead of compote. When I asked the waitress what happened she said that is how it is served. I told her I was under the impression I was getting something berry-based and asked to have a parfait with berries. She actually said, "It's already made." I asked her to change it and she did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best brunch in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/19/2014Murray's Cheese Bar just always delivers. Kind, knowledgeable staff and food of the highest order. I am just always impressed and count the days until another visit. We are from Vermont so are surrounded by great cheese but Murray's just takes it to another level entirely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!MLozaDined on 1/18/2014Waiters are fantastic! Esp gentleman with blk heavy framed glasses. The food was delicious! Came last week & I had to come again to make it a girls night. Beers are delightful. The Mac & cheeses were drool-worthy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Fondue!mb123Dined on 1/11/2014All of the cheese- themed meals were incredible for two cheese aficionados like me and my boyfriend. The meals left me completely full of deliciousness! There was also a wonderful wine/ beer list that went well with the meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/2/2014We even took one of the cheeses in the cheese monger platter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you love cheese you shouldDollDined on 12/30/2013If you love cheese you should visit as soon as possible. If you don't know if you like cheese you should go and find out. If you don't like cheese you should go anyway, you might change your mind. The waiters are very knowledgable and helpful. This is a wonderful place to spend a few hours enjoying a great dining experience.Special Features:
- Love the wine and cheese!shanagementVIPDined on 12/29/2013I'm a huge fan of Murray's! On Sunday nights I love to catch up with Rachel, the best cheesemonger, and Graegen at the bar for a winning combo of wine and cheese and excellent service. Cheese plates are always well curated with awesome, interesting accompaniments. The grilled cheese and tomato soup are also great for sharing.Special Features:
- CheesetackularffrannyDined on 12/28/2013Yummy grilled cheese sandwiches, mac & cheese and such, but could use more veggies/salad alongside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyGtetvDined on 12/24/2013The food was great, waiters not great, they just looked like they wanted to end their shift! But i do rexomend this restaurantSpecial Features:
- We had a nice experience inLucianaDined on 12/20/2013We had a nice experience in Murray's Cheese Bar, the grilled cheese sandwich is tasteful and well served. The only big problem is the noise. The place is not that big and the acoustic is not good, the ambience is too noisy. We barely could listen to each other neither the waitress. Despite this fact, I would recommend to friends, as long as they are aware of the noise level (which can annoy a little bit..).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, drinks, servicekellynycVIPDined on 12/13/2013I had the fondu, kale salad, French onion soup, and a bottle of sparkling wine. They were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cheese, meat, winegah123Dined on 12/12/2013my wife and i had a great time. great cheese, meat, wine - what else do you need? cheese selection is awesome. wine list could use a couple bargains in my opinion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheese lovers in paradiseFoodvacationerDined on 11/27/2013We started with an a la carte Pleasant Ridge Reserve (which we went home with half pound from the shop)followed by the goat cheese bake and the buffalo cheese curds which all were outstanding. I mean mouth watering and moany good. I had a glass of the dry cider which went nicely with all courses. We split the Mac n cheese which was the only let down. It was a little blah, nothing spectacular. We also indulged in dessert, apple pie with cheddar and sh'mores. Both yummy and just the right portion after all the savory items. It's a small place but comfy and all servers are well versed in all things cheese. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful brunchGinnyDined on 11/23/2013LOVED Murray's Cheese Bar and keep coming back for great food, service and enjoyable ambiance. My two friends and I were pleasantly greeted by our waiter, Beau, who I have had before. We had a fun and complete brunch with mimosas, cheese plate and variety of entrees that exceeded each of our expectations. While sometimes it can take a while for the food to arrive, unless you are in a hurry, it's never an issue because the cheese course comes out quickly and you do not feel rushed when enjoyed your mimosas or after finishing your entrees. Could not have more pleasant things to say about the brunch experience and look forward to going back for cheese/wine at another time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great value for moneyPW12Dined on 11/21/2013Really fun, different sort of menu with almost everything involving cheese -- cheese from Murray's next door -- how could it be anything less than delicious? Mac N Cheese and grilled cheese are very tasty -- with a unique blend of different cheeses. And the prices are not bad at all. We just had the Mac N Cheese and grilled cheese/tomato bisque combo and spent only $15 each!Special Features:
- Amazing Cheese!shanagementVIPDined on 11/17/2013Murray's Cheese Bar is amazing! The service is fantastic. Rachel the Cheesemonger is the best! She will ask you what kinds of cheeses you like (or don't like) and then creates an amazing platter of cheese with accoutrements like sour cherries or butterscotch that will make the cheese even more dynamic! The service is great and this is one of my favorite places in all of NYC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere poor serviceHeightsFoodieDined on 11/17/2013I love the food at Murray's but the service is scattershot and confused. The waiter tried to make up for not bringing my friend her tea before our food came by buying me a drink but we would have rather he tell us they were short on tea pots than have us sitting there waiting and wondering. The same thing happened with our food. They brought mine and then after waiting five minutes we had to ask where the other meal was. They were very nice but not very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- server & kitchen unorganizedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/17/2013wrong orders would show up to table our order was cold and extremely delayed table next to us had the same issues it was an awful experience; i was embarrassed as I had chosen this location for my husband's birthday and I had invited friends. I was very sad with the experience and I didn't really know what to say to my friends! The only nice thing that day, the waitress acknowledged the birthday and brought us a couple slices of cheese for free but unfortunately this nice gesture didn't make up for the all the other wrongs.
- After dinner spotMrBobDobalinaVIPDined on 11/16/2013Great place to get a late rezzie and have some cheese and wine for dessert.Special Features:
- Greatest Mac and CheeseMariannDined on 11/14/2013I was on the hunt for the best Mac&Cheese in town for a while, but I think the search is finally over. Murray's special receptive with Blue cheese and bacon just made to the top of my list. They also offer amazing cheese plates and pairings. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac 'N' Cheese - not gooey enoughdrhynardVIPDined on 11/13/2013I have been to Murray's Cheese board a number of times for, wait for it, cheese boards. I have always loved the cheese and experience. I finally decided it was time to splurge on the Mac 'N' Cheese, especially since I had read it was in the Top 10 in the city. Unfortunately, I found the Mac 'N' Cheese to be a bit dry. I was hoping for a gooey, melty-skelty Mac 'N' Cheese.
- AMAZING!cheeseGirlDined on 11/11/2013Great experience. Our waiter was insanely helpful and suggested amazing things off the menu. Will definitely go back and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Fun way to discover cheesenycdinerVIPDined on 11/10/2013Lovely quaint restaurant with a small number of table and some high tops. The service is impeccable. The cheese flight was delivered by the cheese monger who explained each slice in detail. Portions are generous and matched to the wine you pick. Really a fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Breakfast/Brunch is Amazing ..ase1707VIPDined on 11/10/2013My wife and I had a late breakfast here with another couple late Sunday morning. This was a treat! I opted for a breakfast of eggs benedict, but instead of hollandaise sauce it was served with an amazing cheese sauce. Omelets, and other dishes were amazing. The service was excellent and the rather plain surroundings are quickly forgotten as soon as the breakfast arrives. If you like or love cheese, this is a breakfast worth traveling to enjoy. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Murray's "Cheese" Bar?Butterscotch88Dined on 11/9/2013There isn't exactly a ton of seating in this place, yet somehow our appetizer cheese flight went to the table next to us. I knew this was our appetizer since those folks had only just placed their order. Crisis averted - the cheese was delicious. But later our mac n' "cheese" arrived dry, containing only oil and burnt breadcrumb-covered noodles. Where was the main ingredient? No exaggeration; if the chef did add cheese, it had all melted into an oil pool at the bottom of the cast iron dish. Thank goodness for some great service that kept our dining experience afloat! We received grilled cheese and soup after sending the mac n' cheese back (delicious), as well as a free glass of wine.Special Features:
- I really don't know how toOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/7/2013I really don't know how to properly express the joy of experiencing the range of cheese options we shared. It was heaven. Go with a group so you can taste everything!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Girls Night at MurraysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/2/2013First, the service was excellent. Very patient, pleasant and answered all of our questions. Especially patient when we were too busy yapping to focus on ordering! As for the food, we started with the 5 Cheesemonger plate. Requested goat and got a wide selection of different goat cheeses. All very good picks by the cheesemonger. My favorite, after the cheese, were the salads: grilled artichoke hearts and kale. A great balance after the cheese! Overall, a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent lunch - happy peopleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/2/2013excellent lunch - happy people working there of course who wouldn't like to work around the wonderful cheeses. looking to eat there again when we return to the citySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelicioussomuchfunnyDined on 10/30/2013Great cheese selection. Mac & cheese and grilled artichokes were delicious. Cheese ICE CREAM was the best thing ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find...caDenverVIPDined on 10/28/2013On our most recent trip to NYC we stopped by Murray's Cheese shop as we always do, however we were pleased to find their own new restaurant a couple doors down. We ended up going for brunch over the weekend and had a very enjoyable meal. To start, the lychee mimosa was fantastic - a great way to start. Then came our meal, which was great as well. Of course the cheese & its pairings were fantastic. I would definitely go by again on our next trip to the city.Special Features:
- Had the Cheesemonger ChoiceSFooteVIPDined on 10/26/2013Had the Cheesemonger Choice cheese flight. Great recommendations. Sat at the bar and it was perfect! Right in front of the tempting case of cheese. We didn't feel pressured to have a big meal and just enjoyed our 5 cheeses and glasses of wine. The wine pairings were excellent and really enhanced our experience. Our server was great, and even gave us other local recommendations of near by restaurants and bars!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing cheeseRRRRDined on 10/19/2013If you like cheese enough to make a meal of it in style, this is the place for you. If you like cheese enough to get a cheese platter, with cheesemonger's selections thoughtfully paired with unique but delicious condiments, that'll do too. It's delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.