Lovells of Lake Forest
915 S Waukegan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Lovells of Lake Forest
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/
- Phone: 8472348013
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jay Lovell Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Premise Catering for up to 150 people. Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Bridal and Baby Showers. Summer picnics and Upscale Pig Roast or just Steaks & Shrimp on the grill. What ever you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Events up to 300 people. Specializing in Corporate Events, Cocktail Receptions, Weddings and Rehearsal.
- Private Party Contact: Faye 8472348043
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday Nights starting at 8pm. Half price on certain Martinis, all day and all night. Live Music on Saturday Nights starting at 8pm.
A word from Lovells of Lake Forest
Midwestern Steaks and Chops, Dryed Aged and Hand Trimmed on Premise by Chef Lovell. Fresh Seafood from Around the World. Enjoying our Eighth Year Serving the North Shore and Surrounding Communities with Casual Dinning at its Best. "We want to make Lovells a one stop dinning experience in Lake County." Says Chef Lovell. "A Fabulous Steak House Dinner, Cocktails and on the weekends, Live Music in the Captains Quarters. We will wine, dine and entertain you. Relax and enjoy!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Lovells of Lake Forest - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
Lovells of Lake Forest reviews from OpenTable diners
84 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (62)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (33)great for outdoor dining (24)notable wine list (24)fit for foodies (23)great for lunch (20)good for groups (20)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Perfect celebration spotJillVIPDined on 1/23/2014After purchasing a car up the street, we were looking for a spot to enjoy a nice dinner. The ambience is beautiful as we sat in the room with a fireplace which was perfect on a freezing CHICAGO night. The service was outstanding. Attentive but not intrusive. The food choices we made were absolutely delicious. Can't wait to return to enjoy another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We very much enjoyed our businessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2014We very much enjoyed our business lunch. THe service was terrific as was the food.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedCityGirlDined on 1/19/2014My husband and I went to Lovell's for a date night. It was a weekday night and the restaurant was almost empty except for a large group of men who looked to be on a business meeting dinner. We were sat directly next to this table despite all the other empty tables. This seating was also next to the front hallway, where there was a freezing cold draft. The music was low or maybe even non-exisistent. Either way, we spent the entire evening listening to the loud diners next to us converse. The service was "ok" and the food was average at best. The portions were ridiculous and I felt like the food was country club style circa 1985. This restaurant may have been something special back in the day, but it's time has come and gone.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerJMarieDined on 1/18/2014I booked Lovells for my husband's Birthday. I mentioned it was his birthday when I did my open table reservation. The food was absolutely excellent. They have great appetizers and we each had steak for dinner that was excellent. They also brought a complimentary dessert for my husband for his birthday. I didn't need to bring it up because they paid attention to the reservation. We happened down to the basement during our stay, and it is like a whole additional restaurant. It was a lively casual bar/resturant atmosphere that looked like it would be fun for a quicker meal or to watch a game. ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; superb serviceMrbadger66VIPDined on 1/17/2014I dine at Lovell's infrequently and usually for a business lunch. The food is always delicious and served very attractively; service is always attentive yet unobtrusive and our server was absolutely first-rate; and the ambience is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Before TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014We are subscribers to Marriott Lincilnshire Theater and want a quiet dinner before the shows. Lovell's is only a few minutes East of I-294 and is not as frenzied as the Wheeling-Lincolnshire zone. This was our third trip to Lovell's. And the Lovell Apollo mission memorabilia is equally interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightLuisDined on 1/10/2014Great place for a romantic dinner. The food and wine was amazing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Navy P.I.R. Dinner919erDined on 1/10/2014Our son just graduated from Navy P.I.R. (bootcamp). Lovell's was recommended by a local meet and greet (thanks Sarge!). We made reservations through OpenTable. All went smooth with the reservation and our dinner was excellent. Service was professional and prompt. and the food was to die for. All 5 of us were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was superb. The servicecudgelVIPDined on 1/4/2014The food was superb. The service was excellent. The setting is tasteful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LovellsMeatPotatoesDined on 1/4/2014Excellent place for a special occasion dinner. Food is excellent. This is a great location for a romantic dinner - especially in the summer when the terrace is openSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!JudyHDined on 12/31/2013We went there for New Year's Eve dinner. The Filet Trio was fantastic. The steaks were so tender you could cut them with a butter knife and the 3 different toppings were delicious with my favorite being the crab. The mushroom soup was to die for. The service was wonderful, they were very attentive to our needs, but not overly pushy. Definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CelebrationEatOutDined on 12/27/2013Once or twice per year, eating at a "white table cloth" restaurant is a treat for my family and me. Lovells of Lake Forest fits the bill perfectly. Wonder food, great service. You feel like and King and Queen!Special Features:
- Outstanding TimeRichDined on 12/23/2013I have driven past this resterant several times and always wanted to stop. Finally had the opportunity to take a coworker to a nice lunch and was extreamly impressed from the moment I walked in. The hostess was very friendly and seated us in a reqally nice table. The lunch menu was a very nice combination and diverse selection. The food was excellent. The flavor and amount was perfect for lunch. I will be back with my family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovell's is still amazingSteveDined on 12/21/2013We hadn't been here in about 8 years but the dining experience is as good as ever. The decor in the dining room is like eating in the living room of a beautiful old home. The quality of the food is excellent. We had chicken, duck and fish dishes at our table and they were all outstanding. In addition to the food, the artwork is truly unique. The walls are covered very tastefully in several of Jim Lovell's astronaut memorabilia. This restaurant is a must for anybody who likes food and is also a space nut. I don't know if he ever comes any more, but several years ago, Captain Lovell made the rounds among the diners which also made it a very unique experience. With or without his presence, the experience is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovell's of lake forestBudmanDined on 12/21/2013If you want a total dinning experience try lovell's The service was perfect from a call to confirm your reservation to The spot on staff. The atmosphere was elegant but inviting. The food was spot on From warm fresh baked rolls to delicious filets . Do not skip desert Our terimisu was one of the best I have had. Every dish was well balance Can't wait to visit againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No lift off at Lovell'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013The noise level was too high and the service was average which for the price point poor The food was okay nothing spectacular The value isn't there and I was disappointed
- Very ClassyTomBDined on 12/18/2013Still at the top level of fine dining in Chicagoland, even for lunch. A magnificent building that exudes class and refinement. Great menu, even for lunch, service is impeccable. This is where my wife and I always go for our anniversary and other special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandingark1111Dined on 12/13/2013I have been at Lovell a couple times and its always a great place . The service is outstanding The food is outstanding and its just a beautiful place to be at.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- just perfect!jroseVIPDined on 12/13/2013Our family came to Lovell's to celebrate my new Sailor. The vibe was classy but not stuffy, the food was nicely presented, tasted great but not so snooty to be off-putting. It was certainly welcome for those who have been subjected to Boot Camp food for 60 days! Just perfect!Special Features:
- Great first visitTedHDined on 12/6/2013We had received a gift card for the restaurant and had not been there before. We arrived and were seated at a nice corner table. Our waiter was very nice and the follow up from the rest of the team was wonderful. We started with a nice glass of wine and a crab cake appetizer. Exceptional and loved the cole slaw under the crab cake. My wife had the filet trio and I tried the ribeye. Both were melt in your mouth fantastic. Our sides of green beans and twiced baked potato were very enjoyable too. We finished with a wonderful dessert. Could not have enjoyed our experience more and both of us are looking forward to our next visit. Wonderful staff from start to finish. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2013We took our newly minted naval seaman there. the food was excellent, steaks were cooked perfectly, side dishes were well prepared. the steaks were not of the outback type but quality steakhouse types, think berns or RuthsChris. the memorabilia is very interesting to those of us from the moon era. Lastly andMOST importantly they really looked after our new sailor.Special Features:
- Fabulous AtmospherePaladinDined on 12/6/2013Our reservation time was met without a wait. The service was prompt and friendly. The sourdough rolls and french bread were out of this world. My youngest enjoyed the BBQ sandwich very much. My oldest and I had the Catfish and thought it was good but not as bold as we expected for a Creole dish. My wife had the Airline Chicken and was disappointed. She didn't enjoy the texture of the chicken and thought the stuffing was soggy. The building, inside and out, is just amazing. The dining room was comfortable and, although it was a busy lunch, did not feel crowded. It never seemed loud inside and our table conversation was easy and relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal + A Museum!AndyDined on 12/4/2013Not only is the restaurant great in all the ways that any great restaurant is great: food, service, ambience; but there is a museum to Apollo 13 and Captain Lovell! Where else can you get that?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/4/2013It had had several years since we'd been here. Food was very good (NY strip; pecan crusted trout). Staff was attentive and friendly. I noted on reservation that it was my wife's bday, and they brought her dessert, unprompted, and free, too. Very pleasant experience.Special Features:
- 1st timerOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 12/1/2013We were having a lovely time until the end. We ordered dessert and cappucino from our sweet, attentive server, Francesco. While we were waiting , the other waiter came over and asked us if we were ok, we said we were perfect, then he asked us if we needed anything and we said Francesco was taking care of everything. 2 seconds later, he plopped our check down on our table and said here's your bill. What's the rush? Sunday night at 7:45- are you trying to get out of here? I have worked in restaurants for years and I was just taken aback that at a restaurant where we were spending close to $100 each, we would be rushed out the door and asked to pay before we received our coffee and dessert. Very RudeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had never been to yourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013We had never been to your restaurant before and three of the four people thought their food was excellent. The pork dinner I had I considered good, but the description not exactly what I thought it would be. Also I think that we were not told where the captains quarters was for less expensive dinners. Your reservations site was excellent.Special Features:
- Elegant food, service and settingTheaterFanaticVIPDined on 11/29/2013Lovell's is one of those places we will go, rave about, then forget for a year. I am reminded now what a nice menu they have -- and how well executed the dishes are. The restaurant is immaculate, but warm and not "sterile." It is a sizable place, but separated into multiple "dining rooms," so it does not feel like a dining hall. The wines are excellent, but the wind list is not imposing. The kitchen turns out a lovely fare and knows what they are doing. West Lake Forest isn't someplace one would think of as a dining destination, but it is wonderful to have a sound restaurant choice on the north shore for a lovely dinner -- for romantic or business reasons.Special Features:
- We were celebrating out son'sOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2013We were celebrating out son's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. Food was excellent and staff were attentive. Enjoyed looking around at everything on display, and our waiter shared some great history with us. Would highly recommend, it was a wonderful dining experience!Special Features:
- Great eveningRichieVIPDined on 11/23/2013We ate in the downstairs bar area which was very nice. Small bar area and a dining room with about 10-12 tables. They were spaced nicely so you were not on top of the next table. Service was very good and would expect that considering the upstairs is a high end restaurant. The food not only looked good on the plates but it was good. Prices on the high end for bar food but worth the price. Were there on a Saturday night and they had music that started at 8. There were 2 guitar players 2 tables from mine and even with the singing we were able to carry on a conversation. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Great restaurant overallang123Dined on 11/22/2013Food was delicious and the service was personable and prompt. Atmosphere was great too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovell's is our favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/21/2013Lovell's is our favorite restaurant. The ambience is wonderful, the service is outstanding and most importantly the food is delicious. This is truly a gem of a restaurant that I'd recommend to anyone. The best steaks in town and a great place for a romantic meal for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovell's is lovely. RicardoGlindaVIPDined on 11/16/2013Lovell's is lovely. Ricardo is professional,elegant and fun! civilized and delicious with romantic overtones, we had a perfect "date"I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Lovell'sNathanDined on 11/16/2013Beautiful. Very upscale.The food was fabulous!! Service was exelent!! We were celebrating my son's graduation from Navy Boot Camp. Was a little worried about the price as it is a little higher class place than we are used to but they comped my son's meal and we had a wonderful celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/16/2013Very solid food choices, good wine list and great service. It could be more interesting in terms of good choices but hard to complain as what is served is good. They know their sweet spot and hit it most of the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BdayDinnerBdayDinnerDined on 11/9/2013Great food and excellent service in the dining room. Wonderful lounge/bar down stairs for after dinner drinks or just as a place to hang out. Live music and no cover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Litterly out of this world.RockDined on 11/8/2013The knowledge that our server had was a great help in selecting our food. This was backed up with the constant attention she and her associates gave us resulting in a memorable dining experiance. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Identity Crisis ContinuesEleanorDVIPDined on 11/8/2013My wife and I returned for the first time in five years and we still can't figure out what Lovell's wants to be. It started life as a fine dining restaurant and it has kept the valet parking, white tablecloths, and ambitious menu. But it seems to have morphed into an unremarkable family steak house. My center cut rib eye was below average for steak house fare -- too much of a sweet wine sauce, not quite grilled enough, and a bit underdone (I asked for medium-rare). My wife's duck was boring and anything but tender. The sides were, well, meh. Lots of children in a white tablecloth restaurant, and lots of ambient conversation about the chef's famous dad, made the rather strange experience complete.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/2/2013Our waitress was outstanding. We told her that we didn't have cash for the vallet and she was nice enough to offer providing us with cash, and we added it to her gratuity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!BobettaStoneDined on 10/26/2013The "scenic view" is actually inside--especially in the basement bar area with all the memorabilia from NASA; also great pictures on the walls in the main dining area. This is a very special restaurant! We always visit it on special family occasions--always a treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We brought our new Sailornavymom450Dined on 10/25/2013We brought our new Sailor here for his first meal after bootcamp. The service was great. The food was amazing. We were there past lunch service, they didn't rush us. overall an amazing memorable mealSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.