Kaz Sushi Bistro
1915 I Street NW
Washington, DC 20006Neighborhood:
SushiPrice: $30 and under
Kaz Sushi Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.kazsushi.com/
- Phone: 2025305500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Monday – Saturday: 5:30pm – 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese
- Executive Chef: Kaz Okochi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Please ask manager for details.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 2025305500
A word from Kaz Sushi Bistro
KAZ Sushi Bistro is rated as one of the top Japanese restaurants in the Washington, DC area and has received many awards, including "2006 Casual Dining Restaurant of the Year". Kaz Sushi Bistro is known for its authentic Japanese menu that is accented with contemporary and creative touches. Please join us for your next special occasion, or for a quick bite, and enjoy our food and service in a relaxing and casual setting. Dinner reservations are recommend. (Lunch reservations, however, are not accepted on line due to our smaller capacity - 75 seats). Look forward to seeing you at KAZ Sushi Bistro.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Kaz Sushi Bistro - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Kaz Sushi Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (27)special occasion (22)romantic (16)great for lunch (14)hot spot (10)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)notable wine list (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014Fabulously fresh tasting food with vibrant flavours. Extensive menu well constructed so could continue to order depending on degree of hunger! Helpful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Service!!!KeriShullDined on 5/10/2014This is my favorite sushi in the city and every time I am there I am amazed it's not more crowded. The service is terrific, and they have a chef tasting that is out of this world!Special Features:
- Great foodMandiVIPDined on 5/10/2014I had always been wanting to try out Kaz and I am glad I finally did. The sushi was so fresh and our waitress was very knowledgable. she offered great recommendations and the sake tasting was fun.Special Features:
- KaarunVIPDined on 5/2/2014The sushi was good but the veggie miso soup was okay. The banana dessert was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey, avant-guard sushiVerilyDined on 5/1/2014Good quality fish, and excellent, mindful service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/26/2014It's a great sign that Kaz can maintain wonderful levels of food and service over the years -- it's always good. The service is always attentive. There restaurant is always busy. Well. Done. Kaz.Special Features:
- KazBellaDined on 4/25/2014Phenomenal sushi and service. Everything was very fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Blown Away!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/23/2014I've eaten my fair share of sushi, but Kaz's sushi has a "wow" factor. No fancy frills and over the top presentation, but just amazingly fresh and tasty fish. After eating at Kaz, I almost felt like I had "real" sushi for the first time. The fish.... As someone who appreciates attention to detail, Kaz was impressive. I informed them that we were there to celebrate my girlfriends birthday, and I could tell that they cared. They reserved a nice table for us, were very attentive, and they went over and beyond what was expected. The attention to detail extends into their menu and food presentation, and it's probably the reason the fish is so good. I also loved the sake selection and the informative way it is presented. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Consistently creativeOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/23/2014Took my daughter and her friends for B.D. as it's her favorite sushi place. Sake cocktails tasty. Took server's recommendations for some of the unusual special items including different types of fish sashimi. Love the seaweed and the jicama salads too. Service attentive and efficient. Another pleasing dining experience.Special Features:
- Great sushi!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/19/2014I work at the Kennedy Center and suggested this restaurant to a guest artist after he requested sushi. He and his father ate at Kaz nearly every day they were in town and recommended it highly to me. Last Saturday I finally made it over and I definitely recommend it! There was a wide selection of rolls (all delicious) and the atmosphere is nice. It's small and intimate so I would suggest making a reservation, but we ate there around 6:00pm and there were plenty of open tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Omakase for two makes anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/11/2014We don't splurge often, so this was an awesome treat to ourselves. The server (Ying) and the service were superb! The chef's choices and sake tastings were very special, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Phenomenal quality of sushikp1977Dined on 4/5/2014Phenomenal quality of sushi at a reasonable price. Nigiri definitely seemed to be the focus over rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious FoodAnonymousDined on 4/5/2014The food was great. They give you a lot of food so you definitely leave full. Our server was very nice and was on top of his work. I would definitely come back again. It was a bit pricey, though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sushi in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2014Was pleased with Kaz Sushi Bistro in downtown DC. Had nice variety of dishes, plus some unique house specialties. Really enjoyed the daikon salad. Also was pleased with our server.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really got my Ethiopian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/3/2014Really got my Ethiopian food fix here! Service, food, ambiance was all good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerDC18Dined on 4/2/2014Took some friends there for their birthday. They loved it. The Sake piña was great, as well as the sushi. I can't remember how many different kinds we got but they were all great. Everyone enjoyed it!Special Features:
- very happy birthday dinnerchangdolinoDined on 4/1/2014I took my fiancee here for dinner this week based off open table and online reviews. We were NOT disappointed. The fish was so fresh and tasty and served at the proper temp to appreciate it. Our waitress, Nun, was top notch. She even heard me call my fiancee bday boy and helped me sing happy birthday to him when she brought our dessert. I cannot wait to come back! The yellow fin crudo and salma carpaccio were amazing and I recommend the KAZ 009 where the chef selects your nigiriSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very high quality fresh sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 3/26/2014I went with my Japanese-speaking brother, who has spent many years going to Japan and has a somewhat jaundiced view of most of the sushi available in here, but he was very impressed by the quality and the scope of the menu. Excellent!Special Features:
- passable but not remarkabletastebuddyDined on 3/25/2014The tastiest tidbits were the vegetables: Brussels sprouts and spicy edamame. But the sushi was undistinguished and flavorless, and the service was only so-so. It's hard to put a finger on why the meal lacked luster; it would be a fine place for a business lunch, but for an evening dining experience it fell a tad short.
- Not ready for a MondayRugbyGusVIPDined on 3/24/2014Food was excellent. The service from the waiter was professional, but slow. The place was busier than the management expected, but the manager was like a zombie. He looked like he had been napping when the staff called him out to help. I felt bad for our waiter. The limited bar options are annoying, but manageable.Special Features:
- creative sushielizDined on 3/24/2014I was surprised by how much "creative" sushi they had rather than normal sushi offerings. I didn't try any of the higher end stuff, which was also more expensive, but the "normal" sushi was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional SushiGSB88VIPDined on 3/19/2014Our go to for sushi. Clean fresh and great quality More traditional so the rolls are smaller than the "New" sushi places that take you 5 minutes to Chew 1 piece. Usually rated outstanding although this outing the Rolls were a tad sloppy. Won't stop us from returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good First Experience at KazRangerDined on 3/7/2014Went to Kaz Sushi Bistro for first visit with friend from out of town who'd been told by a former Foggy Bottom resident that this was an excellent Sushi restaurant. We were not disappointed. Our table was ready when we arrived, our order was taken immediately, and food appeared quickly. Sushi was excellent and among the best I've had recently. "Sake of the Month" was good (but not great), and vegetable Miso soup was very good and rather unusual. Tables are close together but we were in a nook that left us in a relatively quiet corner away from main dining area (but with nice view out the front window). Sushi portions were good and price was typical for DC sushi restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK3MusketeersDined on 3/7/2014Many of their specialty sushi dishes use non-conventional toppings. For my taste it really did not work. I also found the fish itself to be not quite top rate.
- Oh my! OmakasemdfoodieVIPDined on 3/4/2014My adult son loves Sushi, so I searched for the best sushi downtown for his birthday dinner. He chose the Omakase option which is sushi selected by the chef until you tell him to stop. My son was in heaven -- getting to try new, different, and very high quality fish and we let him keep going. We had to pay per piece so the bill was very substantial, but he only turns 24 once. The chef and the server were very attentive.Special Features:
- In addition to the standardReasonableexpectationVIPDined on 3/4/2014In addition to the standard sushi fare, the menu featured a number of excellent special dishes. If you are adventurous, you will not be disappointed. Great service, crowded for a Wednesday, appropriately priced for Downtown DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Closed3MusketeersDined on 3/3/2014Even though I had an open table reservation the restaurant was closed and dark. But I could not let you know without filling ing the ratings so I did but they mean nothing.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great sushi - unexpected find!SaltDined on 2/27/2014Didn't expect to find much of a dinner last-minute downtown with a friend, but stumbled upon this and still can't figure out why they weren't booked out. Great ambiance, if small and tightly-packed tables, great service, and delicious food. I'm going again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet sushi, cozy settingKimChiDined on 2/26/2014Good sushi, cozy setting wtth energetic vibe. Menu has a wide range of choices with interesting toppings and good rolls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, ok serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/25/2014I work and live in the area and go to Kaz relatively frequently. This experience, the food was great as usual, but our service was spotty - we were helped by multiple people, were looking for our waiter on more than one occasion, etc. Also, the prices are very expensive. I only go when I'm on an expense budget.I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumMyrrDined on 2/20/2014We came from out of town and had yummy sushi. We were lost and very late but they were able to seat us. The staff was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super SushiOmerliDined on 2/18/2014An amazing selection with many choices unavalailable elsewhere. The quality of the food and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- Sublimely good sushikatx5hVIPDined on 2/3/2014Really like the sushi bar. Excellent Japanese beer and saki list. House specials are wonderful new take on sushi and the straight up nigiri sushi and sashimi were excellent and fresh. The ginger salad is highly recommended. Best Sushi Bar in Washington DC!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticDAVIDDined on 2/1/2014When we arrived, we learned that the restaurant did not have our reservation made through OpenTable. But after being seated, we had a wonderfult dining experience celebrating a special occasion. The wait staff was extremely helpful and knowledgeable, the menu options were original and diverse, the presentation was beautiful, and the food was delicious. We had a very happy and memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite sushi in DC!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/1/2014Our favorite sushi place to eat sushi! The truffle tuna is amazing!Special Features:
- The waiter did not understandHollyDined on 1/25/2014The waiter did not understand a lot of what we were asking her. She also recommended an item that they were out of which was disappointing. Tables are very close together and it's hard to not be overheard by the tables around you.
- Always InventiveWestenderVIPDined on 1/24/2014My wife and I eat here often. There's always something new on the menu to try and it's invariable good. This time, I enjoyed a grilled avocado and lobster "small plate," which I hope they keep for awhile. The place was full, as usual, despite the bitter cold weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, unpretentious sushiOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/24/2014Great, unpretentious sushi restaurant. Friendly and helpful staff who know their stuff and are happy to help with selections. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great sushibehappy26VIPDined on 1/24/2014great sushi restaurant. the miso soup was very rich and tasty. the rolls are great, love the crunchy shrimp roll. the crunchy eel roll could have used some eel sauce. the seared scallop nigri was unique and delicious. hamachi crudo with wasabi peas had a great sauce, the fish could have been cut a little cleaner. good service, decent prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Sushi in TownWestenderDined on 1/22/2014Kaz consistently delivers the very top quality dining experience. You cannot get a disappointing dish here, you could select your dinner by throwing darts at the menu and it would be excellent. This trip we loved the warm spinach and mushroom salad and the Brussels sprouts side dish. It was so wonderful we ordered two more for the whole table. It goes without swaying that the sushi, sashimi preparations are great. Also of note are the vegetarian choices. We will be back again soon.Special Features: