1080 14th Street
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Downtown / LoDo
SushiPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://epernaylounge.com/
- Phone: 3035735000x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick Shankland
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Epernay
Epernay is a contemporary raw/sushi bar located at 1080 14th Street, in the heart of Denver’s Theater District. We have quickly been named # 1 Lounge of the Year by Nightlife & Bar Media Group as well as Denver's premier lounge. We offer a realm of sophisticated sex-appeal through our unique, globally inspired dishes and our unparalleled ambiance. We have an amazing array of small plates, sushi, specialty cocktails, and champagne by the glass. Our menu is a perfect fusion of classic standards and contemporary tenacity all designed to amaze. Epernay is the ideal environment for an intimate night with friends, coworkers, and couples. Epernay is open for dinner service Tuesday through Saturday night.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Epernay reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (8)hot spot (8)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (4)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)good for groups (4)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Better suited for drinksBecks47VIPDined on 6/22/2013Epernay has a cool ambience in the bar/lounge area but the dining area is somewhat isolated and small. We ordered the ceviche which was probably one of the worst we've ever experienced... we also ordered several sushi rolls and they were thick on the rice and thin on the sashimi. We tried the place because of a travelzoo coupon but probably won't be back again for dinner. It does have a cool bar area that may be a good spot for having drinks downtown before/after a show at the convention center with an elaborate champagne list.Special Features:
- This was our first time atChicagoanVIPDined on 6/22/2013This was our first time at Epernay but it won't be our last! They have a great Happy Hour and the Bass was scrumptious!Special Features:
- AwesomeMegan1420Dined on 6/20/2013Food was good. Service was great. Ambiance was awesome.Special Features:
- Slow Service, Average CuisinesushifanDined on 5/30/2013Had an early Dinner before attending the Seinfeld show at the Buell. Sushi was decent. Steak was average. With only 3 other couples in the restaurant seems like our meals could have been prepared in less than 45 mintues? Thankful for the wine during that wait. Stick to being a bar / lounge...you are not a real restaurant!!!Special Features:
- Quality of food doesn't matchFriendsVIPDined on 5/24/2013The food is variable in quality. The spinach salad was drown in dressing. The beet salad was plain and uninteresting. Sea bass was good as we're the mussels. There are much better restaurants downtown. Weird vibe. Won't go back.
- Just OKSteveTVIPDined on 5/24/2013We went there for the first time. It was alright, but not great. We probably won't return.
- Good sushiDommyDined on 5/10/2013The appetizers we had were spectacular (halibut and tuna sashimi plates)! The sushi was ordered was good, but nothing special.Special Features:
- Sushi surprisesamypizzleDined on 5/7/2013Epernay has a some surprising twists to their menu that add variety and pleasure to the dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unprofessional Hostess - Stay awayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/3/2013I was just in Denver and had made several reservations through OpenTable. My work colleagues from Ireland wanted some Sushi so I thought this place would be good, however I had a terrible experience. Hostess was unprofessional and very rude. When I walked in the female hostess was busy talking with a male friend. He saw me standing there and then asked her if she needed to speak with me. She then asked me if was here for dinner and I said yes then she said she would be with me in a minute. I should have gone elsewhere but my colleagues were there already drinking some champagne. Server was good and food was OK but believe me I will never go back to this. I could have found this type of attitude in my home city of Miami.
- Great Sake/Sushi menuOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/2/2013We've been to Epernay twice now, once after the Symphony for drinks and dessert, once prior to a Buell performance for dinner. The food is exceptional; the sushi is fresh and beautifully presented (have the Spicy Missy roll if it's on the specials) and the striploin is delicious. We've had 4 of the desserts - the cream brulee is amazing, but everything else we've had has been a nice combination of sweet and savory. This is the first restaurant downtown in a long time with a large sake selection; we're working our way through this list and it's all been outstanding. An undiscovered gem by many, we've only had one Friday night where it was packed, but this will soon be on everyone's list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!FrequentDinerKBVIPDined on 4/25/2013We had a birthday party at Epernay and it was wonderful. The food was amazing, the service was outstanding and it was just a fabulous evening. Many thanks to the staff and to Duy for his magnificent food!Special Features:
- Not up to snuff..yet!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 4/20/2013Great location near theater, has potential, but neither the menu nor the service is there yet. The restaurant was out of everything on its seafodd bar it touts: Oysters, lobster, clams, and mussels. The restaurant was also of the first two wines I tried to order. We ordered the Dragon rolls- they were very tasty if you like a lot of mayo in the rolls. The beet salad was excellent, and a mixed green mint/jalepeno sald that I special ordered (it usually comes with sirloin)- both were excellent. The sahimi was rubbery yellowtail and I could not eat it and we left most of it- sub par, unacceptable. We ordered four pieces of Ngiri and again, the fish cuts containe da lot on tendons and were not buttery like they should be. Expensive.
- This place is respectableRLReasonsVIPDined on 4/19/2013This place is respectable - nigiri and maki were both very good. A pit pricy for wine and a bit of a bait and switch on Saki - ordered one and came back with a much more expensive one and tried to up-sell! Overall a nice place - not very crowded for a Friday night when other places near by were packed - that always tells me something.
- Smart drink list--and greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/12/2013Smart drink list--and great accompanying food choices--had two sushi items, both supple and fresh. Service was a bit chaotic for the number of people dining at the time--took me about 15 minutes to get a second drink--Overall, pleasant experience.Special Features:
- A Huge Let DownOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/5/2013Went with a friend for dinner on a Friday night. The Exec Chef was seated at the table next to ours with friends. The food was not very good, slow to our table, and the service was virtually nil. The conversation on the chef's table was inappropriate and became more so as they drank. Ultimately, I was very disappointed that the Chef was not in his kitchen to oversee, but more over was disappointed that for the 1.5 to 2 hours we were there not once did he note that we were barely eating and impatiently waiting. Can't really recall what I ate specifically, but I can tell you it wasn't all that memorable of a dining experience beyond being disappointed. I will not be back until they establish adult supervision at this place.
- Food Hits and Misses, Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2013Need to significantly pick up the service pace. Arrived at 7pm and left at 10pm for a party of 6 on Friday 3/22. 5 minutes from seating to server arrival. Beer/Soft Drinks took 10 minutes, bottle of champagne another 10 minutes, only to be set in an ice bucket for another 5 mins until our server arrived to open it. From seating to first sip of champagne was 30 mins. Other service gaps were more likely due to kitchen execution as the meal wore on and on. HITS Spinach Salad, Poached Salmon, Miso Glazed Sea Bass. MISSES Seared Sea Scallops (no seared caramelization at all) Bittersweet Chocolate Cheesecake (lifeless) and Strawberry & Passion Fruit Cake (average at best) Server was very nice, but meal pacing was awful.Special Features:
- Cool SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013Epernay is a cool spot. The service was great and I loved the atmosphere. The food was pretty good but the sushi was nothing to write home about.Special Features:
- Everything, from decor, togourmandVIPDined on 3/16/2013Everything, from decor, to food, service even the choice of background music is classy. This was our first visit, there will be more as it is conveniently located for pre- or post-theater dining. We hope that they will not have an off night and disappoint us.Special Features:
- Not a good first impressionSwissFamilyDined on 3/2/2013Needs some polish. Open table has the wrong phone number listed. Valet was horrid! They couldn't even serve us coffee.Special Features:
- A very unusual menu - needOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013A very unusual menu - need to tweek a few things, but a great addition to the area.Special Features:
- delicious well-constructedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/2/2013delicious well-constructed food, wonderful service, Bartenders are very friendly and helpful, wonderful drinks. I cannot wait to return, people-go here!Special Features:
- It was a party of 5 ladies.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013It was a party of 5 ladies. 1st time for all of us. After looking over the website & the great reviews, we were looking forward to the Epernay experience. Upon arriving, the host & bartender were upbeat & friendly. Our waiter was short with us & had zero personality. After 2 hours of not receiving our food, the. waiter casually apologizes for the wait & informs us its taking so long because the kitchen is small. He offered us complimentary mussels but those never made it to our table. Both orders of the salmon weren't thoroughly cooked. Rightfully so, we requested to speak with a manager. He insincerely apologized & comp'd 3/4 of the bill. The ambience and drinks were good but needless to say, I wouldn't recommend this place.
- Great food and service! TheSunnyDined on 2/22/2013Great food and service! The mussels were outstanding!!!Special Features:
- The food was awesome. It isbobthewineguyDined on 2/20/2013The food was awesome. It is great to have Chef Duy back cooking in town. His food is not to be missed.Special Features:
- The service was amazing, theLauraVIPDined on 2/13/2013The service was amazing, the food cooked perfectly and delicious! We had the kunimoto oysters, the pork belly macaroni for starters. The scallops and sea bass for dinner. Everything was perfect! The menu is also amazing with lots of yummy choices... can not wait to try other things. The ambiance was fantastic and decor very stylish and modern. The drinks were creative and refreshing!!Special Features:
- I know they haven't had theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/9/2013I know they haven't had their official opening yet so I can cut Epernay a little slack. Our bad experience really all came down to a bad waiter. It was fairly empty and took us 20+ minutes to get our drinks after we ordered them. Seeing as they were both fountain sodas that didn't make much sense. We also found out there was a whole sushi menu only after we paid our bill when another waiter brought the menu to his table. That would have been nice to know since the menu was much more limited than we thought it would be. The food was ok but $16 for a shrimp cocktail with 5 small shrimp was a bit outrageous. I'll give it another chance once they work out some kinks but so far I'm not impressed.Special Features:
- New place but has a long way to go.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2013The sushi is not very dialed in. There are much better options in Denver for Sushi. The service is awkward. We had 4 different people come to our table and they would fill your drink if you took a sip. No privacy for an intimate dinner. Then when it came time to bring the check the waiter took forever to come back to our table. I know the place is new but not impressed at all.