208 N. Walnut Street
Bloomington, IN 47404Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restauranttallent.com/
- Phone: 8123309801
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: David Tallent
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
- Catering: We offer off-site catering. Please call the Restaurant to inquire.
A word from Restaurant Tallent
Restaurant Tallent offers a beautiful modern space, delicious seasonal cuisine, and a carefully chosen wine list with several wines by the glass. The menu at Restaurant Tallent changes several times throughout the year and primarily reflects what is available in the Southern Indiana region during that season. Both David and Kristen Tallent design the menu with regionally produced cheeses, fruits, vegetables and meats as the raw material. To ensure that the highest quality meat and produce is available for seasonal menu items, Restaurant Tallent works closely with local farmers and artisan food producers. Their combination of Old World culinary methods and mid-Western produce and meats results in a distinctly Indiana cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Restaurant Tallent - Best Restaurants in Bloomington ›
Restaurant Tallent reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (39)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (27)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (23)good for groups (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful spot!DinesAndCooksVIPDined on 9/12/2014Went to Tallent with my wife while we were in town visiting IU. The food was great, inventive and fun; the staff was friendly and helpful; the restaurant itself was lively, but not noisy. Really, pretty much perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- corkyindyDined on 9/6/2014This is one of Indiana's very best restaurants, and could compete anywhere. Each dish was superbly prepared and detailed. The attention to detail for a 9 pm Saturday night dinner for 2 was remarkable. Great use of local, seasonal fresh ingredients. Even the bread and butter had a fresh take. Rabbit pasta, tuna appetizer with pickled watermelon relish, scallops with assorted beans--all beautiful as well as delicious. Save room for dessert, and if banana pudding or sweet corn ice cream is available, order them. Waitstaff is very attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- TRUE GEM!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014Big city quality with small town charm One of the best meals i have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Tasting Menu to Die FornpguyDined on 9/3/2014Superb experience. Did the tasting menu with wine flights. Dave Tallent at his best.Special Features:
- Great Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/30/2014Recently visited Bloomington and were very happy that Tallentt was recommended. Great food with attention to detail. Small plates so try a couple of different dishes. The decor was simple and clean, but the lighting was somewhat bright for dinner. Our service was excellent and the food was great. I would definitely recommend Tallentt for a finer dining experience.Special Features:
- Pretense....NYFoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014We're New Yorkers and "foodies." We had high expectations, but left disappointed. The service was excellent - - prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. The minimalist decor worked. We all had different dishes: The rabbit pasta was good, but laden with grease. The peculiar grilled cheese did not work with the otherwise excellent tomato soup. Finally, a main dish of seared scallops with only two scallops was inappropriate. While they were prepared quite well, the accompanying brisket was burnt on one side and all fat on the other. Ultimately, the menu was too pretentious or the execution and portion size just off.Special Features:
- Elegant menu in Southern IndianadeltaboyDined on 8/30/2014I was afraid to try the rabbit pasta but it was surprisingly very good. The fried chicken (dipped in maple syrup per server) was a bit too spicy but very crisp on outside and moist within. I enjoyed it sans the spices. Menu not suitable for kids and there was no kids menu. Ambiance a bit sterile and contemporary for my taste. Table cloths and candles could really warm the place up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findJameyDined on 8/22/2014My daughter recently started at IU Bloomington. I am now visit the city on a regular basis. I see this as an opportunity to eat at Tallent. The food is creative and delicious. The localsight find it a bit pricey, but as a New Yorker I find it very reasonably priced. The menus changes seasonally so you can always look forward to a new treat! They tent to use local ingredients. Their produce and dairy is as fresh as could be. I'm looking forward to visiting again in the fall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peak Hoosier Summer DessertsfruitloverDined on 8/15/2014We four came for desserts, got four selections and shared. The no-brainer for early August was peach-blackberry cobbler and it was indeed exquisite, and not too sweet, topped with a delicious sorghum and grits ice cream. Equally summeriffic, but more inspired was the heirloom tomato napoleon with basil semi-freddo (very desserty, btw) and tomato sorbet (more savory, but a perfect complement to the other elements), separated with nice phyllo crisps. We had come in hopes of sweet corn ice cream and found it one of desserts; that was a happy flavor paired with blueberry compote. Coffee (regular and decaf) was excellent, fresh, and piping hot. The servers were friendly, accommodating, and attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/4/2014I have never had a fabulous meal at Talent. As usual, there are one or two things that are great but the rest is mediocre.
- As good as it getsdfjcajDined on 7/29/2014Dave Tallent is truly a gifted chef. Both first courses and both second courses were perfect down to the tiniest detail of sauces and seasoing. The Zucchini waffle with homemade ice cream was a great end to a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommendedbdpattyVIPDined on 7/21/2014I love it when I find a restaurant that hits on all aspects of fine dining: great innovative food, impecable service, refined decore and wine offerings to match. Tallent is one of those places. Seek it out when you are in Bloomington IN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- World class surprise in BloomingtonrunningrobertDined on 7/15/2014Having eaten at some of the best restaurants in the US, this was a surprising treat. World class cuisine in Bloomington. Very creative menu with the freshest of ingredients and bold flavors. The menu changes seasonally to ensure the freshest ingredients-make sure you leave room for one of their outstanding desserts. A must visit restaurant for my wife and me, every time we visit our daughter at IU. Foodies will not be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Ran out of main courses by 8:00? Are you kidding me? Had the misfortune of being seated next to a large reunion of sorority sisters. That was not pleasant. Not planning to return any time soon. Not worth what we spent.
- Elegant RestaurantCorkSanAntonioDined on 7/7/2014Bloomington has a plethora of amazing food available. Tallent is the most expensive and elegant in the most modern setting. The food is great! My husband and I got the ribeye and split it. It was plenty of food for us. Would recommend Tallent as a special occasion restaurant since it isn't cheap, but really appreciate that the food is local and in season!Special Features:
- You'd never expect this in BtonfoodaliciousDined on 7/7/2014This is a place that you would expect somewhere much more metropolitan (pick a large city of culinary accolade.) The location is fairly spacious, light, open and airy, which unlike many other places in town is refreshing. The service is very prompt and on top of things, though it helps we went on a quieter Monday night. The food was excellent! Having lived in the SF Bay Area and spent plenty of time enjoying the myriad options in the city, this place is right in line with that. The crudo is a must; something which I cannot emphasize enough. Frankly, anything off the appetizer list is excellent (which is where we stayed for the night).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/5/2014We thought the food was outstanding--well executed, layered flavors. We ordered five dishes total, and we didn't have a complaint about any of them. The decor is minimalist with big windows for natural light. The focus is surely on the food, and it should be with food this good. I rated service three stars because, while the four different people that interacted with our table were supremely professional and knowledgeable, it felt tight and lacking of warmth. It was as if individual personality-- and human emotion --was suppressed for professionalism akin to the yesteryear of haute fine dining. It's ok to smile and laugh while using correct grammar and complete sentences, I promise. We'll be back, for sure, and hopefully service is warmer.Special Features:
- Always Exceptional!IndyMexVIPDined on 7/3/2014We hadn't dined here for a few months- so many great choices for dinner in Bloomington - however, maybe absence makes the heart grow fonder! The food was spectacular - the chef has a special way with pork! Great wine menu as well - unfortunately didn't leave room for dessert. Will return soon.Special Features:
- Did I say Brisket or Briquette?OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/26/2014I have found over time that if you come to the restaurant with one or more people, there's a fairly high risk that someone at the table will experience a major misstep along the way. This week it was a smoked brisket special, which we renamed a briquette. It was smoked, then seared, dry as a bone, consistency of rope, no sauce - just proudly settled on the plate like a duraflame log. I gather this concept's goal was to bring about the delectable burnt ends BBQ experience, only it completely missed the mark.My companion left 3/4 or more of it on her plate, mentioned the reason to our server but he and the kitchen were completely unresponsive. Everything else in the meal was very good but it's hard to get over receiving a $22 entree like that
- Traditional night outAnniversaryDined on 6/20/2014We made this place our traditional anniversary dinner spot about five years ago. It's main attraction for us is the tasting menu. What ever is offered, we just get it, no questions. It has always been wonderful. Sometimes the menu contains food items we would not typically order, but we eat it anyway and enjoy the adventure. It is nice they check with us prior to the meal for any food allergies. We will keep coming back. We have also bought gift certificates for our kids anniversary dinner and they have a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FixableBtownMomDined on 6/18/2014Long wait times for food are understandable when a restaurant is at capacity, but not when only five tables are being served. And food should be hot.Special Features:
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014My wife and I visited Restaurant Tallent on June 18, 2014 to celebrate our 20th Wedding Anniversary. We chose Restaurant Tallent because of their focus on utilizing locally sourced foods and their seasonal menu. We both had what we would describe as the best restaurant meal we have ever had. The food was prepared perfectly, the service was excellent and the restaurant decor and ambience were very nice. I would recommend Restaurant Tallent for any occassion.Special Features:
- morganDined on 6/17/2014The service was simply outstanding and the food exceeded the outstanding service. It was presented in an attractive manner and the taste was delicious. If you want a special dinner this is the place to experience it.Special Features:
- Great food and a locavore findFoodiefromOttawaDined on 6/16/2014Great food and very attentive staff. We had the Indiana fried chicken, Walleye and steak and had the crudo (sashimi tuna with various pickled vegetables that was a taste sensation). I will be revisiting here next time I'm in Bloomington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefanDined on 6/2/2014I wanted to introduce this restaurant to my friend who hasn't been there for a while since I thought the restaurant use locally grown and in season produces. On Monday, I had soft shell crab & asparagus soup. I thought both were too salty, especially the soup was way too salty for my taste. So after one spoon, I had to stop eating. My friend had Halibut, and he said it was cooked too long. I typically dine at this restaurant for a special occasion, but I was disappointed this time.
- The following 504 reviews are from the Restaurant Tallent reviews archive.
- Always a treatTeresaRDined on 5/14/2014For a fine dining experience in little Bloomington, Tallent can't be beat. We've been going there for years. Our kids also request it for special occasions even back when they were as young as 10 years old. Like all high end restaurants, gastronomic quality is stressed. The wait staff are generally the best in town. We highly recommend Tallent to anyone who is as enamored of high quality cuisine as we are.Special Features:
- Not the only Foodie game in town...AnnGoghDined on 4/19/2014The food was good, but the dinner portions were very small & I am a light eater. The menu was not exciting...one ok vegetarian entrée, fish, beef, lamb, chicken, pork. When Tallent first opened they were THE cool, hot spot to dine. These days they have a lot of competition & need to rev up their menu. Overall, I like the place; after my 3rd visit I'm still not excited & probably won't return.Special Features:
- Bloomington's FinestIUtravelerDined on 4/12/2014The food was very well prepared with subtle, complex seasonings. I had the pork belly (very succulent) and my wife had the halibut (they ran out of the walleye). The food was presented nicely and the portions were just right. My sides were ricotta grits, brussel sprouts, country ham and chestnuts. Simply amazing flavors. We had a waitress in training and she was okay. She forgot to remove plates between courses. My wife stated that her sauvignon blanc was outstanding and everything was done just right.Special Features:
- A Napa Valley find in B-TownMisplacedTexanVIPDined on 4/1/2014Oh what a find! After spending the past three years in the East Bay of California and visiting Napa or Sonoma Valley once every six weeks or so, we had become quite the foodies. Let me tell you, that Restaurant Tallent did not dissapoint! It was clear that the chef had trained at the CIA in St. Helena. The food was outstanding in both number and variety of ingredients and presentation but mostly just in the subtle and delicious flavors. The Winter Vegetable salad was fantastic, and the Halibut was cooked to perfection. My girls had the rib-eye steak which was phenomenal and required no seasoning at all. Dessert was perhaps the weakest point, but it was still quite good. As for the wine list, it was quite good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/1/2014All around great experience. Food and atmosphere was great.Special Features:
- Bloomington 2014suaveslavDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I looked forward to an overdue (6 years) return to Restaurant Tallent and were rewarded. A crudo appetizer of fluke and potato leek soup were very good. Fluke was seasoned with lemon and soup was robust and creamy. Pork belly with root vegetables and Alasak halibut with creamed cabbage and corned beef were excellent entree choices. The spicy Cajun popcorn was delectable surprise in between appetizers and entree. Very nice Oregon pinot noir was consumed and chocolate and beignets were the exclamation point. Bloomington has many dining options. For me, Restaurant Tallent is at the top of the list!Special Features:
- Superb dining! Exquisite tastesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014Superb dining! Exquisite tastes not to be found in other restaurants, all due to Chef Tallent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- REALLY Great!HappyDined on 3/13/2014Everything about this restaurant was wonderful. From the impecable service and food to the very pleasant atmosphere...flawless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A delight for the taste buds!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014Our experience at Tallent was exceptional. Every course was a taste delight with great Service and pleasant surroundings. Bloomington Has a real treasure in Chef Tallent and his crew. Enjoyed watching the hard working chefs in Kitchen as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is what to go for here.gjkloves2eatDined on 3/3/2014The food is very, very well presented at Talent. And the little pre-dinner treats were interesting. I'm trying to figure out the feta cheese dip served with the fried chips. Everything is so clean and fresh.Special Features:
- Outstanding dining experienceJeanDined on 2/24/2014Everything, & I mean everything, is top notch at this restaurant. The food makes you cry it is so good- my taste buds were thanking me for days! We had a wonderful experience, the staff is great! David is a suburb talent, pardon the pun- but the name of this restaurant says it all. I think Bloomington is extremely lucky to have Tallent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary fun!DJ44dineDined on 2/21/2014we celebrated our 44th anniversary at this restaurant and it was very relaxing. The food was wonderful and the service was, too. I've already recommended it to someone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big DisappointmentspecialnightDined on 2/15/2014We had read mixed reviews of Restaurant Tallent and decided to go with the positive comments for our special dinner out rather than the negative ones. We were SO disappointed. We were seated back by the kitchen where we heard all the conversations between the servers and the chef. We really didn't care which table needed soup, etc. Some of the food was okay and some wasn't. I left 3/4 of my entree because it tasted bad. Service was horrible. Our waiter was inattentive and other servers had to help out by clearing our dirty plates. I would not recommend this restaurant! The quality and atmosphere are not worth the high price.
- Great - as usualav2001Dined on 2/15/2014Tallent is the best restaurant in Bloomington, and one of the best you will ever visit anywhere. Fresh, locally-sourced ingredients, innovative combinations, and professional service all the way. I've been going for years and it never fails to impress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian night revisited.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2014Went a few months back and it was incredible. Our favorite date night spot. Service is attentive, without being overwhelming.Special Features: