401 13th Street
Oakland, CA 94612Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://tribunetavern.com/
- Phone: 5104528742
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:30am-3:00pm
Dinner: M-Th 5:00pm-10:00pm
Dinner: F 5:00pm-11:00pm
Dinner: Sa 5:30pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Huw Thornton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Tribune Tavern
The Tribune Tavern is the latest venture from Chris Pastena of Chop Bar and Temoor Noor of Grand Tavern. A century ago, the Oakland Tribune used the tower’s ground floor as its “local room” —where reporters from different departments worked side by side and shared tips on the news of the day. It was a gathering spot for the great minds of Oakland, and a place where headlines were made. The Tribune Tavern will carry on that tradition—as a place for people to mingle over happy hour drinks, lunch meetings, or dinner—with authentic, nourishing comfort food that’s affordable enough for everyone to enjoy, and a bar stocked with the best locally-made beer and wine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Tribune Tavern - Best Restaurants in Oakland ›
Tribune Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (29)good for groups (28)vibrant bar scene (26)fit for foodies (21)neighborhood gem (20)great for outdoor dining (19)great for brunch (13)hot spot (11)special occasion (7)late-night find (4)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (1)Show More
- Our 'go to' gemPartyof6Dined on 1/10/2014This restaurant never fails us! We have been numerous times and it is always a hit and never a miss . The menu has been updated and offers more choices including for the vegetarians. The staff is always amazing. They are friendly but not intrusive, witty with the banter but not obnoxious, and keep an eye out in case you need something. It is a lively place on weekend nights but an amazing place during the week for business lunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hail to the new head chef.BzerkeleyVIPDined on 1/8/2014Hail to the new head chef. Rib eye steak and sides were wonderful as were the signature guilty fries. The basket of chicken was nice and crspy but be warned that sauce is HOT! The craft cocktails were fun and tasty. The banana split was wonderful - and although it looked gooey - it was not that sweet.
- Work in progressSFLillyDined on 1/6/2014Solid service; a nice place to retreat from a very gritty downtown Oakland that has extremely limited dining choices. Try the strata for something tasty and filling.
- A good first visitJanButlerVIPDined on 1/3/2014We started with the mushroom pâté which was very tasty. Our server even brought us extra toast. We then had the Brussel sprouts, hamburger, and fried chicken. All were very good. I like the booth seating, very roomy. I look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pork chop and collard greens- yummPassthewineDined on 12/28/2013Great food, guilty pleasures. Free and easy parking. Great bartenders!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousMMcIVIPDined on 12/20/2013Great lunch. Nice selections of food and drink. We had their in house made root beer & lemonade. They were wonderful. The food was yummy; portions were larger than I expected. I will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tribune TavernJoelDined on 12/10/2013Wanted to try this restaurant for a while based on the Shepard's Pie. It didn't disappoint. Very nice flavors. The small little olive dish was a bit of a disappointment with 90% of the olives being a super small variety with very little meat. Salad was excellent as well as the fried grits. Drinks are well done. Nice collection of beers and a well done Margarita during happy hour was only $5. The restaurant is amazingly loud. Service was good but seemed disorganized. We had two waiters, I'm still not really sure who was our lead person. They both kept coming by and taking care of us?Special Features:
- All kinds of guilty foodyoyomaDined on 12/9/2013And good drinks to wash it all down! Very enjoyable time had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our evening at Tribune TavernshippolyDined on 12/7/2013Our evening at Tribune Tavern got off to a slightly rocky start. Our waiter initially seemed a little brusque and disinterested but we warmed him up quickly and things improved from there. Our food was wonderful for the most part. We started with the plain fries and the cheese plate - we ordered more fries. We could have used a bit more cheese for 4 people. Two of our dining partners had the rib eye steak and raved though one did mention that her potatoes were burnt on the bottom. I had the cod that had a delicious sauce and even though I am not a brussel sprout fan, I ate a few, they were roasted, crispy and buttery all at once.The mussels with pernod were screaming as well. Good strong drinks though the wine pour was skimpy.Special Features:
- Service could have been betterJaneDined on 12/6/2013I hosted lunch on Friday December 6 for a group of 7 co-workers. The waitstaff were all nice, but the service was not efficient. Too long before our orders were taken, too long before the food arrived, too long to see the dessert menu, etc. Also some of the orders had missing items: no beets on one person's cod salad plate, not enough chicken in one person's fried chicken sandwich.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another uneven service experienceoaklandeaterVIPDined on 12/6/2013I've been to Trib now at least 6 times, all for lunch, as my office is a block away, and the service is consistently inconsistent. The servers are very friendly and nice, but every one of them seems to take a long time either taking the order, bringing the order, or especially bringing the check. If Trib would work out this big kink, and change up the menu occasionally, it would be a much more desirable place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tribune TavernOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/25/2013Went for an office group lunch on a Monday. They were temporarily out of chicken. so no chicken sandwich, really? Hamburger was good but nothing special. French fries were below average and cold. Expected better given the number of folks I've seen hanging out there. Maybe this is more of a pub scene. Will try it again for beer or wine only.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The burger was the best thingJamesDined on 11/24/2013The burger was the best thing we ate which included also the market salad, (kinda one note) the rarebit (unremarkable), the fried chicken (average), and the kale salad (which was excellent). Liked the wine on tap, Chicken on a Raft!
- great timebollingerDined on 11/24/2013My family went for brunch to celebrate a birthday. All of us enjoyed the food, especially the polenta pancake. It was a great experience for our first time. Not many people at 2 on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious with great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/21/2013We are regular diners at Tribune Tavern and have written a few stories about them for a local website. It's been a very solid dinner spot and we love the cocktail menu. Our server this time was just incredibly warm, funny, and enthusiastic about the menu and the drinks. Mind you, we've had several good servers at Tribune, but C. was a great guide and host. Our guest, who had not been to TT before, loved the cod/chowder dish she ordered and the wine she chose. We all love that the sides and starters are highlights. We order the kale salad almost every time and enjoy items from all parts of the menu.Special Features:
- Decent Food, but weird servicebusinessdinerVIPDined on 11/19/2013Food was decent, though portions were surprisingly small for the price. Service was weird though......we saw our server a few times, but otherwise, other people kept coming over and clearing dishes. At one point, someone came to take the silverware? Even though we were eating dessert?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Style over substance and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2013Good drinks. Terrible service. Way too loud to have a conversation. Forgettable food and unappealing presentation. Our group of 4 made a reservation, showed up on time and were shown to our table quickly. We sat for 20 minutes before getting our drink orders in. This wouldn't a big deal if they were slammed but we saw more than a handful of tables sitting empty throughout our visit. Mine showed up as the wrong drink but I accepted it anyway. We sat for an hour before our first appetizer came out, which was the wrong dish. Another 10 minutes before the correct app showed up. The food was fine but not worth the price. Terrible plating/presentation and mediocre flavor for the grand descriptions in the nicely designed menu.Special Features:
- Bravo, Tribune Tavern!ShannonDined on 11/15/2013First off, a lot of love goes out to Brad the awesome bartender. He was knowledgeable about both the bar and the food selections. Steered us in a great direction and we couldn't have been happier. The food was delicious and the beer was icy cold and tasty. (Nice selection on tap!) I will make this a regular stop for lunch, happy hour, and dinner. I love it when Oakland has a great place to spend time...Tribune Tavern is a gem.Special Features:
- Great place to have a nice mealProdo1Dined on 11/10/2013We've been to the Tribune Tavern a couple of times once for dinner and once for brunch. The food both times was very good and the service was excellent. It's not located in the best neighborhood in Oakland but it is close to BART and in a very nice art-deco building in down town Oakland. I plan on making this one of my regular hang outs.Special Features:
- Upscale sports bar-ish vibe.TheBlizardDined on 11/9/2013Upscale sports bar-ish vibe. Recommended : the fries w toppings, and the steak.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodRayray22Dined on 11/6/2013This was my first time here. It was a business lunch and everyone enjoyed the food. Very Cute. Would be fun for after work drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat Where the Journalists EatandrewsjrDined on 11/5/2013I loved the Tribune Tavern - the place has a great old fashioned men's club feeling about it. Superb cocktails made by someone who really knew what they were doing, food was good enough and the staff could not have been nicer. I will definitely make this one,of my go to places in Oakland.Special Features:
- Try try againmy2lincolnsDined on 11/1/2013I would try again but I didn't care for the grilled cheese.... the bread was too thick or not enough cheese. Just okay. Location is great for us and value is great. We are bringing a group for happy hour soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Downtown Oakland has a new winnercalboy1976Dined on 10/22/2013Great spot for dinner before heading over toi the Paramount or The Fox. Interesting menu, good wine list and a very solid bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- salty & loud!mpingosVIPDined on 10/19/2013Wanted to love it but unfortunetly there was a really loud party going on. our waiter was great, helping us pick one of the really good tap wines they have. We tasted 3-4 before choosing. The hamburger was rare not medium & was salty. the fried chicken was a little burnt, & was over brined. we tried the special bread pudding for dessert which was ok. all in all, would not go back for food but definitely for a drink or twoSpecial Features:
- Mellow placeOutOfTownerDined on 10/19/2013Nice layout, dark paneling. Recalls the old newsy days. Very quiet the Saturday lunch that we were there, but the BART strike was going on and it was a beautiful day, so most folks were probably out on their bicycles. Great place to meet friends. Bar drinks were imaginative and good. Easy location and parking on the weekends. Appreciate the revitalization of downtown Oakland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Pre-Show spot For DinnerRickHVIPDined on 10/11/2013We went to a show at the Fox just up Telegraph a few blocks from the a Tribune Tavern. This was a perfect place for a nice meal, offering a little bit of something for everyone before a short walk up to the Fox. If you are going to be in downtown Oakland for dinner, it's not a bad choice.Special Features:
- The place was great for myShoshDined on 10/10/2013The place was great for my group of 12 to celebrate a couple birthdays. We enjoyed the food, it was great and the restaurant has a very cool vibe to it.Special Features:
- At lunch I ordered a sandwichKattyDined on 10/9/2013At lunch I ordered a sandwich and salad, which would have been fabulous were it not for the fact that the salad contained as much (if not more) salt as the sandwich meat. It appears to be a local trend now for chefs to salt salads as if they were a piece of meat. A fresh green salad is not meat and does not require salt (unless requested by the customer).
- great casual place, lunch,joseVIPDined on 10/8/2013great casual place, lunch, after work and evenings easy parking feels safe, given the fact its in OaklandSpecial Features:
- Swing and a Missluv2dinedeuxVIPDined on 10/5/2013I get the impression this was really intended to be a bar/happy hour place that also happens to serve food. I wish I'd known. We arrived to a gorgeous, well thought-out space that really does its rich history justice. However, our server was aloof from the get go and disinterested the whole night. We saw many tables around us come and go during our long visit and we once thought the bus boy might have been our server because we saw him more often. That notwithstanding, the food was also disappointing. The menu is limited and could best be described as pub food. The price tag would suggest fine dining, however. The fries were also the frozen tasteless type, and they feature often on the limited menu often. We didn't try the drinks.Special Features:
- Not much to offer from the kitchen.FoodVIPDined on 10/5/2013Brunch food was not good. Colcannon was greasy. Polenta Pancake was heavy and dry. Duck Confit was a hunt to find the duck and totally tastelesss. Scones were delightful. Waitress did not understand a table that wanted to take our time and chat. We told her and she kept coming back and interupting. There were only 3 tables the entire time we were there so a crowd was not the problem. She made it difficult to have a lazy breakfast with friends. Wine list not big but fairly priced. I doubt we will return because the food was very poorly prepared. There were onlSpecial Features:
- Great burger, lousy friesjaz2020VIPDined on 10/4/2013The good: fine Shepherd's Pie. Tuna/Egg sandwich open face, marvelous housemade bread, exquisite baby arugula side--a perfect summer variant of Nicoise salad. The burger was marvelous, magnificent--almost as good as Vault 164/SMateo (needs a brioche bun for that extra step up). The bad: service amateur (why write down a cup of soup if you only forget about it?). Kitchen painfully slow: took over half-hr between starter and entrees altho place was almost empty and we were there early. Fries are absolutely terrible; dry as dust and inedible when cold. Pork on poutine was tasty but grossly oversalted. Parking difficult here; noise is ear-splitting. But yes, we'll come back for that burger and pie--yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchChrisDined on 10/3/2013Lunch menu was very good, Pork sandwich was moist, flavorful and savory! Root Beer was to die for!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sun. BrunchSBfoodie71VIPDined on 9/29/2013Very quiet--like three other tables. Menu was VERY limited. Grilled cheese sandwich hardly grilled--not much taste. The burger was well executed. Maybe we were too early, maybe a scene in the evening, but no reason to go there on a Sunday morn.Special Features:
- Happy placefamilyoffoodiesDined on 9/27/2013This is a fun place to go for a casual evening out. The staff is uniformly happy, accommodating, friendly and helpful. The food, though not for those on a health kick, is yummy & unique - bar food with a twist. There is an extensive selection of wines and beers to choose from . The servers did not miss a beat. Terrific place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not your average tavernFirstTimerDined on 9/25/2013This is the upscale version of a British pub. The food is much more flavorful and thoughtful. The ambiance is more like an after-work watering hole. By work I mean office work. I'd think twice before strolling in here in my torn up weekend jeans. The Guilty Fries sounded amazing, and were. I'm always a sucker for some pulled pork though. The Bangers and Mash weren't the best I'd ever had but decent. I tried some of my friend's Shepherd's Pie which was well seasoned and delicious. The goat cheese cheesecake was sumptuous. They have a good selection of local beers here which is refreshing. For the number of craft breweries we have in the bay, I'm frequently disappointed in the selection in restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at The Tribune TavernCaboDined on 9/24/2013Highly energetic!! The menu has a mix of British Pub food like Shepard's Pie, Bangers and Mash, and Fries. Also in the menu includes American and French inspired food. From Fried Chicken to Frisee Salad with Figs and Duck Confit. You can also order steak for only $36. Overall, very good experience at the Tribune Tavern. Great selection of wine, beer, and spirits. Great place to go to after work to dine.Special Features:
- The hustle and bustleOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/20/2013Been here a few times, but this was the first time not for happy hour. really enjoyed the meal, the food was as described in the menu (no surprise changes, subtractions, sauces, etc.). Place was rocking on a Friday night. Despite the crowd and the noise, service was great. Will return.Special Features:
- DisappointedSusieQDined on 9/19/2013Place is really a sports bar. Noise level impossible for conversation. Food was disappointing. My hamburger and fries arrived luke-warm. It was down hill from there. I've lived in Oakland all my life and the Tribune Tower building is an iconic landmark. Hope the food gets better.