199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/the-general/
- Phone: 2122717101x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 6:00pm-10:00pm, Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm-12:30am, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Hung Huynh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Jazz Room Thursday-Saturday night 7:30PM-12:30AM.
Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room
- Special Events: For events please call 212-271-7101
A word from The General
In early 2013, EMM Group opened their largest Manhattan project to date on the well-worn Lower East Side corner of Bowery and Spring Streets. The 20,000 square-foot property at 199 Bowery houses multiple concepts including The General, a bustling destination restaurant serving up Modern Asian Cuisine in an inspired and imaginative style. Top Chef Season 3 Winner and Executive Chef Hung Huynh has created a menu featuring a wide range of innovative dishes such as the Tuna Tataki BLT, Philly Peppersteak Sweetbuns, Peking Duck and The General's Beef and Broccoli, all marked with creative, culinary twists and turns around traditional eastern flavors to ensure a truly interactive and exciting experience for restaurant patrons. Additional reservations are also available in our Jazz Room, Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
The General - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
The General reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (102)hot spot (92)vibrant bar scene (75)fit for foodies (70)special occasion (57)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (40)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (20)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Grear experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/27/2014Loved our time at The General, the waitresses were super nice, made reccomendations on which dishes to buy. The food came out fairly quickly, we seemed to get a lot of attention from the staff which was nice. Great ambiance as well..we went on a Thursday night and it was crowded but overall I would def reccommend this place!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindCarolynVIPDined on 3/26/2014A great downtown spot with amazing food. We went on a Wednesday night and it was pretty crowded - lots of work groups. But the atmosphere was cool (although Catch I think is better) and service was wonderful. Will definitely return!Special Features:
- Fantastic!!!! Great food greatDynenyVIPDined on 3/22/2014Fantastic!!!! Great food great service great buzz great music. GREAT!!!!!Special Features:
- We tried multiple items onOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/21/2014We tried multiple items on the menu and everything was delicious. We made a reservation and it took the host about 45 minutes to seat us, but the staff constantly checked in and made our wait worthwhile. Our server as the true epitome of a server. He made sound suggestions, checked in at the right time and he knew his menu to a T. We will absolutely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- funalisVIPDined on 3/20/2014when we got there at 6:45 on a thursday night it was a bit crowded. when we left at 9 pm it was jam packed. the food is good and fun, def a bit pricey. i liked the ambience of catch better- their other restaurant in the meat packing. i felt like the general was a lot of groups on business accounts.Special Features:
- not only a hypeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2014I have been trying to dine at The General many times but was never lucky to score a table. So I was especially excited to eat there -but also sceptical: did it really deserve the hype or was it just another of those NYC "hot spots". And I was not disappointed: great vibe, delicious food, outstanding service. I will be back!Special Features:
- The food was decent but....AMN2143Dined on 3/8/2014I understand Saturdays are busy. I can tolerate waiting a half hour or so for my table. It was my friends birthday and we had plans for after dinner. Out reservation was at 9:30 (for three people) and they didn't sit us until 11:15. Although we were offered a round of drinks, it totally killed the entire dining experience. Our server was great and the food was good. But the wait alone would make me never want to come back.Special Features:
- Great dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/7/2014The food at this restaurant was lacking. The portions are miniscule. The dessert however was delicious and made this restaurant worth the trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightl9danceDined on 3/7/2014This was my second time at the general. My boyfriend and I had an awesome anniversary meal here. Fun scene, very lively on a Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was delicious, andOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/7/2014The food was delicious, and the service was very good. The only challenge was trying to talk to your dinner companions as the noise level was too loud.Special Features:
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Amazing amazing amazing! Seriously one of the best meals I have ever had. And I'm a huge critic so that means something coming from me. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall I was unimpressedsarah622VIPDined on 3/5/2014Overall I was unimpressed with this restaurant, though it was Restaurant Week so perhaps that's why. I hear the club downstairs is pretty good but skip the restaurant......food wasn't that great, and the drinks were small for the cost. I was really hoping for more out of this place!
- The place is pretty hip, mostcsi77Dined on 3/3/2014The place is pretty hip, most people were pretty young, 25-35. The servers were proper and friendly but did not spend a lot of time visiting the table, my guess is that they were busy with too many tables or busy because of few servers. The food was average, we had the spicy tuna with jalapeno sauce, the tuna was not spicy and lacked flavor, the chicken tacos were the best, the pepper steak robatta was bland. For main, the lemon grass shrimp were too spicy, the wok seared salmon was bland and the spicy schezuan chicken was ok. The best were the desserts, the green tea donut was delicious, and the sorbet terrine too. We had a pretty good Toro red wine.Special Features:
- I know why the guy won top chefOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Wow.....that about sums up the night......the service was excellent....the food just right and plenty of it. We were early diners....and the noise level did rise as more people showed....but never was the level to high to enjoy.....my hats off to the staff and the chef for a most memorable evening.Special Features:
- Great BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/26/2014We had a large group. Our waiter was knowledgeable of the menu items and was able to recommend options for a friend that was vegetarian. The music was loud, but good. At times it was hard to hear one another, but we just leaned in. The food is yummy, but not enough to share. We had a group of 8 and some of the tapas portions only came in three. The Assistant GM was courteous. A friend at the table knew him from another restaurant they worked at. He made sure everything was great at our table. It was a wonderful night to celebrate my mom's 65th birthday.Special Features:
- Met expectationsTinaBDined on 2/26/2014Been wanting to come here for awhile, perfect opportunity to get a group together for restaurant week. Food was great overall. The chicken tacos app is out of this world. The rest of their normal menu looked very good as well and with average NYC prices. Would definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have to say I was unimpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 2/25/2014I have to say I was unimpressed with the restaurant, despite all that I had heard about it. I have a lot of respect for the EEM group and know this is a well known "hot spot" but my experience certainly did not prove it. The service was pretty terrible and our waitress hardly paid attention to us. I was with a group of 5 girls during Restaurant Week and you could tell the staff was NOT pleased we wanted to order from the RW menu as she rolled her eyes when I requested it. The food was decent but not standoutish nor worth the price. The cocktails were the only positive.Special Features:
- Food and ambiance were great!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 2/25/2014Food and ambiance were great! Fun music playing the background with a hip, lively vibe. Convenient for dinner before shows at Bowery Ballroom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food came out a little tooFoodloverVIPDined on 2/21/2014Food came out a little too quickly, but everything was delicious!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food LovertrendydinerVIPDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant is excellent. I would highly recommend it to everyone I know. I love the chinese chicken tacos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GeneralEllizDined on 2/20/2014We went in The General last Restaurant week and I can say that the food was awesome and the service was good. The only challenge was their table is too low for me and I'm kinda having a hard time trying to talk to my dinner companions as the noise level was too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GIDucklamp500Dined on 2/19/2014Loved the GI cocktail! I would go again just to get that. The food and cocktails are good but overall it is a little pricey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for gold...I mean good foodfoodiebynatureDined on 2/19/2014The General is a nice spot to bring a friend from out-of-town; it's a happening scene. They offer an abundance of good food options, nice decor and had a vibrant scene overall. The General provides fresh ingredients that are prepared beautifully. It can get a little loud in the back dining area but not too crazy. I would recommend it for the food; you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotNyEatsDined on 2/16/2014The General is a great spot with a good vible. I thought the menu had great variety and overall the quality of the food was really good. I would highly recommend the chicken tacos and the Chilean Sea bass. Unfortunately we did not go on a night the Jazz room was open so I would check the calendar online prior to going if you are interested in some entertainment.Special Features:
- The General - a gem!SwedeInNewYorkDined on 2/15/2014OMG - can't even begin to describe our experience in this restaurant! Awesome food, fantastic service, amazing drinks, cool interior, vibrant jazz bar downstairs - the place HAD IT ALL! Will come back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The General Is TerribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 2/14/2014Service was horrible, place is loud, and the food was average at best. Place tries too hard to make the food fancy rather than taste good. I would avoid this place at all costs. We had a reservation for two people that was booked weeks in advance. Dissapointingly we were sat at a tiny table that was wedged in between two other tables. The waiter serving the table next to us kept bumping into me and reaching over me to get food to the other table. The waiter we had rushed us, and made it clear he was trying to turn the table over. He kept pushing us to put our whole order in so the food would come faster. Overall this was an absolutely horrible experience and I will do my best to make sure nobody I know ever sets foot in this place again.
- SpectacularBrianDined on 2/14/2014My valentine and I had an amazing night here! Would highly recommend. However service could be better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant but the appetizersAlexDined on 2/14/2014Good restaurant but the appetizers were better than the entrees. The chicken and scallops were a bit dry for main dishes at their price points. The starters were incredible and the drinks were memorable too. Good for groups that plan on sharing many different starters and having a few drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't go for the foodderhDined on 2/7/2014the food was definitely not top chef caliber, and more akin to your neighborhood Chinese place- good but nothing special. we tried the famous chicken tacos (tasty, but then it's fried taco) and the fried rice- both were good but once again pretty monotonous in flavor. The others were pretty much misses (the short ribs.. scallops... the desserts...). BUT I'd still go back, because: the ambience is pretty nice, and it's spacious (important for claustrophobic me). I can picture this as an especially good spot for groups. And I want to go check out the Jazz room- looked pretty cozy down there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always amazing.Shaunnyc11Dined on 1/28/2014This was my third time at The General and it never disappoints. Everything on the menu will blow your mind. Executive Chef Hung (of Top Chef fame) has done such an incredible job here. Equally good for a date or a team work dinner. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great weeknight spotjlmdcDined on 1/16/2014Been here a couple times with friends and have always had a good time. The hot apps and sushi are all wins but I particularly like the General - which they burnish with a blow torch at your table - and the Pow. I'm not a huge cocktail person but their list is great - especially the Lady with a Dagger.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 1/11/2014took my wife there for her bday...everything was great but the portions are way to small .....for family style u cant have 3 tacos as small as ur thumb...it really would cost them tiny to increase the portion size...its almost awkward how small the portions are...but food quality is fantastic...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was OKcnicksDined on 1/11/2014Food was pretty good - we got 2 sushi rolls the General and the Pow roll. Both were very good. We also ordered the chicken tacos which were my friends favorite but probably not my favorite. We also ordered a side of the sausage lo mein - it was alright. We had an order of the Hamachi with Artichoke - I thought this was very good. We also ordered the Spare ribs and they were very simple but the meat was very good. Overall I thought that place was OK but not the hotspot that I was expecting.
- Very good!RobinVIPDined on 1/11/2014The food was good, but NOT fantastic. Weight staff was amazing. Small plates were VERY smallSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recomendedJosefinDined on 1/6/2014Im sorry to say that I choosed this restaurant based on the meny and pictures from their own website and forgot to look at rewievs. It is very expensive, and really smaill plates. That is not the problem though. The food is NOT good. You can have much better sushi at any sushiplace in a mall. Nice service, I guess they did what they could to make this place better. We went on a monday night but I still didnt expect the place to be empty...
- Great food very loudJacwasDined on 1/4/2014The food was fab but for people over 30 it is too loudSpecial Features:
- Food and service were great.JTdineVIPDined on 12/15/2013Food and service were great. Would definitely recommend this one. Try the sea bass - delicious!!!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousAlfredDined on 12/11/2013Everything was great and I love dining family style in order to taste all the delicious items on the menu. Deff need to go back and try to tackle the rest of the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/8/2013First time going to The General and it was a nice experience. It has a good feel and casual setting. The food was great especially the chicken tacos. The drink "Lady With A Dagger" was good. The only issue was that the food like the chicken tacos and the boneless BBQ spare ribs it that they're finger foods. But other than that the overall experience was great.Special Features:
- food was awesomejilliancimsDined on 12/7/2013everything we ordered was delicious! the tuna tartare cups, chicken tacos, and crab roll were outstanding. crispy shrimp and rice cakes with tuna were also delicious. The crowd was lively, and a bit loud so be prepared to talk over the noise. Only real complaint was that we had a 9pm reservation and they didn't seat us until 9:45pm. highly recommend this place- a gem in the LES neighborhood.Special Features: