1318 East Union Street
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantzoe.com/
- Phone: (206) 256-2060
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Staples
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: http://feedcocatering.com/
Contact our catering manager Paula Snow directly at (206) 226-2010.
- Private Party Facilities: At Restaurant Zoe, we have several private dining options. Parties can be hosted in Restaurant Zoe, either in a 22 seat semi-private banquette area, a 36 seat heated year round patio. There is also the option to do a 40 seated/50 standing event in the 10 Degrees Dance Studio/Oola Distillery space that we are now located in.
- Private Party Contact: Paula Snow 2062262010x
A word from Restaurant Zoe
Restaurant Zoe is a favorite destination for locals and visitors alike. Located on the corner of 14th and Union St on Capitol Hill, Restaurant Zoe's lively urban setting provides the backdrop for Chef Scott Staple's seasonally crafted, produce-driven fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Restaurant Zoe - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Restaurant Zoe reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (76)neighborhood gem (56)special occasion (48)romantic (44)great for outdoor dining (26)notable wine list (25)good for groups (20)hot spot (13)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- delicious food but small portionsL123Dined on 6/14/2014Artistically small portions. Food was delicious. Service a bit slow but we were in no hurry. Parking is a pain but there's a lot nearby for $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More for next time206BobDined on 6/13/2014Each of the four of us had a different entree and each loved theirs but will order others for next time...or next times as there were still more great options we didn't trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamenessLadyDined on 6/12/2014The food was good BUT - I felt that the portions were too small for the cost of the dinner. I also felt that there was a sameness to the food - the same as similar restaurants. And I think that the presentation could be a little less arty and put a little more food on the plate. I ordered tea with milk and honey - the waiter forgot the milk and honey. I will not go there again.
- 2nd time, both greatGrandmasAndGrandesToquesVIPDined on 6/9/2014Underrated. First visit in November, still can't forget the perfect black cod. Best ever. Second visit in June, absolutely terrific, especially the small plates. They clearly care about the food they produce, source top quality ingredients, and execute very well. Service was excellent both times, but on second visit the server was as unobtrusively aware and on top of things as I've ever experienced. Will be back any time I'm in Seattle.Special Features:
- Exceptional food and serviceRestaurantGuruDined on 6/1/2014I came here on a date and we did the 5 course tasting menu. The service was superb, the best I have experienced. The waiters were always checking in would explain each meal when presenting it. We had soup shooters, salad, halibut, homemade pasta, short rib, and two types of dessert. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, wonderful servicejessgnawyourbikeinhalfVIPDined on 5/29/2014Recommend: tasting menu. SO GOOD. I felt really special because we had especially great service during our dinner. The staff was so sweet and provided us with one of the best service I've ever had in a restaurant. I will come back for sure!Special Features:
- Excellent Second MealFrecklesDined on 5/27/2014This was our second time at Zoe and we loved it! The food was delicious and unique in just the right way. We had our two school age children with us because it was a birthday celebration and the waiter was very accommodating, splitting a burger for them. They also served up a cake that my husband had brought with him (as a surprise!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealSeachesterDined on 5/24/2014We arrived early and were pleased to be seated quickly. We started with some very nice cocktails and had a great server. First course arrived quickly. Main courses were great, I had the burger others had fish. Desserts were nice, just the right size and delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely Local GemBryanDined on 5/24/2014Quite nice local restaurant which hosted several groups and families the night we dined there. It's probably more expensive than most people would want to spend on children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new location!SukichuDined on 5/16/2014Jonathon our server is a gem! He was knowledgeable, friendly and took excellent care of my guest & me. The new location is perfect. Looking forward to experiencing "Quinn" the next my friend visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle needs burger regulation...galbyDined on 5/6/2014I really like Zoe, I visit every six weeks or so. The experience is always a good one, whether I'm inside, at the bar or on the enclosed patio. The food: consistently good. When I go out, I want something better than what I can do at home in addition to the experience. Zoe does that. However...on this occasion I just wanted a burger. I loathe paying $15 for a burger, so the $18 tag here made me check my napkin to make sure it wasn't actually a stock certificate. It's too much, people. Add to that, my dinner date and I both ordered the same thing, prepared the same way and my medium rare burger swamped my plate with drippings while his remained bone dry and it taints to price worthiness of the food. For an $18 burger, you gotta nail it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMickMattDined on 4/30/2014Very nice atmosphere, excellent cocktails and a nice wine selection, and the food is full of flavor and well prepared.Special Features:
- Very good - could have been betterJohnDined on 4/26/2014Overall, we had a very nice meal. Service was slow - long wait between courses. The waiter was awkward and didn't stop by to ask about our food (which was excellent). The bus service was very good however and we always had full water glasses. A bit too noisy too in the atrium.Special Features:
- Wonder Variety At Zoe'sProfessorDined on 4/24/2014I met my two sons at Restaurant Zoe. The menu as usual was filled with choices we wanted. Two of us went with three smaller plate items including the boar pasta with sauce and the roasted cauliflower, sultanas, and pine nuts. Everything was excellent. They wine list was extraordinary and obviously put together with care. It could use a few more modestly priced bottles. We will be back at Zoe's many times.Special Features:
- Lovely DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/19/2014Fantastic service and food, we had a wonderful time!!!Special Features:
- WONDERFULDshawVIPDined on 4/19/2014It was my wife's birthday, which we kept quite, but what a wonderful evening. every dish was fantastic and we will be back again and again!!Special Features:
- Fabulous once you get thereNYEverydayDinerDined on 4/17/2014We were there for an earlier dinner. Traffic was heavy but parking was a nightmare. My date dropped me off after we had been "circling" the streets. Took him another 15min to find a spot. Food, presentation, and waitstaff were impeccable. For us it was a special occasion although for others just a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great cocktails, amazing service!AmandaDined on 4/16/2014Our server was a sweetheart and the set up in there is really great both for smaller, intimate things and larger groups. Our food was great, the service was quick and thorough. There's a cocktail on the menu called the "spring flowers" something or other, I ordered it and it probably came out less than 2 minutes later, and I could probably drink 18 of them without getting bored. So good. Also, the chicken they serve with the lentils made me like lentils when I used to kinda hate them, so there's that.Special Features:
- Spot On Meal at Restaurant ZoeAlisonDined on 4/14/2014My husband and I were just at Zoe during Restaurant Week. We had an excellent time and have zero complaints! Our server was delightful and prompt - she knew just when to check on us versus leave us alone. The timing of the courses was spot on, as well. We didn't feel rushed to complete our meal before the next course arrived. We had been to Zoe a few times before but this was our best experience. Since it was just the two of us it was nice that it was a bit of a romantic setting, but this would be a great location for a small group of friends or family, as well. Of course the food was excellent. We enjoyed the ricotta gnudi, pork tenderloin, chilled asparagus soup and half chicken, as well as the chocolate tart for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalTeeraceDined on 4/13/2014I can't say enough good things about this restaurant. The food was amazing, the service was impeccable, and the overall feeling of the restaurant was light and airy! One really impressive attribute was the server was intimately familiar with the ingredients of the dishes. We asked about a particular spice that we couldn't identify, and he had enough knowledge to help us isolate it. It was very impressive and complemented the exceptional quality of the food. I live in the neighborhood, so I am confident I will be back often. I have also passed along my experience to all of my coworkers and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but not pretentiousCindyVIPDined on 4/12/2014This restaurant walks a very nice line between special and casual, groovy and approachable. There are so many good places to eat in Seattle now; it's nice to find that a place with energy and atmosphere can serve delicious food without fuss. The special, the night we went, was one of the most memorable dishes I will ever eat--a hank of veal on the bone, melt-in-the-mouth tender, with a waft of truffle oil, bedded on celeric puree. Truly, it was one of a kind. Our server was outstanding, and all of the table help was attentive. Don't you love a place where your plates aren't swooped away too soon AND your water glass is kept full?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, over-priced wine.MittsterDined on 4/8/2014We had a lovely evening with friends and all enjoyed the food, the beer, the service and the ambiance. We also enjoyed the wine, but wow was it over-priced. For example, they had a Savignon Blanc that I really like and have recently bought for $17 retail. Zoe's price was $45. They also had a good Rioja that I have bought for $20, their price $48. Their cost should be about 60% of retail; that makes a 4x mark-up. Not cool. There are plenty of other restaurants on the Hill with more reasonable mark-ups on their wine.Special Features:
- Nice placeBonappetiteDined on 4/6/2014Met friends here for drinks and dinner during Dine around Seattle. They had a nice selection on the menu, as well as many dishes that were or could be made gluten free. Service was solid and we enjoyed ourselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GO HERE! Incredible food,OmNomNomDined on 4/4/2014GO HERE! Incredible food, excellent wine list, and outstanding service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Zoe has potentialwannabeDined on 4/2/2014The restaurant has some potential; the location is different and the setting is quaint. I guess I hoped for a bit more and maybe my expectations are too high. There was only one vegetarian option, one fish option so I guess the chef is trying to keep the menu managable. Just disappointing for someone from the NW where we have so much good fish to choose from. The risotto was flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inconsistency at Restaurant ZoeeaterouterDined on 3/29/2014The new location of Restaurant Zoe in Capitol Hill is wonderful. It has a very cozy, relaxed neighborhood feeling to it, and it feels more spacious than their old location. We had wonderful service, and the menu offerings looked fantastic. We were, however, disappointed by the entrees. Of the four we tried, none was properly seasoned. The chicken, which our server said was delicious, was significantly undersalted and lacking in flavor. The risotto, on the other hand, was too salty and the flavor was unbalanced -- the sunchokes struck too strong a note. We wanted so much to like it as we had previously several times in the old location. But it was disappointing.
- Girls Night OutdxkissVIPDined on 3/29/2014Us girls like to try something new and we selected this restaurant based on reviews. Service was great, we were never neglected but were also left alone when we wanted more time. I like the menu of small plates and large plates as we like to share our food so we can get a better picture of the fare. I won't say I loved every dish, but it was more a personal preference rather than any oversight on their part. All the dishes were interesting and unique, but I'm not sure I ordered a dish that would be considered a "signature" dish that would make me remember it. They also have a full bar, but if you venture towards the typical dinner hour it could be a little noisy. We went early and it was perfect for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently great experiencerichtVIPDined on 3/27/2014The food here is amazing. Flavorful, creative, and always some interesting surprises. The service is just right -- not over the top, and not spotty. It has a great vibe -- so good for romantic dinner or a place to meet friends.Special Features:
- Awesome Food!LMHSDined on 3/24/2014I went there with friends for Dine Around Seattle in March. All four of us were very satisified with the quality of food and services.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to Capital HillsavorygourmetDined on 3/24/2014After finally realizing the R - rooster - Z stood for Restaurant Zoe and not a new spot called "Roz," i knew Zoe had not moved. Nice lighting in the evenings. Noise level fine in spite of high ceilings. A good assortment of fresh, seasonal dishes. We shared 4 small plates and had wines by the glass. All was tasty and well prepared.. Missed our old bartender, Tom.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tasty dinners at ZoeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/20/2014Even on their "dine around seattle" month menu, Zoe did not slouch, providing creative appetizers, entrees, and desserts for a great deal, as well. I've no doubt that I will come back again, as they've always exceeded my expectations.Special Features:
- Truly delightful!LorraineDined on 3/19/2014We celebrated a family birthday. The timing was perfect, our food came in gentle waves. When asked for pairings for certain plates our server was spot on and well educated. Food was beautifully plated and well prepared. I highly recommend the pork tenderloin, delicious does not begin to describe it. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food in hip placeFoodie318Dined on 3/16/2014We enjoyed the Dine Around Seattle menu for dinner at Restaurant Zoe. We love the new location and vibe, and the food was great, as always. The whole place and food seemed a lot more approachable than when it was downtown, which was great for us. The service was great, too! Highly recommended for a romantic dinner, mom's night out, or a nice evening out with adults.Special Features:
- The side dishes were excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2014The side dishes were excellent so thought the entree would be exceedingly delicious. We had the pork tenderloin and rockfish entrees. Honestly if you closed your eyes and took a bite, you would not know which dish you were eating. Very bland. The fish was over cooked. Not good and expensive. The cauliflower appy was awesome and the drinks were good and strong. We sat in the "outdoor" area, it seemed detached from the restaurant, and very loud from the rain.Special Features:
- The food here is fantastic,lippsDined on 3/14/2014The food here is fantastic, as well as the service. Portion sizes were just right. The food is on the expensive side but is totally worth it. The noise level may be a little loud if a lot of people are their. So maybe don't bring your grandparents there. Really nice service and a really good feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dine around SeattleIronMaidenVIPDined on 3/13/2014Went with friends to check out the 3 courses for $30. We each had something different. All choices were excellent!! Soup, gnudi, and salad. Fish, chicken, pork!! Yummy rioja. Chocolate torte, semi freddo, and apricot layer cake. Coffee to finish off! Will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely recommend!JCJCDined on 3/12/2014Service, food & ambiance were all wonderful. And the presentation was gorgeous. HIGHLY recommend the Honey Almond Semifreddo dessert...AMAZING! This was my first time there and I'll definitely be back. Loved everything about it. Great staff, too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for dessertJosslimbusDined on 3/12/2014This restaurant has a lovely farm in the city vibe. The service is attentive with frequent bread and water refills. The food was good overall, but a little lacking in the details. The butternut soup was good but the pancetta topping tasted like bacon bits from a can and the onions in the coq au vin were under cooked. However the waiter suggested a nice wine pairing with chicken. And the chocolate torte was amazing, so I gave an overall 4 star rating. I would go back again just for the dessert!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Came on Dine Around SeattleOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2014..but unlike some places felt treated like it was any other day - great service, great food quality! Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Great meal!Duckish53VIPDined on 3/6/2014We visited during Dine Around Seattle and had a wonderful meal. We started with great cocktails and everything we tried from the menu was very good - especially the rockfish. The desserts were great as well. We will be back and I am recommending to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.