Old Town Social
455 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60610Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Old Town Social
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.oldtownsocial.com/
- Phone: 3122662277
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jared Van Camp
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: Cleveland St.
- Public Transit: CTA Brown Line: Exit at the Sedgwick stop and head north to North Ave. Proceed west to the corner of North and Cleveland.
CTA Red Line: Exit at the North & Clybourn stop. Upon exiting the station head east (right) and proceed 4 blocks east past Larabee until reaching Cleveland.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Neighborhood parking available. Valet available Thursday through Saturday after 6pm.
A word from Old Town Social
Unassuming, understated simplicity. What makes an eatery great - and timeless - is its ability to create an ambiance that evokes an emotional response. At Old Town Social, we aim to offer a handcrafted return to the basics; a focus on the simple, yet often overlooked, aspects of a neighborhood favorite. In today's current climate, a night to celebrate life's simple pleasures with tasty food, handcrafted cocktails, great beer and wine, and a devil-may-care attitude is indeed a rare gift. So - to those who shun "the scene", welcome. To those who lead a sporting lifestyle, we offer a hearty embrace. We humbly hope you enjoy our rakish tip-of-the-hat...Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Old Town Social reviews from OpenTable diners
41 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (22)neighborhood gem (19)vibrant bar scene (18)fit for foodies (14)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (13)hot spot (12)great for brunch (9)romantic (7)special occasion (6)kid-friendly (4)notable wine list (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- Great Name To Match the AmbienceDBPatentVIPDined on 12/26/2013Lot's of comfort foods made with excellent preparation. The room with a fireplace gives the place its name. Excellent selection of beers and wines. A fun place for a group to relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hadn't been there in a longAnnieMBDined on 12/2/2013Hadn't been there in a long time. Must go back again soon. Great food, wine, service. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for football on SundayJamieDined on 11/17/2013Fantastic food. Friendly service. HUGE beer and cocktail list. Plenty of tv's and the NFL Sunday ticket. If you're tired of typical bar food/ extended frat house vibe and want to go someplace to watch the game where you can be comfortable and eat a decent meal, this is the place. It is not cheap, but it is worth the price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for game dayshelloVIPDined on 11/10/2013Place is great for a bulls or bears game but that's about it. Went for brunch but it was subpar. Be aware that the "old town classic breakfast" says hash brown casserole but it's really cheesy potatoes. Still good just not same as hash browns.Special Features:
- Awesome Food with a Great Bar SceneOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013Menu seemed to be really catered to watching games and having a few drinks with friends. The sweet potato fries and pepper cheese poppers were great. It isn't necessarily the best place for a date, but it was a great place to grab snacks before seeing a Second City show. Coffee is served in a small french press, and that was awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't get the burgerMocakesVIPDined on 10/18/2013So, I've been here for brunch and it was pretty good from what I remember. However when my husband and I went on night before at comedy show, we both got burgers. Why? Because it sounded good on the menu. I changed my pattie to a turkey burger to try and be healthy. So, when we got our dinner - it was bad! Both of our burgers had zero taste and to me felt like they went to Costco and bought frozen patties. Maybe I will go back, but I will chose something different.
- Old Town Social is the bestmmaggioDined on 10/16/2013I have been coming here for years, and it never gets old. There was a stretch there were I was going to Brunch at least one day a weekend for probably 15-20 weekends in a row. They have hands down my favorite brunch of all time. If you go, get the eggs Sardou, or the BLT Benedict, and do yourself a favor by getting a side of the hashbrown casserole. Make sure to ask for ketchup too...they make it in house, and it is pretty delicious. They do specials too, so make sure you check them out. In the 4 years I have been there, they have only done this once, but if you ever see the Huevos Rancheros as a special get it. Go St. Patty's day weekend and get the corn beef and cabbage too. One of the most delicious things I have ever eaten.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I gave low ratings becauseNY2CHIDined on 10/12/2013I gave low ratings because generally I do love Old Town Social, but the last experience was VERY unpleasant. Something must have happened in the kitchen... it was SO slow for our food to come out and we had very simple meals, mainly a couple of salads. The waitress didn't check in on us too often or let us know how long the food would take. I brought my family there because they were in town visiting and I always rave about it... hopefully better luck next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My husband had the coney burger,lindsayVIPDined on 9/30/2013My husband had the coney burger, and said it was one of his favorite burgers in the city. Mac and cheese is phenomenal tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great mid-week hangoutsofiadujourVIPDined on 9/25/2013Delicious seasonal beer, satisfying burgers and sweet potato fries! We really enjoyed the ambiance, especially on a weekday evening.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the beer selections andMichluvs2dineVIPDined on 9/8/2013Love the beer selections and the specials like the pulled pork sandwiches on football game day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old Town Chicago GastropubPagedDined on 8/29/2013Extensive drink menu and house made meats. Hard to recommend any one thing on the menu. There is something for everyone. If you haven't tried it, put it at the top of your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- weekend brunchersjsvbDined on 8/25/2013reservation was helpful but not necessary for sunday brunch; saturday's a different story. the place can fill up quickly depending on what's going on in the city that day. good food overall tho the biscuits and gravy were lacking a little something. great environment for socializing and catching up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding destination at any hourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/24/2013Old Town Social in Chicago was a tremendous find. The menu was unique and wide-ranging, enabling any family to find food for all. We went for brunch (Cornmeal-bacon waffles w/ sausages were a taste sensation; BLT Benedict w/ smoked pork belly and arugula was described as "magical"). ... there was plenty of seating and the room was relaxed and airy, while still being happy. This is a place where you want to have a second cup of coffee and chat and laugh. ... Service was excellent at all levels ... Old Town Social is also a sports bar, but the TVs can be hidden in walls and ceilings and closets so when it's not game-time the restaurant can be flexible and have the proper mood and ambiance fitting the day and hour. ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Old Town spot with fresh foodLSFChicGoDined on 8/21/2013This is a great place for dinner before Second City, or a good place to hang out. Large bar area, and adjacent dining areas. Food is locally sourced and very good. We had burgers, and they offer a variety, but the flatbread and mussels looked good too, and my simple green salad had arugula and other greens and was deliciously dressed and peppered to make it special. Would return any time I'm in the area. Very enjoyable place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, Poor serviceLouGDined on 8/17/2013Waited for about 20 minutes for someone to take our order or to bring us water, but no one stopped at our table. Wasn't crowded. Maybe the waiter or waitress was late for work. The food is decent, but not enough to offset the poor service.Special Features:
- Mixed reviewWangerVIPDined on 8/16/2013Server was very knowledgable. Both burgers were over cooked and very dry ( was supposed to be medium) Great beer selection. Asked for a few extra pickles to help moisten the dry burgers. Got charged a dollar! You have to be kidding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinning. Not sure I'd go backOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2013The food quality and quantity were good. The wine and beer choices were endless. Overall, the place is great and attractive. However, lighting was extremely low. We literally had to use our cell phones to shine over the menu and food to read what we wanted to order and to finally see what we were eating. Of course, there were a couple of candles on the table, but worthless. The bill came as a lump sum, which was suspicious. There was not an itemized bill. We requested an itemized bill and found that a couple of drinks not requested for our table were charged to our bill. We got a refund anyway. Would I go back or recommend? maybe. We were a party of 7 and none of us was too thrilled about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Burgers!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/23/2013We used a Gilt City coupon to get burgers, sides, and beers. All were excellent. I really enjoy the miss-matched chairs. It's a comfortable vibe. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Paradise FoundgoodeatsseekerDined on 7/20/2013Wanted a place near Second City before a show and found one. Everyone in our party enjoyed the food, as well as the wine and beer. All the varieties of tacos were all delicious, as were the fish sandwich and burgers. Would love to go back when not in a rush and nibble through the small plates. I would try the flights of wine and food. Loved the experience; the atmosphere was vibrant without drowning out our conversations. Highly recommend to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice menu, friendly and promptOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/1/2013Nice menu, friendly and prompt service. Fish sandwich was yummy and the brioche bun it was served on was excellent. BBQ brisket sandwich also good. No sides come with sandwiches, so remember to add those if you're hungry!
- worst service i've had in yearsfoodie19Dined on 6/19/2013I had a terrible experience here. The service was terrible. They screwed up our order and did not properly handle it when I brought it to their attention. It was one bad thing after the next. The waitress and manager did not know what real customer service should be.Special Features:
- Slow serviceCasseoDined on 6/16/2013We arrived at 5:15 and were seated immediately. They were not busy at all. Our waitress came around. The food order took longer than we expected and I went to find our waitress to check on it, we couldn't understand what took so long since they were not busy. When it arrived it was warm and they forgot my soup. It came about 5 minutes before we left. The food at best was only fair. It might be a great drinking bar, but probably wouldn't go back to dine.Special Features:
- A lot of the food is friedDecentVIPDined on 6/7/2013A lot of the food is fried and it is not mentioned in the menu description. The burgers are very good but everything else we had was average.
- Good meal before Second CitypiovereDined on 5/28/2013Came here while visiting from out of town before a second city show (it's only a few blocks from the theater). The service was a little spotty, but not too bad. Burgers were pretty good and the duck wings were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, terrible wine listSharonVIPDined on 5/26/2013I like this place. The charcuterie is wonderful, and the donuts are a treat. The service is great. There is an extensive beer list that is fun. However, I often drink wine and the wine list is terrible; that could really be improved. And the noise level is high; I were prefer slightly less "energetic".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Dinnerafc1Dined on 5/18/2013Took my girl here for her birthday dinner. Sat in a curtained booth, shared Mac n cheese and sweet potato fries. I had a huge burger with a fried egg on top, she had a chicken flatbread sandwich and we both loved our food. Then we had a plate of soprasetta and some Grafton cheddar cheese. Great beer list, good wine choices too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spotTaurusFoodiesDined on 5/18/2013Excellent service and extensive bar menu. Tasty food with some creative twists- though I wouldn't call it foodie-worthy. Swank, upper scale sports bar vibe but still comfortable and even "homey" in the rounded booths. We were in a party of 8 ladies, and all were pleased and lived the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FlawlessLBWANKONOBIDined on 5/17/2013I picked this place because we live in the burbs now, have never been there, looked cool online and was meeting friends in from Boston. Our experience was flawless from the minute we valeted the car until we walked out. The food was exceptional as was the service and atmosphere. Please don't change anything.Special Features:
- A Little DisappointedFrancesVIPDined on 5/9/2013Nobody acknowledged my bday. The tacos were scrimpy. My friend's mac was pretty good. Love the Sweet Potato Fries w/ avocado. Always pretty bomb. The drinks are pretty good, and I love the old chub scotch ale. But the doughnuts - huge dud.Special Features:
- Good stuff!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/1/2013I really enjoyed Old Town Social. My girlfriends and I were looking for a place in Old Town and we found this. It had great atmosphere and great food. I would definitely recommend this place. It was a great night and I would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance and decor forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2013Great ambiance and decor for intimate sit down with small group of friends or 2 people. Bar area was very alive and vibrant (Sunday evening). Staff was very friendly and accommodating. I wasn't crazy about anything I ordered (very bland) but the menu is eclectic and everything sounds delicious. I will go back to try the other dishes for the decor and setting makes it worth it.Special Features:
- I went with a group of 7 forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/21/2013I went with a group of 7 for brunch on a Sunday. The music was incredibly loud for that time of day! We asked twice if they would turn it down. Something went wrong with one of my friend's meals and we were all practically done eating by the time she got her food. They were very apologetic about it and asked if she wanted anything while she waited. Overall it's a fine place but I wouldn't go back with a large group for brunch. It's a good happy hour spot.
- First visit and truly lovedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013First visit and truly loved it. From the first step inside the door to the check arriving...everything went extremly well. Food was excellent, great flavor and awesome presentations. Will return!Special Features:
- It gets very loud. After 10OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/6/2013It gets very loud. After 10 p.m. the whole vibe changes from loungy to more of a night club feel.Special Features:
- Server was either incompetentdonjoVIPDined on 4/6/2013Server was either incompetent or uninterested, but it should not be the customer's job to figure out which. The evening was damaged either way. Add to this the intolerable noise level and it's just too much bad stuff and more than offsets the very good food.Special Features:
- This place is very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/23/2013This place is very expensive for what it is, with a staff that seems easily overwhlemed. One of the items deliverd to the table was the wrong thing, and the server insisted it was I who had made the mistake. Very loud. TVs were blaring as well as the stereo.
- Highly recommended for all occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/19/2013I had the raw kelp salad with grilled chicken, delicious! This place accommodates many crowds - a great place for a date or an evening out with a group of friends. I haven't been for a night out on the weekend yet, but there was plenty of bar space. I took a friend here for dinner on her first time out in Chicago and she loved it. The ambiance is casually classy, quiet enough for good conversation yet energetic. Prices are very reasonable. We spent $60 total (including gratuity) for a meal for 2 including craft beers (the drink selection is spectacular!).Special Features:
- Cold food, forgotten drinks,OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/17/2013Cold food, forgotten drinks, incredibly loud music at 1:00 on a Sunday....
- TonymuzOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013Food was good but certain items where way over priced like the $8 egg and cheese biscuit with ham!?!? Really $8 for a biscuit???? The place is big and roomy which I like. Went there over St. Patricks Day weekend and was very loud. Too loud to have a lunch.Special Features: