Lovells of Lake Forest
915 S Waukegan Road
Lake Forest, IL 60045Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Lovells of Lake Forest
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lovellsoflakeforest.com/
- Phone: 8472348013
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Jay Lovell Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Off Premise Catering for up to 150 people. Rehearsal Dinners, Weddings, Bridal and Baby Showers. Summer picnics and Upscale Pig Roast or just Steaks & Shrimp on the grill. What ever you desire.
- Private Party Facilities: Private Events up to 300 people. Specializing in Corporate Events, Cocktail Receptions, Weddings and Rehearsal.
- Private Party Contact: Faye 8472348043
- Entertainment: Live Music on Friday Nights starting at 8pm. Half price on certain Martinis, all day and all night. Live Music on Saturday Nights starting at 8pm.
A word from Lovells of Lake Forest
Midwestern Steaks and Chops, Dryed Aged and Hand Trimmed on Premise by Chef Lovell. Fresh Seafood from Around the World. Enjoying our Eighth Year Serving the North Shore and Surrounding Communities with Casual Dinning at its Best. "We want to make Lovells a one stop dinning experience in Lake County." Says Chef Lovell. "A Fabulous Steak House Dinner, Cocktails and on the weekends, Live Music in the Captains Quarters. We will wine, dine and entertain you. Relax and enjoy!"Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Lovells of Lake Forest - Best Restaurants in Lake Forest ›
Lovells of Lake Forest reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (62)romantic (35)neighborhood gem (35)great for outdoor dining (26)fit for foodies (24)notable wine list (24)great for lunch (17)good for groups (14)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- A Nice FindslowisgoodDined on 5/10/2014Up in L.F. for a play and picked Lovell's for location and good reviews and were happy with our choice. Great Service and generous portions of excellent food. We split the beet salad, and had the tuna entree and the salmon special and a bottle of the house sauvignon blanc. Would definitely return when next in L.F.Special Features:
- Guaranteed enjoymentWoodyDined on 5/3/2014Brought out of town friends who absolutely loved the food, wine, service, and Captain Lovell's space memorabilia. The service is impeccable, always 6 out of 5 stars. Jay is a phenomenal chef and has exceptional staff who make you feel right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently excellentCathyMVIPDined on 5/2/2014As always, both food and service were excellent. I had the chicken chutney. So good for lunch, I returned in the evening with guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleased with Birthday DinnerJATHVIPDined on 4/30/2014Delicious dinner; lovely atmosphere. Thanks for making my mother in law's birthday dinner tasty special and memorable! She so enjoyed the birthday basket dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014First time at Lovell's and it was a very nice evening. It was our 34th wedding anniversary and a special night for us. Our waitress was just great. We look forward to going back for brunch or a nice outdoor lunch.Special Features:
- Naval Base GraduationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014It was wonderful that Captain Lovell greeted our sailor AND paid for her lunch, however the food was sadly disappointing. The crab on the gazpacho was from a frozen block and had so much cartilage I got tired of picking it out of my mouth so finally gave up. The Mediterranean salad had over sized pieces of vegetable that made me feel like I was man handling the food. The beef Pappardelle was tasteless. Their take on a Reuben sandwich was inventive but again tasteless. Only one of our 5 diners was slightly satisfied with the meal. The warm rolls were fabulous, the butter was chilled, the coffee was freshly made. It was an overpriced disappointment to the group.Special Features:
- The painting is a fakeMe2youDined on 4/17/2014This is not the same Lovell's from a couple of years ago. The prices are same, but the food quality is not nearly as good. If you were a fan of the crab cakes, you will be sorely disappointed. Remember the lumps of crab meat and very little filler? Now think of the crab cakes you bring home from the freezer section of the grocery store. The good news is that the service is outstanding.Special Features:
- The Astronaut Restaurantrkt739Dined on 4/14/2014This restaurant both serves tasty, high-quality food and is a small museum to Captain Jim Lovell's history with NASA. The waiter had great stories about gatherings of the captain's astronaut friends. One picture of the Earth from space (by the bathrooms downstairs) is hung upside-down, which reportedly annoyed Gene Cernan, who had taken it and presented it to Lovell.Special Features:
- very loud, difficult to hearMollyDined on 4/11/2014very loud, difficult to hear diners at your table! service slow
- 15 Anniversary LunchBugszyDined on 4/10/2014I used the occasion to celebrate the 15 year anniversary of 3 of my employees. They enjoyed the entire experience. Most important, they were very happy with their meals.Special Features:
- consistentlibraVIPDined on 4/5/2014I haven't been here for many, many years. It was relatively late on a Saturday night and we were looking for somewhere to go. Someone in the car mentioned Lovells. Knowing that when I had been there many years ago and that I have only heard good things about it, consistently, whenever people mention it, I was up for going there. I was not disappointed. The staff was good, the food good, and well, it is consistent, dependable, and reliable for a very fine meal. The ambience upstairs was low key and nice while downstairs with live music seemed to be hopping.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovell's is Out of This WorldNorseman1Dined on 3/29/2014We dined at Lovell's in Lake Forest, IL this past Saturday and it was wonderful. The service was great and the food was awesome. Our party enjoyed rib eye steaks, rack of lamb, filet mignon, and grilled chicken. The food was delicious, fresh, and savory. Enjoyed desserts of ice cream and cheese cake. Wine selection is very broad. The ambiance is great--elegant yet comfortable. And full of US space program memorabilia courtesy of astronaut Jim Lovell. The dining room is beautiful, the bar features a huge painting of the four horses of Apollo and downstairs is a comfortable lounge with live music. Great spot on the North ShoreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveningJohnGDined on 3/22/2014As always the food and wine at Lovells was excellent. The service was great!Special Features:
- Lake Forest, Il ClassicMeatPotatoesDined on 3/15/2014Lovell's of Lake Forest has excellent food, service, and ambience. It is a favorite of mine for birthday celebrations (for adults) and/or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average food&service for high priceUpnorthDined on 3/8/2014Wanted to try Lovell's but was very disappointed. Got there early to have drinks in Captains Quarters lounge shown on the website which is no longer there & is now a casual dining area. Website drink menu different, too. Asked our server his name since he never told us, he recommended a dry Chardonnay with oak which had no oak in it at all when looked up on the internet later, steak was supposed to be medium well and instead was very well done with burnt charcoal top & bottom & the server never came by to check on us until it was dessert time. Biggest disappointment was the birthday celebration noted in our open table reservation which was never acknowledged. We did get free desserts & gift certificate to come back so that was nice.
- Highly Recommend!!!ProudNavyAuntDined on 3/7/2014We thoroughly enjoyed Lovell's of Lake Forest. We were only in town for the day and took a taxi driver's recommendation. We started with the Avacado Bruschetta and were delighted with the twist on an old favorite. My nephew had a hard time deciding between the entrees, but settled on the Shrimp Creole, and cleaned his plate! The petite filet was cooked just right. The ambiance was pleasingly quiet and allowed for conversation. We highly recommend Captain Lovell's restaurant!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were a group of 5 downstairsFuntimers9Dined on 2/27/2014We were a group of 5 downstairs which is so cozy on a cold might with the fireplace blazing and a roomful Of people out for an evening. It was fun and we all had a great time. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food...especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/21/2014Excellent food...especially the steak. Service was outstanding as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for Business or PersonalOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2014A superb menu with offerings to accommodate all tastes and a dining room that is appropriate for special personal occasions or upscale entertaining of clients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's DelightOldGloryDined on 2/14/2014Having informed Lovell's of my intention to make a proposal of marriage at this dinner, I am obliged to report that every detail was flawlessly attended to by the staff! I look forward to many years of the re-telling of the story of the romantic dinner where we became engaged!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Music - Keep Suede around!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2014Good food - pricey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Had an outstanding time on Valentine's Day! The music was phenomenal, but the drinks were way over-priced. Was exciting to meet Captain Lovell!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to standardsbradyDined on 2/14/2014We have eaten at Lovells several time over the years and have never been disappointed until this time. We ordered the Oysters with hollandaise...tasted great but was cold by the time served. I ordered the duck and was surprised that it was served with the whole half duck....not sliced I asked for it to be deboned and sliced and it was returned to me quartered....Not a great presentation! understand it is closing but thought they would try to go out on top....Special Features:
- Used to be fantastic.JmkonradDined on 2/14/2014My wife and I used to regard Lovell's as our favorite romantic restaurant, but the last 2 times we dined there, it was NOT worth the trip. If you are spending 250.00 for two after tip, you would expect exceptional service and food (our bill only included 2 cocktails). The food used to be fantastic, the service used to be impeccable, but no longer.
- great Pre V day LunchthekksDined on 2/13/2014the service was the best we had since our cruise and food was great, pricieSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Older crowdNikkiDined on 2/7/2014Nice place to take your parents. Seems like a more appealing place for an older crowd.Special Features:
- Nice eveningdwwwwDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I had a nice evening. And a special event: Jim Lovell was there and walked around to every table, but spent most of his time talking with the new navy graduates and their familys. Jim Lovell is an impressive and classy guy.Special Features:
- Enjoyed it quite a bitSteveVIPDined on 2/1/2014Asked to move from first table offered, which jutted into the entryway. We had made reservations, but they had to try. After that everything went fine. Steaks were vey good. Calamari was tasty. Chocolate dessert wasa god finish. Excellent music in the downstairs bar on Saturday night, were you can enjoy casual fare as well. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeDodgerDined on 2/1/2014The food was great. We had the duck and a "surf/turf" special. Couldn't decide which was better. Service was available when needed but not over bearing. For the quality and experience, it was very reasonably priced. Good beer and wine selection. We had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lOVELLSdrmoVIPDined on 1/29/2014Although I enjoyed my meal, I felt that the menu was a little old fashioned or stuffy. It had the usual steak, fish, duck, and although they tried to add some flourishes, it fell a little short. I was also surprised not at the prices for the entrees, but the salads were 14 to 16$. Good place for grandma but maybe not yuppies
- fabulousnaplesgalVIPDined on 1/26/2014We had not been to Lovell's for awhile and were very impressed with the menu and the service as well as the ambience. We sat downstairs and have never had better service. Kind, informative and quick was our waiter and we will ask for him next time! Food was fantastic. Do not miss this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs nothingRealtorJoeDined on 1/25/2014Lovells is a great example of a finely tuned restaurant. Ambiance and service are excellent. The filet trio and rack of lamb were perfect. Food quality, temperature and portions satisfied. Calamari appetizer has a light, tastefull breaking, consistency was delicate and not overdone or chewy. I always appreciate the bread service that does not just leave a bAsket sitting on the table. Post entree Coffee bar service is a real treat and offers selection and presentation. Enjoyable beyond expectation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect celebration spotJillVIPDined on 1/23/2014After purchasing a car up the street, we were looking for a spot to enjoy a nice dinner. The ambience is beautiful as we sat in the room with a fireplace which was perfect on a freezing CHICAGO night. The service was outstanding. Attentive but not intrusive. The food choices we made were absolutely delicious. Can't wait to return to enjoy another meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We very much enjoyed our businessOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/21/2014We very much enjoyed our business lunch. THe service was terrific as was the food.Special Features:
- UnderwhelmedCityGirlDined on 1/19/2014My husband and I went to Lovell's for a date night. It was a weekday night and the restaurant was almost empty except for a large group of men who looked to be on a business meeting dinner. We were sat directly next to this table despite all the other empty tables. This seating was also next to the front hallway, where there was a freezing cold draft. The music was low or maybe even non-exisistent. Either way, we spent the entire evening listening to the loud diners next to us converse. The service was "ok" and the food was average at best. The portions were ridiculous and I felt like the food was country club style circa 1985. This restaurant may have been something special back in the day, but it's time has come and gone.Special Features:
- Great Birthday DinnerJMarieDined on 1/18/2014I booked Lovells for my husband's Birthday. I mentioned it was his birthday when I did my open table reservation. The food was absolutely excellent. They have great appetizers and we each had steak for dinner that was excellent. They also brought a complimentary dessert for my husband for his birthday. I didn't need to bring it up because they paid attention to the reservation. We happened down to the basement during our stay, and it is like a whole additional restaurant. It was a lively casual bar/resturant atmosphere that looked like it would be fun for a quicker meal or to watch a game. ISpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food; superb serviceMrbadger66VIPDined on 1/17/2014I dine at Lovell's infrequently and usually for a business lunch. The food is always delicious and served very attractively; service is always attentive yet unobtrusive and our server was absolutely first-rate; and the ambience is terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Before TheaterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/16/2014We are subscribers to Marriott Lincilnshire Theater and want a quiet dinner before the shows. Lovell's is only a few minutes East of I-294 and is not as frenzied as the Wheeling-Lincolnshire zone. This was our third trip to Lovell's. And the Lovell Apollo mission memorabilia is equally interesting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great nightLuisDined on 1/10/2014Great place for a romantic dinner. The food and wine was amazing. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Navy P.I.R. Dinner919erDined on 1/10/2014Our son just graduated from Navy P.I.R. (bootcamp). Lovell's was recommended by a local meet and greet (thanks Sarge!). We made reservations through OpenTable. All went smooth with the reservation and our dinner was excellent. Service was professional and prompt. and the food was to die for. All 5 of us were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was superb. The servicecudgelVIPDined on 1/4/2014The food was superb. The service was excellent. The setting is tasteful.I would recommend this to a friend.