1318 East Union Street
Seattle, WA 98122Neighborhood:
Capitol Hill / First Hill
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantzoe.com/
- Phone: 2062562060x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Northwest, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Scott Staples
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: http://feedcocatering.com/
Contact our catering manager Paula Snow directly at (206) 226-2010.
- Private Party Facilities: At Restaurant Zoe, we have several private dining options. Parties can be hosted in Restaurant Zoe, either in a 22 seat semi-private banquette area, a 36 seat heated year round patio. There is also the option to do a 40 seated/50 standing event in the 10 Degrees Dance Studio/Oola Distillery space that we are now located in.
- Private Party Contact: Paula Snow 2062262010x
A word from Restaurant Zoe
Restaurant Zoe is a favorite destination for locals and visitors alike. Located on the corner of 14th and Union St on Capitol Hill, Restaurant Zoe's lively urban setting provides the backdrop for Chef Scott Staple's seasonally crafted, produce-driven fare.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Restaurant Zoe - Best Restaurants in Capitol Hill / First Hill ›
Restaurant Zoe reviews from OpenTable diners
70 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (36)special occasion (30)romantic (28)notable wine list (17)good for groups (13)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Staff and food are excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/10/2014Dining with a friend with celiac. Staff was very knowledgeable about gluten concerns and consulted us carefully on choices. The dishes we ordered were wonderful. What a beautiful space, too! Not noisy at all.Special Features:
- AmazingPCDubbDined on 10/5/2014The service was really good, the food was great and the atmosphere is really wonderful. We caught the tail end of Oyster Hour (definitely worth it), the chicken confit and the broccolini and all of it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mac and Cheese NightsadeedsDined on 9/29/2014Went to Restaurant Zoe for their Monday night $25 Mac and Cheese. It really hit the spot on a rainy cool night. The portion is large and easily split between two people. It comes with delicious fritters, greens, and pickled vegetables. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is the placeGeocrackrDined on 9/25/2014The food was outstanding, and the service was impeccable from the moment we walked in the door. It was the kind of dining experience we expect from many nominally comparable restaurants around here and almost never get. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Meh...HollyVIPDined on 9/22/2014This is the second time I have eaten here. Not that impressed. Went last night for the "mac and Cheese Mondays". Mac and cheese was average; we added kale to one of the orders and there was literally one leaf of kale in the whole plate. Seems silly for an up charge of $3... Seating is not very comfortable; if I wanted to sit on hard wooden chairs I would go to church. Beverages and wine were well done. Service was attentive; it was the saving grace of both visits. Given Seattle's vibrant restaurant scene; I probably will not be back soon; RZ is *not* inexpensive; and there are others restaurants that do it better and or more reasonably priced. In this price bracket; I expect more in food quality; imagination, and comfort.
- Zoë never disappoints!TheBoysVIPDined on 9/22/2014We dine out in Seattle at lease a few nights a week and Zoë has become a standard. Menus changing frequently, outstanding service, and some of the best food in the city. Well priced for the quality and a great place to bring friends or entertain clients. Zoë never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingwinefoodieDined on 9/21/2014I have had the chance to dine here on several occasions. Great spot to drop by and grab a bite at the bar as well. Always well executed and delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting Menu!EaterVIPDined on 9/14/2014I like to take me gf out to fancy dinner once or twice a month. We chose Zoe since we've been before and I noticed the tasting menu and I love those. Our waitress was SO excited when we wanted to try it. And they brought so much food, all of which was delicious and beautiful and unique flavours. I'm definitely excited to come back against sometime and I hope their tasting menu is seasonal so I can try lots of different food there!Special Features:
- not as good as in pastyumdinner1Dined on 9/5/2014We have enjoyed a few delicious meals at Restaurant Zoe, but our recent dinner was really disappointing-soggy salad, overcooked gnocchi, bland salmon. Not sure if they were training a new chef, but none of the food was very well prepared this time.
- Loved their tasting / pairing menu!EsquivelDined on 9/4/2014We had a great time. Service was phenomenal, food and wine pairing was outstanding. We got heavy pours of their wines and the food was just a perfect compliment to each glass. The owner even came over to check on us and chat for a bit. I will absolutely return!Special Features:
- Simply deliciousFoodiesfromfarawayDined on 8/29/2014The special cold cauliflower soup was amazing. The calamari was great too. Dessert was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful food, excellent serviceFaintgirlDined on 8/28/2014We ate at Restaurant Zoe on a trip to Seattle a couple of months back, and it was a real highlight of the trip. The bolognese everyone raves about was exceptionally rich, we would recommend a portion to share. It's divine but even the relatively small portion is a lot. I had a salmon dish that was perfectly done, with delicate sides, and a wonderful comfort food style crisp for dessert. The outdoor patio is lovely, despite it's proximity to a pretty busy road, and the service was excellent. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KobeDined on 8/17/2014Service was excellent. It was my second visit. Food was a bit more tasty on first visit. We had oysters, which we sent back, that were not cooked very well. Came with a thick cornmeal crust that was flavorless. The server graciously replaced them and took them off the bill. The salmon was cooked perfectly and tasty. My mom had the lamb and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Discriminating19Dined on 8/15/2014Consistently very good, on all fronts. Great service , food and wine. Among my Seattle favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very accomodatingdreoakDined on 8/9/2014I took my friend her for her birthday. We were running late for our reservation, so I called the restaurant and they were kind enough to hold our reservation. In the end we were only 15min. late. Food was great. Service was even better. It was a nice unrushed special meal. Thank you!Special Features:
- Top notch experienceKnockamoreDined on 8/7/2014My two sons and I celebrated my beautiful young wife's birthday at Restaurant Zoe. It has a very easy going, laid back atmosphere that felt like we were at home. The staff was very attentive (more on that later) and food was excellent. We started with oyster shooters from the happy hour menu, followed up with the spicy wild boar bolognese. Both were done perfectly. Our main courses were all very good, but the crabby patty - Montana waygu beef beer battered soft-shell crab burger was outrageously good. Near the end of our meal, we spilt a water glass. We were immediately surrounded by extra napkins & 4 waiters. After replacing a chair, we were impressed at their efficiency. Food and service get top rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!!HappydinerVIPDined on 8/4/2014We visited Restaurant Zoe a couple of years ago with a friend and vaguely remembered it for having good food and great service. After our spectacular meal last night, I'm sad we didn't return earlier! Wow! This was a GREAT meal and we plan to make this a regular stop! It's a beautiful space, inside and on the lovely patio, the waitstaff and managers were amazing and our dinner was a show stopper. We started w a Rabbit Turrine special and a Wild Boar pappardelle, made w a Arugula. Our Entrees included Crispy King a Salmon over fresh veggies and corn, a creative and delicious Beef/Beet Wellington special and the Chef's Mac and Cheese Monday special with Duck Confit. Really?! Who does this? All delicious and we look forward to our next visit!Special Features:
- Loved it.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/30/2014Visiting from San Francisco where the restaurants are great. Both the pork chop and the salmon were excellent. The peach cobbler was to die for. Good WA state wine.Special Features:
- shareable plates good food and wineGROSSRDined on 7/18/2014Only my 2nd time to Zoe. Would definitely go back again. Nice outdoor patio (summer). Service was great. Nice shareable small plates which is how I prefer to eat. Nice wine list to pair and good overall mix of food. Staff is friendly and accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food, a little differenthankDined on 7/13/2014Just looking at the menu, we weren't sure if we would like it. The food combinations in the main plates were a little different than the usual fare. However everything we ordered was very well prepared and delicious. The staff were all friendly and helpful. They went out of their was to answer questions and make adjustments due to food allergies.Special Features:
- 2 words....Number41VIPDined on 7/11/2014Short Ribs. Well I tried to keep this to two words however the review needs to be at least 50 characters. So guess I should have said: Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs, Short Ribs :)Special Features:
- Awesome 5 course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/10/2014My partner and I each ordered the weeknight 5 course tasting dinner. One course after another was amazing--gorgeous to behold, imaginative in flavors and textures, and absolutely delicious. The server's personal warmth and knowledge seasoned each presentation to perfection, and as we departed staff inquiries about our evening suggested how much caring goes on in Zoe's kitchen. A word of warning: the 5 course tasting adds up to a LOT of food, so lighten up on lunch the day you try it. I am reluctantly dinging the ambiance one star because of the beverage cartons randomly stashed under the banquettes...maybe with so much going on in the kitchen they ran out of storage room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Square peg in a round holeWardDined on 7/5/2014Not sure how a square place like Zoe winds up in such a hip neighborhood. Overall, the food and service seemed comparable to a diner, if you overlook the pretentious pricing--not justified by preparation, presentation, or portion size (if you are one of those quantity equals quality types). The one bright spot was the cocktails. After that: the gnudi were overly starchy and greasy; cauliflower looked reheated; and the salmon was quite ordinary (especially since they forgot the salsa verde topping), and was served over a mish mash of things but called a ragout. The friendly-enough server had not much of a clue and unprompted pretty much recommended everything. The few other diners were either tourists or grandmas and families from Everett.
- Just fineSuper1DanDined on 7/3/2014Not as good at it once was. Food is ok. Service and atmosphere is excellent. Sad to see it so empty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AccommodatemeDined on 6/27/2014If you offer a limited menu, at least order enough food so that guests can choose from what is offered. And if you are out of items, inform guests upon arrival. After pursuing the menu, we were told a desired choice was unavailable . We then made another choice only to be told that it was also unavailable. Why the waiter did not inform us when we were given our menu is a mystery to me. A true dissapointment to spend top dollar for your 3rd choice!! The waiter displayed an exasperated and frustrated demeanor as if he well knew the house did not have its act together. I am willing to pay the price point that Zoe expects but in return I expect to be truly accommodated. With so many really special choices available in Seattle, I won't be back.
- Wonderful food & serviceFoodiesfromfarawayDined on 6/27/2014Everything was great, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the cocktails.Special Features:
- The following 1333 reviews are from the Restaurant Zoe reviews archive.
- Consistent but surprisingKLYfoodieVIPDined on 6/20/2014Always good. Always deep and complex food that delivers an unusual melange of flavors. The staff are warm and welcoming. I always enjoy the dinning experience at R-Z.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious food but small portionsL123Dined on 6/14/2014Artistically small portions. Food was delicious. Service a bit slow but we were in no hurry. Parking is a pain but there's a lot nearby for $12.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More for next time206BobDined on 6/13/2014Each of the four of us had a different entree and each loved theirs but will order others for next time...or next times as there were still more great options we didn't trySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SamenessLadyDined on 6/12/2014The food was good BUT - I felt that the portions were too small for the cost of the dinner. I also felt that there was a sameness to the food - the same as similar restaurants. And I think that the presentation could be a little less arty and put a little more food on the plate. I ordered tea with milk and honey - the waiter forgot the milk and honey. I will not go there again.
- 2nd time, both greatGrandmasAndGrandesToquesVIPDined on 6/9/2014Underrated. First visit in November, still can't forget the perfect black cod. Best ever. Second visit in June, absolutely terrific, especially the small plates. They clearly care about the food they produce, source top quality ingredients, and execute very well. Service was excellent both times, but on second visit the server was as unobtrusively aware and on top of things as I've ever experienced. Will be back any time I'm in Seattle.Special Features:
- Exceptional food and serviceRestaurantGuruDined on 6/1/2014I came here on a date and we did the 5 course tasting menu. The service was superb, the best I have experienced. The waiters were always checking in would explain each meal when presenting it. We had soup shooters, salad, halibut, homemade pasta, short rib, and two types of dessert. We will absolutely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner, wonderful servicejessgnawyourbikeinhalfVIPDined on 5/29/2014Recommend: tasting menu. SO GOOD. I felt really special because we had especially great service during our dinner. The staff was so sweet and provided us with one of the best service I've ever had in a restaurant. I will come back for sure!Special Features:
- Excellent Second MealFrecklesDined on 5/27/2014This was our second time at Zoe and we loved it! The food was delicious and unique in just the right way. We had our two school age children with us because it was a birthday celebration and the waiter was very accommodating, splitting a burger for them. They also served up a cake that my husband had brought with him (as a surprise!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealSeachesterDined on 5/24/2014We arrived early and were pleased to be seated quickly. We started with some very nice cocktails and had a great server. First course arrived quickly. Main courses were great, I had the burger others had fish. Desserts were nice, just the right size and delicious.Special Features:
- Lovely Local GemBryanDined on 5/24/2014Quite nice local restaurant which hosted several groups and families the night we dined there. It's probably more expensive than most people would want to spend on children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the new location!SukichuDined on 5/16/2014Jonathon our server is a gem! He was knowledgeable, friendly and took excellent care of my guest & me. The new location is perfect. Looking forward to experiencing "Quinn" the next my friend visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seattle needs burger regulation...galbyDined on 5/6/2014I really like Zoe, I visit every six weeks or so. The experience is always a good one, whether I'm inside, at the bar or on the enclosed patio. The food: consistently good. When I go out, I want something better than what I can do at home in addition to the experience. Zoe does that. However...on this occasion I just wanted a burger. I loathe paying $15 for a burger, so the $18 tag here made me check my napkin to make sure it wasn't actually a stock certificate. It's too much, people. Add to that, my dinner date and I both ordered the same thing, prepared the same way and my medium rare burger swamped my plate with drippings while his remained bone dry and it taints to price worthiness of the food. For an $18 burger, you gotta nail it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMickMattDined on 4/30/2014Very nice atmosphere, excellent cocktails and a nice wine selection, and the food is full of flavor and well prepared.Special Features:
- Very good - could have been betterJohnDined on 4/26/2014Overall, we had a very nice meal. Service was slow - long wait between courses. The waiter was awkward and didn't stop by to ask about our food (which was excellent). The bus service was very good however and we always had full water glasses. A bit too noisy too in the atrium.Special Features: