109 East 56th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://harlownyc.com/
- Phone: 2129356600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday- Friday 11:45am-2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday- Saturday 5:45pm - 10:30pm
Parlor: Tuesday- Saturday 4:30 - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Rick Liang
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Harlow
Harlow focuses on global cuisine inspired by flavors from around the world, the menu offers a tasteful emphasis on seafood. Dishes include: Frito Misto featuring king crab leg, calamari, scallops, shrimp and seasonal vegetables; Crispy Baby Octopus with fava beans, chanterelles and pesto; Halibut with a spicy miso glaze and squash in a smoky soy broth; Fisherman’s Stew; and a full raw bar.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Harlow reviews from OpenTable diners
53 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
romantic (23)special occasion (21)hot spot (18)fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (14)great for lunch (13)good for groups (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (3)Show More
- Not for BrunchMissPrissie711Dined on 3/16/2014It seems this place is more for nightlife than Sunday BrunchSpecial Features:
- Best meal I have had in a long timeLisaVIPDined on 3/15/2014I went to Harlow on Saturday night. Everything was excellent from start to finish. I definitely will be returning!
- Harlow for dinnerScaryChoeVIPDined on 3/14/2014Romantic ambiance with elegant art deco decor in the bar area. Staff was friendly. Dining room also elegant. The lobster mac n cheese was absolutely delicious as was the bay scallops. Would definitely recommend and come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First class experienceMicaelaDined on 3/11/2014Beautiful room. Delicious room. Elegant and modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for business dinnersnycdinerVIPDined on 3/10/2014Harlow is a great experience: the space is grand, service is friendly and food tasty. we had the seafood platter to start which was amazing and then everyone got a different fish dish. the dishes are quite small (for the price) but very well put together. the only complaint is that we wanted a bottle of white wine moderately priced (hard to find to begin with) and they were out of the first few we asked for, that said, i would definitely go back.
- Good service, food marginal, priceyWardsr22Dined on 3/8/2014Attentive staff, nice atmosphere, but food was only marginal. Wine was way over priced at over $70 a bottle. Not worth the extra investment. Had a nice time but don't think I would go back.Special Features:
- Great ambiance!CarolinaCDined on 3/6/2014It is a hidden place on 56, very intimate, romantic and with great decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awfulOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/28/2014I had the seafood stew. the menu was totally false. it said a lobster tail was included. All that was included was a small piece of lobster I could barely find less than a bite. It said clams and scallops and there were very few clams and one small scallop but plenty of mussels which were not on the menu. I complained as soon as the meal came and the waiter indicated he would get the manager. The manager did not show up until after the check was paid and I was on my way out the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great place for lunchSenZhangDined on 2/28/2014Food is in great quality, as well as properly quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Harlow experience was grand!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/27/2014My Harlow experience was grand! When you walk through the doors it feels like your back in the heydays of the Gatsby era. The food was delicious and the service superb! I would definately recommend Harlow to family and friends who are seeking a new and exciting food experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hip Eastside Scene -Beautiful DecorLiskaDined on 2/25/2014It's all about the lively scene and the elegant, beautiful setting. It is unique; reminds me of days when New York was full of fun elegant places where all ages could enjoy. I would definitely return. The food was good although not "Haute Cuisine". If you are a foodie you could probably get a much better meal for the price - It is on the expensive side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just lovelyDianeNYDined on 2/17/2014The restaurant was a very special place to eat. The service was outstanding, The food was served beautifully. However, if not served in that spectacular surrounding, would be too expensive for a non-business or special occasion lunch for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 2/15/2014Beautiful dining room and the food was delicious. Just be prepared to pay more for the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Dining ExperienceILovegoodfoodDined on 2/13/2014This place was great... The crude's were amazing ... The pasta with sea urchin and king crab was out of this world... I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a great meal.Special Features:
- Food is excellent, décor wonderful,Love2eatVIPDined on 2/11/2014Food is excellent, décor wonderful, noise level to loud to have dinner conversation at a normal levelSpecial Features:
- My new Favorite Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/6/2014Food was absolutely amazing, my scallops were melting in my mouth, branzino was perfect. I will definitely be back often to try all of the dishes from the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocreHallwayDined on 2/4/2014The atmosphere looked so promising!! Loved that the menu was so simple. But the food (I had mussels, my husband had halibut) was really bland. Service was with a smile and well intended but not very professional. Noisy. Lots of room for improvement- hope they pull it off.Special Features:
- Harlow surprisesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Spacious - excellent service and great food. A Good value for the neighberhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- From Drinks to DinnerMoniqueVIPDined on 1/25/2014This restaurant and bar are stunning! I went for drinks and came back for dinner two nights later. I requested on my reservation to sit in a banquette and they obliged. The hostesses are very friendly. I was a little hesitant about the food based on some of the recent reviews because my husband is a very demanding, picky diner but he enjoyed it. Phew! I think all the food is good. They could put less dressing on the salad. The service was friendly and prompt. Wine selection good. Champagne nice and cold. Music great and not too loud. A very nice evening. I'll definitely go back and recommend to friends.Special Features:
- ExceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/24/2014The space is magnificent and the staff is exceptional. They remembered that I had a shellfish allergy and made celebrating a birthday very special This is Ritchie Notars gemSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favoritesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/23/2014Been here a few times, and I just love it. Great ambience if you do not want to deal with 20 year old kids. Great food and service. Can't ask for more.Special Features:
- Almost thereJustFolksVIPDined on 1/18/2014Wonderful service and ambiance, but the food, though very good, is not quite as outstanding as everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive ambiance! FoodArianaDined on 1/17/2014Impressive ambiance! Food was hit or miss. We ordered the man cheese and caeser salad as appetizers. The pasta was cooked perfectly al Dente and there were plenty if chunks of lobster but when my husbands duck pasta entree came there was only a few small pieces of duck and the pasta tasted like rubber. My salmon was under-cooked but flavorful. Brussels sprouts were good. The place. Harlow needs some tweeking but in the food department but a great scene overall.Special Features:
- Lovely room, so-so food.asdalDined on 1/17/2014A disappointing meal in a nice looking room. Poorly seasoned dishes, appetizer of baby octopus had little taste while their most popular pasta dish was heavily oversalted. Wait staff were harried and erratic, one saying to us early in the meal "have a nice weekend". Our bottle of wine was kept on a table in the middle of the room, making it difficult to refill our glasses. Very noisey even at table farthest from bar scene. Go for drinks not dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful place in Midtown!JuperiusVIPDined on 1/15/2014Had a fabulous dinner here where everything from the décor, food, and service exceeded my expectations. This is a great place in Midtown and will be my new spot for after work drinks and a perfect place to take clients to as it's close to where I work! Keep up the good work Harlow!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmospheremb22Dined on 1/11/2014I come here because the restaurant is pretty. The food is average - but the whole vibe - having drinks before dinner in the beautiful lounge and then the main dining room are both great. I have had a few different things here and I think the best thing I have had are the pastas and the salmon. I was underwhelmed by all of the salads and also by the octopus appetizer and the branzino. I find it odd that such a great restaurant can butcher a ceaser salad. That said, I will be back for cocktails and basic fare.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food not up to the atmosphereFoodieVIPDined on 1/11/2014Went on Saturday night, the restuarant 1/3 full but bar room hopping. The room is very elegant but the prices and service do not match the fairly mediocre food. Bridge and Tunnel crowd and lots of tourists. Save you money and get a table at the bar and have a drink and head down to another restuarant for dinner.Special Features:
- Quiet place for a midtownPegNYCVIPDined on 1/7/2014Quiet place for a midtown business lunch, although the breeze from the entrance on a cold day was bracing and background music is a bit louder than would be my preference. Food is good and nicely presented. It took a bit of time to get the server's attention for the check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bland & boringOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/4/2014We thought Harlow was going to be a bold and ûber retro door into the glamorous 30s and 40s. It was nothing like this. Harlow, though beautifully designed (except for the cantina looking chairs) lacks every sense of athmosphere, it is bland and boring. The staff is the same, bland and disinterested. The food, likewise. In order to survive, this place needs a new management, somebody with a vision to create a fantasy that feels real. Something of the same that Balthazar and Tao have managed in their own very different ways. An escape into another world. People won't pay this much for food if the food isn't excellent and if it isn't surrounded by an exciting athmosphere.
- classy but welcomingst23VIPDined on 12/23/2013Just went to Harlow for a business lunch and had a great experience. The food was delicious, and service was on point. It’s convenient for those that work in Midtown but want to avoid the crowds near Rockefeller. The decor is very unique, and it seemed like a lot of thought was put into the overall ambiance. Very classy, but welcoming, place. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special ExperienceMev11Dined on 12/20/2013From the moment you enter, you know this will be a unique and special experience. The scenery, of the physical space and classy well dressed staff, sets the stage for a dining experience that is exquisite. The food, service and acoustics are outstanding and make for delicious, well accommodated and comfortable dining. The prices are reasonable especially for a special occasion or date night when you expect to splurge a little. Do it! You will be glad you did!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch leaves something to be desiremissleonycVIPDined on 12/20/2013Drinks at Harlow are great, but the lunch menu is limited and not particularly good.
- I was exploited at the barRussDined on 12/17/2013I felt exploited that I ordered two drinks and a glass of red wine at the bar before dinner, and saw that they charged $22 for the wine alone - outrageous! it came out to $54.44 for these 3 drinks, plus tip. I will not patronize Harlow again as a result of this.Special Features:
- Not worth goingFoodie101VIPDined on 12/16/2013No need to go Less than fair Went with 6 other people that we did not know that well that's why we did net send everything back and leave Had the strip steak which was beyond tough and bland Would not go back
- DeceptiveFoodloverDined on 12/16/2013A friend had recommended the restaurant and we were very much looking forward to eating there but were dissapointed not only by the poor service but also by the mediocre food.Special Features:
- HorribleEstebanVIPDined on 12/11/2013Tiny portions. Tiny Super expensive. "lamb chops" were One, very very small. Martinis were all icecubes and micro pour. So bad I actually called and complained the next day, a first in 25 years. They promised a manager would call bsck. Which did not happen.
- Stick with dinner hereDinerVIPDined on 12/10/2013Great for dinner but disappointing for lunch. The dining room is closed and the bar space is available for seating. The food was mediocre and by 2:30 the staff was visibly urging our departure - turning off lights, clearing all tables. Not a repeat event for lunch. To be fair, our dinner experience here a few weeks ago was great. Excellent food, better service, better ambience. Also, the dining room which is unavailable for lunch is a beautiful spot for dinner.
- AVOIDOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/2/2013Rez for 10:30p. Requested Amex Platinum Concierge (who made the reservation on our behalf) to notify restaurant arrival would be 10:45p. Double checked restaurant’s hours. Website: “DINNER SEATING: 5:45pm – 11pm Monday through Saturday” Restaurant responded: “10:30 pm is the absolute last seating for the evening. They went on to state that any arrivals after 10:30 pm will be seated at the discretion of the Maitre d'.” After receiving email, telephoned Amex. Amex called the restaurant and emailed: “they again said their last seating was at 10:30PM and that the website is a typo.” A typo? AVOID. There are lots of better—and more accommodating—late-night restaurants in New York.
- One of my favorite places!ZineVIPDined on 12/2/2013Harlow has everything I'm looking for in a great dining experience - beautiful decor, great vibe, delicious food, and considerate service. We sat at the bar in the front room first. The Lucy was dangerously good! The bartender was spot on with his recommendation, which I appreciated. Food was out of this world - octopus app, pasta with crab, branzino, banana dessert - I highly recommend all these dishes! Again, we asked the server for what she liked and she steered us right. Prices are very reasonable given the high quality of the food and service. Other restaurants in the area are comparable in price - the Modern, Nobu, etc. - but I liked Harlow better for its ambiance, service, and food.Special Features:
- A hot spotBroadbrookVIPDined on 11/30/2013Harlow has a vibrant (some might say overheated) bar sceen that can make you forget there is a really quality restaurant beyond the bar. Given teh Nobu credentials of the staff it is no surprise that the fish is especially excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.