The Tomato Palace
10221 Wincopin Circle
Columbia, MD 21044Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Tomato Palace
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.clydes.com/tomato
- Phone: 4107150211x
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary Italian, Italian, Pizzeria
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Tomato Palace
The atmosphere is casual and fun, with colorful graphics enlivening the walls and menus. Seating is ample for families; and the whimsical tomato chairs by furniture maker Peter Danko are always a favorite. In warm weather there are 50 seats beneath the arbor for outdoor dining by the lake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Tomato Palace - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
The Tomato Palace reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (30)kid-friendly (28)scenic view (27)neighborhood gem (26)great for lunch (22)good for groups (12)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)fit for foodies (3)late-night find (1)Show More
- Reliable, good food, reasonable $ColumbiaDinerDined on 2/15/2014Tomato Palace is a nice slightly above average restaurant where you can get good food at reasonable prices. We've been going there for years and it would be nice if they changed up the menu a bit more. It seems to stay basically the same and gets a bit boring.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-So Valentine dinnerDCsOwnDined on 2/14/2014It seems this place has so much potential. Situated only yards from Lake Kittamaqundi, you'd think the restaurant would pop. A little more attention is needed in the interior aesthetics. To get to the restroom, you must navigate through a mini maze. It seems the place was a bit cold & somewhat disconnected. The meals were very reasonably priced.Special Features:
- Datesam102nacDined on 2/14/2014Great place for a date. Waitress was very attentive even though she was probably swamped with other tables. Food was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceSteph123Dined on 2/14/2014I highly recommend this restaurant. Great food, prices and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every time we go to the TomatoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2014Every time we go to the Tomato Palace we ask ourselves why we don't visit more often. The food is always good, it's busy but not chaotic, and the service is great. We're going to make a point of making this a regular stop.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good pricesOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/1/2014Tomato palace stands out as one of the few reasonably nice restaurants with reasonably good food, all at reasonable prices. The entrees are typically $10-15 and (at least right now) they have $10 bottles of wine, which is pretty amazing. I don't find the food mind blowing, but I haven't had anything bad. I actually like some of the food better than what they have at Clyde's next door (same owner), but TP has better prices, is quieter, and is less busy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!EichVIPDined on 2/1/2014Leandra, our server is excellent and worked with us to have our order just right by us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful surprise!ColumbiaCathyVIPDined on 1/17/2014I've not visited The Tomato Palace in a few years, but we had a delightful dinner last Friday and this may become our new go-to local place. The food was delicious and the $10 wine list was good. We will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemDinerVIPDined on 12/28/2013Tomato Palace provides good food, nice atmosphere and attentive service. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place to dineShopper20143VIPDined on 12/28/2013This was the third time I've dined at The Tomato Palace since discovering it a few months ago and I love it here. The food was delicious and served at just the right temperatures - I had the chicken parm and a 1/2 house salad, someone else enjoyed the chicken marsala and 1/2 caesar salad, while 2 others enjoyed their pasta and grilled chicken dishes. I particularly like the fact that you can order a 1/2 salad as an appetizer since the regular ones are huge. Service on all 3 occasions has been excellent - very friendly without being obtrusive. While it's owned by Clyde's, it bears no resemblance to the boisterous bar scene of that restaurant; it has a very comfortable atmosphere that you want to return to often, and we definitely will.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good Family Dinnerjgoldman77Dined on 12/26/2013We love coming to Tomato Palace - this was probably our 5th visit with our kids (ages 8 and 5). They have a great kids menu with many choices, and the regular menu has so many choices it makes selecting your dinner difficult... The atmosphere is energetic, with an open kitchen where you can see the brick-oven for pizzas. Service has always been very good, and we have never had any complaints. We have been back many times, and will definitely visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunchtitoVIPDined on 12/22/2013we were finishing our xmas shopping and found the place via open table for a quick late lunch early dinner. food was good and service was nice.. even have a $10.00 wine bottle, not bad.. grin..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/27/2013We've been going there for many years. It's always been a safe bet for good food and an upbeat atmosphere. Of late, TP has been reinventing itself. The new menu features high quality entrees at very reasonable prices including an excellent selection of $10 pizzas and pastas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteShopper20143VIPDined on 11/23/2013This was the first time we visited The Tomato Palace but we're already planning a return visit next weekend. The food was very good with portions that were just right - we didn't leave overly stuffed nor still hungry. The hostess was very friendly and Leandra, our server, couldn't have been nicer or more professional. She was attentive without being intrusive and made sure all of our meals were to our liking. The food was very good. My husband had the salmon and he said it was one of the best prepared dishes he's ever had. My chicken parm was delicious and was big enough for my dinner the next night. The soups were well prepared and the salads were crisp and fresh. The prices were very affordable. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Neighborhood PlaceRondyVIPDined on 10/12/2013We have been here a number of times and find the food consistently well prepared and good basic Italian cooking. Dishes are well priced and wine list though limited has good selections. Overall pricing is family oriented and the service is excellent. Every time I have been there the wait staff has been outgoing and friendly and they know the menu. Overall very good place to go for a good meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Quiet LunchMackmagicianDined on 10/7/2013My wife and I went there for an anniversary lunch. It was on a Monday so it was very quiet. The weather wasn't pleasant outside unfortunately. Overall the service was great and the food was delicious. We had their lunch special combo and the portions were satisfactory. It was a nice place to just pass the time without a hectic and noisy crowd. I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spotKatieVIPDined on 8/19/2013We were in and out for lunch in a reasonable time which is nice for working folks. The steak on my friend's salad wasn't cooked very well and the kitchen gave her the wrong dressing (not the waitresses fault), but apparently the kitchen staff was new so maybe they were still settling in. Hopefully we just caught them on a bad day. Otherwise the service was great, the staff was friendly, and the menu was extensive!Special Features:
- Decent food, awful service.StooBushDined on 8/17/2013They stuck our party of 9 with a clear rookie. He couldn't answer any questions, even basic stuff like what beers were on tap. We had two children with us, ages 5 and 1. We requested their meals come with the appetizers. One did, but the other didn't arrive until everyone else was served with their entree, despite repeated assurances that it was on its way. Have you ever sat with a hungry 5-year-old while he watched his little brother and everyone else at the table get food? They took his meal off of the total, but frankly the manager didn't really seem to care all that much, and they weren't busy enough for her to not be more attentive. Also, they've redone their menu and removed their best dish: the house manicotti. I doubt we'll return.
- Needs a menu and cook makeoverOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2013The server failed to mention that the lobster dish one of us ordered was going to be spicy. When it came, it was inedible. He did take it back and offered to remake or replace it. The manager rushed the replacement offering, but did not offer anything to make up for the problem. Another dish, chicken rigatoni, was so overcooked and flavorless that it went unfinished. Even the house salad was bland, the pepper parmesan dressing lacking flavor. And the pizza crust was burnt. At least the pino grigio was nice.
- great salads and pizzaMJH2VIPDined on 7/23/2013while we think our waitress might have been having a bad day (not very friendly) she was efficient and the grilled radicchio salad was delicious, as was the pizza. great place to meet friends for lunch. bruschetta was good, though bread was a little too charred for our taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While I do miss the garlicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2013While I do miss the garlic knots and "half and half" deals that used to be on the Tomato Palace menu, the new "more authentic" Italian menu is also quite delicious. But I certainly would be happy to see the garlic knots return!Special Features:
- too expensivenotpleasedDined on 6/1/2013Service is excellent. Atmosphere is pleasant. Not too many people so noise level was moderate. Pasta not very good, though priced too high. House salad ok. Honey mustard dressing good. Priced too high.Special Features:
- Same Old PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/18/2013this location was closed, along with Clyde's for a renovation- however, much to our surprise - nothing changed.
- Very good dinnerPerksDined on 5/17/2013We had the soft shell crab that was cooked very well and served with a crispy polenta cake and a nice sauce with a slight ham flavor. This probably ranks among the best meals we've had at Tomato Palace in the several years that we've been eating there. They are working hard to balance the "new" kitchen but have difficulty in trying to figure out how to plate some dishes, like the half chicken on the the rectangular plates, and what works on the new menus. Gone are the half dinner menus with salad, the half carafe of wine and the frequent visitor cards. Also gone is the ability to order from the Clyde's menu. One gets the feeling that they don't quite know what to do with Tomato Palace. .Special Features:
- SurprisedbilboVIPDined on 5/12/2013We had a large group and we were treated very well. Service was excellent and the food was very good. Will become a regular in short order.Special Features:
- Still good but some changesSusanDined on 5/12/2013Still a great place to eat, but the combo was the best item on the menu, and they have removed it. Also, you can no longer order from Clyde's menu. Disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkVacationerVIPDined on 5/10/2013Tomato Palace used to be one of our favorite restaurants. It closed for renovations, but looks the same inside now that it is open again. The garlic knots they used to bring to the table are no more, we had to ask for bread. The new paper menus look temporary and old favorites like the steak salad are gone. The food was just okay. We had a reservation and requested to sit outside, but although there were two empty tables visible we were told we couldn't sit there because there was "a list" of people waiting for outside seating. There was absolutely no one waiting in the lobby so we asked again who was waiting. At this point a manager basically shouted at us that there was no reserving outside seating. We won't go back.
- ChangesGeezer16VIPDined on 5/4/2013This was the first time we dined there since the reopening. I don't see many physical changes but the menu and portions seem smaller, and the prices seem higher. The quality of the food might be a bit better than before, but with one sample its too early to tell.I would recommend this to a friend.
- New menu is very nice. OnlyBarryVIPDined on 5/4/2013New menu is very nice. Only issue we had is the food came out very quickly. Would be nice to pace the meal a bit more!
- I had a good experience withryanmcq55VIPDined on 4/27/2013I had a good experience with my daughter. It was the first weekend since the re-opening and my experience was a good one. I will be returning with my whole family. But I was not sure who my server was as there were 3 different people who helped us. One took the drink orders, one took the dinner orders and one delivered the check. The service was good, but I just didn't know who my main contact was. It was a little bit confusing. Overall, though, the food was good, service was good and worth the price I paid.Special Features: