1201 N. Galvin Parkway
Phoenix, AZ 85008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.gertrudesrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 4807198600x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 7:00am - 10:30am
Sunday Brunch: 7:00am - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Vegetarian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Stephen K. Eldridge
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Chef's Table is right next to the kitchen line and seats up to 12 People
- Private Party Contact: John T. Windels 6024814669x
A word from Gertrude's
Gertrude’s, the much-anticipated restaurant at the Desert Botanical Garden, offers a fresh new food experience focusing on ingredients directly from the farm and pasture to the plate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Gertrude's - Best Restaurants in Phoenix ›
Gertrude's reviews from OpenTable diners
67 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (46)great for lunch (33)fit for foodies (32)scenic view (30)special occasion (23)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (15)good for groups (13)romantic (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (9)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Romantic dinner in the desertFeedMeDined on 5/12/2014First time trying Gertrude's at the DBG and we were truly impressed! The sangria was DLISH, LOVED the hummus appetizer w pickled veggies. Very tasty! And both our meals were very nice! Great food. GREAT service! Lovely start to kick off romantic walk thru the garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Is this chicken?Milly2121Dined on 5/12/2014The menu offers a perfect list of choices for a garden dining experience. Staff is friendly and professional, dealing well with crowds. However, we were dissapointed by the length of time it took for our food to arrive and the quality of the food, in two visits. The "Swine" was visually unappealing at brunch, maybe we should have known by the name. Ordered Gertrude's greens with chicken at lunch. Perfect greens arrived with unrecognizable orange nuggets, with an unpleasant consistency.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchpurnhagwDined on 5/11/2014The food was outstanding: My wife ordered the chicken breast, and I had probably the best short rib ever! Gertrude's is a fun little place, but the ambiance really doesn't match the quality of the food. Service was adequate, but unremarkable. We did not realize that the "Mother's Day Brunch" menu was all being offered that day, hence even at 6:00pm, about half the menu selections involved eggy brunch dishes. (Not that we object to eggs---just not for dinner, thank you.) Several sandwiches were offered, but only two or three dinner-entree dishes. All in all, the food makes Gertrude's worthy of another visit, but probably not on a holiday.Special Features:
- Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014We took my mom to the garden to see the glass exhibit and went to brunch at Gertrude's. It was the first time we've eaten there and it was very good. The weather was great, we ate outside. The food was very good and we will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdoor eating venueAZgal01Dined on 5/11/2014Inside, the restaurant is charmless and loud. Outside, the restaurant is graceful, relaxing, and enjoyable. If there is no outside seating, just go to the nearby cafe up the path at the botanical gardens.Special Features:
- Never againPhxFoodyDined on 5/11/2014We arrived at 11:55am and had to wait 40 minutes to be seated eventhough we had a reservation for noon!!! The staff seemed to be overwhelmed and didn't care how our experience went. We got our drinks served in plastic cups, on mothersday!!! The menu included times which are suppose to be available for dinner but many other people around us ordered them, we where not make aware of it. A American breakfast, egg Benedict, and a salmon dish took another 30 minutes to prepare, after we ordered, until we got served the ice cold food. The American breakfast does NOT include jelly. You will be charged another $1.50 for one serving! The seafood plate was that smelly that my mom was unable to eat the mussels and shrimps! Worst experience ever!!!Special Features:
- Gertrudes for BrunchOutalotVIPDined on 5/11/2014As always the ambiance is picture perfect. The food selection provides something for everyone. The dishes were well proportioned and the service was excellent with the manager showing personal attention to every table. This is one of my more favorite spots to come and have an interesting meal and truly enjoy the outdoors.Special Features:
- Service?bigd82647Dined on 5/11/2014Went for Mother's day Brunch. Food great, service, not so much. Hostess very cold. Waiter did not offer specials and was over consumed with large group so could not attend to us.Special Features:
- Mother's DayJDP1Dined on 5/11/2014Great finish to the ambiance and viewing of the botanical garden.Special Features:
- Strange servicehappydinerDined on 5/11/2014The waitress was nice, the food was good, atmosphere was pleasant, we were all having a good time....and then a restaurant worker of some sort, asked my daughter and I to get out of the booth so he could climb up, walk on the seats and use his dust buster to vacuum up flies in the upper window corner!!!! My daughters and I just looked at each other in disbelief! I thought he was joking at first and even said, "You want us to get out?" Mind you, we had NOT been bothered by the flies, had not said anything about flies and really were not aware that they were even in the window. This was probably the rudest, most thoughtless and clueless treatment I have ever had in a restaurant! Not sure who was in charge, but he should have been fired.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedasitisDined on 5/10/2014Did not have all the selections thatr are advertised on the web site there for a very minus rating in cusyomer satisfactionSpecial Features:
- Abor tourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Reservations,it was busy and delayed ; long wait, food was great, wait-staff woefully ignorant of the trees/ arborculture on their on patio..Wow what kind of tree is that!? I dont know..it is a sycamore)! oh well, we'll be back;, down the learning curve..Been there,;but did not personally tolerate it myself & stepped up to learn..WadeSpecial Features:
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Very romantic place! Great food, very good service. Had a very nice time there and hope to return again soon. No complaints other than no restroom inside the restaurant itself.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and poor servicedeborahVIPDined on 5/10/2014We ate at Gertrudes on Saturday night 5/10/14. The Chihuly exhibit was in full swing and the gardens were extremely crowded. The restaurant, however, had empty tables. Despite empty tables, the service was extremely slow. We ordered wine and it took at least 20 minutes to get to us. I could see the carafes sitting at the bar, but the waiter was overwhelmed. The food was mediocre. I ordered the risotto. It was bland and mushy. My salad was good and my fiance's fish tacos looked and tasted okay, but nothing special. I had heard that the food was excellent, but I was frankly disappointed.Special Features:
- Late arrivalFoodexplorerDined on 5/10/2014We were caught in a traffic jam and then had to contend with the lack of parking availability due to 2 weddings and a corporate event. So we arrived 1 hour later than our reservation. But we were seated very quickly and had a great meal. Our server Sandy was very knowledgeable about wine and took good care of us.Special Features:
- GardenDined on 5/10/2014The food was awesome! Service, by David, excellent. Entire staff friendly and courteous. Can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- Awesome!mrsmDined on 5/10/2014The outdoor dining was fabulous! The food was so delicious and very reasonably priced for the exceptional quality. The service was spectacular!! We will definitely be back! Reservations are a must!Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014This was our first visit and we had the annual pass. Dinner on the patio at twilight was perfect with a nice walk in the park afterwards. Can't wait to come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LIKETOEATALOTDined on 5/10/2014The food and service was excellent. The only complaint is the noise factor. Very loud almost annoying. Will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- gertrudes in the gardenbutlerDined on 5/10/2014This is a gem of a restaurant, located in the Garden, with fresh food and beautiful cacti surrounding the tables. I will return even without visiting the Garden. The food/experience is that good!Special Features:
- Great food and outdoor diningluliDined on 5/10/2014Great restaurant for special event or just an night out. Different entrees make it a great place to meals; portions are quite large! Loved the hot dog!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indoor/outdoor choice neededgardenfanDined on 5/10/2014When using the online reservation form, there needs to be an indication on it regarding whether you would like to sit inside or outside. Currently, there is only a form for generic special requests. I had no idea that there was an outside dining option, and, when we arrived, they tried to seat us outside. It was a hot afternoon (4:00), and we were with my 84-year-old father-in-law, so there was no way outdoor seating was going to work. When asked if we could sit inside, we were told that other people had requested inside dining and we had not. Eventually, they did allow us to eat inside. The prices were reasonable, so no complaint there. Please add a specific button/choice for indoor versus outdoor seating on the website.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!SDdinerDined on 5/10/2014We went for lunch on a hot day so opted to eat inside. Everything was great but it was noisy. Food was great and so was the beer selections and service. I would definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2014Outstanding service, pasta of the moment entree was delicious, fresh ingredients, delightful. With the Desert Botanic Garden surrounding us, we had a marvelous morning and lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AppreciatedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/9/2014We all remarked how great it was that a group of 8, with an 8 PM reservation, was seated on time. It was a packed evening too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014this was a special treat for my Granddaughter who loves the Botanical Gardens....the Chihuly exhibit was the bestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service, Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Just a great place to enjoy lunch or dinner. Great food and great service.Special Features:
- Gertrude's GardenDeeBoyzMommaDined on 5/9/2014My husband and I recently had dinner at Gertrude's prior to enjoying a Music in the Garden concert and exploring the Chihuly exhibit. It was the perfect start to our night out. I had the salmon dinner which was absolutely amazing. He enjoyed fish tacos. We shared the jalepeno/basil cheesecake, which was a truly creative twist on cheesecake and delicious. It was a busy evening, with lots of energy. I highly recommend making reservations, as we did. We got right in. There appeared to be quite a few folks waiting for a table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much anticipated...poorly executedRachelDined on 5/9/2014I wanted to like Gertrude's, really I did. I made reservations a month ahead, reviewed the menu several times in advance, talked it up among friends. We ordered humus for an appetizer. I specifically told the server we wanted a slow paced meal. Five minutes after that our entrees arrived. We had just started our appetizer! The server acted put out that we even asked for time to finish the first course. To add insult, the quinoa salad lacked flavor, the Mac & cheese was gluey, and our server Lisa wasn't interested.
- Wonderful!luvthegardenDined on 5/9/2014Had a wonderful relaxing dinner on the patio one evening before a show. The food was unique and excellent, the service great, and thank heavens for being able to make reservations. The people in front of us at the hostess station were told that they couldn't be seated until 4 hours later. Will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not that spectaculardesertratnanaDined on 5/9/2014We went on a busy night during the Desert Botanical Garden Chihuly glass exhibit, so perhaps Gertrude's wasn't at "her" best, but the service was painfully slow and the food was definitely overpriced for what we got. Seriously...$4 for a plate of bread & no refills offered on the beverages? They can do better than that. That being said, the Beet Salad was fresh & very tasty. The Natural Chicken was quite good. Swine was mediocre at best. We'll give Gertrudes's another try on a less-busy night, but after two visits, we're still waiting for the "spectacular" that others have raved about.Special Features:
- Garden delightandiDined on 5/9/2014Gertrude's is the perfect before or after spot for your trip to the DBG. The food is fresh, local and a nice variety and the staff is helpful and personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food!LovesalmonDined on 5/9/2014. We needed a shaded table and Had a hard time getting an acceptable table as the restaurant was saving spaces for a group and needed to push tables together. Quite noisy, but acceptable level. Ordered a salmon salad and indicated I wanted the salmon medium. When the salad came, most of my fish was too raw to eat, the other person ordering that salad had the same problem. The great waitress brought little plates for us to put our fish on to cook a little more. Mine came back with basically no change..couldn't eat it. The other person's fish was cooked.Special Features:
- Great if you have the timeMeateaterDined on 5/8/2014We enjoyed our visit to Gertrude's but found the service to be a bit slow and the ambience nice but noisy and interrupted by all of the flys. We stopped for a bite to eat while enjoying the Chihuly exhibit which was awesome and even more amazing at night. The food was great and because of the location we will probably do it again when we visit the DBG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Diningeloisd49Dined on 5/8/2014This is my second time at Gertrude's and dinner was great. I had lunch the first time which whetted my appetite to have dinner there. The food was imaginative, also the drinks with unusual ingredients which make dining an event. Loved it and I hope that the restaurant continues to do well even without the Chihuly Exhibit to bring folks in. I have reservations next Thursday evening with my husband and it should be romantic.Special Features:
- DowngradingSunLakersDined on 5/8/2014Tthe atmosphere is great as long as you don't get seated indoors near the front door. When it's crowded, it is very difficult to hear. I think the menu is pricey for basic food. A hot dog, salad, mac n cheese, 2 wines and a beer from my wife and I was $60 before tip. The final total was over $70. Sitting outside, or near the outside, makes a lot of difference. Our waiter told us a new chef is arriving this summer.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/8/2014Calimari appetizer was excellent but could have used more dipping sauce. Pulled pork sandwich was average, salmon in mole sauce was ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableFromSeattleDined on 5/8/2014Unique and memorable setting. Beautiful outdoor dining with plenty of umbrellas for shade. Wait staff couldn't have been better. Food was just fine. If you like the Arizona plant life with it's incredible variations as backdrop this is the place to go.Special Features:
- ExcellentFrstephDined on 5/7/2014My fourth time there and still my favorite place to take guests. Don't know that I'll be back until the weather is cooler, but we were lucky with the cool temps the other evening. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great...dbeagarDined on 5/6/2014The food here again was good and the prices reasonable. That said, it is the fact that the restaurant is at the Desert Botanical Garden that I eat here. It like to take in the garden during the early evening then eat and visit the garden again as night falls over the exhibits. The fact that the food is respectable just means I will take time at Gertrude's as part of the garden experience.Special Features: