Slate Wine Bar
2404 Wisconsin Ave. NW
Washington, DC 20007Neighborhood:
Wine BarPrice: $30 and under
Slate Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://slatewinebar.com/
- Phone: 2023334304
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Monday-Friday: 11:30am - 4:00
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Slate Wine Bar
Slate Wine Bar + Bistro is a casual neighborhood wine bar with an emphasis on small production and sustainably produced wines from all over the world, paired with new American cuisine ranging from light snacks to three course meals. By the glass wines and bottle selections are supplemented with a range of changing features as well as house sparkling, white and red wines. Craft and premium beers and classic cocktails are also available. Space is available for private events and Slate regularly hosts its own events including wine tasting seminars, wine dinners, and beer tastings.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Slate Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Glover Park ›
Slate Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (35)fit for foodies (27)romantic (18)special occasion (14)great for brunch (9)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Give it a TrySeptemberVIPDined on 1/31/2014We went for lunch and really enjoyed the food and wine. The half sandwich or salad with soup fit us perfectly and there were plenty of excellent wine options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super tiny but quaint wineLeahVIPDined on 1/24/2014Super tiny but quaint wine bar nestled in Glover Park. Probably about 15 tables total with a small lofted upstairs. Food was great, service was fantastic and the private selection had something for everyone.Special Features:
- Overtaken by large upstairs partyLovefoodDined on 1/18/2014The ambience was great, the wine list was fabulous, especially the extensive Oregon Pinot Noir selection (we hail from the Pacific North West), hat's off to the sommelier! The food flavors were good but our entrees were both cool by the time we got them, which made them harder to enjoy because I had to eat fast to maintain any semblance of warmth! Our lovely server replaced the burnt dessert brownie with one that was delicious. We supposed that the reason for these shortcomings was the very large and busy party upstairs. We look forward to giving it another try, on a night less busy! We are not food snobs, but have traveled and eaten around the world enough to feel that our food on that night was "fair." Next time we hope "great!"Special Features:
- Ambience was rated a 3 b/cOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2014Ambience was rated a 3 b/c it was terribly cold. Upstairs seemed nice toasty. It was cold out side, but there was a door with a current covering & it still shouldn't have been that cold. Had to leave my coat on during dinner. Food & Beverage was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Attention to DetailFdKrtkWnbe33Dined on 1/16/2014I chose Slate for Restaurant Week to take C on our first date. It was definitely the right choice. When we arrived and gave the hostess/bartender the reservation information, she told us it would only be a moment while our table was being prepared and explained a few of her favorite dishes while we waited-a nice personal touch. She also offered the regular menu for us to see as well. We both selected different items for our 3 course meal and shared tastes of each, everything we ordered was exceptional. We also opted for the 3-half glass wine pairings for our courses, at $18 I thought it was a worthy add-on. This restaurant knows wine, knows good food, and knows how to put it together. It is very likely I will be back to Slate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had a great brunch hereOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 1/5/2014I had a great brunch here on a quiet Sunday afternoon. My friend had a ham and eggs breakfast sandwich with french toast for bread, which was amazing, and I had perfectly done steak and eggs. I love the restaurant's interior, and I love the food. And it's never very busy, although I can't understand why. Go here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For young folksskinnygirlVIPDined on 1/4/2014Great place to have small plates. Lots of young people. Very good food, but be careful not to order too much!Special Features:
- perfect mealSleeann24Dined on 12/31/2013had an absolute ball here on NYE. the Pre-fix menu was delicious and they accommodated a special request. the scene is fun - casual but chic - not pretentious or over the top. the food was to die for - the shrimp course we had was amazing. and even though we had 5 courses - with wine - it wasn't overly filling. it was perfect. a great deal if you ask me. service was 5-star. we'll be back for sureSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointing brunch.tulipVIPDined on 12/29/2013Very disappointing brunch. Ice cold ketchup for tepid home fries that were soft and greasy. Little ham on stale English muffin with the eggs benedict order. Server unaware of prices, menu details. Will not be back.
- Slippery Slope for SlateTiffanyVIPDined on 12/9/2013We went to try to support a neighborhood restaurant, particularly one in a location where restaurants have struggled. Much to our disappointment, our meal was mediocre at best. One entree wasn't an option for that night, and they didn't have a soup of the day. Also, bizarre to not have hot tea as an option on a cold winter night. Noise wise we were the only diners, yet the dining area was so loud as the kitchen staff and serving staff were disruptive and talking and laughing with raised voices. Total customers dining - 2. Total customers returning - 0.
- Slim pickinsDinneroutVIPDined on 11/25/2013For a wine bar, there aren't very many wines served by the glass to choose from. Also, the food is just ok. The menu looks promising, but they don't deliver.
- Great little find.HarryfVIPDined on 11/23/2013Slate is a tucked away gem. The restaurant has a small door entrance and very little store front view, thus my reference of being tucked away. Once you enter it there is only a curtain as an entrance to the bar/dining room. The bar was very inviting and would be a great neighborhood wine bar hangout. The decor is clean and sparse with hangings of old corkscrew collections. The ceiling is wood plank giving a more rustic feeling and a nice touch.. I always appreciate finding personal wine collections as they are cherished by others. The spices of the food is the key.they were not subtle, however provided unique flavors which tantalize your taste buds. Daniel, the proprietor, kept a keen eye out for quality service and customer satisfaction.Special Features:
- Latest Slate experiencemjmdcVIPDined on 10/25/2013We live in the neighborhood and REALLY want Slate to be a success. We had dinner on Friday night and it is our opinion they just can't seem to get it together. They've upgraded the kitchen team as the food is better but service was slow. My husband's mussels had good flavor, but were cold. Even the broth was at best lukewarm ...so you know they were sitting out for some serious time before the server brought our food. We waited long for them so there was no point sending them back. My rockfish, however, was good and light. The price point of the food is what you pay for a nice meal out, and we always leave finding our experience to be on the low side of average. Maybe just consider being a wine bar?
- A restaurant in transition?OhSoGoodVIPDined on 10/13/2013Slate was almost empty when we arrived -- there were a number of items that were not available on the menu, and the portions were odd... The wait staff said there was a new chef, so perhaps they are working out the kinks. I hope so because this has been a favorite spot in the past -- but this time around, it was disappointing.
- Best of Glover ParkJuliaz3VIPDined on 10/11/2013Slate has delicious small plates and, as one would hope in a wine bar, fantastic wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic ServiceintowineVIPDined on 10/5/2013Even though the place was full and they were busy, we were seated quickly and the staff very attentive. Specials that day were very good but we would go back to try more of the wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOptimisticDinerDined on 10/4/2013The hard copy menu and online menu would benefit consistency; it would help if the servers knew in advance what dishes are not available; we waited 15-25 minutes for our wine, only to be told that bottle is out and offered a higher priced one; the food had a decent flavor; two tables by us said the opposite; we had to ask other staff members for assistance.Special Features:
- disappointedLcmcginnisVIPDined on 9/29/2013First of all, when we sat down the server began with the list of foods they were out of: tuna, shrimp, bibb lettuce, romaine, risotto, and ketchup. Luckily, most of us planned to order mussels and fries (without ketchup). Unfortunately, when the mussels came, it was the smallest portion of mussels I have EVER received at a restaurant. We thought it must be some mistake, or that a second (hot) serving was brought after the first was eaten. This was not the case. We will not be going back!
- lunch breaksashaDined on 9/9/2013burger was great as well as the fish and chips!! different style cole slaw added a nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The kitchen was very willingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/1/2013The kitchen was very willing to work with a food allergy and created a variation of each dish we were interested in. Thank you!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/1/2013Food was mediocre and service was very slow, but friendly. They gave us doughnuts on the house and offered champagne/rose on the house to make up for the slow service. Cute building.
- Nice time at SlateJpJpDined on 8/21/2013My Lady and I went to Slate during restaurant week. We stopped at the bar on the way in and the bartender was wonderful! He made my lady a wonderful gin cocktail with cinnamon that was delicious! He talked about how they came up with various cocktails and told the tales with verve! We were seated for dinner and really enjoyed the service, as our waitress was wonderful! The food, I'm sorry to say, was just ok. I had the Filet Mignon medalions, and the flavor was good, but they didn't have the mignon texture one expects. They felt more like sirloin. My lady had a rissotto dish, which was also ok, but just didn't have that last bit of flavor you want. We will certainly come back to Slate again and try some different dishes. The service great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and cozyLv2eatVIPDined on 7/20/2013I can't wait to return to this establishment. The crab mac 'n cheese was delicious, and the house white wine was a perfect accompaniment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENT!!croyleDined on 7/20/2013This was my first time there. Our waitress was Karina. She was wonderful and made my time there wonderful. The wine was absolutely delicious. I only had the asparagus but it was so good! I will be going back!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/29/2013We took a chance on Slate but I'm so glad we did. All the staff were friendly and our server Molly couldn't have been more pleasant. The menu isn't vast, which makes deciding easier. I had the NY strip which was awesome. The cheesecake was super tasty too. The ambience was awesome for date night and even the manager/chef I think he was, came out to ask about the food (always a great sign). Although it was a bit pricy, it was worth it and we will be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/24/2013We went on a Monday for lunch at 12:15 and we were the only ones in the restaurant so our waiter was very attentive and it was a nice environment. We both ordered the Fried Chicken Sandwich, which was a huge portion for the price. The slaw wasn't too spicy and overall the lunch was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood FindOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/21/2013Slate has a small but interesting menu. For the starter we choose: Devils on Horseback and Baked Brie (good). We followed those with a Grilled Romaine Salad (excellent). For the entrees: Duroc Pork Chop and Steamed Clams (outstanding). Skipped Dessert. Service was friendly and professional. Wine choices were Pinot Noir ans Sancerre....the Sancerre was especially good.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedluv2eatVIPDined on 6/15/2013small place and limited menu - and at first we were concerned about what to order etc. however we each got a salad and the grilled romain was outstanding and we each got a starter which was very generous. the mac n cheese was terrific as was the scallops. Very cute small neighborhood placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/8/2013Great Scallops and Ahi appetizer. Fresh Fish and Duck Entrees were solid choices. Desserts were limited. Interesting Wine List. Service was fair, wine presentation was not executed properly. Chef visited table, which was nice.Special Features:
- Great people & Very Good Wine ListJConsDined on 5/25/2013My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our date night. My wife had the Risotto and Scallops - very good but the scallops were a tad bit over-cooked. I had the Burger with Fried Egg - AWESOME!! Next to the hospitality the wine was perhaps the best part of the evening - it was a Pinot Noir but unfortunately I can't remember the name - we finished the bottle ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeBernadette6382Dined on 5/14/2013Very satisfied w our experience, super intimate for friends, small groups, or ate. Make it what it is it was suitable for anything. Loved itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I generally do not write reviews,DinerVIPDined on 5/4/2013I generally do not write reviews, but feel strongly that Slate deserves some notice for a promising re-start in Glover Park. Evidently Slate is on its second Chef since opening. I missed the first, but the current chef (May 2013) is promising. Menu is nicely varied---ranging from burgers to risottos and nicely done fish. Noise level is, yes, "energetic," but my sense is that most of the patrons like that. Wait staff was charming and devoted. Patrons seemed stylish and discerning. Promising.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for HHbritccVIPDined on 4/26/2013I have been anxious to try Slate Wine Bar for some time now and happy we did! We tried out their hh and sat in the restaurant for dinner. The service was great and the wine selection was extensive. I would say that this place is great for HH and bar food. The best entrees were their appetizers and the rest was okay. Will be back for hh and small plates!Special Features:
- Waitress was very attentiveHaneVIPDined on 4/20/2013Waitress was very attentive and friendly.Food was not bad, but it was nothing that was too difficult to prepare. Fish came with a whole slab of butter just globbed on top, which was a little strange. Wine was overpriced. Still, decent experience overall if you are in the neighborhood.
- The new dinner menu is delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/13/2013The new dinner menu is delicious. I plan on coming back very soon! I reccomend the shishoto pepper appetizer, blackened fish entree and duck entree.Special Features:
- My husband and I went to SlateNotafoodiebutlovefoodVIPDined on 4/7/2013My husband and I went to Slate because we had a Gilt City 'Mimosa Brunch for Two' voucher. The voucher deal was worth it, simply because of the full bottle of champagne. We had 'unlimited' donut holes with a trio of dipping sauces (although the server never asked if we wanted more donuts), the Slate Breakfast (pretty standard food--the toast was great (I know that sounds weird) and the bacon was very crispy, which I like!), and the Eggs Benedict (the hollandaise sauce had no flavor and was congealed, but the bordelaise sauce tasted good). Overall, the food was good--nothing great, and the service was okay. I'd go back if I lived in the neighborhood, but wouldn't make a trip back there from Capitol Hill.
- I have gone twice now - onceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013I have gone twice now - once for dinner and once for brunch with a Gilt coupon. Food and service is mediocre at best. For a "wine" bar, they know very little about wine - the waitress couldn't even tell us if the wine we ordered was a grape or a blend (clearly I am no wine snob since I needed to ask this).
- The restaurant was very busyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/7/2013The restaurant was very busy due to everyone - including my husband and I - using a Gilt City voucher on the last day possible. Even with it being busy though, our server was great and if not always attentive, very aware that she wasn't able to be and apologizing for it. The food was delicious. I'd definitely recommend getting the warm doughnut holes with trio of dipping sauces to start. Might not go for brunch again as without the deal it seemed it would be rather expensive, but glad we went with the voucher for sure.Special Features:
- MediocreOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 3/31/2013Food was mediocre. Service was lacking... Was given coffee without creamer or sugar?? The prices were expensive. Maybe I'd come back for just wine? Bourbon next door is more fun with way tastier food and better bang for your buck.
- Went there on a date. AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/2013Went there on a date. Ambiance was nice, quiet and appropriately lit. Food was good and affordable. Wine was great. Service was very good too.Special Features: