109 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://harlownyc.com/
- Phone: 2129356600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday 11:45am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday- Saturday 5:45pm - 10:30pm
Parlor: Tuesday- Saturday 4:30 - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Rick Liang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harlow
Harlow focuses on global cuisine inspired by flavors from around the world, the menu offers a tasteful emphasis on seafood. Dishes include: Frito Misto featuring king crab leg, calamari, scallops, shrimp and seasonal vegetables; Crispy Baby Octopus with fava beans, chanterelles and pesto; Halibut with a spicy miso glaze and squash in a smoky soy broth; Fisherman’s Stew; and a full raw bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harlow reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (24)special occasion (23)hot spot (19)fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (16)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (14)good for groups (7)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Special PlaceOlympianDined on 11/9/2013Heard a lot about Harlow beforehand and found the dining experience to be delightful. Entering the restaurant the first room encountered is the bar area. It is definitely buzzing with a positive energy. Upon entering the dining room area, it was surprisingly quiet and visually sensational. There is plenty of space between tables and tastefully appointed decor. The food was very good. The appetizer portions were large and delicious; the entrées just the right portion and flavorful. The wine list is very extensive and very reasonably priced (relative to other restaurants).Special Features:
- Too loudCoopDined on 11/8/2013The food and service were very nice, but the noise was extremely loud. It was difficult to hear the person next to you.Special Features:
- DeliciousSettVIPDined on 11/7/2013We went for dinner and everything was so tasty and the service was incredible. Recommended for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service and food was outstanding!!!PdeutschDined on 11/7/2013Great place to come early for your dinner reservation and enjoy a few drinks in the bar. It's a little loud in the bar and resturant but definitely has a fun vibe. The architecture is old and beautiful! Great find in NYC!!! Definitely would dine there againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is DreadfulRandolphVernonVIPDined on 11/6/2013This is my second visit. The space is exciting, and in both restaurant visits, the food has been surprisingly good. Complex flavors, cooked perfectly. But also in both visits, the service has been dreadful. Both visits were business lunches with clients. In our previous visit, the waiter acted like a clown and introduced himself and told us about his background and aspirations. We were in a business lunch - we don't care. In this visit, the hostess was away and we stood at the podium for 5 minutes while waiters looked on at us and did nothing. Finally she emerged and sat us. Our waiter was never around, and when he did visit us, he lingered and was in our face asking inane questions and interrupting our conversation.Special Features:
- This restaurant is only goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/5/2013This restaurant is only good for drinks -the food was awful-our waitress was so slow.Special Features:
- Very underwhelming.ChowzerDined on 11/1/2013Quality of food was not great. Cesar salad was soggy and awful. Ordered a dish and specifically asked it to be prepared without clams. After a 5 minute minute conversation with the waiter the dish was presented with clams as the main ingredient. Waited 15 minutes for a new dish, no adjustment to our bill offered. Would have been nice to at least been offered a "desert or coffee on the house" Groovy and trendy but there are hipper spots with better food.Special Features:
- Harlow is HipArtdealerDined on 11/1/2013This place looks like the set from a 1930's Busby Berkeley movie. You expect to see Jean Harlow herself sashay in. The hostesses are gorgeous and the food is exceptional. Only negative - very expensive. Dress to impress, the crowd is as hip as the room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New up and coming hot spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/31/2013Friendly service. Lively bar scene. Quality food and appetizers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveGaelleDined on 10/26/2013Great Devore and bar scene but the wine prices are insanely expensive for the quality provided. The restaurant in general was way too expensive.Special Features:
- Fun place, older crowd than before?foodieoftheworldDined on 10/22/2013This was my second time to Harlow. To qualify, I loved it the first time, so this is only negative in comparison - overall, though, I really like this place for dinner and drinks. The food was as good as I remembered, though the sea urchin & king crab pasta that I'd loved so much the first time and had recommended to my friend was too citrus-y and lacked any sea urchin flavour, sadly - still tasted pretty good anyway. The actual service of the waitstaff was decent to good, but the hostesses were snootier than I'd remembered...it's New York, so I guess they felt that was necessary. The NV, which I'd had a couple of the first time, wasn't as good as it was then, won't be ordering it next time, will just stick to the wine :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was my second time diningtlr1028Dined on 10/22/2013This was my second time dining at Harlow. The overall service ranged from awful to good. Our waiter did nothing to enhance the dining experience. He was simply an order taker. The food and ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Horribly Noisy!3GenNYerDined on 10/17/2013at 6pm ish - and background music was playing - come on! chose this for a first date - mistake expensive and overrated!
- Fun time and delicious foodDmosleyDined on 10/15/2013The halibut was absolutely delicious. Very cool restaurant. The only downside is the noise level. Definitely worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a beautiful spaceCphnycVIPDined on 10/11/2013This is a beautiful space and the food is very good but it is small portions and the music is deafening!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time in my life an OctopusMumaVIPDined on 9/27/2013First time in my life an Octopus dish is terrible: Over fried, awful texture, lack of flavor. The Scallops were on the other hand were delicious. The lounge area is more attractive.Special Features:
- Great space, food needs improvementNextDoorBusinessmanVIPDined on 9/24/2013Chinese chicken salad gave bland a bad name. Had it twice, no more. Chicken Paillard was good to very good Space is great, fun, staff very nice, but person responsible for lunch food quality needs to be given consequences for most dishes being so mediocre. Have eaten there at night (two months ago) and found bar meno and dinner food also mediocre (Vongole and a sashmi appetizer dish were exceptions, quite good)Special Features:
- a bit too noisy, but otherwise-dakappa13VIPDined on 9/17/2013good food and dreat wine selection would come back. Went for dinner but its more of a place to be at the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We're is a managerJaclyn2310Dined on 9/14/2013Food was good not great! But the service was horrible!! All the staff looked like they did not want to be there and none of them looked like they had any kind of restaraunt experience. And there was no manger on the floor just two very pretty hostesses but no nolage of the food game!! Will not be going back
- Beautiful room and barNYCrighthandVIPDined on 9/11/2013This is a really beautiful venue with good food, perfect for a ladies night out dinner or couples dinner. I will definitely be returning.Special Features:
- InterestingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/9/2013Great space, interesting menu, rookie service. Get the service right and they'll have something here.
- ridiculously overpriced forKennyVIPDined on 9/4/2013ridiculously overpriced for tiny portions...28 dollars for a small appetizer and 40 for Halibut...no one gets that and ther portion was under 3 ounces..very very noisy room..bad experience..never go back
- Expensive, but portions are smallMVresidentVIPDined on 8/30/2013Room is extremely nice. Food was well prepared and delicately flavored. But portions were extraodinarily small.
- Nice place but a but priceyCityGirlDinningVIPDined on 8/30/2013The restaurant is beautiful. The food and service are very good but prices are a little high.Special Features:
- Portions too small for the priceMattDined on 8/28/2013I had the lobster tail for $41. While it tasted great, for that amount I should've got an entire lobster -- the portions were unfortunately meager. Additionally, the service was subpar. We ordered three espressos at the end of the meal which took nearly 15 minutes to come out. Nice location, but too pricey for the service and portions.
- Great Space, Average OtherwiseRandolphVernonVIPDined on 8/28/2013The space is quite impressive and in the evening, is probably quite romantic and compelling. Our server was amateurish and annoying. My partner from Europe was visiting, and we were attempting a business discussion, but the server constantly interrupted us and made the lunch all about him. He regularly tried to chat with us, asked us about our business, and challenged us that a certain desert was so good it would make us cry and "we would owe him." This would be fine at a Chili's or Applebee's but in an elegant restaurant like Harlow, we expect the service to be silent and professional. The food was average. The fish was soggy and greasy, and the spinach salad was drowning in oil. We ordered a dozen oysters and received 11.
- Really pretty place! And theAMEPVIPDined on 8/20/2013Really pretty place! And the food was a pleasant surprise. Everything was delicious! Especially the wine and the Nodi Marini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful renovation of amconVIPDined on 8/20/2013Beautiful renovation of a space with a troubled history; very nice menu and excellent service. My only criticism is that there are too many low couches and too few chairs in the front room and it's a bit uncomfortable reaching the table if you are not seated in a chair.Special Features:
- Good food, service so-soDepperDined on 8/17/2013Beautiful restaurant and very good food. The service needs improvement, our waiter was not attentive for a party of 4. The restaurant looks beautiful, and the cocktail lounge is very peaceful and classy...and great bartender too!Special Features:
- Also a great place at lunchrustyVIPDined on 8/13/2013Also a great place at lunch to have a busines meeting. Amazing food and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New and BeautifulNinathelawyerVIPDined on 8/10/2013Exceptionally beautiful space. Great drinks. Good food. Noise levels can be a real issue, so stand warned. We came late, place was about half filled and still very noisy. Loved the do-it-yourself sundae.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best looking people in NYCOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/6/2013Seen & be seen best place of 2013 NYC. Cocktails are unique and original. Appetizers are very nice. Enjoy beautiful space and people. Must see it before holidays.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noise at an earth quaking level?PatsyDined on 8/6/2013Dessert...we were about to ask for the check , when the waiter brought out a birthday surprise dessert that I had forgotten I had arranged for , for my husband........very nice.......however the noise was driving us out of the place...the food was o.k. But not worth the trip!...then again the crowd was young ( we are not) and HIP,!...../again food just O.K. !Special Features:
- Not the bestSteeleVIPDined on 7/30/2013Staff was nice. Food was simply awful. Gorgeous space.
- After reading some of theYammerVIPDined on 7/27/2013After reading some of the reviews I was nervous about this choice. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by the food (both quality and quantity) and the friendliness of the all the staff (from hostesses to bartenders to waiters). Overall a very good experience.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionSkf099Dined on 7/27/2013Great Ambiance , pricey but excellent food! The homemade gelato is off the charts!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/26/2013Nicely decorated restaurant. Bit pricey for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expensive, but beautifulkcc115VIPDined on 7/24/2013The decor and design of the restaurant is, I think, the real draw here, as it is truly a stunningly beautiful restaurant. The waitstaff were all very courteous and we were well taken care of. The food, however, while "good", was really nothing outstanding, and the portions were less than generous for the extremely high prices. I asked to have shrimp added to my already $17 salad at lunch, and was shocked to discover that they had added $12 to our bill for the addition. Again, it wasn't bad, just nothing I'd need to revisit. The french fries my dining partner and I shared were abysmal though - how can you mess up french fries?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow Business LunchRicecakeooDined on 7/17/2013Went to Harlow based on a client's request since she had read reviews and wanted to try it out. We were there for lunch so what we had for food was relatively simple - salads & sandwiches, they were fine. The price point and the offerings were good. However, the service was slow. Since it was a business meeting this gave us plenty of time to talk - but almost too much time. After we were sat we waited we had to call over a server to take our drink orders. Then after waiting a long time - call her over to take our lunch order. She didn't return until we called her over again for the check. It was a nice ambience but having to manage our server to serve us when the restaurant itself was fairly empty was a downer.
- Tried it and loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2013I read tons of reviews about this restaurant before embarking in my dinner with family and friends, some reviews were somewhat poor and I was kind of afraid because I was really looking forward to a special night and dinner. I followed my instinct and decided to give it a try... at the end the worst it could happen was that I would not return... I have to say that I was very IMPRESSED and PLEASED with the restaurant, its bar, its decor, its service and great food!! AAA++ it is a definite must try in NY just like other high-end restaurants. Value for the dinner was fair including wine. The bar scene is very handsome and drinks very good. Keep your eyes open of known visitors :) This restaurant now became part of my come-back list. Great job.Special Features: