Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
271 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lolitaboston.com/
- Phone: 6173695609
- Hours of Operation:
7 Days a week, 5:00PM - 2:00AM
Full Menu served until 11:00PM
Late Night Menu served until 1:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Brian Roche
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night
A word from Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
Located in Boston's pristine Back Bay, Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar is a bawdy neighborhood cantina serving playful interpretations of Mexican-inspired cuisine. With a selection of over 180 choice tequilas, Lolita offers guests a decadent Mexican experience. The dark, polished decor is lightened by notes of crimson and amber, presenting a vibrant and youthful ambiance fit for a night of revelry. Serving food & drink seven days a week until 2AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (86)hot spot (85)good for groups (66)special occasion (51)late-night find (51)fit for foodies (42)romantic (42)neighborhood gem (36)notable wine list (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- East coast doesn't do MexicanBrooklinebellDined on 2/12/2014Coming from the west coast it is hard to find a decent Mexican restaurant... Lolita is the only restaurant I have found that I would actually recommend for Mexican food. It is a vibrant place with a gothic style ambiance. The service, food and atmosphere were fantastic. The down fall is that it is very small and the table aren't big. You can feel squeezed into a courier depending on your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and Margaritas!CherrypieVIPDined on 2/5/2014Took a visiting friend to Lolita Cocina for dinner during a recent snowstorm. It seemed everyone else had the same idea as the place was buzzing. Started working our way through the delicious margarita menu while we decided on food. Our waiter bought out a palate cleanser of grapefruit sorbet with a shot of tequila poured on that was sat over dry ice, so an impressive start to the evening. Our food was delicious, trio of cerviche is a must have. Prawns on my main were huge, juicy and perfectly grilled. Were presented with candy floss and popping candy with the bill. Very impressive all round and will certainly be back! a great spot for a date if you want to impressSpecial Features:
- Happening Spot/ Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/3/2014Food is Excellent all ingredients are fresh. Drinks are also excellent. Ambiance is a cool tribute to the Mexican Culture of Celebrating the Dead. Red Chandeliers, melting wax, rod Iron fencing. Very cool and hip scene. A bit too much on Thurs - Friday unless you are into more of a loud Techno Club Scene/bar/restaurant. I would recommend going Sun - Wed and getting there early. They open at 5 pm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Hot Spottorres6Dined on 1/29/2014This place has it all. It is in a great location, the food is excellent, the crowd is young and good looking, and it's a cool spot for drinks on a Thursday night or weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud!FiggyDined on 1/24/2014Went for dinner with a friend. This place is very buzzy but if you go to eat, you can't hear yourself think! We couldn't talk to each other at all, left in less than an hour. The food was mediocre at best, we both left most of our mahi mahi and chicken tacos as they were tasteless. The granite with tequila offered at the start was good, as was the guacamole but overall, the food tasted of absolutely nothing. Go for a drink as the bar seemed fun and busy but don't bother eating there.Special Features:
- Quality Mexican-Inspired FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2014I went with my boyfriend to Lolita for my birthday, and at the end of the night, we both agreed that it was the best Mexican food either of us had enjoyed. The staff was friendly and their service was impeccable and quick. It seemed par for the course for diners to receive nice freebies, like a granita palate cleanser presented over dry ice, and sour apple cotton candy with strawberry pop rocks after dessert. The drinks were a bit expensive, but well worth the price. Our only complaints were that our entrees were a little salty for our liking, and that the restaurant was a little hard to hear in because of the loud conversations and music at the bar. We attributed this to a club like feel. We would both recommend it again.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner!CHSmithDined on 1/18/2014It was a wonderful dinner. Amazing tacos and the hottest mango salsa was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for date night.ChrisVDined on 1/17/2014Excellent cozy place for date night in the middle of the city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentapollorockyDined on 1/16/2014Went for date night for first time at this restaurant. Was packed on Thursday night, reservations needed. Very loud inside d/t very lively bar area. Food, drinks, and service was on point. Will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Funnest restaurant ever!DanerwanerDined on 1/13/2014Vampire den atmosphere, pumping music, good food and tasty drinks, plus cotton candy with pop rocks with the check. Awesome :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The hunt is over207FoodieDined on 1/11/2014I was in Boston for one night and on a quest for a great Mexican restaurant. The price didn't matter and I based my decision strictly on reviews. There were other locations on the water with views, etc. but not only were Lolitas food reviews great, the look and feel of the location seemed unique. I was totally blown away. The staff was extremely helpful and open to sliding my reservation around a bit. It only took 4-5 minutes to be seated (not that I mind kickin it in a wicked comfortable leather chair while I wait). The service was absolutely outstanding, friendly and knowledgable. Drinks came fast and food was incredible! Hands down one of the best dining experiences I've had in a long time. Extremely impressed.Special Features:
- Great place to come and celebrateCPMAREVIEWERDined on 1/10/2014Great place to come and celebrate any special events! This place usually gets very busy on the weekend so if you're looking for dining you'll want to reserve tables in advance! Especially with a big group of party. Food is amazing and pricing is reasonable! Live and hip restaurant to enjoy great company and good food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outMeMoVIPDined on 1/9/2014Went to Lolita with a group of friends on a Thursday night. Excellent service, the food was delicious, and the place is really cool. Several people ordered the chicken quesadilla, which was delicious. I had the tres ceviches and brussel sprouts, also really flavorful and I loved both dishes. Had blackberry sangria, and the bleeding heart margaritas - both highly recommended. They bring you shaved ice to start, ours was grapefruit flavored, and offer you a shot of tequila on top. You also get chips and three types of salsas after you order, and they bring cotton candy with pop rocks with the bill. What's not to love!? Can be tough for a group because of the noise level, but everyone really enjoyed Lolita. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and great valueOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/5/2014Food was good, services was great. Extras were a nice surprise. Price was very reasonable. No drinks so bill was 20 per person with tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheap eats for Back BayJenelleDined on 1/4/2014Great location, great food, great service, great music, great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Upscale Mexican in BostonTbr3Dined on 1/3/2014I'm from Texas, born and bred, and this is one of my favorite spots. Everything I've had there is deliscious and the wait staff does a fantastic job of taking care of you. The ambiance feeds from a dia de los muertos theme and is very consistent throughout. Love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Extra special Mexican food.JuanpyninhoDined on 1/1/2014Excellent fancy Mexican food with nice extra touches like sorbet with tequila (optional) as a palate cleanser and cotton candy instead of an after dinner mint. Delicious sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerDanSDined on 12/30/2013We had a group of 8 and made a last minute reservation at this hot spot in Boston. The hostess worked some tables around and gave us a reservation around the time we needed. We were seated perfectly on time and treated to free tequila and chips and salsa. We opted for the $7 all you can eat tacos, which are absolutely outstanding. We ordered some guacamole on the side to complement the meal, too. The drinks are a bit expensive, but the pitchers are definitely a great buy. We walked out buzzed/full for a meager $30/person. I highly recommend Lolita to anybody that's into margaritas and Mexican food. Lastly, our waitress was very helpful and came to check on us periodically, ensuring we had all of our toppings in line for our tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsChineen17Dined on 12/26/2013This is an excellent hang out place, great drinks, family friendly until 10:00 PM, great service, excellent decoration and ambiance, it is definitely one of my favorite places in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favorite Mexican restaurantHappyCamperVIPDined on 12/26/2013Wow...what a great place. The atmosphere has a very nice vibe, with lounge areas in the bar. The menu was a bit unique, combining interesting ingredients with traditional Mexican fare (I had crispy pork soft tacos), and the result was fantastic. The guacamole was clearly fresh, and the best we'd ever had, with some interesting variations available here too. We had pretty high expectations based on the reviews, but still thought this was pretty much the best value restaurant we've found in Boston.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me and my boyfriend came herekelsieDined on 12/23/2013Me and my boyfriend came here for our 1 year anniversary and enjoyed the sensual decor and amazing food. The drinks are phenomenal! Love this place! We are going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pushy hostesses, good fooddeliceVIPDined on 11/15/2013We arrived on time for our reservation and waited for 15 minutes, after which the hostesses suggested we hang out at the bar and they would text us. They texted 5 minutes later and we flagged the bartender down to close our tab. A minute or two later the hostesses called us, demanding we get back to the hostess stand--and they repeated this multiple times after we stated (multiple times) we were just paying the bill and would be back as soon as we signed it. That being said, our wait staff was prompt and responsive. I loved the tequila granita to start the meal and the tacos were excellent. The fish tacos were spicy and the pork ones were well-seasoned and definitely the best thing we have. The guac and sangria were delicious too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Chicano food with flairAbbyDeMoDined on 11/13/2013Lolita had a lot of fun dishes on the menu and everything we tried was delicious - shrimp with queso and spinach quesadilla especially impressed. The palate-cleanser (grapefruit? Sorbet) with tequila was a nice touch and of course we loved finishing with some tasty cotton candy! Good wine menu and drinks - fun for a night out! Looks like a date place - cool decor but a little dark. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy creative food, dark placeworldfoodie711Dined on 11/11/2013The food and creative cocktails were tops at Lolita Cocina. The ambiance was a little dark and depressing but the vibe was still good and fun. I was there on a Monday night, but the bar was full and the energy was good. The ceviche was okay but not great, but the trio of guacamole and the lobster enchilada were fabulous. I had the diablo margarita which had great flavor but wasn't too spicy to drink. Good overall.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceJeffPDined on 11/10/2013This was a great experience on our trip to Boston. I didn't know what to expect as it had a very little footprint from the street view. The atmosphere was incredible. The put so much into the food presentation and all sorts of little extras to enhance your experience. Our waiter was the best waiter that we have had all year, maybe ever (wish I could remember his name so he could read this...). Three salsas selection were complimentary, bacon guac was incredible, and the tortilla soup was phenomenal (caution -> spicy). Wish I could go again, but I don't live in Boston!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly Surprised!MarieVIPDined on 11/9/2013I wasn't sure at first, as I felt like I was walking into a gothic brothel, but the service was very good, and the food was excellent! They come to the table with flavored shaved ice, which they pour tequilla on. I have never had that before, but It was very good. We had the Vertical Nachos, the Carne Asada, which my husband really liked, and my daughter had the Mahi Tacos. The mojitos were some of the best we have had. The sour apple cotton candy with the pop rocks that came with the bill was a surprise! The music was eclectic and a bit loud, but overall, if you are looking for a unique Mexican restaurant, this is your place.Special Features:
- went with a group of friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/6/2013went with a group of friends for dinner - service was fine as was the food. But we could barely hear each other, as it is very noisy and crowded place, even on a weeknight.Special Features:
- Delicious Food with a TwistOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/27/2013Lolita Cocina clearly made an effort to make our dinner special. We were surprised by nice little twists throughout the evening, including the complementary and unique starter and dessert. Our meals were high quality and delicious, and the service was very good. The décor in the restaurant was unique as well, and it looked like a fun bar scene, even though we were just there for dinner. I would definitely recommend this to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coolest place I've eaten atFastlifeDined on 10/25/2013Coolest place I've eaten at in Boston! Fun atmosphere, great food and attractive hostesses !Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceBigGDined on 10/8/2013Three of us went for dinner and we loved everything we had - from the palate cleansing grape fruit ice on dry ice, chips and salsa, hot guacamole, crispy sweet potato fries, to our main meals of crispy pork, garlic lime chicken, mushroom empanada, and the culminating cotton candy at the end. The service was attentive and the decor and ambience were great. This was not your ordinary Mexican food of tacos and burritos. This was an experience of great tasting Mexican food you had never had anywhere else before.Special Features:
- Meh.HKSKVIPDined on 10/8/2013The gum-smacking hostess set the tone. Friendly but not elegant. The space is really dark. Best suited to the stressed out-looking 20-something customers in identical short, tight black dress who ran around the bar area all night. Service fine, paced a bit too fast early on and a bit too slow later, but competent. I got the feeling the team was really trying to do a good job. Food was the typical American pseudo-upscale take on Mexican. The kitchen may have been a bit too generous with spice, which was the dominent menu trend. The space was also very loud as it filled. I would probably have loved it as a 20-year ol. Fine for a visit but I don't think I'll be going back.Special Features:
- Beyond ExpectationsMetallivikDined on 10/3/2013Great atmosphere, service, food, and drinks. Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a really fun restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/23/2013This is a really fun restaurant! The atmosphere and the extras like the cotton candy really add an entertaining twist to dining. Food is also very good!Special Features:
- Awesome Must Do!!JessidooDined on 9/21/2013Loved this restaurant!!! It is always impossible to get a reservation through OpenTable for weekend nights - so when I needed to find a restaurant around 5 PM before a Sox game I immediately thought FINALLY I can get a table at Lolita Cocina. Super dark, super red, super romantic and the little extras you get when you dine make this an outstanding experience! You begin with a frozen pallet cleanser, are poured some cold water from a special glass decanter that stays on your table, offered amazing cocktails (I recommend the strawberry basil mojito) and then given yummy food on top of it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in BostonJScott412VIPDined on 9/13/2013A unique scene with awesome food. A breath of fresh air in the neighborhood, as most restaurants are mediocre in the area.Special Features:
- Loved the complementsKetyDined on 9/11/2013The place is great. The food delicious and the complements make you feel a special guest. Would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- decent mexican food, better ambiancOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/8/2013food was above average. portions were well sized. the potato hash was a little too salty. Definitely go for drinks and apps (the guac was great).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place has a terrificOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/8/2013This place has a terrific tequilla selection and a different wrinkle on Mexican/southwestern food. We especially enjoyed the tres ceviches and the dipping sauces for tortilla chips. The whimsical green-apple-flavored cotton candy, provided gratis with the check, was still warm and delightful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Mexican Spot!DinetimeDined on 8/26/2013Loved this restaurant! Great food, vibe, and ambiance. Steak quesadillas were fantastic as was the guacamole al fresco! My family are vegetarians and they found great dishes as well with the mushroom empanadas and veggie tacos. Highly recommend this spot for the great food and cool vibe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularslashDined on 8/22/2013What a great place. Food was great, menu broad and great blend of local seafood in menu items. A true hidden hot spot. I will go back when I visit Boston again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.