86 St Paul Street
Burlington, VT 05401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bluebirdvermont.com/
- Phone: 802-540-1786x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday 11:30-4:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday 4:30pm - 10:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Matt Corrente
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bluebird Parties! is our catering division that handles small to large events. For more information please contact email@example.com
- Entertainment: The Bluebird Tavern open kitchen and chef's table brings culinary excitement to the center stage. A tasteful flat-screen television is available at the bar making it a great place to catch a game or for solo diners. The Bluebird Tavern house music is a hand selection of "hot club" jazz of 1920s Paris.
- Cross Street: Bank St, Burlington, VT
- Public Transit: Located in the heart of downtown Burlington Bluebird Tavern can be accessed by CCTA bus services.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The St Paul St Parking garage is directly attached to Bluebird Tavern. Two City of Burlington Municipal lots are within a three block walking distance. Street parking is also available.
A word from Bluebird Tavern
At Bluebird Tavern our inventive New England Style cuisine is centered on farm fresh Vermont ingredients in a casual but elegant setting. Founded in 2009, Bluebird Tavern has been recognized by Bon Appetit Magazine, Food & Wine Magazine, and by the James Beard Foundation. Located in the heart of downtown Burlington, one block off of the Church St Marketplace, Bluebird Tavern offers a large bar area, open kitchen, chef's table, and an intimate dining room. Our cuisine is centered New England classics with a French and Italian influence. Fresh seafood straight from the docks in Boston, hand made pastas, and traditional tavern offerings such as our double burger are anchors of the Bluebird Tavern menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Bluebird Tavern - Best Restaurants in Burlington, VT ›
Bluebird Tavern reviews from OpenTable diners
38 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (18)neighborhood gem (16)great for outdoor dining (13)notable wine list (9)romantic (8)good for groups (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (6)great for brunch (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (3)Show More
- Fine Dining with Friendsbeach51Dined on 3/7/2014The main courses were excellent. The chicken cooked under a brick was excellent, moist and flavorful and the bed of heirloom beans and winter greens was savory. Scallops were seared perfectly and everyone enjoyed their various entrees and the lagniappe from the chef was special....the chef also came out to say hello and since he knew a member of our party treated us to a sampling of the yummy desserts...We loved it and will definitely go back. We had stayed away for a bit because the previous chef had gobs of butter and fat in everything and we just didn't enjoy the overall approach but we are glad to rediscover the bluebird.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant ever.nathalynynyDined on 3/2/2014I am moving away and have decided that I MUST return to Bluebird every time I visit Burlington. This place is incredible - I've had brunch (twice), lunch (once), and dinner (5-6 times, old & new locations) and I've honestly never been disappointed with any part of my experience. This is my first review ever (Yelp, Google+, OpenTable) and I'm overjoyed to be helping others find this wonderful dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The scene was pretty quietEPODEVIPDined on 3/1/2014The scene was pretty quiet when we went but the service was attentive and the food was good. They served a delightful amuse-bouche to start which was appreciated.Special Features:
- Love this placexmasboyDined on 2/15/2014I've been here twice now. Once for Mothers Day brunch and once for dinner. On both visits the food was great. Service was great. On my most recent visit I had the fresh made pasta with lamb. It was delicious. My son had the scallops, looked great and he finished it so I assume it was good. Definitely more food in the pasta dish than the scallop dish. We received a gift from the Chef that was some sort of duck on bite size piece of bread. It was very good. We also got a free appetizer for checking in that consisted of bread, local cheese and candied walnuts. Also very good. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed reviewBurlingtonLocalDined on 2/14/2014Ambience a little too cold - all black and white and bare walls and tiles. Hostess didn't try sticking us middle aged folk in a corner where we can't be seen. Always a good sign - noting the baby boomers have the bucks these days! Some dishes excellent and others almost inedible - all a matter of luck. Not sure why they got certain dishes so perfect and others so wrong. Manager may wish to sample all menu items and see for him/herself. The restaurant is fairly new in this location. They may want to improve the menu before the restaurant gets a bad reputation. Judging from the few excellent dishes the chef is very capable of making this a great place. Let's see!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Martinis and oystersAfterKidsDined on 2/12/2014Bluebird has great martinis and oysters, if you are a fan. The scallop dish was excellent.Special Features:
- The food and service was excellent.BrunoDined on 2/1/2014The food and service was excellent. I recommend it to anyone going to Berlingthon. Thank you very much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BluebirdCorinaDined on 1/31/2014I found this restaurant after looking for a place that served the local craft beers. Big on interesting food dishes as well, I was interested in finding local craft and great food in a tavern atmosphere. And that is exactly what it is. Super service as well as attendant general manager checking on everything in a subtle way. I had the appetizer Mussels, piled high in a light creamy white sauce (not heavy) with crusty chunks of bread. Just fine as a dinner entree. My dining partner had the Lamb Bolognese which came to the table piping hot, not overladen with sauce, just a perfect balance of interesting nuances. We shared a Cesear Salad that was nicely paired with a sweet olive oil cake. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Delicious food, friendly serviceKayakwomanDined on 1/21/2014Visiting Burlington for a mid-winter get-away and went to Bluebird for first night's dinner. The food was excellent, especially the Artic Char, which was perfectly done. The only disappointment was the panna cotta, which was thick like overcooked pudding instead of silky and was covered with granola, which didn't work for me. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the food was very over pricedbgeerDined on 1/18/2014the food was very over priced for the quality. The place was nice but just seemed to 'miss'. the spaghetti was flavorful but over priced at $22. The 2 types of pork - the pork cheeks were great but the rest of the dish was below average (over $30). The fish was not flavorful. The flat iron steak was just average (also over $30). For the cost, I would expect much more. We spent $184 for dinner for 4 and left hungry
- DisappointingGlobalguysDined on 1/4/2014Reading the menu, got my foodie taste buds going. Unfortunately, the food did not live up to it. The lamb boulognese was satisfactory, though the pasty was chewy. The Atlantic char was rather pedestrian, with not much flavor. I had two appetizers for dinner, or rather three. I ordered the rutabaga chowder on the recommendation of the waitress, but what came was a rather weak minestrone-like soup, with no rutabaga or cumin flavors. This was replaced by the fall greens salad, which was fantastic, with the dressing being light, tasty and interesting, perhaps the best dish of the night. The grilled octopus came as a fairly large portion, but unfortunately, it had a mushy texture and not much flavor. Good coffee. Overall, fair.Special Features:
- DisappointingvtredDined on 12/31/2013As noted above. the service was quite good. The host and an attentive bartender welcomed the four of us. Though I made reservations well in advance I was never informed of the prix fixe menu, nor was it posted on the website. Fortunately there were a few a l carte options. Two in our party ordered the arctic char, which is a favorite of mine. While it was cooked well, and presentation was appealing, the portion was quite small and the kale which accompanied it was undercooked. If it hadn't been for good company the evening would have been totally disappointing.
- The food had no taste what'sMannyDined on 12/31/2013The food had no taste what's so ever , the server gave me my desert before my dinner , it was a very uncomfortable dining experience , and to top it off very expensive .
- Anothr memorable anniversary dinnerOysterloverDined on 12/28/2013We dine at the Bluebird about once a year, and it seems to be getting better and better. Menu seems to be coming into its own, and food is wonderful. Always excellent wine, beer, and cocktail choices. We won't wait another year before returning.Special Features:
- This Bluebird Is Not TimidSlowpokeDined on 12/6/2013Although expecting a more formal setting, I was in no way disappointed with the vibe, the wine list or the exceptional nightly draught beer list. Being from Maine, it was especially pleasing to be able to order a Hill Farmstead, Edward. Although I was tempted to order the mussels, I thought they were a bit pricey. The Lamb Ragu was the perfect cold defense comfort food dish for that anticipated brisk night - nice portion, strong flavors and a little heat! My wife had a wonderful-tasting Chicken Under a Brick with sweet potato and chard ( both sides being a staple late Fall, early Winter showing on our own plates at home ). I will definitely return, even with so many other great choices downtown, if only for a bar seat and a Hill Farmstead!Special Features:
- Great dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/6/2013Food was excellent as were the cocktails. The servers were also very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu and appropriate wine parings. Great dinner at a reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceBruncherDined on 11/2/2013My wife and I had a wonderful dinner at the Bluebird Tavern - from the amazingly helpful and friendly staff to the fantastic dishes (Arctic Char and Lamb). The ambience is a perfect balance between an upscale restaurant and a friendly tavern from the brick facade and high ceilings to the heavy wooden chairs and table tops and candles on every table. I would definitely recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OKnoodleDined on 10/26/2013My main complaint was that I felt rushed. There was barely a wait for the first course, and no time at all between the first and second courses, and the server was always on top of us. I think we were in and out within a half hour. Food was good, with an enticing and interesting selection, but not overwhelming enough to match the prices. The wines seemed to all be European. Given prices like these, I want either dropdead outstanding food, or at least more than a half hour to occupy the real estate, sip my wine and chat.Special Features:
- Service was good and attententive.JebenhaDined on 10/11/2013Service was good and attententive. We ate outside. Was lovely evening. We all ordered the same thing - steak...Delivery of food was a little slow. And steak was precut...we all would have preferred to slice our own steak. All in all...food was good and we ate everything on our plates.Special Features:
- Wait for burger nightBonBonDined on 10/9/2013My Arctic char was dry; quinoa/leek lacking taste. Husband's monkfish over black rice was very tasty. Friends say Tuesday night $10 Burger Night is The Best. Will go back for that sometime. Service was marginal -- having been asked early on if we wanted bread, had to ask for it just before we finished dinner
- DisappointedDanODined on 10/5/2013I have been to the Bluebird for Sunday brunch and it was good. This meal was terrible. I had a Steak that was tasteless and my daughter had Risotto which had to be the worst Risotto I have ever seen in my life. The Risotto was watery like a soup instead of firm and creamy like Risotto should be. Seriously not sure if I will ever try the Bluebird again.
