Murray's Cheese Bar
264 Bleecker St
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Murray's Cheese Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.murrayscheesebar.com/
- Phone: 6464768882x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday 11:00am - 3:30pm
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 12:00pm - 3:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Tuesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Wednesday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Happy Hour, Late Night, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact CheeseBar@murrayscheese.com
- Private Party Contact: Cheesebar@murrayscheese.com 2122433289
- Special Events: Monday, Nov. 10: Meet The Cheesemaker Dinner w/ Jasper Hill Farms.
-Tickets available: http://www.murrayscheese.com/classes/dinner-with-jasper-hill-farm-at-murray-s-cheese-bar-monday-monday-november-10.html
Saturday, Nov. 15: Brunch with Vermont Creamery with special guest Allison Hooper
-Tickets available: http://www.murrayscheese.com/classes/brunch-with-vermont-creamery-at-murray-s-cheese-bar-sat-nov-15-12-30-2-pm.html
A word from Murray's Cheese Bar
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Murray's Cheese Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
116 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (81)neighborhood gem (62)notable wine list (36)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (28)good for groups (23)hot spot (17)romantic (15)special occasion (13)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Unique!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014Murray's Cheese Bar is great- as long as you like cheese! Every dish we ordered was fantastic, but we particularly enjoyed the original mac n cheese. Our favorite part of our visit was actually the staff- they were enthusiastic and actually showed their personalities, which made us feel comfortable and like we were among friends. Our only minor complaint was the lack of privacy afforded by the seating arrangements; you are so close to the other tables it's hard not to feel like you are intruding on their conversations!Special Features:
- Great cheese selection, fun place!lbovVIPDined on 9/21/2014This cheese bar has a wonderful energetic atmosphere and the cheeses are delicious. Coming from France, I tend to be quite picky when it comes to cheeses and I was very pleasantly surprised. The service is pretty slow but it is understandable considering how packed they were on a sunday around brunch time. Would highly recommend this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicknameVIPDined on 9/20/2014Murray's is a kind of cheese-centric bistro, Greenwich-Village-casual and painfully loud. The food is good, if not revelatory. Diners who are sophisticated about cheese might find preparations safe and timid. But though the restaurant's recipes may be unadventurous, they're pleasantly tasty.I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatLikesmurrayVIPDined on 9/14/2014What a wonderful staff and amazing food! Everything about our brunch there was perfect and I'd highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yay!CatDestroDined on 9/12/2014I've been to Murray's Cheese Bar twice in the last 3 months and I'm most likely going to visit again. The service and staff are friendly and the food is awesome. Oh yeah, I love cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurantTryingnewplacesVIPDined on 9/5/2014More cheese than you know what to do with, except to love every minute. Really flavorful and creative dishes, nice wine list and very good service. A little loud for a date though definitely a cool spot.Special Features:
- Grilled cheeseBoedostDined on 9/4/2014So delicious -- great appetizers----burgers-----very loud thoughSpecial Features:
- MamaPDined on 8/31/2014Had a great time and a GREAT meal! Staff was friendly and never rushed us. Helped to make it a memorable birthday for our guest of honor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentJennyDined on 8/28/2014Wasn't sure what to expect, but thought it would be good considering the reviews I had heard in the past. But it was excellent! Went with a group of 8 for my birthday and had the best night. We weren't rushed off the table, the service was outstanding and just overall great experienceSpecial Features:
- love2dineDined on 8/27/2014Phenomenal time. Been there twice for dinner in the last two weeks. Food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find...pig4cheeseDined on 8/24/2014Really amazing place....we did a spread of meats and cheeses and the cheesemonger (yes, really) came out and explained each item we got. It was fantastic. The pull pork mac and cheese was killer....if you're feeling a little adventurous, let them put together some cheese for you, if not the food is great anyway!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2014excellent cheese selection. food was delicious. Would definitely recommend to friends and would go again if in New YorkSpecial Features:
- JamieVIPDined on 8/23/2014Always have fun at this casual cheese restaurant. Service isn't spectacular, but the food is always solid. Great for sharing, and exploring your love of cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgDined on 8/23/2014Noisy, crowded, small portions, moderately high prices. Service was ok. Our server seemed to have a little sass and attitude for some reason. All we wanted was wine paired with some meats & cheeses. Spent almost $100 for 1 bottle, 5 small slices of cheese, and a few shreds of 3 different meats. It all tasted very good, however it was so loud I could barely hear the server explain the kinds of meats & cheeses we got and I could barely have a conversation with my date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- average.plebeianDined on 8/14/2014We had reservations and were seated quickly, however after getting our drinks nothing else happened in a reasonable time frame. The food was prepared well and still warm when getting to the table. We were seated between two large groups and had to compete with the surrounding noise to have a conversation, however it's impossible for a restaurant to predict and adjust for this. Overall an average dinner priced above what it's worth.
- Very casual placeEdNYCDined on 8/14/2014Decent place for lunch, place is very casual. Best if you can get one of the 2 tables closest to the street, to check the pedestrian traffic outside. Service was slow though considering it is a small place, so don't go there if you are in a rush.Special Features:
- Great pre-theatre vino and nibblessoozVIPDined on 8/13/2014The best deal in town for good wine and a delicious cheese plate prior to going to neighborhood theatre. Love the Happy Hour....but also love the Burger - anytime. Try it with the yummy side dipping welsh rarebit.Special Features:
- A cheesy delight!IvyNYCVIPDined on 8/13/2014Who knew that buffalo cheese curds make a great amuse bouche? The fondue was outstanding, the mac n' cheese excellent. A wonderful selection of cheeses. Casual and decadent. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Select carefullyLizzWVIPDined on 8/10/2014I really enjoyed Murray's-- but stick to cheese! I went during restaurant week and thought that the menu lacked in cheese choices. I had the mac and cheese which was cold and I sent it back. It also was nothing special. My guest had scallops--not sure why anyone would order them at a cheese restaurant. The 3-cheese plate for dessert was more like it! I would go again and have a large cheese selection, a bottle of wine and maybe a dessert. The servers were all very knowledgeable and friendly.
- Great ambience, okay foodCoffeeFlavoredEverythingDined on 8/6/2014I came here with a friend for restaurant week, and I was throughly impressed with the freshness of the ingredients used in the food. That being said, I wasn't too thrilled with the amount of acidity that I tasted in the sauce for our lamb meatballs or in the rarebit burger. It was a little strong for my palette. The wine I have no complaints over, nor do I have any complaints over the dessert choices--they were outstanding. Great service, I just hope the acidity in the food is reduced the next time I stop by.Special Features:
- Bustling cheese/wine barAJiLVIPDined on 8/5/2014Came here for restaurant week and it was great- many different types of delicious cheese to try. The waitstaff were great, and had solid recommendations. Decor is not too fancy, more homey than anything. Nice place to eat in West VillageSpecial Features:
- One more, one moreBenARoundDined on 8/5/2014Interesting concept with nice food that is significantly overpriced. Tiled floors and hard surfaces produce a very high noise level that makes conversation difficult. Lively, young crowd. Friendly wait staff. Generally good, but more sensible prices would make this a much better experience.Special Features:
- Yummmm!Megash523Dined on 8/5/2014Great food! Staff is awesome and friendly. I got the buffalo cheese curds, classic Mac and the cheeseburger which were all SO GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The cheesecheesepleaseDined on 8/4/2014This place was great, mostly because the cheese was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunchBKDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014I really enjoyed their brunch. The food was delicious, and the atmosphere is nice. I would return for brunch again.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/2/2014We came here for brunch for my birthday and it was amazing! it was my first time at the restaurant side of Murray's and it didn't disappoint; the staff was great, the food was outstanding and they even comped my cheese flight as a birthday gift. will definitely be coming back :)Special Features:
- Cheesemongers Dream!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Delish! Enjoyed restaurant week. Will come again when I'm in NYC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceNicknameDined on 7/27/2014Friendly, helpful servers, delicious food. We did half restaurant week and half regular menu, and did not find that, as some restaurants do, the restaurant week items were lower-quality or stingy portions. Most of the options were on the regular menu, not created just for the lower prices of restaurant week. I had my parents visiting from out of town, and they have some specific preferences and dietary requirements, which were all handled enthusiastically by our waitress.Special Features:
- Magnificence in cheese . . .DrylongsoDined on 7/23/2014An exquisite dining experience, gently bringing together unexpected tastes to yield magnificent combinations. The Cheesemonger's Choice--where the diner invites the chessmonger to make the choices--was particularly eye-opening, yielding a set of cheeses and accompanying chutneys/jams/syrups that was both surprising and sublime. Opening the meal with this sweet selection, and then closing with the glory of Murray's desserts, made for a perfect meal. We'll be going back to try more . . .Special Features:
- Happy hour & Restaurant Week...icecreamVIPDined on 7/23/2014...meant that this place got super loud-- too loud to have a conversation. It was not ideal for a dinner to catch up with an old friend, but the food wowed, especially the cheese (of course!). Our meal was served at a poor pace (my friend and I were not served our courses together) and the service in general was not good. The waiter steered me to the happy hour wine vs. the wine I had said I wanted which ended up being MORE expensive with the discount and not less. I'd return but not at such a busy time.Special Features:
- O.K.waitingtoeatDined on 7/21/2014I went during Restaurant Week. The portion sizes were clearly reduced because of the reduced fee?? The taste was average...sometimes bland. The wait staff were friendly. We arrived about 10 minutes before our reservation and the restaurant was locked..not open yet. While understandable, it required my party to wander the streets of the Village instead of relaxing at the bar and having a cool drink. Summer in NYC can be hot.Special Features:
- If you love cheese...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014This place is great, I'm never disappointed. Delicious food, delicious cheese, great mimosas. Will definitely keep coming back.Special Features:
- BEST SERVICE EVEREDREDREDRVIPDined on 7/18/2014Our waiter was the most knowledgable, kind, and attentive waiter in all of Manhattan. The food was wonderful (the special scallop dish is something I would like to eat every day). Only complaint- the design of the place and the gregarious crowd made it too loud for my husband and I to really enjoy an easy conversation- lots of “Huh? What? Say that again!". Would definitely go back, but would avoid Friday evenings. Man, I sound old!Special Features:
- cheese with passionRuthDined on 7/17/2014Great for cheese lovers, with great wines as well. The Burrata is a must!Special Features:
- Love it hereKatherineDined on 7/12/2014My husband and I have been here for brunch and lunch a number of times and haven't had a bad meal yet!Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!ncstephDined on 7/6/2014We found Murray's online when planning our recent trip to NYC and what a lucky find it was! The food was incredible, the service friendly, helpful and attentive and the restaurant itself was comfortable and inviting. This gem is a must for tourists and locals alike! We will definitely eat there again on our next visit to the city. EXCELLENT! (Even Gordon Ramsey would love this place!)Special Features:
- One of my faves!AllOvrNYDined on 6/30/2014This is one of my favorites - awesome food and super casual ambiance.Special Features:
- Amazing placeFoodhunterVIPDined on 6/22/2014I never went to this restaurant before. It is such amazing surprise. Service is friendly, food is amazing and the selection of cheese is different to match. Right next you have a store for real foodies that make the visit even ore special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great cheese selsectionfluffVIPDined on 6/19/2014Came here with a girlfriend for wine and cheese and it turned out to be a great find. the servers were knowledgeable and helped us select cheese and the perfect wine to go with it. i will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterFHDinerVIPDined on 6/15/2014When we went to the restaurant, it was mostly empty. We had three people and they squeezed us on a table for two. Other groups of three came and were given tables for four. The food was good but not great. We were there for early brunch and they were already out of a menu item. We started with a cheese plate and the cheese pieces were tiny. Although there was nothing terrible wrong with our main courses, there was nothing memorable about them either.Special Features: