55 Bond Street
New York, NY 10012Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.lephilosophe.us/
- Phone: 2123880038
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:30am - 3:00pm;
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Matthew Aita
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Our private dining room located into our wine cellar features one unique chef table that can seat up to 18 persons. Prix fixe dining options available upon request.
- Private Party Contact: Gilles - Manager 2123880038
A word from Le Philosophe
Classic French farm to table bistro located on charming cobbled stoned Bond street, we offer the best of old school french fares with a modern twist.Continued
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
We cater a great variety of exquisite French wines for our wine enthusiasts.
A la prochaine!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Le Philosophe reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (71)neighborhood gem (65)romantic (38)notable wine list (36)special occasion (21)great for outdoor dining (19)late-night find (14)great for brunch (11)hot spot (9)good for groups (8)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Missing components...OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/16/2014I ordered an omelette and when it showed up, I honestly thought it was a joke. It was missing all the ingredients that were listed on the menu. I'm not sure if they misunderstood my order but it was pathetic they even served it. Very poor experience
- Great for brunch and probably moreeveryonecuratesVIPDined on 2/15/2014I met a friend for brunch and the food was great. The menu has a few happy surprises and I wanted to eat everything. I recommend the Duck Hash and cappuccino. It was good enough, I want to go back and explore the dinner menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- J'adore!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/14/2014The folks at Le Philosophe are always gracious, friendly and competent. The food is well-presented and tasty - I love some of the more nostalgic and decadent menu options. The wine list offers a range of options in both variety and price. Can't wait for my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodSucepoodleVIPDined on 2/8/2014Le Philosophe has a superb menu with old French classics that my guest & I had come for. We both enjoyed our meal and even though we didn't have any wine, the servers were very nice to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful...VandiemenDined on 2/8/2014Real old school French cuisine. Frogs legs, Tournedos Rossini and Profiteroles....wonderful. The tournedos was simply one of the best dishes I've had in years. Mix that with a warm and charming reception from Tony and friendly attentive service from his staff and you have the recipe for a perfect evening. We'll be back again very soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinner spotBintheBigAppleDined on 2/7/2014Le Philosophe was our choice to celebrate two years together and it worked out to be an absolutely wonderful evening. The food was great, the wine list was extensive, and the ambience was perfectly romantic. Very happy to recommend this restaurant to friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had an epic dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We had an epic dining experience that far exceeded expectations! The mussels, beet salad, fries, duck, profiteroles, and even the warm olives were fantastic! Service was impeccable from the greeting at the door through our departure. The adjacent table was celebrating a brithday and inadvertenly ordered the exact same menu and fully agreed. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointsMrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 2/6/2014Always excellent food, and service. The wine list continues to surprise with a broad range at a great price point. Truly, my favorite French restaurant. Romantic, comfortable, seductive. The lighting, the decor, the professional service, & the nods to formal dining (napkin rings) in an otherwise relaxed setting, all come together to enhance the the amazing food. The food. The food. The food. Order the Rossini, as rare as you dare. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had to wait more than anJhans1VIPDined on 2/1/2014We had to wait more than an hour for our table. But the food was really great so I'll give that place the benefit of the doubt and hope that usually, it is better organized!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The only complaint I haveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014The only complaint I have is that the restaurant didn't stick to the reservation time. Of course it was very busy during Super bowl weekend but we got seated one hour after the scheduled time.Special Features:
- Cozy spot on Bond St.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/1/2014After reading a reviews in NY Times, Yelp and Opentable we decided to make a reservation here during our visit with family. The manager was pleasant, accommodating and sat us only a short while after our appointment. The server was very attentive and suggested a nice bordeaux at a reasonable price which we ended up ordering two more bottles. Started with terrine and the radishes for the table. The terrine was delicious and authentic, although, we wish it had come with extra toast. The radishes seemed a bit unimaginative and boring. Appetizers took over 30 min but entrees were timed appropriately. Half portion of ravioli for starters with the duck as an entree. Both were divine. Will definitely be back to try other items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New FrenchFoodieNYC22Dined on 1/31/2014This dinner reminded me of a French bistro but made for New York. We had each classic French dish wih an updated twist. Had the mussels, frog legs, blanquette de veau, and duck lo range. All were memorable. And two plates of bread and butter which may have trumped the entire meal. I would go back just for that alone. The service was okay- not ridiculously amazing but not bad- I'll be back.Special Features:
- Neighborhood French Bistro.BDG111750Dined on 1/26/2014Neighborhood French Bistro. Staff friendly and knowledgable. Food well prepared with standard bistro food, with "twist".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just sort of happened intoAngieVIPDined on 1/26/2014We just sort of happened into this little French bistro and were truly surprised by how terrific it is. Excellent new spin on classic French dishes in a comfortable setting for a great price.
- An excellent meal and great servicenonameDined on 1/24/2014We had a terrific dinner here. The duck was the very best I've ever had and the pumpkin soup was excellent. I recommended this to my brother who lives nearby and would recommend it to anyone. We wanted a French meal at moderate price and this was a perfect choice.Special Features:
- Seriously good French foodSeriouseaterDined on 1/24/2014We ate in some fine French restaurants during a visit to Paris in the fall, but the duck a l'orange and blanquette de veau at Le Philosophe were equal to the best we had in Paris. If you like quiet, as we do, the trick is to book an early reservation.Special Features:
- Late Night GemInstafoodieVIPDined on 1/19/2014It's hard to find a decent restaurant that serves past 10pm and Le Philosophe never disappoints. A bit noisy on weekends but food and ambiance make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2014Our waiter got nothing more than a good-looking face, unfortunately that's not what we came there for. Everything served very slowly, and the waiter always forgot what we asked for, and it's even hard for us to find him when we needed something, other waiters had to cover for him with an unpleaseant face, clearly our waiter did his job poorly.Special Features:
- Not really duck a l'orangeNathanGVIPDined on 1/18/2014We went to this restaurant mainly because the duck a l'orange was highly recommended. The two appetizers we had, frog legs and the bone marrow were fantastic. The duck however was very disappointing. All we got were two smallish slices of duck. And very little besides. The two slices of duck were just not enough and were not representative of the typical duck a l'orange. We had to order additional food so we did not have to leave hungry. Sliced duck pieces just doesn't do it for us when you expect a more substantial portion. In addition the duck meat itself was just not good enough "orangy" to justify the name of "l'orange", though I must say we found two tiny slivers of orange pieces under the duck.Special Features:
- Really liked itOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/15/2014We enjoyed the food at Le Philosophe - it's great to have a place where the classic french dishes are revived expertly. I had Tournedos Rossini and my husband ordered Lobster Thermidore, both were excellent. Our friends both had chicken and liked it. They had a good wine selections and service was great. I do have to note that it was too noisy for our taste and we had to shout and struggle to hear the people across the table, and we were seated in a corner by the window, which was probably one of the quieter spots. The fold was worth it, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurant. OriginalOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/11/2014Excellent restaurant. Original food, great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding FoodBigBri1988VIPDined on 1/11/2014The food here was amazing, and the service was great. We had a 6:30pm reservation, and by 7:15pm the dining room was completely packed. It's a bit small, so it gets pretty loud and is probably best for small parties. And one thing to note is that there is not a full bar, just beer and wine (but there is plenty of wine to choose from - by the glass, half bottles and full bottles).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well deserved 5 stars as alwaysMichaelHDined on 1/5/2014Sent many friends and family, and not a complaint yet. I was there again Sunday night and the staff was always professional, and the food and wine was absolutely great AGAIN. Definitely a place to go to impress your date like I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic FrenchHumbug311VIPDined on 1/4/2014Expertly prepared renditions of Classic French dishes, all reasonably priced with an accompanying well-selected as reasonably priced wine list. I enjoyed Le Philosophe much better than Lafayette,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New YearsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/31/2013We've been to Le Philosophe several times and this time was for New Years Eve. The food was wonderful as usual, and everyone was in a very festive but still very attentive mood. We had a great start here to 2014!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealBobB1Dined on 12/26/2013We live nearby and tried this Friday night. We were not disappointed. Main dishes, duck and monk fish were excellent. Appetizers, terrine and mussels, were also very good. Very affordable wine list and excellent service.Special Features:
- So happy we wentqueenieDined on 12/26/2013Food was absolutely delicious. Had 3 people in my party, and there was not 1 disappointment ordered between the 3 of us. Especially outstanding, the surprising presentation of the frogs legs, the duck and the lobster thermador, which was so much lighter than 1 would expect. Service was warm & knowledgeable. Affordable wine list, too. All around most pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've eaten here twice. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/23/2013I've eaten here twice. Great food, lovely service.Special Features:
- Great BistroDavidlillianVIPDined on 12/22/2013This bistro on a lovely street in lower Manhattan is one of a few French bistros that opened this year. They are all very good but in our opinion the food here is the best. We had mussels and oysters (kunamotos) fow appetizers and chestnut ravioli and roast chicken for main courses. We shared the profiteroles which are superb. Every course was excellent. For wine we had a bottle of gruner vetliner which was excellent and modestly priced. Management here is very nice and service excellent. It is loud but a small inconvenience when eating such good food. Highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time at Philsophe!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/21/2013My wife and I arrived to Philosophe and were greeted warmly by the maitre d'. The mood in the restaurant was vibrant as all of the tables were full at 9:15. Though it was full, the smallish space didn't feel overcrowded. Our server did a great job explaining the dishes, recommending the incredibly delicious Chestnut Ravioli as a starter. The Duck L'Orange was cooked perfectly, as was my wife's steak. Overall, a tremendous experience...thank you to other reviewers who helped us make the decision to attend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go backfayetown76VIPDined on 12/18/2013Maybe we hit an off night, but found the food only fair and the service generally inept. The vibe is less cozy bistro than an industrial space. Overall really underwhelming. On the bright side, was not too expensive.
- Great Place in East VillageVinzinhoDined on 12/14/2013Great romantic french cuisine place in the East Village. Reservations apparently a must. The Flat Iron was simply delicious and they start bottles (red wine) at 19 dollars. I would definitely come back and recommend to anyone who is looking for great but affordable farm to table food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/7/2013My first review on open table had to be for le philosophe! My friends and I cannot stop raving about the food. I'm not sure how they make the mushrooms but they are a MUST! The duck I had was spectacular and everyone in my party said their food was topnotch as well. The service was impeccable - honestly, a great dining experience from start to finish!!Special Features:
- Consistently goodIZ817VIPDined on 12/5/2013one of my favorite restaurants since it opened. exceptional service - come here twice in a month and the entire staff from owners to waitstaff remembers you and specific things you order or like. food is very good although many of my favorites from when they first opened are no longer on the menu (e.g. bacon-veiled salmon) which is a shame because the replacements are not as fabulous but still v. good. their wine list is fantastic and VERY reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Our first time at Le Philosophe--anBonnieVIPDined on 12/5/2013Our first time at Le Philosophe--and we'll return. We began with wines by the glass: a generous pour. We shared raw oysters and then we each had a main course: monkfish and flat iron steak. We would order everything exactly the same again. too bad that we had no room for dessert. Bond Street is becoming the 46th St. of NoHo. So many restaurants to choose from--but don't miss Le Philosophe.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quelle Répas Superbe!StephenDined on 12/4/2013My wife and I had never ventured down to the lower reaches of Manhattan but the reviews for Le Philosophe were so good that we decided to give it a try. In a word, it was absolutely superb! I had theTournedos Rossini and never in my entire culinary experience have I ever enjoyed this particular dish as much as the one that I had at Le Philosophe. The filet itself, the foie gras, and particularly the sauce would all have done great credit to Monsieur Escoffier in his prime. I (we) shall endeavour to return to this gem of a restaurant whenever possible in the future.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationJoniDined on 12/2/2013This was my first visit to this restaurant-it will not be my last. The ambience was wonderful but the food was outstanding. I ordered the lobster themidor it was delicious. I do not see this dish in French restaurants anymore and that is too bad. The service was also very attentive. I highly recommend this wonderful restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Party of ThreeFoodieDined on 11/28/2013This is our third time at Le Philosophe and we will keep coming back! The service is awesome and the food outstanding! The Tournedos are to die for!! The food is "clean" meaning it doesn't have the added MSG, etc. so you feel good after eating there and look good the next morning without the swollen eyes, etc. It has a very good wine list with a good range of prices for quality choices. The staff is wonderful and knowledgeable. What a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We loved our dining experience...thFridaDined on 11/28/2013We loved our dining experience...the food was excellent in both quality and preparation. We had never been before and I found it when looking for a place for Thanksgiving dinner. They offered Nicolas Breed (heritage) turkey which was absolutely amazing (I don't , as a rule, like conventional turkey) and our sides and dessert were incredible-- the flavors of each course were unique and delicious--not showy but really harmonious and textured. Special note: As foodies who choose not to drink, we were glad to have several amazing non-alcoholic choices of beverages.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/22/2013The staff are accommodating, friendly, efficient and warm. They were able to adjust our table to include an additional diner and didn't blink an eye when the additional person cancelled at the last minute. The food was great (I had the monk fish which was tender with just the right amount of Szechuan peppercorn to give it a lovely, flavorful punch) and delightfully not too heavy while maintaining its richness. It is an open space so the sound levels can get lively. I will definitely return to Le Philosophe and recommend it to othersSpecial Features: