1401 Race St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Over the Rhine
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theanchor-otr.com/
- Phone: 5134218111x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Derek dos Anjos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact us directly for seats on our patio for Lumenocity - August 1, 2 and 3, 2014. We are the only restaurant in Cincinnati with views of Music Hall for this magical performance.
A word from The Anchor
The Anchor is a seafood restaurant and oyster bar in the heart of beautiful and historic Over the Rhine. Located on the corner of 14th and Race, we are right across from Washington Park and Music Hall, making us a perfect destination for both pre and post theater meals. The Anchor is open for dinner Tuesdays through Saturday. We feature both traditional and communal seating. Enjoy fresh seafood delivered daily, a rotating selection of fresh east and west coast oysters, a variety of whole fish and other seafood specialties, including a classic New England lobster roll! If you have a party larger than 8 people, please call us directly to make a reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Anchor - Best Restaurants in Over the Rhine ›
The Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (89)great for outdoor dining (79)special occasion (50)hot spot (48)scenic view (33)romantic (33)good for groups (32)great for lunch (22)notable wine list (20)vibrant bar scene (17)late-night find (10)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- OutdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014Very fresh and interesting menu. We had two different kinds of fresh oysters followed by a bowl of clam chowder. My wife had the trout BLT. I had spot tail bass with couscous. Bothe very well prepared. Outdoor dining with view of park and music hall at night was great. Not as crowded is the spots on Main.Special Features:
- Nice Atmosphere and ServiceeatsgoodheartedDined on 5/3/2014The service was what I liked most! Everyone tried to please in a very friendly way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationSwampFoxDined on 4/30/2014All four of us had great meals. Particularly liked the fried oyster appetizer, corn on the cob side, and the scallops, seafood stew, and sea bass entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!hammertimecatDined on 4/29/2014We had a great time! The calamari appetizer was not good but they took care of it right away (no charge). We will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious respiteRosemaryDined on 4/29/2014Enjoyed our pre concert (Pops) dinner. Served well, in a timely fashion. Can't beat the location! Good experience.Special Features:
- Always amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2014I've now dined here half a dozen times and have never been disappointed. There really is nothing on the menu I wouldn't recommend, my friends and I have had most everything at one time or another and are always pleased by the freshness and flair. Be sure to listen to the specials, there are always gems there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice catchRachelDined on 4/25/2014The Anchor was a lucky find for us. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside, we found a helpful staff willing to make adjustments in our seating arrangements and provide a professional level of service that was missing from our previous most recent dining experience. I thought the menu was somewhat limited, but the entrees we ordered were excellent, and the dessert was a pleasant surprise. Recommend The Anchor? You bet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014I have to anchors several times and have always had great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 4/23/2014Was very much looking forward to our first dinner at the Anchor as it won best seafood restaurant in Cincinnati. I have to say I was very disappointed. Our waitress suggested her favorite Spot Tail Bass. It was tasty but the portion size was very small. Approximately 3" x 4" x 1" thick. Maybe 4 oz. at most. It came with some tasty couscous but not much to eat for $24. If you are looking for seafood I would go elsewhere.Special Features:
- librarianVIPDined on 4/22/2014We found the menu very limited in fish selections even though that is their specialty. The whole snapper was OK but we fought the bones all the way. Chairs very uncomfortable. Need cushions or padding. Seating on banquet leaning back on pillows was dreadful for our backs.
- Consistently terrificjdm00VIPDined on 4/18/2014The Anchor has taken its place at the top of the Cincinnati dining scene. Having been to most places in OTR and Downtown on more than one occasion, I can honestly say that the food at the Anchor is of the highest consistent quality. I have been there four times now, and have never had a meal that is just OK. Consistently top notch, and now that spring is here the outdoor dining option is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Could Not Have Been WorseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/12/2014How do you ruin a perfectly cooked meal? Dis-interested service, missing food, missing utensils. What a shame. It was a perfect spring night for al fresco dining and it was sadly a bomb!!Special Features:
- Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Enjoyed an early dinner here at 6 on saturday and it was not crowded. The food was excellent, I had the sea bass and calamari appetizer. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice seafood placebothenjsDined on 4/12/2014The menu is fairly small- I was disappointed they only had shrimp one way as a standard shrimp cocktail yet had oyseters several different ways. The mussels were very good. And the wine was actually good. The appetized of scallop with pulled pork kind of confused me- I like them both but together not so much. We had Panna Cotta for desset- it was very well made but very plain flavorwise (my daughter is a pastry chef so I'm kind of spoiled). I will definitely go back and try other items on the menu. The service was excellent and the waitress very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK Seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/11/2014Unknowledgeable service. Most seafood cooked well, but preparations weren't very exciting. Bouillabaisse lacked flavor.Special Features:
- Awesome seafood find in scenic OTROpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/11/2014Was pleased to find yet another wonderful spot among the rennovated gem that is OTR Cincinnati. Perfect service & scene, and not on the traditional Vine Street strip of restaurants. The price is a tad high so be ready to spend a more than other places in the area but it was completely worth the visit (we enjoyed oysters for the first time) and I look forward to having an excuse to drop in again. I had the Hello Sailor cocktail which I highly recommend for any fellow gin lovers. Check it out and enjoy!Special Features:
- Casual qualityRandyDined on 4/11/2014Had great dinner before the symphony. Fresh ingredients, solid wine list, attentive service and comfortable enviroment. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Anchor CincinnatiOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/11/2014This is easily some of the best seafood you can find in Cincinnati. It is also located in the gentrifying neighborhood of Over-the-Rhine, which is going through a total renaissance, including Washington Park which can be seen from your table at Anchor. Very neat area, worth a visit.Special Features:
- Hard to believe in Cincinnaticmd513Dined on 4/10/2014Like other OTR spots, feels like you're eating on a patio in Brooklyn. Oystermania on a warm, sunny Thursday night was fantastic. Always a delicious bloody mary plus oysters, peel n' eat shrimp, boquerones on baguette (absolutely amazing) and the trout BLT sandwich with some PBRs for $1 and the park filled with people playing kickball - what more could anyone want! Such as great place. Love!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Anchor had a small but1DinerDaveDined on 4/5/2014The Anchor had a small but eclectic menu that was well executed. Our table of 6 dined on a variety of dishes and they were all very good. The look of the place was trendy and energetic. The only drawback to the evening was the service. It was hit or miss with many delays in drinks and dishes coming out. At one point, half our table was served and it was every bit of 10 minutes later before the rest of the entrees came out. Would I dine there again, indeed I would.Special Features:
- Night out at The AnchorRetrobaker1Dined on 4/5/2014This was our first time dining at The Anchor. After another locarea restaurant told me they didn't do reservations decided to go here. So glad we went here instead, everything was so nice. Everything from the staff to the food was perfect, we will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The menu is very limitedDossVIPDined on 4/4/2014Great Clam Chowder. No complaints other than vey small menu.Special Features:
- First timers will return!AnniversaryPartyDined on 4/4/2014We picked The Anchor because it was close to Music Hall for the Pops concert on a Friday night. Glad we made reservations; it filled up fast! Our server was knowledgeable and enthusiastic. The problem: she made EVERYTHING sound so great we had trouble deciding. We settled on splitting the pear salad and then the trout BLT. Fabulously inventive with the bacon aoli and the vidalia onion rings were totally addicting. That left room for the fresh berry cobbler for dessert -- also split. The room is noisy with hard surfaces and close seating. But on the plus side, we met delightful people at the next table who were also going to the Pops. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful oystersmaryDined on 4/3/2014we went for oyster night, and it was well worth it., they were delicious, along with the rest of our meal.Special Features:
- Ya Gotta GoHungryfoodieDined on 4/1/2014Completely non-pretentious. One block from Music Hall. Friendly people all around. Great service. Wonderful for dinner before a concert. Our second visit; looking forward to #3 already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I gave it another chanceFoodieDined on 4/1/2014My last dining experience @ Anchor was NOT good-----a waitress w/ an attitude and it wasn't a good one! Food is consistently top notch and this time the waitress was attentive and pleasantSpecial Features:
- Okay, not my favorite in the areaotr88Dined on 3/28/2014I thought I would give The Anchor a try because it is one of the few OTR restaurants to offer reservations. The location is nice and the interior of the restaurant is quite nice. Nothing jumped out at me or my date from the entree menu, so we just decided to order some appetizers that looked good. This was not my favorite OTR restaurant, but I think it is a good place to take a date, and it wasn't nearly as busy as some of the other options in the area. I don't know that I would re-visit The Anchor, but I'm glad I gave it a try. Weak point, the Anchor Bloody Mary had an amazing presentation, but a poor mix, so a let down from the beginning. Strong point, the Clam Chowder is delicious, as good as any I've had from New England.Special Features:
- The bronzino at The AnchorKathyDDined on 3/28/2014The bronzino at The Anchor is the best we have ever had!
- Good menu & food.dinerDined on 3/22/2014I liked the menu and everything we tried was very good. The only negative was the fishy odor when first entering the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty but "energetic"Omashoes1948Dined on 3/22/2014Group of 8, returning from event, arrived earlier than our reservation but taken to our table. Less than half tables in use. Our wait person asked if we were going to a show and needed to place our order immediately-very concerned. Decent background music but a bit loud-not good for groups wanting to visit. None of us had ever visited so we had lots of questions about the menu and our wait person was very knowledgeable and prompt to answer. Food was very good-clam chowder, house salad, beet salad, fish & chips, pork chops, scallops, shrimp-all arrived at good temp and nice sized servings. Will we return? My partner & I will but the others probably would not venture to the area again, sadly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Location better than foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/22/2014Had dinner before CSO performance. We saw nearly everyone in the restaurant at music hall. The location couldnt be better for music hall but the menu was not great. Prices are high to leave feeling ho-hum.Special Features:
- Out of the ordinary Seafood GemstreetwiseDined on 3/21/2014This restaraunt served and awesome plate of ambiance and energy to go along with the quality of food being some of the best seafood I have had locally in the Cincinnati area. The service was pretty slow but given the amount of people seated at the time of my dinner it was somewhat understandable but not excusable.Special Features:
- Great Food, tweek the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/20/2014My first time here. My only complaint; service. Many assumptions, not much assistance. BUT the rest of the experience will take me back to see if it was just a bad night for the servers in general. Loved the wine choices by the glass, and a few gluten free options on the menu though not highlighted, though again, the server did not go out of her way to help in this area either. I loved the decor and most of my friends would like the menu better than I did....it gets tiresome explaining allergies and asking for special accommodations. I'd much prefer a section in the menu to refer to, without disclosing my personal health issues.Special Features:
- Never dissapoints!ChristaZDined on 3/18/2014The Anchor is a great asset for OTR and their food is top notch. I have had the pleasure of hosting out of town guests and important work related dinners at this restaurant, with guests always impressed. The proximity to Washington Park makes Anchor an ideal summertime spot with outdoor seating offering a great view of Music Hall and the park. The oyster selection is always terrific, and the salted caramel pudding dessert is addictive. So glad to continue to support this family-owned business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SeafoodMikeVIPDined on 3/15/2014Best seafood in town! Very fresh and wonderfully prepared. Will definitely be back. We started out sharing many of the small plates. The crab cake sliders are the best thing on the entire menu. The fresh oysters were presented in great fashion, very fresh and with some of the best sauces to accompany them. Overall a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!KateDined on 3/14/2014The food was excellent, as was our service! We started with shucked fresh oysters, crawfish beignets, and house cocktails. All of it was excellent. Be sure to try the red onion ice with your oysters! For the main course, my husband and I had the sea bass and the shellfish boullabaisse. Both were complimented by their great selection of wines, which were $1 off during their happy hour (until 7). Amazing!!!! At first the portion looked a bit small, but we saved room for dessert, and then were full for the rest of the night. Try the salted caramel pudding. Everything was excellent! I highly recommend!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outKateDined on 3/8/2014Three words...delicious as always! The Anchor has quickly become one of our favorites and has never disappointed us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new place near Music HallFineDinerVIPDined on 3/8/2014We loved this place. Although the main menu is limited the specials are what we usually end up ordering. You must like seafood to eat here, as they only have one non-seafood option that I can recall. My husband and i were impressed with the divergent wine list too... some excellent surprises we didnt expect to see, and some offered by the glass too! We encourage people to make the pilgrimage back to the OTR~!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new find!cincinnatusDined on 3/8/2014We were looking for a place to eat dinner before a symphony concert at Music Hall and decided on The Anchor. It's so wonderful being able to park, eat, and walk in that area as opposed to years gone by. We had a lovely table for two by the window, allowing us to enjoy the hustle and bustle of OTR on a Saturday night. We received very attentive service throughout our evening and our food was simply delicious... seasoned to perfection and not heavy at all. We enjoyed our experience so much we came back then after the concert for a nightcap. The bar area is lively and we really enjoyed chatting with both staff and patrons. We met some new people and that made our night extra fun. We're thrilled that we chose The Anchor!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimersAmajDined on 3/7/2014This was our first time and it wasn't bad but it wasn't our favorite. We love seafood and fish and the table side filleting was not to our liking. Every bite we took we had bones and that was not enjoyable and we felt awkward having our fingers by our mouths. The fish was very tasty. I wish our server was happier, but not everyone can be up all the time. We will certainly try again!Special Features: