1401 Race St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Over the Rhine
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theanchor-otr.com/
- Phone: 5134218111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Thursday - Saturday 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Derek dos Anjos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact us directly for seats on our patio for Lumenocity - August 1, 2 and 3, 2014. We are the only restaurant in Cincinnati with views of Music Hall for this magical performance.
A word from The Anchor
The Anchor is a seafood restaurant and oyster bar in the heart of beautiful and historic Over the Rhine. Located on the corner of 14th and Race, we are right across from Washington Park and Music Hall, making us a perfect destination for both pre and post theater meals. The Anchor is open for dinner Tuesdays through Saturday and lunch Thursdays through Saturday. We feature both traditional and communal seating. Enjoy fresh seafood delivered daily, a rotating selection of fresh east and west coast oysters, a variety of whole fish and other seafood specialties, including a classic New England lobster roll! If you have a party larger than 10 people, please call us directly to make a reservation.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
The Anchor - Best Restaurants in Over the Rhine ›
The Anchor reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (83)neighborhood gem (82)fit for foodies (80)special occasion (49)hot spot (39)scenic view (31)romantic (30)good for groups (23)great for lunch (19)notable wine list (19)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Carnivore Meets VegetarianvegetarianmeetscarnivoreVIPDined on 6/20/2014We enjoyed some of the best clam chowder ever, with a view of the Cincinnati Music Hall from our table! The rest of the meal was equally delicious. Plus, their location makes them the ideal place to eat when attending an event at the Cincinnati Music Hall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the priceMr0723Dined on 6/14/2014The food was very good but not worth the price. $25 for 3 scallops?? I basically had a corn dish for that price. Also service very slow.. 2 hours before we were eating our entree. The food was very tasty but even the appetizers were pricey for what you get.. 3 or 4 fried oysters not worth $9.Special Features:
- Recommended, but watch CSO scheduleTolstoy29Dined on 6/14/2014My husband and I had a very good dinner here. Sat outside in the cozy patio overlooking Washington Park. Food was excellent. We were lucky enough to order the last two lobster rolls. Interesting cocktail menu. Recommend the gimlet. Only negative was very slow service as others were rushing to have dinner before the 7:30 opera. Also, curiously, at around 8:15 (we arrived at 6:45, with a reservation), our waiter approached us with request from the manager to vacate our table because of a party "that had been waiting to be seated for 30 minutes." We declined, had dessert (very good steamed lemon cake) and coffee. We invited the server to ask the manager to come and speak to us personally, but that never happened. The matter was dropped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't Mess With Classics2BasicDinersDined on 6/14/2014A great restaurant for fresh seafood and easy place to go before Music Hall, including the valet parking. However, the noise level is higher than "energetic" and annoying, particularly trying to speak across a table to one person. The real issue is that although the seafood (oysters, Bronzini, etc.) were great, the chef messed with classic steamed mussels and put something hot/spicy in it, an 11 out of 10! I don't know if it was to hide not so fresh mussels (and on the small side) or what. We said something to the waitress, but it damaged an otherwise good experience. We have mussels many times because two can share, the bread is usually great and of course the whole idea is to "dip" the bread in the sauce--but not tonight. Bummer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing fishey about it !CarolPmsVIPDined on 6/14/2014Except the amazing, delicious fish choices ! Our group of 10 had comfortable seating (not crowded), courteous service (knowledgeable but not annoying), & all selections came out hot, in good, paced order. Our meals included the trout BLT, oysters, scallops, po boy, peel & eat shrimp, kale salad, & deviled eggs. Cocktails were also creative and refreshing. Will return to try some of the other intriguing entrees.Special Features:
- room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014The atmosphere at Anchor is really fun - the only disappointment is the food. It would be fantastic if there could be a few more items added to the menu with more of a focus on quality. As is, it is good but not great.Special Features:
- A little crazyKevnVIPDined on 6/12/2014Not only busy with pre-Opera crowd, but first night of kickball brought in a lot of drinkers to the very small bar area. Sitting at a high-top in the bar made conversation difficult and the crowd slowed the kitchen down. Did make it to our seats in time though, and the food was great.Special Features:
- TablefanVIPDined on 6/12/2014I enjoyed dining at Anchor. This is the third time I ate there. The food is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pleasant experiencekimkDined on 6/11/2014We have dined here four times now and always happy. The Atmosphere seems to have improved. This is all based on the lighting and the music, this time, both were low.. making for a cozy romantic feeling. The food, mainly fish, is always prepared in a clean and easy manner.. no crazy sauces hiding the flavor.. only nice enhancements.. We all started with fresh oysters.. then two diners had the grilled whole branzino with kale. I had the grilled calimari with tabouli starter.. I only wished it was heavier on the tabouli side.. but very good overall. The desserts are all divine. I do not have a sweet tooth, but can not pass up carmel pudding with sea salt.Special Features:
- Not impressedAwesomeDined on 6/11/2014We had heard good things about this restaurant, but after dining here we will not recommend or return. I ordered crab legs that were so soggy I could not even crack them. I squeezed them over my plate and water just gushed out- they were saturated. My partner had fish and chips that were just bland. There was nothing extraordinary or unique about them. The service was okay, there were periods of time we did not see our server but she was friendly enough. Glad we tried the restaurant but we will not return.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/6/2014Recommend the lobster roll and softball crab! We are going back soon especially if they continue these seasonal specials..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING OTR RestuarantCJAXDined on 5/31/2014My wife and I went for a double date with some friends to this local spot in the OTR. This was our first time to the area for dining. The Anchor had a beautiful and romantic type of environment. The atmosphere was comfortable and intimate. Our server was pleasantly helpful and gave us great advice for what to order. I personally would recommend the BLT Trout sandwich. It is one of my favorite sandwiches I've ever had. It was affordable and overall I plan on going again and again. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a romantic night out in a new and upcoming area.Special Features:
- The following 327 reviews are from the The Anchor reviews archive.
- PerfectJencincyDined on 5/24/2014Loved our date night here! Food was amazing & service was spot on. Lovely out door dining overlooking Washington parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic experiencetomtVIPDined on 5/20/2014Had visited Anchor on two prior occasions with other couples and had outstanding experiences -- great food and great service. This last visit was with my 16 year old granddaughter. She was trying mussels and oysters for the first time. The waiter and the general manager were wonderful in connecting with her and making our visit truly memorable. Such a great place to eat outside facing Washington park activity and beauty and our food was prepared perfectly. I will be back often with my wife and friends, and I'm sure my granddaughter will be asking me to bring her back soon.Special Features:
- Never DissappointsHBOhioVIPDined on 5/20/2014The Anchor is fantastic. I have never had a bad meal there and the staff is wonderful. If you like seafood, you really can't go wrong at the Anchor. They have a great selection of fresh oysters, wonderful fish selections, great cocktails and an incredible patio to eat on and enjoy the view of Washington Park and Music Hall.Special Features:
- Ho HumTastingGirl624Dined on 5/17/2014Have had good experiences before for lunch & weekday dinners. But at 8:00 PM on a Saturday night, we found the restaurant very noisy and the music too loud for comfortable dinner conversation. We felt rushed - three courses in a hour - but would not have lingered anyway because of the noise. Thankfully the food was quite good. We had the clam chowder which was creamy and rich and filled with clams and potatoes. The mussels were tender and plentiful. Scallops over corn were pleasantly spicy and the scallops were perfectly cooked. I do wish our share request had been honored with the splitting of the dishes instead of bringing one dish and expecting us to divvy up the portions; particularly challenging with soup.
- Excellent dinner pre May FestivalcincyjeffVIPDined on 5/16/2014The scallop dish was excellent - well balanced and generous portion. Music was a bit loud in the front room but the server turned it down after we commented on it. Quick and courteous service. I would like to see a few more menu choices.Special Features:
- All things fish!cmkcmkDined on 5/16/2014As the name implies, this is a place for fish lovers. Not much else on the menu if you do not like something from the sea. I had the special (lobster roll), and my dining companion had the scallops. Each entrée was delicious. The server was helpful, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- General Mgmt has right responseheroVIPDined on 5/10/2014We had one of those evenings where everything went wrong with our dinner. Glad to see the Management handles their problems well. 8:00 dinner on a Saturday night and they were already out of several main dishes in a pretty narrow menu. That coupled with slow bar tenders, entrees that took 2 hours to get to our table and then, one needed to be sent back because it wasn't cooked made us glad we were out with people we liked and could laugh about the evening. The Generakl managare was terrific and gracious in apologizing and making things right with the meal. hopefully thinkgs become smoother in the operations as the place is lovelySpecial Features:
- enjoyed as alwaysBarryDined on 5/10/2014It ws delicious as always.we would come back. Overlooking washington parkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and drink, but VERY loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Every bit of food we had was delicious, as were the fantastic cocktails. The service was just ok, as we had to remind our server of our drink orders a couple times. There was no door on the kitchen and the dining room was cramped with lots of echoes, creating an overwhelming sensory overload. I don't mind loud environments generally, but this was just too much. Everyone at the table had to yell to hear each other, and since this was the case for every table I couldn't wait to get out of there and get some peace and fresh air. The patio seating seemed much nicer and not claustrophobic, but our party of six was too large. I probably won't be returning for these reasons, which is too bad since the meal was exemplary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great tastes, less fillingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/9/2014The three of us shared 3 meals. All excellent, biggest concern was on the light size for servings. Good thing we had room for desert, salted carmel pudding and chocolate sundae were outstanding! Recommend getting apps/meal/desert for complete dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs helpOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed the food at Anchor, but our service was a huge let down. After a cordial greeting by our server, we ordered drinks and the deviled eggs. Ten minutes later, our drinks finally showed up and no eggs. The rest of the service pretty much went this way. We would go again, but hope the management gets this service problem ironed out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely view of Washington ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/6/2014We arrived about 6:30pm on a Tuesday evening and we offered a seat on the patio, which we gratefully accepted. We were able to watch the tale end of the Zumba class taking place in Washington Park, which was a unique experience and really fun to watch. I ordered a whole fish at the market rate (somewhere between $25-30). They de-bone/fillet it at your table, which I enjoyed seeing them do. I got the fish 'thai style,' and it came covered with a fresh raw mango slaw mixed with jalapenos, cilantro, and perhaps some marcona almonds. Well cooked, well presented, and much enjoyed. Can't wait to try a few more of their dishes.Special Features:
- Outdoor dining at it's bestLvOTRDined on 5/3/2014I was pleasantly surprised at being able to sit outside, with a view of Washington Park and Music Hall no less. It was a very pleasant night and there wasn't a lot of noise from traffic like you sometimes get when sitting outside. Our server was very knowledable and helpful in explaining some of the dishes to us. The pasta with mussels in an alfredo sauce was outstanding and we tasted two different wines which were both very good. I have previously had the fish and chips which is also excellent. The atmosphere and friendly staff will keep me coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutdoorOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/3/2014Very fresh and interesting menu. We had two different kinds of fresh oysters followed by a bowl of clam chowder. My wife had the trout BLT. I had spot tail bass with couscous. Bothe very well prepared. Outdoor dining with view of park and music hall at night was great. Not as crowded is the spots on Main.Special Features:
- Nice Atmosphere and ServiceeatsgoodheartedDined on 5/3/2014The service was what I liked most! Everyone tried to please in a very friendly way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday CelebrationSwampFoxDined on 4/30/2014All four of us had great meals. Particularly liked the fried oyster appetizer, corn on the cob side, and the scallops, seafood stew, and sea bass entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time!hammertimecatDined on 4/29/2014We had a great time! The calamari appetizer was not good but they took care of it right away (no charge). We will be back.Special Features:
- Delicious respiteRosemaryDined on 4/29/2014Enjoyed our pre concert (Pops) dinner. Served well, in a timely fashion. Can't beat the location! Good experience.Special Features:
- Always amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2014I've now dined here half a dozen times and have never been disappointed. There really is nothing on the menu I wouldn't recommend, my friends and I have had most everything at one time or another and are always pleased by the freshness and flair. Be sure to listen to the specials, there are always gems there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice catchRachelDined on 4/25/2014The Anchor was a lucky find for us. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but inside, we found a helpful staff willing to make adjustments in our seating arrangements and provide a professional level of service that was missing from our previous most recent dining experience. I thought the menu was somewhat limited, but the entrees we ordered were excellent, and the dessert was a pleasant surprise. Recommend The Anchor? You bet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014I have to anchors several times and have always had great service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedVIPDined on 4/23/2014Was very much looking forward to our first dinner at the Anchor as it won best seafood restaurant in Cincinnati. I have to say I was very disappointed. Our waitress suggested her favorite Spot Tail Bass. It was tasty but the portion size was very small. Approximately 3" x 4" x 1" thick. Maybe 4 oz. at most. It came with some tasty couscous but not much to eat for $24. If you are looking for seafood I would go elsewhere.Special Features:
- librarianVIPDined on 4/22/2014We found the menu very limited in fish selections even though that is their specialty. The whole snapper was OK but we fought the bones all the way. Chairs very uncomfortable. Need cushions or padding. Seating on banquet leaning back on pillows was dreadful for our backs.
- Consistently terrificjdm00Dined on 4/18/2014The Anchor has taken its place at the top of the Cincinnati dining scene. Having been to most places in OTR and Downtown on more than one occasion, I can honestly say that the food at the Anchor is of the highest consistent quality. I have been there four times now, and have never had a meal that is just OK. Consistently top notch, and now that spring is here the outdoor dining option is great as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Could Not Have Been WorseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 4/12/2014How do you ruin a perfectly cooked meal? Dis-interested service, missing food, missing utensils. What a shame. It was a perfect spring night for al fresco dining and it was sadly a bomb!!Special Features:
- Early DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Enjoyed an early dinner here at 6 on saturday and it was not crowded. The food was excellent, I had the sea bass and calamari appetizer. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice seafood placebothenjsDined on 4/12/2014The menu is fairly small- I was disappointed they only had shrimp one way as a standard shrimp cocktail yet had oyseters several different ways. The mussels were very good. And the wine was actually good. The appetized of scallop with pulled pork kind of confused me- I like them both but together not so much. We had Panna Cotta for desset- it was very well made but very plain flavorwise (my daughter is a pastry chef so I'm kind of spoiled). I will definitely go back and try other items on the menu. The service was excellent and the waitress very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OK Seafood.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/11/2014Unknowledgeable service. Most seafood cooked well, but preparations weren't very exciting. Bouillabaisse lacked flavor.Special Features: