John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
1 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnharvards.com/
- Phone: 5088752337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Juan Mejia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We thank you for your interest in John Harvard"s Brewery Private Dining! Our crowd-pleasing offerings are a delicious, convenient way to entertain large gatherings of 10 people or more in any setting. Whether planning a fun social event at home or an important business function at your office, John Harvard's is the perfect way to enjoy large-party portions of your hand-prepared dishes. John Harvard's function menu offers easy-to-order menu combinations as well as a variety of our favorite foods a la carte. We offer everything from exciting appetizers to our signature spent grain pizzas,comfort food, fresh salads, pastas and brewhouse favorites, specialty entrees to our current list of beer. Additionally, our team is happy to create a customized menu for private beer dinners and an insight on beer brewing by our brewer director and our executive chef.
- Private Party Contact: Bob Scott 5088752337
A word from John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
Home of Framingham’s Award-Winning Brews John Harvard’s Framingham has a long list of award-winning brews, a casual family-friendly atmosphere and a large private dining room for special events and meetings. Stop by to watch a game in the pub area, sample one of our medal-contender beers on tap or cask, and try a premium burger or spent grain pizza made from the brewing grains. Great Comfort Food menu selection with Chicken Pot Pie winning many awards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)neighborhood gem (8)great for lunch (7)fit for foodies (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- A&R at John Harvardsaepman1234Dined on 3/15/2014Service was assume, server very friendly. Only problem was that my wife received french fries instead of the salad she asked for. She did not want to switch do to time constraints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft BeersWildaDined on 3/14/2014John Harvards is a great little brewery and resturant all in one. The brew the beer onsite an have much of the equipment exposed for the customers to see. Craft beer list is extensive and rotates with the seasons. Worth a try if you are out shopping in Shoppers World, where the establishment is located, and you want to grab a quick bite to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchGoodyDined on 3/6/2014The pulled pork sandwich was great as were the sweet potatoe fries. Fast service made my lunch meeting go very well and didn't keep my client out past an hour. Thanks JH!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Servicezamboni03Dined on 3/1/2014Had a 7 PM reservation, arrived at 6:45 and didn't get seated until 7:30. My major complaint about the wait was that even though we put a reservation through opentable, when we arrived we were put at the end of the line regardless. Next was our issues with food we didn't receive our food until another hour, and all we ordered was a salad (with grilled chicken), buffalo wings, and a kids order of chicken fingers. Hard to imagine the order taking more than 10 minutes to cook, 30 minutes at most. Then when the food was delivered, the buffalo wings were cold and had been sitting so long the wing sauce solidified. Not very happy about a 2 hour dining adventure.
- Went with two other friends,Lauren11Dined on 2/20/2014Went with two other friends, it was their first time at the restaurant, and they enjoyed it very much. The service was excellent, there was no rush and they had a table for us even though by friends were 20 minutes late. Food was excellent, definitely will be back to try the chicken pot pie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I asked you not to send emaillikemyprivacyDined on 2/19/2014I specifically asked Open Table not to send email!!! I just wanted a reservation, not an online relationship with a totally separate company. My suggestion: Don't make a reservation with Open Table, as they will stalk you even after you try to unsubscribe. I tried to call the restaurant directly for a reservation at 3 separate times of day, but no one ever answered. I made a reservation for 4 people and received email confirmation for 4, but when we were seated, the restaurant was expecting a party of 7. The food and service were decent, but nothing to write home about. I would have been quietly underwhelmed if Open Table had stopped hounding me with email.
- Nice nite outBostontoBecketDined on 2/14/2014We went with another couple on Valentine's Day, thinking it might be really crazy. It was fine. Service was great, food was great and so was the beer. Very pleased - will be back again soon.Special Features:
- Ehh MediocureAsh87Dined on 2/12/2014Every experience lies on the waiter or waitress. For this particular visit, the waiter wasn't great. Barely checked on us (and he only had about 5 tables total), I asked about a specific beer that I read the online menu specific to that location I was at and he brushed it off and didn't even go investigate for me. We both ordered SALADS...45 minutes later. This is the kitchens fault probably, unless the waiter forgot to submit our order. Everyone has their own way of interpreting a dining experience, and in my humble opinion, this wasn't great. Id give this restaurant, the dining part of the it, a 3 out of 5. Maybe we should of sat at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceKevinDined on 2/12/2014So our group is full of people who show up late even if we are on a tight schedule. Not only was the server able to put our food orders in separately she got the food to come all out once without slowing us down. Great JobSpecial Features:
- Nice place to meet a someRkymtnMBDined on 2/9/2014Nice place to meet a some friends for dinner. Not fancy. Meals were good. Some nice comfort food on the menu. Likely to be reliable. Nice beer list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DownhillMaxwellsFanVIPDined on 2/8/2014They seem to have gone downhill and we won't be back. Crispadella was tasteless, the fries were dry and the pulled pork sandwich was meh.
- great brew!ThomasDined on 2/7/2014It's a great restaurant for the beer addicts and they brew their own beer on the spot so it's really fresh. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We just moved to the areaTracyDined on 1/25/2014We just moved to the area and have been trying some of the different restaurants on this road. Of the ones we tried so far, this one is the best! Food was great! All 4 of us LOVED each dinner. Price was pretty good- 4 of us total with tax and tip was 110, which means we each spent about $27. Not bad considering we all ordered an alcoholic drink and we ordered 2 desserts to share. Waiter was very good, friendly and quick. Definitely will take another trip there! :)Special Features:
- After work meet up.NikroblesDined on 1/24/2014Perfect place to meet up with friends after work. Great beer selection, tasty apps, courteous service. My group ordered sandwiches and salads and they were all great. I asked our hostess if we could sit in a booth for 6 (we were only 4) in case more co-workers showed up and she was more than happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Craft BeerCraftbrewloverDined on 1/11/2014Love the variety and quality of their own craft beer. Food pairings were delicious. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently a good experiencebw1000Dined on 1/4/2014John Harvard's always delivers a good experience, very nice staff, excellent beer, and consistently good food.Special Features:
- Off the beaten pathout2dineVIPDined on 1/4/2014John Harvard's has a lot to offer with great service, a variety of menu choices and welcoming atmosphere. The beer of the week specials are always worth considering and are offered at a reduced price. Clam chowder was very tasty and creamy. The grilled swordfish was a generous portion served on top of delicious mashed potato with a slight taste of cheese. Twin sirloin with mushrooms was very good, but not very tender. The roasted potatoes and broccoli were undercooked. Our server was attentive and gave us good service. I would definitely recommend John Harvard's if you have not been there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- martini made it worthwhiletwinjulesDined on 12/31/2013we had a very enjoyable dinner, martinis were out of this world. It was a little on the slow or side and we got the feeling that some of the wait staff would rather have not been there, I guess I wouldn't either being it was New Years Eve.we had a very enjoyable dinner and we would return backSpecial Features:
- Solid fare, uneven serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/30/2013There is always something on the menu to please everyone in the group, which makes it a natural choice. However, service is typically "slow to very slow" and the last time I came with friends after the holidays, we were pretty much ignored despite the place being pretty quiet that evening and our table being courteous. I've never tipped less than 15-20% here previously, so I don't think I was "tracked" as a poor tipper--I'll just chalk it up to a bad day after a hectic holiday season. However, service here at the Framingham location (NOT at the Cambridge location, however), unfortunately, consistently fails to leave me unimpressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun atmosphere but food was just okskyriderDined on 12/28/2013salad was a bit bland and the nachos weren't anything spectacular. We'd definately go back, although would opt for burgers instead.Special Features:
- There always seems to be apickyVIPDined on 12/23/2013There always seems to be a problem. A waiter handed me the very very hot plate without warning. When I took it & exclaimed he never even apologized. My salad was served without the chicken (!) & other ingredients missing ingredients. He brought out the chicken seperately. When I asked about the missing taco & corn he was about to go Get them. I asked for a new salad all put together & then waited 20 min(!) while everyone are & finished.Special Features:
- great dinner tonightDCBurkeDined on 12/7/2013The salmon was delicious, and my husband loved the pulled pork pizza.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bar with great, attentiveMaryDined on 11/22/2013Great bar with great, attentive bartenders who keep the surface clean! Good choices of wines by the glass. The menu is a step up in quality from the usual pub type food; chicken parmesan was topped with a delicious basil pesto for a delicious surprise. The restaurant is located in a quiet outside corner of Shopper's World so there is plenty of parking. A reservation is a good idea but not necessary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the beerCraftbrewloverDined on 11/9/2013As a craft brew lover, this place was a win. We didn't have the ability to go into downtown Boston, so this location worked (free and ample parking helps!). The beer was great and the food was good too. Our two teenage kids loved it. We'll be back if we find ourselves in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical nice brewpub experienceMyOwnManVIPDined on 10/26/2013Overall and food rating is for value. Nice selection of menu items and beers. Service a little rushed but to be expected in such an environment on Sat evening. Recommend to beer aficionados (though other alcohols selection also fine) and fans of brewpub experience. Convenient if you're shopping or staying nearby.Special Features:
- My group of 4 had a fun night.RitayayaDined on 10/26/2013My group of 4 had a fun night. Watched the World Series, everyone had a good view of the TVs. The appetizers were delicious. Everything was served as requested. I asked to have a chicken breast grilled and is was crisp and moist.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fair ExperienceRose478Dined on 10/25/2013Went on a Friday evening. We were not seated for over a half hour after our reservation. Crazy atmosphere with tons and tons of people waiting for tables and hostesses seemed a bit overwhelmed. Hostess asked us what type of table we wanted and we said one in a more quiet location, but when we were seated, we were put in the same room as a private party which was in the middle of cocktail hour (20+ people standing, drinking, and having fun...very loud)...almost impossible to speak to the other person in my party. Had to ask someone IF we had a server after waiting so long at our table to order. Drinks took forever to arrive (in fact, our main courses arrived within a minute or two of getting our beers). Food just ok.
- A Great Burger!FabulousFiftyDined on 10/19/2013The restaurant was packed, which is indicative of its reputation. We were seated right away and given a perfect booth. (Others weren't so fortunate however, and were sitting in mini tables in the middle of a busy, loud room) Our waitress was very attentive despite how busy she was and the food was excellent. Had the best burger I've had in a long time! The menu is quite varied--and interesting. Their claim-to-fame is a large variety of microbrews made on site; if you're into that kind of thing, you wont be disappointed. Overall, it was a great experience and I would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Out table was ready when weyiayiaDined on 10/19/2013Out table was ready when we arrived. Server was fun, friendly and professional and did not rush us. Our selections arrived hot and coldn(salads) and all were delicious. .Special Features:
- 2 orders of hamberger. askedpickyVIPDined on 10/17/20132 orders of hamberger. asked for roll toasted which it was slightly, but the roll was the problem. very very bready & both orders it fell apart right away. meat was good. Fries when redone (1st were cool & not what we ordered) were very good. Other party had breaded cod which eh said was excellent. Beer is the thing here. lots of good selections. waitress was vaguely familiar. She had a cheat sheet(that's ok) but only 1 word to describe. great tasting offer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Helpful staffmadrikhDined on 10/12/2013We got there a bit before, so it wasn't crowded. The staff was very helpful and sat us in the quietest table as requested. Later, as it got more full, they put groups with kids as far away from us as convenient. (Which we hadn't requested.) The server was very cheerful and had beievable opinions of the options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Usually good, but a bit off of lateTeeeVIPDined on 9/26/2013John Harvard's generally offers good food, great beer selection. The chowder is one of the best around and the bread/dipping oil a great combo. This visit everything was over cooked. The medium rare burger was medium well and the slice of meatloaf was thin and dry. The Mac and cheese was just ok. This was our third visit here in three weeks since we had guests from Spain who love the beers. On each occasion the burgers were dry and just ok so something is going on in the kitchen since I have always enjoyed the burgers here's.Again great chowder and great beers, esp Harvest Spice Ale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comfort food servedout2dineVIPDined on 9/21/2013I'd recommend John Harvard's. The menu offers a lot of variety. The chicken pot pie is very good and a popular item. The parmesan encrusted chicken was good, although the basil was over powering. I asked the waiter for extra parmesan cheese and that helped. We've tried the nachos here before and it was excellent. It's enough to share with at least 3 people. If you are a beer lover they always have a large choice of featured beers available by the pint or pitcher. Come with an appetite as the meals served are generous portions. Our waiter was very friendly and gave us great service. He came by at all the right times and the food came out pretty fast. I'm sure we'll be returning again soon.Special Features:
- Good beers, food OK miss the chiliQuincy56Dined on 9/14/2013I had my heart set on the chili, but it wasn't on the menu any longer. Had the chicken pot pie which was pretty bland.Special Features:
- Excellent VarietyGaryDined on 8/27/2013The service was very friendly, and the server was extremely knowlegeable about all of the micro-brew beers being offered. The flight of 5 beer samples is the way to go, if you have trouble choosing. Being a group of 8, it was also important that they offered several vegetarian options on the menu to please everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Nice PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/17/2013There's a lot of variety on the menu here, which makes it great for groups that might have a lot of different dietary preferences. The beer is pretty great. It's a bit space, more like a beer hall. Definitely not a romantic place, but a good "regular" place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner dateOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/27/2013Recommend the Beer Sampler Was able to share, sample, compare and converse about the different beers. Good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun but greeting process is offAzoxaVIPDined on 7/22/2013We've enjoyed several evenings at the Ale House in Framingham. There is a pattern of confusion around the greeter station. It was especially bad this week, on Monday around 6:45 p.m. when it was not even crowded. We arrived (party of 2) and the host stand was empty. There was another party of two waiting who had not been addressed yet, plus several other individuals milling around who were either waiting for the rest of their party to arrive or had been told something by the staff, but hadn't been seated yet. We all stood there for at least 5 minutes while various servers and bartenders in the distance just looked at us. Someone finally came but only seated one party, while multiple others had arrived. No one could tell who was next.Special Features:
- always consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013This is a good place to go if you want something casual with a little twist to the menu choices other than the predictable hamburger fare. The table got the usual buffalo wing appetizer which has always been very good. I usually end up getting one of the specials which I did again this time. I got the blackened talapia sandwich which was very good. Very tender, not overly spiced and a generous portion. We're always glad to come here because we know we'll get a good meal here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific and always reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2013John Harvard's is a solid restaurant with a varied menu for carnivores and vegetarians alike. The service was efficient and the food very tasty.Special Features: