Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
271 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lolitaboston.com/
- Phone: 6173695609
- Hours of Operation:
7 Days a week, 5:00PM - 2:00AM
Full Menu served until 11:00PM
Late Night Menu served until 1:00AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Mexican, Latin / Spanish
- Executive Chef: Brian Roche
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Late Night
A word from Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar
Located in Boston's pristine Back Bay, Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar is a bawdy neighborhood cantina serving playful interpretations of Mexican-inspired cuisine. With a selection of over 180 choice tequilas, Lolita offers guests a decadent Mexican experience. The dark, polished decor is lightened by notes of crimson and amber, presenting a vibrant and youthful ambiance fit for a night of revelry. Serving food & drink seven days a week until 2AM.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
hot spot (85)vibrant bar scene (83)good for groups (63)late-night find (51)special occasion (51)romantic (42)fit for foodies (41)neighborhood gem (35)notable wine list (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Outstanding Food, Unusual AmbiancedisappointedDined on 6/9/2014We had a reservation for 6:30 pm on a Monday night. The food (guacamole, garlic-lime chicken, tacos) was exceptional and delicious--better than most Mexican places I have tried in Chicago. The ambiance was a little unusual....the decor was reminiscent of a poorly-lit bordello with Gothic overtones. The room was very dark, which made it hard to see what you were eating, and the noise level made it a challenge to place the order with the waitress. Once we got over the shock of the surroundings, the menu was extensive and the food outstanding. It was clearly very popular with the young working types in Boston, even on a Monday night, so a reservation is a must.Special Features:
- dia de los muertosOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2014This place was creeptastic unless you like the dia de los muertos vibe. I think maybe if I had come here on a day that was not a gorgeous summery day, I might have felt slightly different about being in a dark gotchic looking dungeon, but maybe not. The food was good and the tequila was excellent, I just wasn't a fan of the dark decor.Special Features:
- Unusual Poor ServicebutterflyVIPDined on 6/4/2014I've been to this restaurant several times and have always enjoyed it. We unfortunately had very unusually poor service on this night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not goodMjgbostonVIPDined on 6/4/2014Starts of with a complimentary grapefruit granita with a splash of tequila that is so not a granita but clumps of ice. Terrible overjalapenoed guac. Tastless tacos. Vertical nacos tasted like cheese whiz The carnitas were the only thing worth eating. Artificially flavored painful cotton candy fir dessert.
- Awesome Drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/22/2014The most memorable thing at Lolita was the drink menu. Each drink I ordered was unique and tasted amazing. In addition, the tequila flights were superb. The food was good, but not amazing. My only warning is that this is not a lounge for anyone who is claustrophobic or wants to talk at normal volumes. The location is loud and crowded; but has a great ambiance and an energetic bar area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food in a fun, loud settingadamVIPDined on 5/21/2014I love the vibe of this place. Very cool decor. The drinks were very good, but this is the first time I came for dinner. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the portion sizes were generous as well. Got the ribs appetizer which were meaty and delicious, but not super unique in any way. Nice touch to bring a wet towel to wipe my fingers. Tried the shrimp entree which was very tasty and the shrimp were surprisingly big (not a comment I make too often). Also tried that mahi mahi tacos which I also liked, especially with a squeeze of lime and some hot sauce. The cotton candy with the check was also fun... sour apple flavored with cherry pop rocks inside! It can get loud, so not a good option for a quite meal.
- The following 122 reviews are from the Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar reviews archive.
- A touch of Mexican in Back BayursalaDined on 5/15/2014Enjoyed Lolita's fun touches the grapefruit granita and cotton candy yet the food was also very good. This is trendy Mexican not Tex-Mex. Guacamole variations were tasty as were the steak quesadillas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar, fun hot spotksgshmoopsVIPDined on 5/14/2014Love the drinks, can't wait to try more of their concoctions! Ambiance is great, dark but vibrant, spread out with couches and tables perfect for lounging or hanging out in groups. Food was ok, nothing memorable but very edible. Will definitely go back, hopefully very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placelarimarDined on 5/10/2014The food was great. The music was perfect not too loud.love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining DivaDiningDivaDined on 4/30/2014We went to Lolita to celebrate a birthday. It's definitely got a fun and different vibe - great for celebrations and group dinners. The cocktails were fabulous and the food was very good as well.Special Features:
- DelightfulgcabbottDined on 4/27/2014Great food... better drinks... always top-notch service.Special Features:
- LolitaNimisDined on 4/24/2014I like the place and love the coctails, but for me the food (entree) has been meh twice in a row. Everyone else liked their food and I liked everything else so I propably keep going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark, Red, and Delicious!Wiz999Dined on 4/24/2014It's dark and loud. It's also very trendy. It kinda feels like you're in a vampire den, but in a good way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One surprise after the other.FrediDined on 4/20/2014We so enjoyed dining here, a must revisit. I wouldn't want to spoil the experience so I will only say, Too Much Fun.Special Features:
- Lolita cocinaOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/19/2014Incredibly loud! Could not hear the person next to me. We ordered appetizers as well as entrees and they brought everything at once. Threw the food at us which was just average. The Tuna was NOT fresh , the dishes we ordered were just average. I would not go to Lolita again.
- Great placeBimlDined on 4/12/2014Great place, great food. I would love to have one in my area. Table was ready when my reservation was made, some places have delays even with a reservation. The food and the ambiance is perfect. I love the cotton candy and pop rocks too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sultry, Delicious, Mexican Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/9/2014I was in the mood for Mexican, and Boston isn't particularly known for that. Lolita Cocina delivered in a major way! Through the subtle entryway on Dartmouth, you descend into a very low-lit lounge-like subterranean bar and eatery. Despite the restaurant being packed to the brim, the service was amazingly friendly and efficient. We loved the complimentary chips and multiple salsa options, and added delicious guacamole to the equation. The cocktails and tequila tasting were all fantastic, unique, and high-end. Our meals (crispy pork tacos for me, mahi mahi tacos for her) were filling, tasty, and inexpensive. The surprise dessert treat at the end was fun and interesting. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/9/2014This was our first visit. The margarita's were fantastic - the spices apple, in particular. Food was also very good. The guacamole sampler had some unique mixtures all of which were delicious. For dinner we went with the shrimp tacos and carne asada. Both had tremendous flavor and the steak was tender enough to cut with a fork. I would order either one again. We will definitely be going back to Lolita. While the drinks were expensive (and worth it), they make up for it with excellent, reasonably priced food.Special Features:
- Great ambiance & food, OK servicemandritaDined on 4/6/2014The ambiance and the food. There was music, but not too loud and I liked the Goth red and black decor. It's difficult to get a reservation, so plan way ahead. Service was fair - we had to wait 25 minutes after being seated before anyone showed up at all; at 10:30 on a Sunday and they were not busy and we could see them chatting with each other. However, once a server showed up, he was pretty good. The shrimp tacos and brussel sprouts with agave nectar were great. The Crispy Carnitas was excessively salty. The sangrias (ginger peach and blackberry) were both OK, not great. We liked that they brought a water bottle to the table, so we didn't have to wait for refills. The sour apply cotton candy at the end was a nice touch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday PartyHMM19Dined on 4/6/2014I chose Lolita Cocina and Tequila Bar because I have heard great things about the place. Luckily, I was not disappointed. I made a reservation and they easily accommodated my group of 10. The service was impeccable, we even asked for separate checks and nothing was wrong with each check. The drinks were delicious and our server always made sure we had chips, water and drink refills. The food was delicious and all of my friends were blown away by the size of the quesadilla portions, the steak and chicken was delicious! We were not disappointed and were planning our next trip before we even left the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lolita Rocks!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/1/2014I frequently come to Boston and have tried countless restaurants and bars in the process but Lolita always draws me back with a great energentic crowd, amazing cocktails, solid food, and amazing service. I always look forward to the complementary granita to start the night, as well as the cotton candy with pop rocks to end it! You can't go wrong here... especially if you have the guacamole with bacon lardons... to die for!Special Features:
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/31/2014My first time to Lolita's and I loved it! My waiter was attentive and on his game. He took care of my table the way I would take care of guests at any of my tables, and that felt good. The drinks were amazing!! I would go back just to hang out at the bar. The all you can eat tacos were good as well. Overall my experience expectations were not only met, but surpassed. My night was nothing short of amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upon entering we were promptlypiratemkygrlDined on 3/29/2014Upon entering we were promptly greeted and welcomed. We had a group of 7 and were seated promptly at our reservation time. Our waitress was wonderful! She explained everything that was brought to the table and answered our menu questions promptly and informatively. She had a great energy. We enjoyed the aperitif and the salsa variety (and the cotton candy ender!). We thought the portion of food and the price were not the best of value- but given the extras and ambience we were ok with it. The margaritas and sangria were a hit! We loved the Diablo margarita! It was a great evening with wonderful flavors and atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely ReturningOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/25/2014Had a great time; good food, good service, and good drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Bar SceneMeldivineDined on 3/24/2014Lolita has a good bar scene, with a lot of yummy selections for margaritas and mojitos. Monday's are the best with all you can get $7 tacos!Special Features:
- Super TSuperTDined on 3/17/2014I was visiting from Denver and my son found Lolita's on the web. It was just fantastic! The place is hidden from the street but once you walk down the stairs it's like you are in a new world. The waiter (Justin) was great and although he had a lot of tables was very attentive to us the entire time. The food was great and I would go back many more times just to try all of the items on the menu. The food portions are large and we had plenty to take home and enjoy later. The blackberry sangria was fabulous and at the end of the meal getting cotton candy was a bonus! We loved this place!!Special Features:
- A little disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/14/2014I visited this restaurant back in the fall and was so happy with my experience, the service, the food everything wowed me. I had been talking about it so much, my husband and I were in town this weekend and decided to check it out. What a disappointment. The hostesses were a mess, rude and completely in a daze. The crowd (!!) it was pretty trashy and obnoxious, which took away from wanting to order a fun drink by the cool bar before our table was ready. The food was not as good as I remember, it tasted overcooked and not as well seasoned.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and fun foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/14/2014This place was perfect to bring an out of town friend to, the atmosphere was fun and energetic and the food was exactly what you'd expect for Mexican. The cotton candy was a fun touch! Our reservation was accidentally moved on the iPad the maitre'd was using- someone dragged it to an hour earlier than I had reserved on Open Table by mistake- but we were immediately accommodated without an issue. Great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemPatrice29Dined on 3/10/2014I was in Boston visiting for a few days and didy research and boy was I had when I stumbled across this place. Amazing drinks! Amazing food! Amazing waitress! I couldn't have asked for a more perfect restaurant for a nice romantic date. I beyond loved the ambiance and dim lighting. So perfect! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lolita's = Awesome Special NightKtObermannsDined on 3/6/20146 pm on Thursday and this place is HOPPING. Make a reservation- we were seated in <10 minutes. It's a little expensive, but I didn't feel it was overpriced at all. Food is excellent, portions are much more generous than expected, & drinks are strong. (Two appetizers, two glasses of decent sipping tequila, a pitcher of sangria, and an entree ran us $97, $122 with tax and tip.) All staff are attentive and charming, ambiance is incredibly stylish- lots of red lighting, pleasantly dim spaces offset with lit candles, and a great, unobtrusive music selection. The restaurant is definitely NOT quiet, but my friend and I were able to talk easily. We were there for almost two hours and never felt rushed. Will definitely go back! Well done Lolita's!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sexy spotVictoireDined on 3/2/2014Went here on a first date. The music was just the right level to enjoy it but still be able to speak with each other. The lighting was perfect and the food and drinks very good. The salmon was tender and flavorful. I had the diablo margarita which is spiced with chili pepper. It was dating and delicious perfect for a hot new date. Caveat no one seemed interesting in serving us at when were at the shift plush couches even thigh it was a Sunday night and the place was nearly empty. The decor and ambiance is amazing! I plan to go back an every chance with friends and new dates. ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good funLolaDined on 2/27/2014Great place to go grab a couple of tequilas and a quedadilla. The service was very good, and the place is cool. However, I didn't like what I ordered (the three ceviches), too sweet. But I am definitely going back and trying other dishes.Special Features:
- This is the place for youOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/27/2014This is the place for you I'd you don't mind not being able to hear your dining companions. This would be a fun place to have a drink and people watch, but not a good place to have dinner with friends. Even though the food was good and the service was attentive, I left with a headache from the overly loud music and the effort it took to talk to my friends. I think Lolita's should think more about whether it wants to be a dining experience or a hot spot bar. Hard to do both well.Special Features:
- Go for the ExperiencePrincessPVIPDined on 2/24/2014Lolita's is a vibrant restaurant meets lounge meets bar scene. With gothic decorum and dim lighting, the atmosphere of the place is both intriguing and sensual. The food is delicious in context of Boston's lacking Mexican food, but as a Southern California native, I still found the tacos to be lacking true authenticity of flavor. Nevertheless, Lolita's is the place to take any friend or love interest to truly impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always have a great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/17/2014We always have a great time here. We go an average of once a week, because of the good margaritas, and they have patience with us, as we like to enjoy our time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did someone say cotton candy?dsince1984Dined on 2/16/2014The only place you get cotton candy for dessert outside of Fenway! Love this place! It's unique, has good drinks, good food and they give you a giant, pop rocks, filled thing of cotton candy at the end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & service, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014I had dinner at Lolita last week and I can honestly say this was the best meal I have had at a restaurant in years. Everything from the appetizers to the main course to the dessert was phenomenal. Our waiter was really on-the-ball, yet down to Earth, and the service was great. The only complaint I have is that the music was way too loud for people who are trying to eat dinner and hear each other. It makes sense for a bar to turn up the volume at 10:00 or 11:00 PM, as it becomes less of a dinner spot and more of a bar scene.... but when you sit down to dinner at 8:30 PM, it would be nice to not have to shout to hear the person directly across the table from you. All in all, I would definitely go back, and I would recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drinks were exceptional. TheScottBDined on 2/15/2014Drinks were exceptional. The cotton candy and pop rocks were a great ending to great dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- East coast doesn't do MexicanBrooklinebellDined on 2/12/2014Coming from the west coast it is hard to find a decent Mexican restaurant... Lolita is the only restaurant I have found that I would actually recommend for Mexican food. It is a vibrant place with a gothic style ambiance. The service, food and atmosphere were fantastic. The down fall is that it is very small and the table aren't big. You can feel squeezed into a courier depending on your table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and Margaritas!CherrypieVIPDined on 2/5/2014Took a visiting friend to Lolita Cocina for dinner during a recent snowstorm. It seemed everyone else had the same idea as the place was buzzing. Started working our way through the delicious margarita menu while we decided on food. Our waiter bought out a palate cleanser of grapefruit sorbet with a shot of tequila poured on that was sat over dry ice, so an impressive start to the evening. Our food was delicious, trio of cerviche is a must have. Prawns on my main were huge, juicy and perfectly grilled. Were presented with candy floss and popping candy with the bill. Very impressive all round and will certainly be back! a great spot for a date if you want to impressSpecial Features: