Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
117 North Route 303
Congers, NY 10920Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.xaviars.com/
- Phone: (845) 268-6555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday Brunch: 1:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
A word from Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
Restaurant X is located in Congers, New York. This charming country restaurant boasts lush landscaping and a free-form pond which adds ambiance during any season. Restaurant X offers a variety of rooms, each with its own feel. Close to the entrance is the Bully Boy Bar and adjoining lounge, where dinner is served alongside a roaring fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar - Best Restaurants in Congers ›
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
255 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (200)fit for foodies (165)romantic (111)good for groups (98)neighborhood gem (79)notable wine list (72)great for brunch (71)scenic view (41)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (19)hot spot (16)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (4)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/22/2014Restaurant X is never disappointing. Food is consistently good, service can't be beat. We go there every special occasion and more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and service BUT the room was cold.PhilDined on 11/21/2014Good food and service BUT the room was cold. A small electric heater helped some of the guests but others need their coats for comfortSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuesday night 9:30pm4561Dined on 11/18/2014We arrived very late on an "off night" for most restaurants. They could not have been friendlier though. We never felt rushed despite being one of the last tables that night. Food was excellent, service was prompt and professional. The wines by the glass were surprisingly good and reflected an excellent eye for value in wine. It was not inexpensive overall, but appropriate for the quality of the experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/16/2014Still going great after all these years. The food was outstanding, the service friendly and efficient. Will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding Service, Disappointing FoodFishPoppDined on 11/16/2014We went for restaurant week, and my Mother insisted we bring my three year old Son for her Birthday. This idea terrified me and I envisioned that someone at the table would be spending the evening in a parked car with the child as this is no place for poorly behaved kids or unpredictable toddlers. We lucked out, and my Son was sweet and quiet the whole time. The wait staff was amazing with him and offered him such great service that he couldn't be happier or more engaged with his experience. The food, on the other hand, not so tasty. The entree came out cold. It was suppose to be a sirloin but it reminded us of something you'd get at a wedding, dripping in sauce and fatty like a prime rib. It was overly salty and nothing I would eat again. The carrot cake we had for desert was just ok, again nothing I would want again. However, our wine was delicious. If restaurant week is suppose to be an advertising opportunity, it didn't work out well for them as we heard other tables complaining about cook and temperature issues. This used to be my favorite place and a real luxury for me, now it's just great service and disappointing food.Special Features:
- A Romantic Evening at Restaurant Xluv2dineDined on 11/16/2014We requested seating in the bar area near the fireplace. When we arrived there was no fire. They gladly lit one for us lit one for us. The atmosphere is very romantic.The food was delicious, The service was wonderful. They were very attentive to our every need. I look forward to retuning for another delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soft spot for Bully BoyALPSDined on 11/16/2014I love coming to Restaurant X. I've been coming here since it was the Bully Boy Tavern for the signature dish of Beef Wellington, and was delighted it was reincarnated with such a talented chef. The ambiance is wonderful and it has a warm,welcoming feel. The bar and barmen are great. I was here for restaurant week and the choices were impressive. However, I must say the trout special was devoid of much flavor and the vegetables had too much butter. That won't prevent me from returning, however! Love it here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinner spotHappyDinerDined on 11/15/2014We were celebrating milestone birthdays, and this restaurant did not disappoint. Wonderful ambiance, service, and flavorful food. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Restaurant X!LainieVIPDined on 11/15/2014We made a reservation during Restaurant Week. The food and service were top notch. The butternut squash risotto and pork tenderloins were excellent. For dessert, I had the carrot cake which was great. A small macaroon was for each guest was on the house. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealshaunahgDined on 11/14/2014Went with a group of friends last night and had a great time. Service was excellent. Food was tasty as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A "Restaurant week" treat.OstgronDined on 11/14/2014Our party of four enjoyed a affordable meal during restaurant week at this very nice restaurant that is normally above a price range that we are comfortable with. The young staff efficiently handled a busy evening. The food was good and beautifully plated. I particularly enjoyed my appetizer which was a dumpling of beef and Foe Gras. I was surprised at its mid temperature service. I would have expected it to be warmer. The entrée of shrimp and scallops over pasta was acceptable but lacked the finesse that I expected. My wife particularly enjoyed her upside down apple cake desert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantFoodieDined on 11/14/2014The food at all of Chef Kelly's restaurants is fantastic, creative, well prepared and presented. At lunch, Chef Kelly was in the restaurant and visited every table to see how we were doing and if we were enjoying the lunch. A wonderful touch, and so happy that after all his success he is still willing to seek out his customers for opinions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysHdsnboatDined on 11/14/2014We go here often and always enjoy. The service and food are great. We really enjoy lunch on restaurant week. You get a great deal and get to try out a variety of dishes for a bargain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant XKD17Dined on 11/13/2014Food and service are top-notch. One of the finest restaurants in all of Rockland County. You will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always happy with Restaurant XshaunahgDined on 11/12/2014As usual, was treated to another fabulous meal. The short ribs were so tender, you could use a fork to cut them. Butternut squash is so tasty, wish it was a regular on the menu year-round.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average to AwfulCallMeDisappointedDined on 11/12/2014Restaurant Week. Tables were much denser than on our previous visits (not during Restaurant Week). Had extra tables been crammed in to increase the bottom line? Noise was excruciatingly loud. Could not converse with my husband though he was less than two feet away from me, but I was able to follow the conversations of the parties on either side of me, who were a mere 18' away. In fairness, my husband's meal was fine. Mine ranged from average (onion soup) to awful (short ribs); the meat was tough and gristly, the polenta more like vanilla pudding, the brussels sprouts ugly (they looked like charred ribbons of olive-green paper). Overall a visual and culinary train wreck. Also in fairness, the manager attempted to rectify the situation by offering a different entree, something to take home, a complimentary after-dinner drink (which my husband accepted). But I declined. The lackluster service and the overpowering noise level, combined with the unappetizing food had left a bad taste in my mouth that could not be assuaged. I felt that I had been taken.
- Ladies Night OutBrenVIPDined on 11/12/2014We had a wonderful dinner catching up with one another. The 3 course pre-fixed Hudson Valley Restaurant Dinner menu was varied. Everyone was very pleased with their selection. The value was tremendous. Always a pleasure dining at this restaurant,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GloriaDined on 11/12/2014The short ribs were cooked to perfection. The roasted pumpkin panna cota was delicious. Loved the atmosphere, it was like eating in a comfortable home dining room. A little expensive, but worth it for a special occasion. The Restaurant Week Menu was extensive. Would highly recommend Restaurant X,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- X better than everOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2014Restaurant Week menu was really great. New and different menu items and loved that they were locally sourced.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/11/2014As always, Restaurant X always delivers high class food and service. It's always a pleasure to go there and never have to worry about anything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ZummaDined on 11/11/2014We were 6 people and were put at a HUGE table which was not conducive to talking with those across.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- out2dineDined on 11/11/2014The entire dining experience was wonderful. Food and service was exceptionalSpecial Features:
- FantasticGirlabouttownDined on 11/11/2014My friend and I Went for Restaurant Week. We had a wonderful experience. The food, service, decor, etc. was excellent . We will be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early lunch at XTablefor2Dined on 11/11/2014First thing we noticed was an odd fusty,moldy smell when we walked in the door.As we walked into the main dining area it was nice and warm with a inviting fireplace.The bar looks really cool,will have to check it out some night.The drinks menu looked interesting and if it was'nt such an early reservation,I would have had one.We a complimentary bread roll and butter,which was fresh ,warm and tasty,one was enough .Don't like places that give you a basket of cold bread.We had onion soup and tempura cakes first,very good nicely garnished.For the main we had pork tenderlion and trout,again both excellent.For desert we had the chocolate and pumkin tart again very good.Special Features:
- Bravo Restaurant X/Bully Boy Bar!emdeeDined on 11/9/2014Bully Boy has changed since Peter Kelly took over. It was always very good -- a place you went for special occasions -- but now it's even better, the food finer (& a little pricier), the service very attentive (there is a phalanx of various kinds of servers making sure everything is tended to properly). Valet parking makes things a lot easier. The restaurant appointments (decor, rest rooms, flower arrangements, etc.) are nicely done. In spite of being quite large, it doesn't make you feel anonymous. Noise level is a little high but mostly OK -- you can have a conversation without yelling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lives up to expectationsTomturkeyDined on 11/9/2014Everything was as expected for this upscale restaurant and expectations are extremely high for restaurant XSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection all around!TurkDined on 11/9/2014Had a wonderful meal for Hudson Valley Restaurant week. The four of us each ordered a different item, pork tenderloin, brook trout, short ribs and shrimp w/scallops...all cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. And definitely one of the best value's I ever had during restaurant week. Couldn't believe they had Foie Gras as one of the appetizers....soooo good! Can't wait to go back and try the regular menu. Love the relaxed but elegant atmosphere. Every part of this dining experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchChrisDined on 11/9/2014The brunch courses were disappointing in many cases as the beef and lamb were way over cooked and inedible. One waiter who clearly disliked his job would just slam food on our plate and storm away as if we did something wrong. One does not speak for the others though as the vast majority were professional and in some cases friendly.Special Features:
- very tired lookHowardDined on 11/8/2014The food was very good. but unfortunately the restaurant itself looks very tired and run down. needs a complete renovation.Special Features:
- Goodmefg123Dined on 11/8/2014Overall good experience. The only thing I would have to say was a little negative was the time it took for the meal. The waitress would sometimes disappear - we didn't have drinks for about a half hour and didn't even have our meal by an hour into the dining experience. Maybe some people like this, but for my party the three hour dinner was a little unnecessary.Special Features:
- Great suburban restaurantFoodieDined on 11/8/2014If you want a restaurant in the suburbs that could fit easily into the city, this restaurant fills the bill. The menu is creative and always delicious. The service is impeccable. I wouldn't change a thing. Run don't walk there!Special Features:
- Xcellent Restaurant X1njgalVIPDined on 11/8/2014A wonderful dining experience! It was Hudson county restaurant week…the menu offered was wonderful…many choices and all great! This bustling restaurant is a win win…at any time. I was a patron in the 70's as Bully Boy….even though I am now a NJ gal, still love it! Beautiful ambiance, tables spaced comfortably…wonderful food and probably the best martini i have had! Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious!elaineNYDined on 11/8/2014Peter Kelly does it again. I'm a big fan of X2O in Yonkers and decided to try Restaurant X during Hudson Valley Restaurant Week. I was not disappointed. Very different atmosphere from X2O, but the food was just as fabulous! I ordered the Pork Tenderloin, which at first was cooked a little rare for my liking, but they took it back and quickly made it to my liking. The squash bloom appetizer was delicate and delicious. Nice wine list. We were able to find a nice Chianti at a reasonable price. I would be remiss if i didn't mention the Creme Brulee, which my husband ordered for dessert. It was so creamy -- absolutely the best I've ever tasted! I am definitely going back!Special Features:
- restaurant weekGoodeaterVIPDined on 11/8/2014One of the best restaurant week menus we've ever had!Special Features:
- Good food, drinks1234mlDined on 11/8/2014Great Bar atmosphere with lots of hudson valley wines , The food was wonderful , especially liked the stuffed squash blossom app.,short ribs, squash risotto , all yumSpecial Features:
- Not SpectacularsosoDined on 11/8/2014I have beeen to Restaurant X many times, & usually find the meal superior. The service was great, but the meal was lacking. The kitchen fell short this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely restaurantCozyDined on 11/8/2014From start to finish everything was delicious. Starting with the yummy crunchy bread, great menu choices and dessert. My 8 year old was with us and chef was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional Menu for HVRWOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 11/8/2014Bravo Peter Kelly for offering an exquisitely delicious menu for Restaurant Week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014My husband and I became engaged at this restaurant 26 years ago. I am delighted that I can say that while it changed hands, this neighborhood gem has only gotten better with time. During Restaurant Week, my daughter and I had boneless spare ribs where where fall off the bone tender and the crispy brussel sprouts were just delicious. The French Onion Soup was outstanding, rich without being too heavy. The Creme Brulee that topped my meal was excellent. Creamy goodness! The little touches - mini scones and honey with my tea, coconut macaroons to finish you the meal. We could not have eaten another bite but every bite was delicious. The service was warm, friendly and very well timed. You could not get a better deal! We made TWO reservations!Special Features:
- Rockland Gemdanni625Dined on 11/7/2014This was our second trip here for Hudson Valley Restaurant Week, and the experience somehow even surpassed the first time! The food here is excellent, the servers attentive, and the atmosphere warm and inviting. I am looking forward to a special occasion to sample to regular menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.