- Fine option in BurlingtonlovegoodfoodDined on 10/4/2013The decor is nice, the food is good, if not great. The service was very good . It's hard to say why we did not love this restaurant. The menu is quite small with no additions. Maybe thats what it is, I had trouble choosing something , and ended up with a burger. That being said, the burger was delicious, as were the fries. My husband had smokey spaghetti which was tasty, but a bit gummy. My son had a strip steak that was very good. He chose the steak by default as nothing else tempted him. We shared a grilled octopus, it was not bad. The potions are on the small side, which was fine by us, but if your a big eater, you might be disappointed.I think the B. T. is mostly lacking a personality, and point of view, that makes it stand out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bluebird Tavern - 09/27/13MarieDined on 9/27/2013I had the artic char and it was cooked perfect, but it lacked flavor. I felt my meal was a little on the bland side. No herbs or seasonings were used when cooking. My husband and son both got burgers and the said they were really good. My son's gf got the chicken and it was also good, but a little bland. For the price of the whole dinner, $250.00 for 4 people, I do not think we'll be going back.Special Features:
- Just good foodJosieBDined on 9/21/2013Farm to Table deliciousness. Fresh locally sourced food. Everything we ate was great. I really wish a salad came with pasta dishes, though. I had to order a small side salad separately, and it was expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry- Effort but not ResultsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2013A $30 strip steak that is difficult to cut at medium rare? (it was beautifully cooked) Focaccia bread without oil or butter? Pasta so bland as to be forgettable (but with a perfectly cooked egg). Alleged Beet salad with beets barely noticeable under the mass of arugula? We felt that if you're going to have a limited menu, each offering should be a smash hit. Not so.
- a nice meal, got a bit louddavidDined on 9/13/2013Good cheese-plate appetizers; risotta quite good, tho not outstanding; a pork special was especially delicious. Wait staff was attentive and discrete; let us enjoy the meal and one another's company without having to feel we had to forge a new relationship with the wait staff. Small but v good beer selection. I'd go again, easily. THe one downside, common of late, given the hard-surface design trends these days, is that the place got so loud we had ttrouble hearing one another now and then. Not as bad as many places, though. Very enjoyable, I won't hesitate to go again.Special Features:
- Experience ruined by the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2013Our meal started off promisingly with the oysters and butcher block of charcuterie--wonderful--but the meal from there was dismal due to inept and sullen service: entrees brought out when we were just starting on our appetizers, then taken away with a scowl to sit under heat lamps for 20 minutes when they were urged on us again, a dessert ordered that did not appear until after the coffee was gone and the check brought, the server bewildered and protesting when, coats on and ready to leave, we said we no longer wanted it. Unevenness in food is something we understand in a busy place like this, harried service too. But scowling, sullen, and argumentative? We were hoping for a pleasant night out, not the experience of parenting a teenager.
- The food was great!JudyDined on 8/9/2013From drinks to appetizer to main course all the food was really good but not one of the desserts were good. I was so disappointed because they sound wonderful.Special Features:
- Bad Service, Even from OwnerOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/8/2013Arrived about 5 mins before our reservation. We stood and waited a solid 4 to 5 minutes before a hostess appeared. We told her we were here for a reservation, she sat us, and then after 15 mins, we had to flag her down because nobody came to our table to even give us water, let alone ask us if we were ready to order. The restaurant was no more than 50% full. A server then came over and apologized and took our order. The hostess then came back and apologized and said she was to blame because she hadn't assigned our table a server (even though we had a reservation). She then told us "the good news is, I'm the owner and I'll make sure you're taken care of." Food was bland and overpriced; we PASSED on the free dessert offered by owner.
- Suprised to not find a favoritecharlieDined on 8/8/2013I had anticipated dining at Bluebird for some time, and expected it to be an outstanding experience. I was very disappointed by our repeatedly clueless server and inconsistent cuisine. Our party of four ranged from excellent cuisine to average. I expected more from this farm to table restaurant. I appreciate the attempts to serve local food and hope that the restaurant improves before too many are turned off by an overpriced average experience. I myself will not be returning.
- Disappointed on this visitvivavermontDined on 8/3/2013I have visited many times before and usually bring out of town guests here. We went with a friend on Saturday and we were all disappointed. Even with a reservation we had a randomly placed table close to the server station and kitchen door. The service was good but slow. The calamari, at $15, was awful. There was a small amount placed on a pointless plate of greens and it tasted like it was from the frozen section at the supermarket. The veggie burger, also overpriced, was dry and fell apart when eating it. For the price, this visit was not worth it. I'll go back for drinks at the bar but that's it.Special Features:
- My UVM Student's Top PickDaveVIPDined on 7/20/2013My wife and I get to visit Burlington a few times a year when we visit our daughter who now lives there. On our last two visits we went out to the Bluebird Tavern and both times we thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. The atmosphere is trendy and smart and the food is fresh and local (whenever possible), well prepared and always seems to have a delicious twist. The restaurant is a block away from the crowds on Church street, which makes it that much better. We'll go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/13/2013Outstanding chowder, creatively seasoned and perfectly balanced. Nice simple arugula salad. We both enjoyed the branzino and shrimp special. Perfectly cooked and nicely presented. Chocolate tort was huge but somewhat lacking in taste.
- Interior was too loud forOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/27/2013Interior was too loud for us, but fortunately a table outside was open. It was lovely; service was good, food was great. Oysters were terrific (opened by a pro--no grit, liquor not spilled), as was everything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed the mealJDfoodieDined on 6/27/2013The food was fresh and the menu had enough interesting selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food ok.VteaterDined on 6/15/2013Great staff and we love the bistro feel. Food didn't meet expectations on this visit. Soft shell crab and green salad were just average. For the price, we expected something special. The staff was but the food was not.Special Features:
- Fun & EasyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2013Bluebird Tavern offers a simple, diverse menu. East Coast oysters were super-fresh and briney, served with a vinegary mignonette & spicy horseradish cocktail sauce. Tempura soft-shelled crab were crispy-crunchy, with creamy, crabby insides, served on parsnips (advertised as mashed, but came sliced instead), and sweet-sour pickled paper-thin carrots. A bit of spicy remoulade or tartar sauce would've added a lot. Had the appetizer of 3 local Vermont cheeses as dessert. Nice selection of blue, creamy and salty, served with a housemade chutney and french bread toasts. Delicious Beefeater martini, followed by an Austrian Gruner Veltliner. Perfect. Efficient and friendly service from the waitstaff, and timely delivery of courses. Most enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really like how many restaurantsSusieVIPDined on 6/5/2013Really like how many restaurants in Burlington use fresh and local suppliers. Started with Jar of PIckles - yum! The greens with my chicken were the best I have ever eaten. Saw really good looking burgers passing by too. Their Bluebird Cocktail list is interesting.Special Features:
- Fantastic as always!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/1/2013This was my first time to the St. Paul location and I was just as blown away with their food and service as I was when they were on Riverside. A wonderful experience to have when visiting Burlington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous brunch, large portionsPinecrestRoaderDined on 5/26/2013The place smells like warm maple syrup and good bacon, and the menu reflects that nod to comfort and imaginative uses of food. Even the menu language contains this flair: A mimosa is "OJ and Bubbles"--well, why not? The orange juice contains pulp, and the glass is big; so it's different from the usual, and it might as well have a name to reflect that difference. Come here for the good food, the well-trained staff, the smells, and the good spirit that pervades the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.