12857 Highland Road
Highland, MD 20777Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.highlandinnrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4432763202x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00 am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm; Saturday: 5pm-9:30pm ; Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:30pm
Closed Saturday Lunch for Private Parties & Events
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Wilbur Cox Jr.
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Highland Inn
Welcome to Highland Inn! Our menu focuses on seasonal foods and purity of flavors, using only the freshest, highest-quality ingredients and utilizing sustainable foods from local farmers whenever possible. Highland Inn offers a wine list personally selected by Proprietor Brian Boston to complement our menu. Our goal is for every bottle of wine to be of great quality, regardless of price. We have a wide variety of wines by the glass as well as an interesting array of domestic, imported and craft beers. At Highland Inn, guest service is very important. We strive to ensure our servers are friendly, knowledgeable and professional; building long-lasting relationships with our guests is paramount. Our logo is meant to reflect diversity, strength and deep roots in the community. It also speaks to our commitment of being a certified green restaurant. In making our purchasing decisions, the impact on the environment plays a fundamental role.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Highland Inn - Best Restaurants in Columbia ›
Highland Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (120)fit for foodies (105)neighborhood gem (76)romantic (71)notable wine list (68)great for outdoor dining (56)scenic view (47)great for brunch (34)good for groups (25)great for lunch (24)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (12)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Fine Dining in HighlandfrancieDined on 5/31/2014The restaurant is in a restored house in a bucolic setting, close to Columbia. We were seated promptly, and our server, Kathy, provided excellent service from start to finish. As appetizers, the grilled octopus and the grilled caesar salad topped with fried oysters were very good. For entrees, the monkfish was cooked perfectly as was the crabcake. Of note was the food presentation, which was creatively done. The wine list was comprehensive and the pricing was in-line with other restaurants of this type. The Highland Inn is a welcome addition to a suburban area that has few fine dining choices. We will most definitely return.Special Features:
- Upscale non-chainFoodie1Dined on 5/31/2014Great upscale non-chain spot to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatCharlieDined on 5/31/2014Must say that food was superb Having eaten at their other restaurant north of Baltimore many times, this will probably be just as great. But, a little more fine tuning. Request an upstairs table. We were seated on the basement level which was noisy and watched attendants clear an earlier party during our entire dinner. Not the best view into the back woodlands. The upstairs is much more in tone with the Milton inn. We will be going back thoughSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful FindECpairDined on 5/30/2014Went with trepidation for an anniversary dinner because of uneven prior reviews. The experience was wonderful-attentive staff and outstanding food, particularly the shrimp and grits. A real find in a beautiful setting.Special Features:
- not very goodDidfidDined on 5/28/2014needs a lot of work, from food through service or they won't survive. too many better restaurants in washington area at that price range.
- Warmth missingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Ala carte dishes should be served a bit more artistically. Dishes were good but very expensive. Kale and dessert were great. Staff needs to be a bit smoother. Place is a bit cold. Not charming warm place I expected. I felt like I was at country club. Wrong vibe.
- Inconsistent and overpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/24/2014Our service was excellent and the bartender was friendly. My shrimp and grits entree was good but my wife's was not great. Her fish was well cooked, but the pea risotto was very bland. We did appreciate the gluten free menu. For a restaurant with these kinds of prices, you shouldn't walk out saying "I guess I should have ordered something else". I'm glad I had purchase the groupon, or I would have been a little more upset. The decor upstairs was a little pretentious, with a horse racing theme and wall murals. We took a peek downstairs, it was much more modern and looked over the walk out patio. The bar was modern and comfortable, but with cocktails in the $15 range I would venture somewhere else. We were hoping for a local gem...not yet.Special Features:
- Highland InnOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/22/2014Would definitely go back. I had read reviews that service was not very good, if anything it was a little bit too attentive which is not a bad thing except I had not seen this friend of mine in quite awhile and we were in no hurry and wanted to dine leisurely and at times felt pressured to order (although we ordered at our own pace). Overall, very good experience with great quality food.Special Features:
- Caring service & great foodBaltimoreSandTVIPDined on 5/20/2014Dining at the Highland Inn was a true pleasure. The servers were excellent and anticipated our needs. The menu and specials had so many interesting items that it made our selection difficult. The food was a step above any other we've tried in Howard County. We'll be back.Special Features:
- The following 48 reviews are from the Highland Inn reviews archive.
- We love this restaurantf1fanDined on 5/14/2014There were 2 of us. Martinis were perfect, service was attentive, and food was excellent. Had PEI mussels and clams casino--both well done. The shrimp and grits were outstanding and the pork chop was excellent. We also loved the carrot cake and the chocolate cake. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014Great place that has a good wine list and excellent food. Nice setting and service was outstanding. Couldn't have been happier with the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- High Stars for HighlandHighlandStarsDined on 5/11/2014This was the first time my family has gone to the Highland Inn. We picked it for our traditional Mother's Day dinner. The Inn was very accommodating of us, especially as we have one person with a gluten intolerance. The wait staff was very knowledgeable about the ingredients of the food and we were able to enjoy a very pleasant afternoon.Special Features:
- Diamond in the Rough007FoodWatcherDined on 5/11/2014Driving up to the restaurant I was presently surprised at how quaint and romantic the restaurant appeared - it almost looks like a bed and breakfast and the "Inn" in their name is very appropriate. They had a very nice outdoor eating area and everyone was very friendly. I went for Mother's Day brunch and they seemed to be a little overwhelmed with the volume of customers. The service was a little slow and the waitress, although extremely nice, seemed to be a little frazzled. They had a pre fixed menu which had a good variety of dishes at a fair price - $35. My wife had Chicken Fired Steak, which she enjoyed and I had Chicken and Waffles. My Chicken was cooked very well; however, there was nothing special about the waffles - dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit to the Highland InnpositivejoeDined on 5/11/2014We chose Mothers day to try the Highland Inn for brunch. The food was awesome shrimp and grits were so good my wife is making me take he back next weekend to have it as a main course. It was quite crowded so service was a little slow but as expected. Should be better on a normal dinner weekend but a must trySpecial Features:
- Bountiful brunchNLJAADined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's Day brunch. Three courses for 35 dollars. Way too much food for brunch and it would have been nicer to order ala carte. The food was good though, very tasty. Service was slow but our waitress did finally notice that out toddler had just about had it so she rushed the check and brought dessert to go which was nice. Due to the price I probably won't be back unless it's a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great - but PriceyjennycDined on 5/9/2014I purchased a Groupon to Highland Inn. My husband had the shrimp and grits as recommended by several employees and it was excellent. I ordered the appetizer scallops as an entree. It wasn't until we received the bill that I realized that I was served the scallops entree (twice the price of the appetizer). I can't entirely blame the waiter as I could have been more clear when I ordered. The scallops were cooked perfectly and quite tasty. We ordered a dessert of ice cream with caramel sauce which was excellent. Definitely for special occasions because it is quite expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelmedjlb1Dined on 5/9/2014I had heard great things, and looked forward to dinner. Our table wasn't ready, and there was no suggestion to wait at the bar, even though we had more than a few minutes' wait. Initially, our service was attentive. It went downhill from there, with a long wait for our dinner entrees, and then we got totally ignored once the bill was given. We were not the only ones waiting for our food for an extended period of time. The food itself was acceptable, but not the amazing experience I was expecting. The seafood chowder was odd, and my first offering didn't contain any visible seafood. I was unsure if I had received the right soup. The server rectified the situation quickly and happily, but shouldn't have needed to. Understaffed?
- So disappointingMikeVIPDined on 5/9/2014We had such high expections for the Highland Inn given the reputation of the chef. We were so completly disappointed. The Martinis were barely one half full when one removed the olives or onions. When we complained to our server before the second round,he could care less. The second roundwas similar. Our server failed to announce the daily specials. It took 1/2 hour to receive our drinks. The wine was delvered to the table and it took 20 minutes to have it opened. The entrees were delivierd incomplete and not as described on the menu. The entrees were presented on bare plates and we had to ask for the accompaniements. The server was rude at that point telling us we were mistaken. An abominable experience.
- wonderful experiencepatandscottDined on 5/4/2014Food Was Great. Great Service. Celebrated Our Anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we've come to expectags1224Dined on 5/3/2014Our server didn't tell us about any specials so we had to ask, his reply was 'there are none'. Later he came back to tell us there had been a lobster special but they sold out and that there was a soup. When the salads and appetizers came he brought the wrong one to me we waited for the corrected item to arrive. We were seated at 7:30 our entrees didn't arrive until 8:45 and when they did they sat on the table in the hall waiting for him to bring them to us. He never did and finally someone else brought them, they weren't cold, but they weren't hot either.Special Features:
- One of our new favorite restaurantsDebbieVIPDined on 4/26/2014By chance, we dined here 2 Saturdays in a row and both experiences were excellent. The back room on the first floor has great ambience and is quiet so you can hear your party's conversation while you eat. All of our meals were consistently good. We have tried the lamb chops, the pork, rockfish, shrimp & grits, rib eye and scallops. Sides were also well prepared. Salads were excellent. The only thing that was disappointing was the tiramisu. It was heavy and dense not like others I have had that are much lighter and creamier. Would definitely recommend for dinner and plan to try lunch soon.Special Features:
- Exquisite!EichVIPDined on 4/23/2014Lovely setting in a quiet environment with great food and service. Great before or after going to the Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitPeterVIPDined on 4/12/2014We started with the pea-avacado-asparagus appetizer, and this was delicious and different. The salad was a good size, fresh and had the right amount of dressing. The entrees, pork chop and chicken, were also excellent. The only flaw was that the service was not quite up to the level of the food, but when we asked the waitress about the delay in bringing our food she ended up removing a glass of wine from the bill. We will definitely go back, since the food was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerJamesVIPDined on 4/9/2014Overall, it was enjoyable! The ingredients were a bit too complex (Winter menu) and heavy but interesting. The duck egg rolls were enjoyable with a delicious spicy/sweet drizzle and the wedge salad was fresh and tasty. Dry-aged pork chops were good but a little dry. The well-cleaned shrimp and grits were good; but, the shrimp was a bit overdone. The carrot cake was very good but would have been much better at room temperature. The wait staff were very cordial, friendly and attentive but not hovering. A few small things were missed like forgetting the butter for their delicious dinner rolls which were served hot, just out of the oven. Since the farm-to-table ingredients are seasonal, we will return for lighter Spring and Summer menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gem in Howard CountyFoodBossDined on 4/5/2014this is the second time I have eaten there. The first was a weekday for lunch upstairs. Very nice view and very quiet. This time we sat downstairs which I don't think is as nice and is very noisy. Meals are very delicious!Special Features:
- Early dinner at the Highland InnBanashreeVIPDined on 4/2/2014Returned for dinner to the Highland Inn. No amuse bouche but plenty of complementary bread fresh from the oven. We liked our drinks (Cidre and Martini) and our appetizers porkbelly and steak tartare were delicious. The main dishes rack of lamb and pork were both plentiful and tasty. The tiramisu was a bit too much creme for our taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExpensiveLocalResidentDined on 3/23/2014Great food; overall experience was nothing out of the ordinary. Very expensive, almost too expensive overall. I am familiar with Chef Boston from his Milton Inn Restaurant in Baltimore County; the menu and food reflect Boston's expertise (excellent!) If you're looking for pub food, you won't find it here. It was not crowded, so hopefully this restaurant will make it financially.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the good and the baddavieVIPDined on 3/23/2014We have been at this restaurant twice for brunch, and were looking for something special because the food is expensive. The smoked salmon was very good, but the foie gras was tasteless. My two fried eggs were about what you could make at home or get at Bob Evans, but the sausage was not good. The french toast was ok and the bacon was good.
- Birthday at Highland InnKathieDined on 3/16/2014My husband and I took our son and his girlfriend to the Highland Inn last weekend. It was Sunday night and beginning to snow so the place was quiet. This was our first visit and we had been looking forward to it. We were greeted by a friendly staff and the service was good throughout. We ordered several different appetizers and wine and everyone liked their choices. I thought the gnocchi needed a bit more salt, but the Pork Belly PBandJ turned out to be the hit of the evening. What an interesting combination of flavors! Then we ordered 4 different main dishes and enjoyed our choices and the wines were delicious. Dessert and some nice ports to finish. It was a delightful evening. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the first impression was not gooddavieVIPDined on 3/16/2014My wife and i invited another couple to go join us for Sunday brunch. This was our first visit to the Highland Inn. I ordered a omelette with two vegs and swiss cheese, and it came out with bleu cheese. I didn't send it back because to do so ruins the timing of the meal with the other diners, but I didn't like it with bleu cheese.The wives ordered eggs Benedict, and the bottoms of the english muffins were so hard that I had to ask for steak knives so that they could cut through them. This is a very expensive restaurant, and the food was very disappointing.
- Good & on an upward pathDwayneVIPDined on 3/15/2014This restaurant has been opened for just a few months; it is not yet fully polished. There is a considerable amount of potential for this place to become a really good, if not excellent, restaurant. I have no doubt the owner & management will continue to make adjustments and improvements. The menu is well designed; and there is a nice variety of good tasting selections. The braised short rib is tender and full of flavor. The foie gras is also flavorful, but I thought that it was overcooked -- so I was a little disappointed with that appetizer. The wait staff and servers are pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. Although, I don't think that they are working as a team -- as one would expect in this type of upscale establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but expensive.framyproctVIPDined on 3/14/2014Highland Inn is suitable for a special occasion. The food is fancy and delicious and the portions are small. Prices are high. As a vegetarian, I appreciated all the vegetables offered as side dishes. I got two, grilled asparagus and kale, and those were generously portioned and yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- less than what expectedktttVIPDined on 3/14/2014Very excited about a farm to table restaurant in the area, but was disappointed with rush of servive , was not ablre to finish our cheese /meat board which was served on a plain plate (not a nice board) and our entrees were served . the waitress took the plate away quickly and put our entree s on the table. also the wine pouring was disappointing as she quicky would fill glasses high as to tryiing to finish the bottle and at one pint she spilled wine on the table and never said a word.. the food was good but for the $ very small portions. Not as good as many of the other 'farm to table" placesd we have been.Special Features:
- Beautiful & ComfortableCatFolkVIPDined on 3/14/2014Our lunch experience was memorable. The restaurant is very nicely decorated and spacious. The seating and many windows made for a very comfortable dinning experience. The food was very good and the service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Highland!bjr4Dined on 3/13/2014We really liked the food. Our server was a little hard to understand with his accent. Plus the noise level is horrible. The two did not mix well. Nice murals and paintings to look at too.Special Features:
- Great addition to local scene!AllisonsnpDined on 3/8/2014I was delighted when this opened after riding my bike past the restaurant all last summer. We went with 2 other couple to celebrate my husband's birthday. We all eat out alot and were pleased with this place. They are clearly trying hard to set a hign standard, the wait staff is attentive without being hovering. The food was good and portion size was good. Wine list was also good. I will be interested to try this for lunch. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Upscale dining in the countrywellseasonedDined on 3/7/2014If you are looking for a upscale experience in the burbs then check out this restaurant. The food was excellent and the wine list has good wines at fair prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rich foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/1/2014Food very rich; good for special occasions but not for more occasional eating.Special Features:
- Food Outstanding, not everythingShannonDined on 3/1/2014Our experience started when we called to make reservations. The hostess quickly expressed that the only reservation available was 5:30, as this was not our desired time, we decided not to go to Highland Inn to eat. I decided to check Open Table which had reservation at 6, 6;30, 7, and 7:30. Once we arrived, we were seated promptly. We were eventually greeted by our waitress, it took a bit too long. She had to check with my husband 3 times to get his drink order correct, the order was Woodford Reserve on the rocks. We ordered an appetizer and salad and asked for bread. The salads arrived promptly, the appetizer never arrived, and we had to request the bread again. The food that was served was perfectly prepared and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and serviceBanashreeVIPDined on 2/28/2014We liked our soup, and stake tartar to start with. Then the Entree was great -- pork chop and shrimp with grits. To complete the dining we had citrus souffle. The wine recommendation was great. Great all in all. Great service -- Pam.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.