510 Piedmont Ave, NE
Atlanta, GA 30308Neighborhood:
Fusion / EclecticPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.poorcalvins.com/
- Phone: 4042544051x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm (CLOSED Monday for Lunch)
Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 11:00pm
BRUNCH: Saturday and Sunday 12:00-3:00pm
$3.00 drink specials. Bottomless has been discontinued.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
COMPLIMENTARY glass of wine with your Entree, when you show your FOX Theatre ticket
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Southern, Asian
- Executive Chef: Calvin Phan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: E-mail Allende Clark, at email@example.com for catering service availabilities and details.
Personal Delivery available at zifty.com
- Entertainment: THURSDAYS: 7:00pm
Endless house red and white wine only $15.00
The ambiance fills the restaurant, from live music played by a superb group of musicians. Make reservations today for a weeknight you won't soon forget!
- Special Events: Weekend Brunch:
Sat and Sunday 11am-3pm Asian inspired brunch...including: Chicken & waffle, Omelette in the Pot, Lamb Burger and more.
Drink Specials on all Hair of the Dog cocktails. Including: Mimosa, Bloody Mary's, Screw Driver, Sangria and more.
- Cross Street: Renaissance Parkway
- Public Transit: A short walk from Civic Center and North Ave. Marta train stations.
FREE Car Service, provided by Uber, for all Midtown and Downtown hotel guests. Call for scheduling or mention in your reservation notes. The host/hostess will contact you prior to your reservation time.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Private parking lot adjacent to restaurant, with additional street parking along Piedmont and Renaissance (No Parking Fee).
***Be mindful of signage***
Friday and Saturday: VALET
Complimentary valet provided by City Parking Solutions Inc. Additional parking along Piedmont and Renaissance with side walk to restaurant. Poor Calvin's cannot guarantee parking.
A word from Poor Calvin's
We know the word "fusion" has been wielded about to justify everything from Hula Burgers to Mexican lasagna. But the East-meets-South brand of fusion happening at Poor Calvin's? It's creative; it's innovative; and it's probably unlike anything you've tasted in the ATL. After working in kitchens around the world, Calvin Phan wanted to shake things up a little. And so, into the mac 'n cheese, the Thai spices went. Now, Calvin's giving Southern staples, like sea bass and fried chicken, a decidedly creative Asian-inspired twist (and a nip of spice, too). We didn't think good old-fashioned mac 'n cheese could get much better. And then, we tried Calvin's ridiculously rich take on the cheesy classic, gussied up with chunks of lobster and given a zing with Thai spices. This, and more innovative dishes, approached in much the same way, leave the hands of Calvin Phan day in and day out. His dedication and attention to detail are evident in each dish and dessert. You won't be disappointed.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Poor Calvin's reviews from OpenTable diners
199 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (136)neighborhood gem (113)great for brunch (72)special occasion (66)romantic (61)hot spot (53)good for groups (52)great for lunch (46)late-night find (33)vibrant bar scene (30)great for outdoor dining (24)scenic view (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (6)Show More
- Love this placeStephWDined on 8/10/2014This is one of my go-to places. It never disappoints. Portions are generous as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No elbow roomFlavortheExperienceDined on 8/10/2014Very small hostess area. Tables in the back, small little place. Ok food..nothing that I would go back for. Drinks were just ..plain.Special Features:
- MandBVIPDined on 8/10/2014Second time and loved it again. It is so nice having such a wonderful brunch selection. Everything we've eaten at Poor Calvin's has been wonderful. Great choices, great preparations, and presentations. The lobster fried rice is fabulous, served with a great lobster tail and all fresh vegetables. The walnut shrimp was equally as wonderful - great flavors. Great appetizers and Bloody Mary's as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- Fabulous BrunchepicuriousDined on 8/10/2014We visited on Sunday during restaurant week when they were booked solid for the day. Appetizers were very generous. Loved the beignet basket with the mascarpone and lobster mac & cheese. The chicken and waffles were outstanding as were the omelets. Definitely plan to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great start to restaurant weekSonyasunbeam7Dined on 8/9/2014We started Atlanta's restaurant week off with a bang. Poor Calvin's is a cosy, quaint space with a great vibe and even greater food. It was the perfect date night. The food was imaginative and delicious. It was extremely crowded so service was slow and they did run out for a few signature dishes but I still would highly recommend it to anyone. I had the lobster fried rice and it was a great choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but no cigarrainetDined on 8/9/2014The valet came to the car in the pouring rain and said leave the car where it was and bring the keys to him when we walk in.Who does that? I was expecting an umbrella with walk to the door. Oh well. The inside of the restaurant is not situated very well.You walk into the door and your right on top of someone eating at the bar.You pass them in order to get to the hostess which is right in the middle of the servers walking area.The chairs were not all the same. You had a tall kings chair in certain areas then plastic deck like chairs in other areas then nice wooden chairs.It was definitely a hodge podge of a lot of things including a pink and green deer on the wall. Food and wine was delicious which was the only plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okHappy2Dined on 8/9/2014I went during downtown restaurant week and it was extremely busy. We did have reservations but still crowded. It was hot and the fans only blew in the corner. We requested that doors be opened because we were sitting in the back. It did bring a small breeze until the rain came. Our waiter barely spoke English and barely checked back with us on refills. I'll write another review if I visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodFrizzleDined on 8/9/2014A little noisy but overall the food and service was top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, Flavorful BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2014First time at this neighborhood gem. Our table of four tried a variety of creative and well-executed apps and entrees, and enjoyed them all. We wanted to try everything on the menu, but that will require several more visits. Great prices on Mimosas, Sangria, and craft beers. Portions of the entrees were very generous. Service was all hands on deck, ultra friendly, and attentive. It was a great experience, and we'll be back.Special Features:
- The Best I've been to in a whileTinzerVIPDined on 8/9/2014What makes this place remarkable? The staff. They are so helpful and they all LOVE their jobs. The food is great and the location is good. The overall feel is like visiting a friend's house for lunch. the only thing was the service was slow.Special Features:
- GREAT RESTAURANTFOODFINDERDined on 8/8/2014Everything about the restaurant was good from the atmosphere to the food. Not to mention the waitress was attentive and eager to please.Special Features:
- Great service, food, & atmosphere!honeychild404Dined on 8/2/2014My boyfriend and I ate here for his bday.Staff is amazing. We were first greeted by the bartender who was so nice and helpful. We were quickly seated at our table on the enclosed patio (Very nice with new orleans french quarter style doors). They play some choice hits on the speakers but not so loud you can't hear. The food was excellent. We loved the conch fritters (yum!) And the crab stuffed artichokes were divine. My boyfriend had the padthai which he loved. The infused vodka cocktails are really yummy too. I had called ahead for a slice of cake and candle to be brought out after our meal, they brought out an amazing red velvet cake, I was shocked they didn't charge me for it! Great place! We definitely will go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very ImpressedRayaVIPDined on 8/2/2014We visited Poor Calvin's for brunch. The beignets were incredible. I had the crab cake eggs benedict, which was delicious. My friends ordered the salmon omelet and the basil rolls, both of which they enjoyed. The drinks were very reasonable and you can choose to order a bottomless mimosa, Bloody Mary, sangria, etc. The coffee was excellent, and the dessert (red velvet, chocolate and marscapone) was fantastic. Our server, Matt, was knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating (one person wanted to order off the regular vs. the brunch menu). Parking is a challenge, so be prepared! We will be visiting again, soon!Special Features:
- Small but LivelyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/1/2014Be sure to make a reservation as the location is small and filled up quickly. Having a reservation, we were seated promptly upon arrival. The drinks were delicious; definitely try the mango jalapeno cocktail. The lobster mac & cheese should not be missed. Overall, the food was good and the service was excellent on a busy weekend. In regards to atmosphere, it seemed to be the ideal spot for the 35 & up crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Lobster Mac n Cheese!lil247VIPDined on 7/30/2014Took us a while to finally try this place, but so glad we did. The lobster mac n cheese is dream-worthy. We had them make it spicy and it was heavenly. The entrees were also very good. Recommend the lamb and the duck dishes. Presentation is impressive and taste is even better. Will definitely go back!
- Everything was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014Had it for brunch everything was excellent from the bottomless sangria, mimosas, etc FANTASTIC!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Martin!BreezDined on 7/27/2014Martin was GREAT! He definelty made up for the snobbing host we encountered. She was rude until she figured out I wasn't backing down to tolerate her smart rude mouth. Other than that, the service with Martin was great! I left him a big tip. I love great service and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/26/2014Remarkable food, service, and food! Yes, had to say food twice as it is that remarkable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!EatzalotDined on 7/24/2014A group of us go to dinner once a month, trying new (to us) restaurants. This was definitely one of the best. Great app, entrees and desserts. Be sure to try to mango/chocolate mousse cake. Awesome!Special Features:
- love2eatDined on 7/23/2014First visit! Will definitely return! Prices were more than reasonable considering the quality of the food. My tastebuds were awakened with the seafood springroll appetizer. The fried chicken entree with lobster mac n cheese was awesome. I didn't like that my squashed was served soggy under the mac n cheese, but that was minor compared to the major taste of the food and service that the knowledgeable waiter provided.Special Features:
- First TimerFoodExplorerDined on 7/20/2014I happened upon this establishment looking for a spot for brunch. Let's start with parking; the lot next to the restaurant is VERY small under 10 cars can park there it seemed and I had to park on one of the side streets (no biggie). One inside, it is a very small establishment, but I liked the decor and feeling of the place. Our server, Gina (I believe it was) was nice and very knowledgeable of the menu. I went with her recommendation of the Lobster Fried Rice, which was good (lobster was perfectly prepared), but I was expecting more spice with the rice; the portion was sufficient and the food arrived quickly. My companion opted for the Egg Benedict and his plate was cleaned quickly. We plan on returning for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlacelolaandjamesDined on 7/19/2014We wen to celebrate a friend birthday and had a great time. The food was excellent and the service was funny and fabulous. Hi LOLA!! Matter of fact please ask for Lola's table, she's so personable. Do you know I was there on Friday night, and enjoyed it so well that I took my date there on Saturday night. Please try the Lobster Mac and Cheese as a appetizer or get the Fried Chicken that comes with Lobster Mac and Cheese. Oh la la!!!Special Features:
- hawkeyeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Crispy beef was unbelievably good as well as the tea cake.Special Features:
- Different but VERY LOUDCindyADined on 7/19/2014I like the way that the top noise level is energetic, what it was was LOUD. We went on a Saturday night with another couple and conversation was very difficult. This is a trendy little restaurant and the food was very good but not exceptional. We got the crab and artichoke appetizer. You were supposed to use the artichoke leaves to scoop bites of the crab dip and although it tasted good it was just sort of dumped on the plate so it was difficult to eat. I ordered the ribeye which I thought was exceptional but the scallops my husband ordered were just okay. The seabass and the freshwater prawn special were also good. For desert the carmel/chocolate apple was just okay, but the crepes were wonderful. All in all very good but not consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Free Uber, fancy food, fab drinkswildpigletDined on 7/19/2014You had me at free Uber. As an out of town guest, it was nice to not have to drive to the restaurant. The food was very inventive and tasty. You can easily share most dishes. My Dark and Stormy cocktail was worth the 258 mile from Nashville. The server was very good but she forgot to suggest the special. At one time she fell over a badly placed table. As good as the bartender at mixing drinks, he does like yell to his servers that the drinks are ready. When I come back to Atlanta, I will bring my husband to enjoy the food and cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Girls' Night Out-Mommies KickinOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/18/2014Food and service was amazing as always! I look forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fusionMmprulesDined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent; fusion was successful without losing the authenticity. Great option for downtown dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thrilled with First Time Trip !LoveAtlantaButRarelyThereDined on 7/16/2014Dined at 11:15 for lunch - excellent time of day- only one other party there. Excellent Service and 3 of 4 entrees were spectacular! Fried chicken just a tad undercooked on one entree. Quaint, unique building. Chef Calvin was delightful and the server was the best I've ever had!! Prices were very, very reasonable for the quality and quantity of food served. The dessert apple (their signature) was SO GOOD and MORE than four ladies could share! My sister had a Moscow Mule and absolutely loved it! Two of the four sisters are pretty much food and restaurant "particular" and they raved about everything! Would definately love to visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently DeliciousMrsHDined on 7/15/2014The food here is great! Love the staff as well- very attentive even when they're busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed!ChigirlDined on 7/14/2014I wanted to like Poor Calvin's but it was not to be. Came in on a Monday night with a reservation for 6. We were seated immediately and given a rundown on the menu by Martin, our waiter. First round and apps came out quickly but after that things went downhill. Not sure if Martin was the only server in the place but at various times I saw him bussing, setting tables, running drinks and serving. When meals were served I ordered glass of wine along with 2 of the others at table. Drinks did not come until dinner completed and Martin was asking about dessert and how to split bill. Food was good, not great. Mac and cheese was amazing! But it the the service problem that plagues the dining industry that was the turn off. I will not return.
- Food never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/13/2014Food is amazing! Service got better, but we waited about 10 minutes before someone took our drink order. I wanted Lola's section, but she was booked. She is awesome last time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant Surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I definitely would've never guessed this gem was right under my nose! The food was absolutely AMAZE and our experience was overall great! The lobster fried rice was nothing short of heaven!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BIAAlexVIPDined on 7/11/2014Poor Calvin's has some of the best food in Atlanta! Tell James RepZio sent you!!Special Features:
- Best meal of the weekSteveggieDined on 7/11/2014Went with a coworker while in ATL for a convention. We're both vegetarian and had plenty of choices. Veggie ceviche and spanikopita were standouts and our Thai curry entrees were amazing. We sat near the dessert case and only disappointment was we were too stuffed to try one. When we left, they offered to call us a cab and when we got to our hotel the driver told us the restaurant had already paid him. Totally unexpected. We will be coming back to Poor Calvin's on our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedDisappointedVIPDined on 7/10/2014Delish meal, we had the chocolate pound cake dessert and it was disappointing but main meal, drinks, appetizers all delish.Special Features:
- MandBVIPDined on 7/6/2014What a great surprise. We were looking for an interesting brunch menu (since my wife does not eat eggs) and we certainly found it at Poor Calvin's. The menu was wonderfully creative and the food excellent. There were so many great choices it was difficult to decide. We loved everything we ate (and drank) - fusion food based upon Southern and Thai. Very original and very delicious. Our waitress was wonderful, extremely personable and friendly and she made some great suggestions. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Awesome neighborhood findBerrygudVIPDined on 7/5/2014Poor calvins is just south of midtown and has a lot to offer. The service and food are always amazing. If they have a special that sounds good to you- get it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful brunchBuffy26VIPDined on 7/5/2014I took my husband here for his birthday to enjoy a nice brunch. The brunch was amazing. The food was out of this world and we will be back . The vibe had this NYC ambience which was great since I'm from the Queens, NY and miss places like this at home. The chef Calvin himself came out to ensure you were having a good time. We spoke to him directly and he was so nice and passionate about food. Great place a must try .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, interesting spotpartyofoneandthensomeVIPDined on 6/30/2014I typically take larger groups out for dinner, and I think I'm glad it was just two of us this time. The ambiance at Calvin's is nice--strong feel of a converted house (and we sat on the enclosed--and thankfully AC'd--porch). The waitstaff was really excellent, including handling an allergy situation with competence and grace. The food was fantastic--I would put it at about a quarter of a star below Serpas, but a very close call. On the whole, we took our waiter's recommendations on food, and he never steered us wrong. Desserts were, perhaps, the highlight, with a bourbon-soaked grilled poundcake and a red velvet-marscapone suspension cake. Amazing!Special Features:
- Love this placeStephWDined on 6/30/2014All of the small plates are to die for and the bottomless brunch special is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.