Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
117 North Route 303
Congers, NY 10920Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.xaviars.com/
- Phone: 8452686555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday Brunch: 1:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
A word from Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
Restaurant X is located in Congers, New York. This charming country restaurant boasts lush landscaping and a free-form pond which adds ambiance during any season. Restaurant X offers a variety of rooms, each with its own feel. Close to the entrance is the Bully Boy Bar and adjoining lounge, where dinner is served alongside a roaring fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar - Best Restaurants in Congers ›
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
140 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (105)fit for foodies (76)romantic (71)great for brunch (49)good for groups (42)scenic view (40)notable wine list (39)neighborhood gem (37)great for lunch (18)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (7)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- ConfusedDisenchantedDined on 10/19/2014The restaurant was packed, noisy and busy. The food was served sporadically, sometimes tossed on our plates, with little to no focus on presentation. There were a few dishes that were notable, but the portions provided only a passing taste, only to be followed by a contrasting dish that confused our taste buds. While dinner at Restaurant X is usually a treat, its brunch is disappointment that comes at a high cost. This was our first experience having brunch at this restaurant and our last.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Its was my 5 yr anniversary and we wanted to try a new place and so happy we chose Restaurant X by a recommendation of a friend. The food the service was A+ Felip our waiter and his serviceman were on top of us hand and foot and we couldnt feel more like a king and queen. They even gave us a complimentsry desert for our special day. Cannot wait to go back againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it used to beOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/17/2014We have been to Restaurant X many times over the past several years. We were alway thrilled with our experience. Not so much this time. The menu was lacking in choices and the service was less that desired. The restaurant was not full and they placed us right next to the servers station. Even with that location, our waiter was barely around. Probably would not go back.Special Features:
- DisappointingFood4thoughtDined on 10/12/2014Disappointment began when my husband and I were brought to a table for 2 squeezed between 2 other occupied tables of 2. This after requesting in my reservation a nice table as we were celebrating a special occasion. What bothered me most about this was that the restaurant was less than half-full! I thought about asking for a table switch but thought they were reserved too. Turns out they weren't-they remained empty. Service felt very rushed as well.Our entree was served almost immediately after we finished our appetizers-we were in and out of the restaurant in 1 hour.The food was good, not fabulous.The quality has declined since our last visit two years ago.I would never go back.For the money spent, the experience was.....disappointingSpecial Features:
- delightfulcaitDined on 10/12/2014Food delicious.. our waiter extremely nice and helpful w. selections. Friendly staff. Overall, met expectations for a weekend dinner for 2 w. great steak specials!Special Features:
- nice for special occasionsmoniDined on 10/11/2014We dined in the main dining room. Decor is nice - though it feels like it hasn't been updated in a while. The carpet seems old and there is an "old" smell to the place. Also, the chairs are creaky. But it didn't completely take away from an overall wonderful experience. The waitstaff are courteous and helpful, and the menu offered a lot of variety. Butternut squash crab soup was just right, not too salty or sweet. - def.recommend Rock shrimp and calamari was good in the first few bites.. and then became a bit too salty for us.. Beet salad was refreshing, and loved the added pecan crunch. Beef wellington and tournedos rossini were about 7.5 of 10. We were so full we skipped desert, but they gave us 2 coconut macaroons at the end. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great mealshaunahgDined on 10/10/2014Restaurant X is our favorite restaurant. Always a great meal!Special Features:
- Old Style Steak HouseDLugoDined on 10/10/2014Back in the day when men wore Jackets and there were table clothes on the tables, on a special night or if you were in the mood for great steak or fish places like "X" were plentiful. That is no longer the case any longer outside of Manhattan. "X" is one of the few great steak houses in the area. Beef Wellington to compare to any beef houses in NYC. Yes the restaurant needs some updating but to update a restaurant yet keep its ambiance is tricky business. In the end its about the food. In this department NO problem. Our waiter "Phillipe" was awesome.Special Features:
- Not as what it's reviewedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014My in-laws had wanted to try this restaurant for a while so for their shared birthday we made them a reservation with their son and daughter to join them. Decor is dated and quite a "waspy" crowd but we gave it a shot as it was a special occasion. Upon being seated we were looking at the food as that is what the place was known for. Waitress approached and when we asked a food question she questioned with an attitude "don't you want to order a drink first?" Filet mignon was a small portion, my in-laws got beef wellington and was not impressed and they charged $26 for a plate of vegetables for our vegan guest.Special Features:
- Always....JeanMarieDined on 10/8/2014delicious dinning! Smoked trout appitizer and the ahi tuna were very yummy and the diver scallop special was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another disappointment from XRGSimpleDinerVIPDined on 9/28/2014I don't get the hype. Rest X is a large a pretty bldg with potential but it is so worn that surfaces feel sticky and dirty. Gum was visible on the back of dining chair. Carpets are brown with wear in high traffic areas. Tables and woodwork are chipped and need repair. Ambiance matters. The food was good quality banquet food. Nothing innovative, no wow factor. Steak at our table was tough and flavorless. Scallops were a bit rubbery from over cooking. For those who want the tried and true, this is a restaurant one could have found in 1975, still unchanged or updated. Even the wine was adequate but not exceptional. The free salted choc tarts given with the bill tasted unpleasant. For $220 for 3 people, no, we will not return.Special Features:
- DeliciousBelM33Dined on 9/28/2014The food does not disappoint! It's been consistently great each time we come. The service was good too. It got a little slow at the end, having waited longer than usual for out dessert order to be taken and then to wave someone over to bring us our check. Despite that, the wait staff were friendly and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingteshiachrisDined on 9/28/2014Amazing is all I can say....you must see it to believe it.Special Features:
- Best Brunch I've ever hadDissapointedVIPDined on 9/28/2014This is my second visit for brunch and it always exceeds my expectations. This is one of my favorite restaurants for special occasions, but the brunch is out of this world. Unlike other brunch buffets where you stand in line to serve yourself, here you are served. . 14 different dishes, and each better than the other. Our waiter Phillip always made sure our mimosas were filled, even when you were only 1/2 way through the glass. AMAZING. . .Special Features:
- Service was lackingmakpakDined on 9/27/2014We arrived at 6 pm for dinner. Service was wonderful at the start but as soon as we got our meal the restaurant filled up, we were completely forgotten about. It was a shame given the meal was so good.
- Pleasant SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/26/2014My husband and I have has difficulty finding a "fit for foodie" type restaurant since we moved from Astoria, Queens to Rockland County. This restaurant is pricey but the food really is quite good and the service was amazing.Special Features:
- Great timemlevDined on 9/23/2014The waitperson was terrific - attentive service and very knowledgeable. The food was very good and paced well. Seated overlooking a stream and waterfall was great.Special Features:
- Wonderful!jeanrtcoVIPDined on 9/21/2014Loved this restaurant, food was great, service very good. Asked about a specific liquor, and waiter said that he did not believe that they had it at the bar, so I ordered specialty cocktail, and when he delivered it, he told me the bartender had gone done to the basement and found a bottle, I took one sip of this $14 cocktail, and didn't like it, so he said no problem and took it back and brought one with the liquor that they just found! Thought that was very nice. I heard the women next to us say she didn't like the cappacino and they took that off their bill. I just think that they want to please everyone. Had a nice time!Special Features:
- best Sun. brunchBobiDined on 9/21/2014Most decadent brunch in town. Over the top, but an opulent experience. Great for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Best brunch ever!GJRNDined on 9/21/2014Can't begin to tell you what a wonderful dining experience brunch at Restaurant X was. It was the first brunch I've ever been to that brings the brunch to you at your table. No standing on lines or carrying dishes round. Course after course of exquisitely prepared food from tortellini with pancetta to pork with apple fritters. Seriously, you won't eat for the remainder of the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An all time favorite!JohnTDined on 9/20/2014Dinner was exquisite as always and the specials are exactly that! The ambiance and mood of the restaurant is warm and inviting. The only issue we had was the service was a bit off but overall a fantastic place to visit.Special Features:
- Restaurant X needs helpKEEPERVIPDined on 9/20/2014What use to be an excellent restaurant, in my opinion, has gone down hill. The building itself is in dire need of updating. I ordered baby lamb medium. it came brown, not a bit of pink. 3 of us at table ordered lamb. One person wanted it completely well done. Myself and other ordered medium and medium rare. Not only was it overcooked, it was tough and chewy and this was suppose to be baby lamb. I felt more like lamb shoulder.
- FranDined on 9/13/2014Restaurant is dated and noisy. Bathrooms need serious renovation. Food overpriced and just average. Would not return.
- foodieDined on 9/13/2014Continues to be one of our favorite restaurants. We have been coming here for many years, to celebrate special occasions or just enjoy a great meal.Special Features:
- A Tradition ContinuesSteveDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I particularly like going here for special occasions. The food is always excellent and the service makes the experience really enjoyable. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how fabulous the Beef Wellington is, it is one of my all time favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulfeedme11Dined on 9/12/2014X is always terrific. From their time honored menu items to new ideas they serve up consistently great food. I am luck to have this place just a few minutes from my home!Special Features:
- Our AnniversaryCarolTDined on 9/7/2014We had a lovely time at the brunch with our party of four to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. The food and service were wonderful and the view was spectacular! I would highly recommend this restaurant and will be returning for another Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- brunch at bully boymilkyDined on 9/7/2014One of the best values for brunch...usually....Usually everything is run to perfection but on our Sunday( 9/7) the young waitstaff did not know how to serve the meal properly. While the lower level was getting two and three servings of some dishes we were bypassed completely. It was only after pointing this out the the main waiter and he had to go back into the kitchen and have them remake and prepare us a new dish did we get a specific course. Other courses when they finally came around to us. some.were lukewarm and the crispy dishes were soggy. What a shame since the food is usually so good and tasty I am sure things will improve and this will be a great experience again.Special Features:
- JonBDined on 9/2/2014When you dine at a 4 or 5 star restaurant owned by a restauranteur with a storied culinary history there are reasonable expectations. While I chose to send a private note to the restaurant on my last visit because I truly believed the establishment was better than what my wife & I had experienced, there was no response from the restaurant whatsoever. Read into it how you may as I did. In any event, 3 months later we decided to dine at X again with the hopes that our celebratory dinner would be met with the high standards X is known for. The reality is the property is dated, pretty view, broken chair at the tble, 1 overcooked cowboy ribeye, dry cream spin,1 prime stk ordered med rare delivered rare/raw, fantastic waitress(this time),vg wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, for dinner in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner was good with some dishes being excellent (beef wellington, miso cod), while others were so-so (oysters rockerfeller with broken hollandaise sauce, and chicken just on the edge of being overcooked). I agree with some of the other comments that it could benefit from a capital infusion to better reflect the fine dining establishment that it is, (e.g. menu and menu covers looking worn and splotched with wine and sauce stains.) On the positives, service was good and they took back a bad bottle of wine without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service still lagsRocklandGourmetDined on 8/31/2014The food at Restaurant X is always good and often creative, but it continues to slump terrible in front of the house. We haven't been there for two years because of having to wait nearly an hour for our table notwithstanding a reservation. We thought that the Sunday evening in the middle of a holiday weekend would be better. It was, but the service was amateurish, and having to wait nearly 40 minutes from when our entrees were cleared until we ordered dessert is unconscionable. Peter, I know you can do better, but it will be a long while before we find out.Special Features:
- Decadent BrunchMaryannDined on 8/31/2014Delightful and decadent brunch. Loved it. The service was top-notch, too. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fabulous.MariaVDined on 8/30/2014We have gone to this amazing restaurants for many special occasions. The food is always spectacular and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as UsualPlaygoerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went to Restaurant X for the Cowboy Steak for 2 Special. While the service was very good, and the ambience was nice, the steak was too tough. In the past when we ordered this steak, it was much more tender. We couldn't finish the meat, but didn't bother to take it home. The sides were good, but the portions for the 2 of us, we're very small. The next time we return to Restaurant X, we'll order from the regular menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- boothbayVIPDined on 8/30/2014The trout special was delicious as was the seared tuna on the regular menu. The food here is nicely prepared and presented. The corn flan appetizer with crabmeat was wonderful and the hint of jalapeno gave a little spice to what could have been a bland appetizer without overpowering the delicate taste of the crabmeat and the corn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchLuvsluncheonDined on 8/29/2014I was so happy, once again that I had chosen Restaurant X to take a friend to celebrate a special occasion. Everything was perfect! Particularly, the service and ambiance. Their price fixe was an excellent choice and I would come back again in a heartbeat. In fact we are coming back in 2 weeks to celebrate another special occasion. The presentation and surprise congratulatory dessert couldn't be beat.Special Features:
- Restaurant XbxbaldieDined on 8/28/2014Another great dining experience!! My wife and I have dined here now on 4 separate occasions, and each has been better than the last. The food is excellent. The cowboy steak for 2 melt in your mouth and the potato au gratin is heavenly. Ask your server for their opinion on some wine, and you will enjoy your meal even more. The staff is friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And if Peter Kelly is around, he will stop and chat!Special Features:
- X Marks The SpotCJ2014Dined on 8/27/2014Best restaurant in the County. Food is excellent. Prepared exactly as ordered. Service could not be better Worth the price.Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysHARTDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Restaurant X numerous times and it never disappoints. The food is always excellent. I requested my favorite room facing the duck pond and was happy that my request was honored.Special Features:
- Perfection if seated correctlyBedfordgalDined on 8/23/2014Our meal would have been absolute perfection if we had been seated in the main room. We were with another couple and were seated in the outer room which was extremely unattractive. We didn't make a fuss since we had friends with us, but the room seriously detracted from our overall experience. The main room has charm and character. The room we were in was cold and cheap looking. If we were to go back I would insist on sitting in the main room. Food and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.