Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
117 North Route 303
Congers, NY 10920Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.xaviars.com/
- Phone: 8452686555
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 12:00pm - 2:30pm, Sunday Brunch: 1:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
A word from Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar
Restaurant X is located in Congers, New York. This charming country restaurant boasts lush landscaping and a free-form pond which adds ambiance during any season. Restaurant X offers a variety of rooms, each with its own feel. Close to the entrance is the Bully Boy Bar and adjoining lounge, where dinner is served alongside a roaring fire.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar - Best Restaurants in Congers ›
Restaurant X & Bully Boy Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (107)fit for foodies (82)romantic (72)great for brunch (52)good for groups (39)notable wine list (39)scenic view (38)neighborhood gem (38)great for lunch (19)vibrant bar scene (12)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- FranDined on 9/13/2014Restaurant is dated and noisy. Bathrooms need serious renovation. Food overpriced and just average. Would not return.
- foodieDined on 9/13/2014Continues to be one of our favorite restaurants. We have been coming here for many years, to celebrate special occasions or just enjoy a great meal.Special Features:
- A Tradition ContinuesSteveDined on 9/13/2014My wife and I particularly like going here for special occasions. The food is always excellent and the service makes the experience really enjoyable. I would be remiss if I didn't mention how fabulous the Beef Wellington is, it is one of my all time favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always wonderfulfeedme11Dined on 9/12/2014X is always terrific. From their time honored menu items to new ideas they serve up consistently great food. I am luck to have this place just a few minutes from my home!Special Features:
- Our AnniversaryCarolTDined on 9/7/2014We had a lovely time at the brunch with our party of four to celebrate our 48th wedding anniversary. The food and service were wonderful and the view was spectacular! I would highly recommend this restaurant and will be returning for another Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- brunch at bully boymilkyDined on 9/7/2014One of the best values for brunch...usually....Usually everything is run to perfection but on our Sunday( 9/7) the young waitstaff did not know how to serve the meal properly. While the lower level was getting two and three servings of some dishes we were bypassed completely. It was only after pointing this out the the main waiter and he had to go back into the kitchen and have them remake and prepare us a new dish did we get a specific course. Other courses when they finally came around to us. some.were lukewarm and the crispy dishes were soggy. What a shame since the food is usually so good and tasty I am sure things will improve and this will be a great experience again.Special Features:
- JonBDined on 9/2/2014When you dine at a 4 or 5 star restaurant owned by a restauranteur with a storied culinary history there are reasonable expectations. While I chose to send a private note to the restaurant on my last visit because I truly believed the establishment was better than what my wife & I had experienced, there was no response from the restaurant whatsoever. Read into it how you may as I did. In any event, 3 months later we decided to dine at X again with the hopes that our celebratory dinner would be met with the high standards X is known for. The reality is the property is dated, pretty view, broken chair at the tble, 1 overcooked cowboy ribeye, dry cream spin,1 prime stk ordered med rare delivered rare/raw, fantastic waitress(this time),vg wineSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, for dinner in the areaOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/31/2014Dinner was good with some dishes being excellent (beef wellington, miso cod), while others were so-so (oysters rockerfeller with broken hollandaise sauce, and chicken just on the edge of being overcooked). I agree with some of the other comments that it could benefit from a capital infusion to better reflect the fine dining establishment that it is, (e.g. menu and menu covers looking worn and splotched with wine and sauce stains.) On the positives, service was good and they took back a bad bottle of wine without hesitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service still lagsRocklandGourmetDined on 8/31/2014The food at Restaurant X is always good and often creative, but it continues to slump terrible in front of the house. We haven't been there for two years because of having to wait nearly an hour for our table notwithstanding a reservation. We thought that the Sunday evening in the middle of a holiday weekend would be better. It was, but the service was amateurish, and having to wait nearly 40 minutes from when our entrees were cleared until we ordered dessert is unconscionable. Peter, I know you can do better, but it will be a long while before we find out.Special Features:
- Decadent BrunchMaryannDined on 8/31/2014Delightful and decadent brunch. Loved it. The service was top-notch, too. Everything was wonderful.Special Features:
- Fabulous.MariaVDined on 8/30/2014We have gone to this amazing restaurants for many special occasions. The food is always spectacular and unique.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as UsualPlaygoerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went to Restaurant X for the Cowboy Steak for 2 Special. While the service was very good, and the ambience was nice, the steak was too tough. In the past when we ordered this steak, it was much more tender. We couldn't finish the meat, but didn't bother to take it home. The sides were good, but the portions for the 2 of us, we're very small. The next time we return to Restaurant X, we'll order from the regular menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- boothbayVIPDined on 8/30/2014The trout special was delicious as was the seared tuna on the regular menu. The food here is nicely prepared and presented. The corn flan appetizer with crabmeat was wonderful and the hint of jalapeno gave a little spice to what could have been a bland appetizer without overpowering the delicate taste of the crabmeat and the corn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely lunchLuvsluncheonDined on 8/29/2014I was so happy, once again that I had chosen Restaurant X to take a friend to celebrate a special occasion. Everything was perfect! Particularly, the service and ambiance. Their price fixe was an excellent choice and I would come back again in a heartbeat. In fact we are coming back in 2 weeks to celebrate another special occasion. The presentation and surprise congratulatory dessert couldn't be beat.Special Features:
- Restaurant XbxbaldieDined on 8/28/2014Another great dining experience!! My wife and I have dined here now on 4 separate occasions, and each has been better than the last. The food is excellent. The cowboy steak for 2 melt in your mouth and the potato au gratin is heavenly. Ask your server for their opinion on some wine, and you will enjoy your meal even more. The staff is friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. And if Peter Kelly is around, he will stop and chat!Special Features:
- X Marks The SpotCJ2014Dined on 8/27/2014Best restaurant in the County. Food is excellent. Prepared exactly as ordered. Service could not be better Worth the price.Special Features:
- Great as AlwaysHARTDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Restaurant X numerous times and it never disappoints. The food is always excellent. I requested my favorite room facing the duck pond and was happy that my request was honored.Special Features:
- Perfection if seated correctlyBedfordgalDined on 8/23/2014Our meal would have been absolute perfection if we had been seated in the main room. We were with another couple and were seated in the outer room which was extremely unattractive. We didn't make a fuss since we had friends with us, but the room seriously detracted from our overall experience. The main room has charm and character. The room we were in was cold and cheap looking. If we were to go back I would insist on sitting in the main room. Food and service were exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best birthday dinner ever!FullBellyBobDined on 8/23/2014We came to celebrate my 71st birthday for the best birthday dinner ever! The jumbo shrimp appetizer were fresh & tender. The mouthwatering Beef Wellington was perfectly cooked, flavorful & so tender it melts in your mouth. It came with assorted sautéed vegetables and whipped potatoes. The popovers were perfect, hot & crisp outside with soft goodness inside. The crème brulle with fresh strawberries was outstanding as was the flan. We were seated by a window overlooking the pond & fountain. Service was attentive but not rushed. I highly recommend X's whether it is a special occasion or not. They have never disappointed us. Dinner for 3 including a bottle of wine was $240. Definitely worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious steakOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014While the food was very good one is able to a delicious steak in any number of places that are not as run down. Time to refurbish!! Oh and please take time to clean the ladies room.
- Cowboy steakFoodieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Amazing cowboy steak. Can't beat the steak for two special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Special PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/20/2014You can't go wrong with whatever you order. Loved the potatoes au gratin and creamed spinach that came with the Cowboy Rib Steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious DiningTinkbabyDined on 8/19/2014The staff at Restaurant X was attentive and welcoming. Our waitress, Maribeth, was on top of everything without being intrusive. The food was outstanding and the Martinis were ice cold. We ordered the grilled peach salad and the beet salad. Both were delicious and the mix of flavors was sublime on the palate. The Beef Wellington melted in your mouth and the flat iron steak was flavorful and tender. It was served with a polenta that was creamy and had just the right mix of spices. We only had room for Decaf cappuccinos but were treated to sinful homemade macaroons. We were there with a friend who we hadn't seen in a year and were able to have a leisurely meal. I highly recommend this restaurant and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth visitingmurphyshoesDined on 8/16/2014Excellent food even better service. We will be going againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014We have Been to restaurant x many times it's a favorite but this time was a disappointment had to wait an hour for an appetizer and nothing seemed coordinated we were not happy. I don't know if I would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowboy rib-eye dealOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/16/2014What's not to love about the food and service, plus with the deal, you get a salad and dessert practically for free!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowboy Rib Eye for steak eatersgcminVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've been going to Peter Kelly's restaurants for decades but rarely go to Restaurant X because it is the furthest and least attractive of the group. But, the annual August Cowboy Rib Eye special makes it worth the trip. Perfectly cooked and complemented by an authentic Caesar salad and the creamed spinach and potatoes au gratin (not my favorite, but these are the best I've had) this is a meal that is a steak eaters delight. Leave room for the creme brulee.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014I ordered soft-shell crab. I thought that the accompaniments to the fried crab (fingerling potatoes and assorted vegetables) Were inappropriate. More fitting would have been something more traditional: Fried potatoes; cole slaw; corn on the cob, etc. My guest ordered the steak (hanger??) medium rare; it was medium/well. We did not comment at the time.Special Features:
- CrunchyDined on 8/14/2014Outstanding service by Israel, our waiter, and every other employee that we encountered. The food was excellent and we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bully Boy & Restaurant XTeacherDined on 8/13/2014We had been there for dinner several times before it was Rest. X. (I am sorry they do not feature the Beef Wellington for lunch. That was always my favorite.) It was noisier than expected bc at the next table was a couple with a baby but that did not detract from the overall experience. Still a great restaurant after all these years. Worth the trip across the Tappan Zee for me.Special Features:
- Joy2eatDined on 8/12/2014This restaurant has been consistently good for many years.it is owned by a group that takes pride in their restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!JoycecDined on 8/5/2014We were planning to visit friends who were staying in the Fishkill, NY area and checked online for a nice restaurant for dinner. After reading the reviews, Restaurant X jumped out at us as the place to try. We were very pleased that we did. We were all very happy with the food, it's presentation and the service. Our only problem is that we live 2 hours away and wouldn't be dining here as often as we would like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another great brunchMe22VIPDined on 8/3/2014One of our favorite brunch spots! We really do love this place and go here several times a year for brunch. They are usually very accommodating of dietary restrictions, but we had a bit of a rough time with them this go around. We had specifically noted on our reservation that 2 in our party are pescetarians, which they acknowledged on arrival. However, we had to remind them several times. The new manager (I'm assuming that who she was) was not all responsive to our needs and told us to wait for a pasta course that would be coming out later in the meal. She did not appreciate our concerns over missing out on numerous courses. One of the younger wait staff (Jeff) intervened and we ended up having some lovely dishes.Special Features:
- Restaurant X Cowboy Steak SpecialTerryDined on 8/2/2014Food was terrific and service also. The Creme Brûlée was cold, thought it was supposed to be served warm. We have done this before and in the past, the special Included a glass of select wine per person. Surprised that they Removed that option. This is a great restaurant but a little pricey-good for a special occaison. Should have left the complimentary Wine included.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014Have followed Peter Kelly from Garrison, NY, and love the food in all his restaurants. Service is good. Perhaps the only issue I have is the chairs in the "garden room"that need replacement. Noticed for the first time , and we have dined here many, many , times, that there is an issue with these chairs. Also, seems that the bus boys are in need of some monitoring. Maybe they need more training. Put "take home" steak and creamed spinach in the same container! Not a good idea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a disappointmentTashaVIPDined on 7/26/2014Continues to always be our favorite...and to top it off Yvonne and Daniel make the best pomegranate Martinis ever. Among our group we had Caesar salad, tuna tartare, risotto , duck , steak, soft shell crab and a scallop dish which were all wonderful. Will always return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TheNewMrsJDined on 7/26/2014The staff was great. When we arrived, it was not crowded and we were able to have a drink at the bar without feeling rushed. This is a place to enjoy the great food and relax with those you came with. The food was delicious - there was something for everyone on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef WellingtonDisappointedDined on 7/25/2014One of few restaurants that make this dish, and make it well. Food is very high quality and presented in an elegant fashion.Special Features:
- JedorDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I were there celebrating his birthday. I loved the scallop appetizer and my husband enjoyed his meal as well. The serving staff are very attentive. We look forward to going back perhaps for my birthday.Special Features:
- Lunch, Brunch, or DinnerHARTDined on 7/25/2014I have been to Restaurant X many times for lunch, Sunday brunch, Valentine's Day, my daughter's wedding shower, and dinner. I have always had a enjoyable experience. The food is excellent, the staff is experienced and helpful, and the ambiance (particularly in the room facing the pond) is calming and romantic. My friends who I brought for lunch were very happy with the prix fixe lunch menu and plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.