Kaz Sushi Bistro
1915 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kaz Sushi Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kazsushi.com/
- Phone: 2025305500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kaz Okochi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please ask manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2025305500
A word from Kaz Sushi Bistro
KAZ Sushi Bistro is rated as one of the top Japanese restaurants in the Washington, DC area and has received many awards, including "2006 Casual Dining Restaurant of the Year". Kaz Sushi Bistro is known for its authentic Japanese menu that is accented with contemporary and creative touches. Please join us for your next special occasion, or for a quick bite, and enjoy our food and service in a relaxing and casual setting. Dinner reservations are recommend. (Lunch reservations, however, are not accepted on line due to our smaller capacity - 75 seats). Look forward to seeing you at KAZ Sushi Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kaz Sushi Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Kaz Sushi Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (22)romantic (15)great for lunch (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Went there during RestaurantpatsDined on 1/18/2014Went there during Restaurant Week. Food was amazing. We did however felt rushed to leave, I understand that you might wanna close for the night, but you are in the service industry after all. Would definitely go back, I would just be carful of how late I'm going.
- love restaurant weekchapsDined on 1/18/2014We came there and for restaurant week it was such a great deal. The food was so delicious. Sushi was fresh. The restaurant week menu gave me and a friend a shame to try several of the rolls. A choice of dessert came too. The lychee panacotta was wonderful. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but the venue needs workItalianinVAVIPDined on 1/18/2014Kaz SB has very good Japanese food but if you go for the exotic stuff that is hawked by the servers, be prepared to pay dearly. It's tasty but not that tasty. But the real kicker is that many of the tables are only a foot away from the next table and facing in the same direction. So whatever they are pontificating about at the next table is going to be your business too. Not very pleasant. We prefer to pick our own acquaintances. Service is very good to start when they are trying to get you to buy the most expensive things on the menu. Then they are hard to find. We won't be back.Special Features:
- Sushi Bistro - Awesome as UsualDineWellDined on 1/17/2014I am never disappointed with the food or service at Sushi Bistro! Awesome place that I refer many people to try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, excellent service!suzyqDined on 1/11/2014The food at Kaz is delicious. Every time I've gone, the ingredients are fresh and the presentation is clean, simple, and very carefully prepared. I love their seasonal soups and appetizers. There is plenty to eat here even if you don't care for sushi rolls. I recommend the Brussels sprouts and the green salad with ginger dressing! There are also vegetarian rolls in addition to the more traditional sushi. Try the Mexican roll! The wait staff is also incredibly courteous and friendly. You can't go wrong with a reservation at Kaz!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so fresh! so imaginative!KARADined on 1/4/2014All the food I was served was super fresh, but also imaginative, surprising. the mix of different textures, as in the Napoleon, was dazzling, the "Uni shot" delicious and surprisingly, a real shot, was more than worth it, etc...although I no longer live in DC , I always visit Kaz when I go through the city. The "regulars" are very good and the " Specials" not only delicious but surprising, exciting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small but fineViennaDined on 12/30/2013Table for 2 was quiet small! No Garderobe for Winter Coat ,Shell, Hood and Big handbag,! Tasting Menu: 009 with Frisch Fish was Top Teriyaki Benton box: Templar. Glassnoodle, Salad were Good but Chicken was hardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best sushi in DC by a long shot!SushiFanaticVIPDined on 12/27/2013As someone whose first sushi experience was in Japan with my father when I was 7 years old, I consider myself a bit of a sushi snob (connoisseur). Kaz will delight & satisfy the Americanized palate with sushi like Maryland crab & small plates like the perfectly cooked sea bass. But it will also satisfy those true fresh fish fanatics who just want to sit at the bar & order the omakase (chef's choice). In Japan a sushi chef likes to share his freshest & tastiest catch with his customers - it's truly a sense of pride & Kaz should be proud of what he's done in DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrity NomshughjkmnlvrDined on 12/14/2013I enjoyed the food, and the view of Hugh Jackman. Obviously a trendy environment and great place to eat.Special Features:
- Pork BellyTessDined on 12/14/2013The pork belly small plate was absolutely delicious.Special Features:
- Nice for a relaxed night outojosdetigreDined on 12/4/2013Kaz Sushi Bistro is a nice little place. There is not room for a large group, unless there is more seating than I could see, but perfect for a group of 2. The spicy edamames were delish. The sushi was just ok. I was comparing it to my favorite hotel sushi bar if that helps. The wine list was not very extensive but for the price it wasn't too bad. The service wait staff were very good, polite, helpful and prompt. If you are around, you should check it out.Special Features:
- Sushi which features the fish!FoodieVIPDined on 12/3/2013Great place. You can tell this is quality sushi in its simplest form. Not a bunch of crunchies and sauces (which I like and a reg sushi place) but pure clean fish dressed down. To be honest, go with waiter recommendations. Everything I picked on my own was so so but everything the waiter recommended was amazing. The Japanese sweet sea scallops was the most amazing sushi I ever had. It sort of melted in my mouth.
- great Japanese cuisine!SteveDined on 11/27/2013I go to Kaz whenever possible. Easy access from Farragut West metro stop. Very friendly service, very high quality Japanese food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will Go Back for MoreOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/23/2013Seared salmon belly is a must. Sweet shrimp and scallop nigiri were very tasty too. Great selection, little mixed in terms of freshness/tastiness. Manageable price-wise, if you focus on the entrees. Will definitely go back--there's so much to try! Also, I had read a number of reviews regarding service. Our server was terrific, very attentive and knowledgeable.Special Features:
- Best meal every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/22/2013Always great! Great side dishes as well as sushi. 100% reliableI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi!Lex20VIPDined on 11/19/2013I ate here with friend from out of town. We sat at the sushi bar and watched them make everything fresh. We also requested a chef's special where he created something for us. Yum! I tried some new fish I had never heard of before. Everything was fresh and delicious. If you like sashimi or nigiri - go here. If you like weird and crazy HUGE rolls....not the place. They to do the classics / basics very well. They also put a spin on some - with fois gras sushi and tuna with truffles. Everything was great. They also have a nice sake selection. We tried the cedar aged one - very smooth. All in all - great restaurant, good service, very friendly staff. I will definitely be returning.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi, great serviceMateoDined on 11/11/2013I brought my girlfriend to Kaz for her surprise birthday dinner. I requested wine to be waiting; it was. I requested an after dinner birthday dessert; it came promptly. I wrote down all of the sushi I wished to order for us prior to arrival. Once there I handed the list to the waitress and it was as easy as that. No ordering to do and our sushi came promptly! The fish here was excellent in my opinion. My girlfriend is more of an expert, being Japanese, and she also thought the sushi was excellent. She always raves about the quality of sushi in Japan so her standards are high, but she thought Kaz was great. A+ for food; A+ for serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!kvhhDined on 11/9/2013Service was very pleasant and attentive and the food was great (all of it - not just the sushi). Have been there several times now, and the experience has been consistently good. We will be coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love KazDavidVIPDined on 11/9/2013Best sushi in town. The food is consistently outstanding.Special Features:
- Fantastic, fresh sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2013Everything we had was awesome. The highlights were the seared scallop, the tuna with roasted almonds, and the crunchy shrimp roll. However, everything was very good. Joy was a great waitress as well and made the experience even better.Special Features:
- Great sushi and great serviceCapitalTreasureDined on 11/7/2013Would like to see lightiing a bit lower in evening - felt like a cafeteria. But the sushi was fresh and the service was attentive
- consistently good sushifederit5Dined on 11/2/2013This place is always very good. Service is great. We try to go often bit it is a bit pricey. The decor is a bit dated and rough around the edges but the food makes up for it. Good place for real foodies.Special Features:
- A bit cramped, but the sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/29/2013A bit cramped, but the sushi is of good quality and the service is good.Special Features:
- Best sushi ever!!BakingbabeDined on 10/11/2013We went here to celebrate a friends birthday. There were 5 in our group. The entire experience was exceptional and everything was deliciously superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's good, but not outstanding.RavenDined on 10/11/2013It's good, but not outstanding. The items on the left hand side of the menu are more inventive. The right side is more standard sushi fare. Was not too thrilled with the banana tempura dessert - just not that special and they substituted a far less tasty ice cream flavor than the red raspberry, which was stated on the menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and ElegantHannahJVDined on 10/3/2013Fantastic service, but a bit over-priced. Enjoyable ambiance and tasteful decoration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unusual and sophisticated sushiheckarebekahDined on 10/3/2013This is one of the few sushi restaurants in DC period, and of them, I'd certainly put it at the top. Really unusual sushi and nigiri that combines sophisticated and tasty flavors without being hokey (i.e., no salmon and cream cheese roll here). I had the salmon roll with picked pineapple and basil and the seared salmon belly with soy-lemon sauce, which was excellent. For someone who is not usually a scallop eater, I was surprised at how good the Japanese sweet sea scallop with apple-sauce was. We also shared their signature sea trout Napoleon. The service here is very solid and the cloths for hand-wiping are a nice touch. Noise level is very comfortable. Brought a friend here just moved to DC from NYC and she was definitely impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- awesome foododydowgDined on 9/30/2013This place has the best sushi in the washington, dc area. I would recommend Kaz to anybody. A tad bit expensive but worth it.Special Features:
- Kaz Sushi Bistro is GreatFoodieDined on 9/26/2013The food and service was really great. It's a small place with a great wait staff and food.Special Features:
- good sushi, a bit overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/25/2013Good sushi, but a bit overpriced. Can get quite crowdy even on a weekday night, get a reservation. When it does get crowded (tables and chairs are very close together) don't expect to see your waiter too often.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Model of Consistencyla2ralusDined on 9/25/2013I have dined at Kaz on several occasions over the past two years both lunch and dinner, and I've never walked walked away less than amazed. Service is always quick, friendly and willing to provide suggestions and options. The quality of ingredients is second to none and elevates the restaurant beyond the average neighborhood sushi joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing at a priceLooking4QualityDined on 9/25/2013For the price we paid, terribly disappointing! Sent back tempura because it was lukewarm = soggy (you could see the dry vs soggy -sat too long before arrival), which took 20 minutes for a replacement. The rice was on the dry and bland side for nigiri (hamachi, unagi and walu) and for that price, you would expect it not to feel dry and crusty as you place it in your mouth. the unagi nigiri was average, not crisp, barely warmed up and hardly any flavor, 'litmus' test for quality. The "happy hour" spicy shrimp roll had too much mayonaise, blah!!! wings were greasy.Bland Noodles in bento box, Salmon ok, Salad was highlight? maitre d' needs to work on his manners - customers want to feel welcome. otherwise keep door locked until 5:30 PRECISELY.Special Features:
- Great suhi placeGWUStudentDined on 9/24/2013The prices are fair and the mood is excellent. Service was also great and presentation outstanding. Excellent location and good for college students evenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice ambience and environment.UnFoodieDined on 9/23/2013Nice ambience and environment. Creative menu for sushi, which can be hard to find at times. Food was a little pricey and service was a little slow. I probably would have ordered another set of rolls if our waiter ever returned!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi Done Correctly!FuffinVIPDined on 9/23/2013Well, I have to say for as many sushi restaurants in DC this is definitely on the better side...authentic, rice to fish ratio perfect. The sushi rice is not too sticky, not too sweet and doesn't over power the fish. My favorite part is that they have a page explaining how sushi should be eaten!!! I hate that most people dunk their rice and absorb a ton of soy sauce then complain about how bad soy sauce is for you...well people it's because soy sauce is supposed to be lightly touched to the sushi not soaked. Chef Kaz puts a nice twist on some classic Japanese dishes. Try to the Kaz Sushi Bistro signature small plate...it's a nice combination of fish with a little crunch from a fried wonton and a light soy based sauce and some peanuts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushiFoodie1VIPDined on 9/21/2013Second time visiting this restaurant. Sushi at Kaz is wonderful -- the Bird's Nest is a must for any adventurous sushi lover. Ambience leaves a little to be desired, but the food is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting menu but tasteSnootyfoodieVIPDined on 9/21/2013Interesting menu but taste did not live upto expectations. However, my yuzu-saketini and lichi panacotta dessert were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingVirginiaDined on 9/18/2013Outstanding experience in every way....ambience, noise level, service that was attentive without being intrusive, and sushi that was as fresh and creative as it was delicious. VERY talented sushi chefs! Highest possible recommendation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food but somewhat pricy.LiamRanDined on 9/17/2013I ordered KAZ Sushi Tasting 009 along with sencha (green tea). While food is good, I find it to be somewhat pricy. I believe it had to do with the location of the restaurant and quality of sushi. I also find sencha to be excellent. However, I will return to the restaurant for several rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Sushi! And, quiet.BarbaraDined on 9/14/2013We had a lovely dinner of sushi in sight of the sushi bar. Everything was excellent, the service was good, and much quieter than many trendy restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.