La Lanterna Ristorante
180 W. 25th Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94403Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
La Lanterna Ristorante
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lalanternasanmateo.com/#
- Phone: 6503418877
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-Sa 11:30am-2:00pm
Dinner: M-Su 5:00pm-9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Ramon Lopez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Jennifer 6503418877
A word from La Lanterna Ristorante
Open since 2001, La Lanterna is a family-owned business with Ramon Lopez as Executive Chef and Jennifer Villa-McGuffin service as manager. Prior to opening, Ramon and Jennifer were employed at various fine dining restaurants in the San Francisco Peninsula. With his own signature style, Chef Ramon has received numerous accolades and is honored to serve you at La Lanterna.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
La Lanterna Ristorante - Best Restaurants in San Mateo ›
La Lanterna Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (43)special occasion (23)good for groups (18)fit for foodies (14)great for lunch (14)romantic (10)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Great Neighborhood gemSharVIPDined on 3/10/2014This restaurant has survived because the food is consistent, good and not overly priced. When the weather is nice, as it was when I was there, tables are set up outside. Crab cakes, salad, were the choices for our lunch. Excellent and always a favorite....Special Features:
- Great food for a reasonableLocal1955VIPDined on 3/8/2014Great food for a reasonable price. Had a $30 bottle of wine, 2 appetizer's, two main dishes and with tip got out with a $95 bill. Food was great - the clams appetizer was the fantastic - not a drop of sauce was left after mopping it up with the fresh bread.Special Features:
- Poor serviceChrisVIPDined on 3/8/2014I have been a loyal customer since opening. Over the years, I have enjoyed the food and staff. On Sat night, with my large family, the service was so poor, and waiter so rude, that I do not plan to return. We were told that we were too loud by the waiter. While trying to be respectful of he request, our service continued to be poor and rude. Not once did the waiter freely come over to our table and ask how he could help. I constantly had to try to waive him down and beg for help and more service. So sad since my friends and I have enjoyed so many meals over the years at La Lanterna. But I now plan to share with all my friends about the poor service and the rude waiter. Chris Cooper
- Hidden secretOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 3/8/2014This unassuming gem on 25th ave. is outstanding. I wish I had gone a long time ago. I had veal that was as good as any place I"ve had it. Compared to restaurants that are in the area, this ranks as on top for sure. The service was great and friendly. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La LanternaJazzLoversVIPDined on 3/5/2014We were just visiting the area for a short 3 day sightseeing trip and went on Yelp to look for places to eat. We were pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the homemade pastas and unique entree choices. The service by the staff was impeccable. The restaurant is very open but the noise level is very low even with a table for 6 next to us. There did seem to be a room in the back for large parties. I would definitely go back!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Memorable EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/4/2014We celebrated my daughter's birthday at La Lanterna. Everything was just perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our favorite restaurantOnoliciousVIPDined on 3/4/2014This is our favorite restaurant on the Peninsula and go there often. We have only good things to say about all we expect in a restaurant, and they fulfill our every expectation.Our lunch this time was for a group of 8, and everyone enjoyed the food,ambiance, and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ChoiceLamontDined on 2/28/2014La Lanterna has been our go to restaurant for a number of years. The food is always very good and it is nice to go to an Italian restaurant that has Italian waiters. We always take friends to La Lanterna when they come to visit. This restaurant is very popular so make reservations if you go on a weekend night.Special Features:
- Food was delicious and serviceBeckyDined on 2/26/2014Food was delicious and service was outstanding! So glad to have found this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a warm and friendlyotdinerVIPDined on 2/22/2014This is a warm and friendly neighborhood restaurant with consistently good food. The servers are always helpful. The kitchen can be a little slow at times but we find the food is worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- everything from start to finishOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/22/2014everything from start to finish was excellent service a tad slow but a wonderful evening Italian style helloSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- La Lanterna Dinner was wonderfulTracySFDined on 2/14/2014We had reservations for VDay. It was very busy as anyone would expect. The staff was very friendly and set each party in order of arrival. The Soup that night was a corn chowder with Crab. WOW - it was delicious! Our main meals were tasty and well prepared as well. THe whole experience was TOPS. This is a San Mateo neighborhood GEM.Special Features:
- DeliciousLauraDined on 2/14/2014It's rare that we get to go out as a couple sans children and we were looking for a quiet and delicious Italian meal to celebrate Valentine's day. This was perfect. Great service, deliciousness authentic food and not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Even though it was Valentine'sBeverleyVIPDined on 2/14/2014Even though it was Valentine's Day, the service was excellent and the food served promptly and nicely done. Of course, the most important thing is the food. Very good! There is a full bar and a very good wine list. The only fault I would mention is the lighting. Otherwise I would give it even a higher rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite in the areaOnoliciousVIPDined on 2/13/2014WE can always count on La Lanterna to provide excellent food, service and friendliness. Have recommended this restaurant to many, and no one has been disappointed - only kudo's Only complaint (and it's not a fault of the restaurant) too many restaurants on the Avenue and very limited parking, not to mention hardly any parking available for the handicapped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious - secondJB1234Dined on 2/10/2014The food was delicious - second time I have been there and both times were great - will go again and recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OwnerJohnVIPDined on 2/8/2014Finally met one of the owners after years of dining here. Lovely lady, wife of owner/chef. Dinner was excellent. Will continue dining here. Booth seating is comfortable.Special Features:
- Bday dinnerCliffVIPDined on 2/3/2014This was a great place to celebrate my wife's dinner. We had a nice intimate dinner and just enjoyed everything about our night. We have been to La Lanterna for several occasions and will always consider this a go to for our specials nights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant!ralphieDined on 2/1/2014We're not gourmet people, but have eatent at some nice places in the Napa Valley, SF, and in Europe. La Lanterna was right at the top! Two appetizers- polenta (tasty truffle sauce), calamari (off the boat fresh); Tried 4 different entrees- hangar steak, fruitta di mare, petrale sole and canneloni. All were spectacular. We all split a desert (petit trio), couldn't believe we could fit that in! Great deserts as well. Very friendly service. All for less than $25/person at lunch!!! WOW.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First visit = great, second = notLisaVIPDined on 1/27/2014My second visit to this restaurant. First time, service and food were excellent. Took a larger group back for my second visit - food was average and the service was extremely slow and unattentive. Hoping they go back to the better mojo.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedmilosunyDined on 12/31/2013I was very disappointed overall. I give some lead way because we went to the restaurant on New year's Eve but all of the food was lack luster. We ordered the Calamari Dorati and Pollo Parmesana, pretty basic dishes. The chicken was so rubbbery and full of cartiledge that I couldn't eat it and had to send it back. It was replaced with pasta bolognese that was very flavorful. The Calamari Dorati was ok, not very flavorful, and the truffle potatoes tasted like they were "box potatoes." The wait staff was exceptional !! The hostess was NOT, we had a reservation and had to wait quite a while when there were over 3 open tables to seat us. I won't return to this restaurant.
- Fantastic food and ServiceRudyDined on 12/31/2013Loved it - the waiters are Italian as well which really makes it authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy New Year!johnnymordocDined on 12/31/2013We had a nice dinner to ring in the New Year's Eve.Special Features:
- Great Way To End The Year!!!OnoliciousVIPDined on 12/31/2013Although it was New Year's Eve and very busy, our dining experience was , as usual, outstanding. The noise level was more energetic than usual, but then, everyone was in a holiday spirit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good Italian on 25th!wifeisveganDined on 12/24/2013We went for Xmas eve and it was super busy (as expected). They were able to seat our table on time. The waiter did an excellent job of meeting my wife's vegan requirements (I called in advance and spoke to Vito who was very helpful!). The place has a lot of authentic italian character. I had the calamari steak which was excellent and finished with an affogato (ice cream with espresso on top). My kids enjoyed the pasta bolognese. The bruschetta was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bon ApetiteTerrDined on 12/18/2013We had a lovely experience at your restaurant and can hardly wait to return!Special Features:
- We had a table of 7 and itMelanieDined on 12/18/2013We had a table of 7 and it appeared that all enjoyed food. However, I ordered the salmon salad and the salmon was a little dry. I have ordered this salad before and it wasn't up to previous standards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I shall return!KrumbsfromKovVIPDined on 11/16/2013Yes, this is a great neighborhood gem, but over the years I have also found it as a place to take friends for a special occasion or casual meeting place. The food is always outstanding with daily worthwhile specials. Our party ordered the special pork chops-- big, thick and tasty; the bisteaka--perfectly cooked and flavorful as well as the veal picata which was savory, light and tender. The salads were all good and the pepper soup--so tasty. We have neglected this restaurant because it is close and we take it for granted but we will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian In Mid PennisulaFoodyVIPDined on 11/14/2013I love this place. Leaves all other faux-Italian restaurants for dead. You won't find pizza or spaghetti with meatballs on the menu but what you discover is a well thought out, creative menu. From the risotto and gnocchi, every dish is prepared with care. Fish dishes are all fresh and artistically plated. This is sophisticated dining in San Mateo. The service is quick and friendly. The best of all, there is no waiting to be seated. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Love this place!!!LindyVIPDined on 10/23/2013We have dined here very, very often and always love the food. You can't go wrong with any of their menu choices!Special Features:
- Family FavoriteprofreyesDined on 10/20/2013We have been coming here for a few years now and it is a family favorite! My daughter and wife always recommend the place for any night out of dining. Great food and great people serving us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome!OnoliciousVIPDined on 10/19/2013Never disappointing - which is why we continue to return to this restaurant, especially for special occasions!!!! This time, a birthday celebration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchFoodloverDined on 10/14/2013I took a group of 5 to lunch. All meals were well liked. The service was great. Highly recommend this restaurant. Good food choices/selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood restaurant;otdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2013Great neighborhood restaurant; very warm and friendly. The artichoke and mushroom soup was delicious, as were our entrees; the calamari Dorati, the chicken stuffed and wrapped in bacon, and the special lamb chops. Their desserts are always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had chosen La Lanterna becauseAnnaleeDined on 10/5/2013I had chosen La Lanterna because I had looked at the menu online and was really looking forward to the squid-ink spaghetti with seafood. The waiter said, oh yes delicious but we don't have that dish anymore. Big, big bummer because I like to order dishes at a restaurant that I couldn't or wouldn't go to the trouble of cooking at home--that's how rarely my husband and I go out--only for special occasions.
- Great Food, Great ServiceLauraVIPDined on 9/28/2013Loved it - This truly is a neighborhood gem - we turly enjoy going here - the service is outstanding and food is excellent.Special Features:
- kitchen needs to slow downBurlpersonVIPDined on 9/22/2013On a quiet Sunday night we expected a slower dinner so we could savor our meal. Our entree came before we finished our salads. We didn't complain, since it wasn't our waiter's fault. Food was good. When I go back, I will tell the wait staff to make sure to tell the kitchen to serve us more slowly. The place is attractive and offers a good selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great and theSCBGDined on 9/21/2013Service was great and the food was even better. We both really felt as though we were taken care of. Can't wait to go back and try more items on the menu. Would absolutely recommend to a friend :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening and great foodPatCDined on 9/18/2013My first visit, eating out with a friend. Nice, quiet booth perfect for unwinding and sharing conversation. The house salad was very good and I loved the salmon with lots of greens. Good service and the room is open and spacious. Would be a good place for a large group, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet & food is above averageSFDinerDined on 9/10/2013Our table ordered three different types of salads -Ceasar, spinach, and Casa. They are all very good. The entrees were very good but not exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.