199 Bowery St.
New York, NY 10002Neighborhood:
Lower East Side
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://emmgrp.com/restaurants/the-general/
- Phone: 2122717101x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday: 6:00pm-10:00pm, Tuesday & Wednesday: 6:00pm - 11:30pm, Thursday - Saturday: 6:00pm-12:30am, Sunday: Closed
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Asian, Chinese
- Executive Chef: Hung Huynh
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Check out our Jazz Room Thursday-Saturday night 7:30PM-12:30AM.
Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room
- Special Events: For events please call 212-271-7101
A word from The General
In early 2013, EMM Group opened their largest Manhattan project to date on the well-worn Lower East Side corner of Bowery and Spring Streets. The 20,000 square-foot property at 199 Bowery houses multiple concepts including The General, a bustling destination restaurant serving up Modern Asian Cuisine in an inspired and imaginative style. Top Chef Season 3 Winner and Executive Chef Hung Huynh has created a menu featuring a wide range of innovative dishes such as the Tuna Tataki BLT, Philly Peppersteak Sweetbuns, Peking Duck and The General's Beef and Broccoli, all marked with creative, culinary twists and turns around traditional eastern flavors to ensure a truly interactive and exciting experience for restaurant patrons. Additional reservations are also available in our Jazz Room, Make A Reservation at The General Jazz Room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAsian
The General - Best Restaurants in Lower East Side ›
The General reviews from OpenTable diners
169 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (98)hot spot (95)fit for foodies (74)vibrant bar scene (69)special occasion (61)neighborhood gem (43)late-night find (38)great for outdoor dining (27)romantic (21)great for brunch (10)notable wine list (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- Good time, probably won't go backPBuntingDined on 8/6/2014I had a good time at the General. Great ambiance, crowded and playing some great music. Food was very good, we had 5 people and split rolls, hot small plates, fried rice and then two desserts. All the food definitely had "wow factor". Our waitress, who was pretty much never to be found and rude should have recommended the amount of food needed to order. Our table was not able to finish about 1/3 of the plates that we ordered due to over-ordering after we asked her how much she recommended. All of this when The General is fairly pricey.Special Features:
- Fabulous Asian inspired food in NYCmsbnyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Great food, great cocktails and very god ambiance. Chicken tacos & the crispy shrimp to die for!!! Hung's fried rice--amazing! All of the sushi rolls are delicious. Have brought friends and family here. A must try. Furthermore we had the NICEST server ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taster's DelightMurgatroydDined on 8/2/2014We had the tasting menu and it was delicious. The crispy shrimp, enrobed in a velvety sauce, was addictive - as was the fried rice, which was among the best I've had. The cocktails were original and excellent. The service was ultra-professional and the setting was glamorous. Could be a go-to spot before a show at the Bowery Ballroom or a movie at Landmark Sunshine Cinema.Special Features:
- started it out excited..FranchiDined on 8/1/2014One of my favorite time of the year is Restaurant week because of course you get to have an amazing meal for an amazing price. I have been to the General on many occasions, last year for restaurant week which was amazing. The food tasted great the service was great so i was excited to have a ladies night out here. This time not so much the food was not as fresh and my amazing green tea donut which I had been boasting about all day long felt flat in flavor as well as the presentation. Our server just seemed out of it like if us restaurant week folks didn't deserve the Same attention as the people who were there buying from the regular menu. I was really disappointed with my experience at the general, I won't be back for a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DaneeDined on 8/1/2014Hosts were not friendly or apologetic for seating us 30 min after our reservation. Sushi was not bad however the rest of the food was mediocre. Most likely would not go backSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/1/2014The hostesses had attitude. The table service was indifferent and inattentive. It's too bad, because the food was excellent.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Restaurant week price is not restaurant week price. Too much added costSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- the general was okseabiscuitDined on 7/30/2014good food and drinks small portions and rather pricey. best part of dinner was the green tea donutsSpecial Features:
- mmmmDined on 7/30/2014Small portions , adequate service. Although we were all there on time, we were not seated on time. There was some confusion over the reservation, we made it for 6 and they had it for 6, but they inexplainably had another reservation for 2. Hostess had an attitude when she sat us. Waitress was adequate, not overly friendly. Food was ok, but really small portions. What would have normally been a restaurant week bill ($38 per person) ended up over $70 per person due to us having to order more food. Would probably not go back again
- Would think twice before recommendMambo1Dined on 7/29/2014When food comes out to quickly ,which it did , it's premade and for the prices they charge it shld be made to orderSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DUCK!!KiwMaxDined on 7/29/2014Best Peking duck I have had anywhere - friendly service - crazy live karaoke downstairs on some days - not a place for a romantic tete a tete but fab for friends and groups!!Special Features:
- Overpriced ChineseGourmetmomVIPDined on 7/26/2014$79 for Peking Duck just about sums this restaurant's treatment of its guests. While tasty, that is way overpriced and no better than a good Peking Duck from Chinatown, at half the price. Portions were so skimpy we had to go for ice cream after. around the block. Save your money and head to Chinatown instead. This is way overpriced for what it is.Special Features:
- Tasting Menu FungreenVIPDined on 7/24/2014but go early if you don't want loud music and a scene.Special Features:
- At least the food was good....SFoodieDined on 7/23/2014I went during restaurant week and from the poor service we received, I think they were not ready for a packed house. The hostess was overwhelmed and failed to notice a table was open for about 15 minutes. The restaurant week menu selection was pretty good, however about 50% of the menu you needed to add money if you wanted certain selections, which defeats the purpose of restaurant week. The food came out sporadically and in no particular order and took a really long time. The waitress seldom came by to check on the table and when desert time came around, they had run out of 2 of the 3 choices. Although the Green Tea Donut was good, I would have rather had the Chocolate Trifle which I ordered as soon as we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service needs ImprovementFoodieVIPDined on 7/23/2014The hostess didn't seem like she wanted to work & didn't say anything. No smile, no hello, no thank you, no enjoy etc. Very odd. We got seated and our waitress came to the table right away to explain the menu. We ordered our food within 3min since we sat and our dishes came out quick (we ordered everything from the sushi bar) the rice cake w/tuna is Yum! Dishes are meant to be shared. We didn't see our waitress after we ordered. Waited 15min to get our bill. The server that served us our food was a bit strange, he spoke very low when explaining our food items & was pointing at our food so close as if he was going to touch it. Overall - food was good, but over priced. Much rather spend my $ at Nobu or MorimotoSpecial Features:
- not impressedThreasaVIPDined on 7/22/2014over priced, food wasn't terrible it just wasn't up to the price they were charging. not a well managed outfit here. I cannot see it being a hotspot for long.Special Features:
- not so gooddineoutDined on 7/22/2014I thought the food was fair. And, we went for Resturant week. But one of the three entree choices had a $29.00 up charge and one of the three appetizers had a $8.00 up charge. The point of rest. week is to encourage people to dine out, to try different restaurants. Put items on the rest. week menu that are included in the price you charge. It should be INCLUSIVE!!! $29.00 up charge on an item on the resturant week tasting menu! That is is insulting.
- Good food, service not so muchNikkiDined on 7/19/2014Cool place, good food, not so good service. We had a late reservation, 10:30pm. You would imagine in a place like NYC that late(r) reservations are common, however we didn't exactly receive a warm welcome. By the time we were seated, it took about 30 minutes before our server came and asked for our drink order. Apparently, another server had been assigned to us but refused to serve such a late arrival.Special Features:
- Great food...a bit expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/19/2014I thought the restaurant environment, the staff, and the food was really great. The only drawback is that the food is definitely pricey.Special Features:
- A Happening Place...JonDDined on 7/17/2014Amazing food. Drinks were fantastic. Great service. Nice ambiance. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great server!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014We took our friends from Australia here for a great night out in NYC. Our waiter, Joshua, was awesome! Great food, atmosphere and service!Special Features:
- Very good except for noise levelmjeeDined on 7/12/2014Food was good, Good looking crowd, mostly young, too noisy, Gets crowded after 8 pmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itDreamer079Dined on 7/9/2014I came to The General for my birthday party with a small group of friends. The hostess was really friendly and seated us immediately. The food was delicious- the waiter was attentive (eventhough he was swamped). I had the best time and would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian sensationchefboyarveeVIPDined on 7/8/2014I've been to The General a few times now and I can at the very least say I've never had a bad experience. Even if they are not up to par on a certain aspect such as food or drink, they tend to make up for it with the scene and overall ambiance. It's hard not to have a good time here and is a great spot for groups. The lobster tempura roll and mercy roll were great to share as well as the Chinese chicken tacos and fried rice. The bourbon-miso Chilean sea bass I believe is one of the best in the city. Drinks lacked the "potency" given the price but seems pretty consistent with some of the more "sceney" restaurants with big name chefs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOutAndAboutNYCDined on 6/26/2014The food was exceptional! The thai chicken balls are made with perfection and the sushi is very tasty and creatively put together. I had my birthday there on a thursday night at 9:45pm. The restaurant front was not packed at all, the inside part with the tables for larger groups was more lively. The only issue we had was that the service was slow and our waitress was stressed dealing with a large group, and wasn't particularly energetic and provide happy service. I will definitely go back for the food.Special Features:
- Delicious and great atmoshpereFlyingFinDined on 6/26/2014Went with a couple friends on a Thursday night. Changed my booking a few times and they were very accommodating. The food was incredible, great to share with a group or choose individual dishes. Mongolian Robata skewers were delicious! A tasty cocktail list, very reasonable pricing and all round great experience - can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so-so experiencecsmailmeDined on 6/26/2014overall, the food is great. the issue i have with this restaurant is that people always feel rushed. waiters/staff hover over your progress and quickly remove plates. secondly, the waiters are ALWAYS helpful except for the one we had this time around. even when we mentioned that the coconut ice-cream desert was runny (not like the last time), it was all very blasé. anyhow, i would go back but i wasn't happy at all. sorry.Special Features:
- MehhhVIPDined on 6/24/2014For an expensive place, they just don't make the grade. They served pre prepared sushi rolls that were dry and bland. Portions were small - a tiny portion of seaweed salad, for instance, for real money. I would not go back. Service was spotty. Everybody was nice and pleasant but not well managed. The fried rice was very good.
- Incredible Experience!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/21/2014Everything I ate was amazing. The ribs, fried rice, lettuce wraps, and general roll are incredible. Wonderful find! Excellent for large groups. Vibrant, exciting scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 240 reviews are from the The General reviews archive.
- Birthday DinnerJGrollVIPDined on 6/21/2014I chose The General for my boyfriend's birthday dinner considering he loves Top Chef and Asian cuisine. I had the UD Perks voucher, which included two cocktails and five courses. Upon arriving, we told the waitress, who hadn't seen it before, and were asked for the print out. I didn't have that so they kindly printed it for me. However, we were never offered cocktails (I later asked for the menu) and at the end of our meal, was presented with a bill for them. I didn't argue because I didn't want to be embarrassing. The sushi roll was excellent and the dessert we ordered in addition was also great, but we found the rest of the meal to be unremarkable. Wouldn't go back.
- Wife want to try heard good thingsOldsohoDined on 6/21/2014Food is contemp Chinese, is over seasoned and too much cooking oil. Couldn't wait to finish and leave. Have had worse, but not worth the trip. Noise level is unbearable. A hip down town crowd seems to enjoy it though.Special Features:
- great food!!!mickeyDined on 6/20/2014Great food and amazing drinks! very noisy, but we liked it! very energetic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot June NightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/18/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday on 6/18. The General was her choice and I heard many mixed reviews and was hesitant because I never knew anyone who had actually eaten there. To me it was one of those places in NY that you pass all the time, but never patronize for whatever reason. So as the planner and at the request of the Birthday Girl I made the reservation. The food was good, service was just ok. It was just too hot to stay for dessert or cocktails. I don't know if I would go again unless by invitation.Special Features:
- Always delicious, always funmsbnyVIPDined on 6/18/2014Ever since we discovered this restaurant and realized that it was Chef Hung's project, we have been going there regularly with and without friends and family. The food is not only delicious but creatively presented. The flavors are inventive and unique. Although the larger dishes are wonderful, the small dishes are usually the way to go for us. We order as many small dishes as we can and always Hung's fried rice. Some of our favorites are the crispy shrimp. the crispy sushi roll, the chicken meatballs and the miso seabass. The cocktails are also great as well as the desserts. The coconut cake is to die for. We will always go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic Experiencejamesr73VIPDined on 5/24/2014We had a tremendous experience at The General for my wife's birthday dinner. The atmosphere is great, and the food is even better. We opted to do several small plates and split an entree, which was more than enough food. The Lobster Tempura roll was our favorite dish. A must try!Special Features:
- Very loud and terribly overpriced.RestaurantsVIPDined on 5/24/2014The food was good, but the portions were skimpy for the price. Far better restaurants in the area for the time and money.
- Yummy n fabulous!BoboDined on 5/16/2014Loved it! Especially the burlesque show!! The food was to die for mmmmmmSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent but poor serviceNewYorkerDined on 5/14/2014This restaurant is great, food is excellent, place is cool and ambience is great plus in the weekends the music is great. That said, this last time we had to wait for our table for more than an hour despite having a reservation. Once we got the table it took another half hour for waiter to take our order and another half hour for the food. We had a reservation for 9 pm ended up sitting down at 10.15 and having dinner at 11. Our waiter was fine but the hosts are unorganized, unfriendly and overall a disaster - no apologies on their part, just bad attitude. Anyways, this place is still great so I would go back again I would just make sure I make reservation for 7 to get seated by 9. Very disorganized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The GeneralTurkVIPDined on 5/6/2014Best Peking Duck I ever had- most expensive as well! Sushi rolls are innovative and delicious. The Fried rice side dish was superb and bountiful. All their dishes are meant to be shared and do so very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waited an hour with reservationaed847Dined on 5/3/2014Had a reservation at 9:45. Checked in early with 3 out of 4 of the reservation. The last person arrived at 9:45, and we were not seated until 10:45. The food was excellent and the staff was apologetic and sent two free appetizers (which they later added to the bill and we had to ask to remove), but an hour delay when you have a reservation is unacceptable.